I (we) have a problem and I (we) need a solution

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

peace2dastreets
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

I (we) have a problem and I (we) need a solution

Unread post by peace2dastreets » July 6th, 2007, 10:15 pm

Lately i've begun working with a youth outreach organization in a projects in my area trying to help the youths of the area to get off the streets and do productive things for themselves. But lately I've noticed a trend that I'm sure some of you guys have noticed or experienced. To make a long story short, I question our effectiveness. Don't get me wrong. Whenever I go in for work, I love it. The kids are pretty easy to deal with, they do their homework, play ball what not, pay attention for the most part and some of them are going to college and university next year. Thats the problem.

I can't help but feel that we're not reaching any of the youths who REALLY need the help. I call this the math-class paradox. In highschool, when the math teacher offered extra help to students during lunch or after school, the ones who showed up were almost always the ones getting 80's and 90's, while the one failing like mad never even showed up once. I feel like I'm helping the ones who are getting 80's or 90's, the ones who are gonna be 'somebody' whether or not I help them. Sure i do think them coming to our program helps them increase their potential, but I wanna be working with the gritty kids. The ones who, to be honest, we know are gonna grow up to be prisoners, outlaws and basically 'nobody's'. Sorry if that sounded harsh but i just wanted to real talk.

It kinda reminded me about the video that was posted earlier this week of the pastor giving the speech. To me, what he said was real talks and it needs to be said. But who's listening? The people who already agree with him hear that speach. The ones who can really benefit from hearing it prolly won't ever give it that much attention.

Yeah i know sometimes those young people grow up to realize things and pull out. But thats too late. I'm talkin about HOW CAN WE HELP THE YOUTH. So that they learn the lessons without losing the game.

I don't care if you have a reply thats specific to my example where you give me a suggestion of how to get the tough kids in, or if you have a comment to say about society in general. I just wanna hear some dialogue on this