Ask Me Dont Tell Me

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Ask Me Dont Tell Me

Unread post by Silencioso » November 20th, 2007, 10:37 pm

Here's an old documentary about San Francisco gangs in the late 50's/early 60's. The sounds not so great but it's still inteesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP-XN4UpNmM

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » November 22nd, 2007, 10:40 am

Theres another one on that page called 'gang boy' (1954) about Anglo and Mexican clubs in LA in the early 50's - very interesting and historical, check it

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » November 24th, 2007, 11:45 am

Yeah, it was interesting. The Mexicans in that movie were the Sharkies, the ancestors of Pomona 12th Street. The white gang is long gone.

Notice how the white dudes had thick country accents? Those were Okies. Okies used to a big group in L.A. County. El Monte, Bell Gardens, South Gate all had huge Okie communities.

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » April 29th, 2008, 3:39 pm

That's damn straight Silencioso. They were tough as nails moving here for work during the depression and mixed right in with the many white southerners here.
Silencioso wrote:Yeah, it was interesting. The Mexicans in that movie were the Sharkies, the ancestors of Pomona 12th Street. The white gang is long gone.

Notice how the white dudes had thick country accents? Those were Okies. Okies used to a big group in L.A. County. El Monte, Bell Gardens, South Gate all had huge Okie communities.