Is religion the gang prevention answer?

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

Goflove
What city do you live in now?: Birmingham

Is religion the gang prevention answer?

Unread post by Goflove » October 21st, 2008, 8:36 pm

One thing that I have noticed is that allot of former gang members who have turned their life around, have done so as a result of finding god, maybe if religion was a bigger part of their life to begin with would it have prevented them from being in a gang in the first place? What say u?

Peace.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re: Is religion the gang prevention answer?

Unread post by alexalonso » October 21st, 2008, 9:52 pm

Goflove wrote:One thing that I have noticed is that allot of former gang members who have turned their life around, have done so as a result of finding god, maybe if religion was a bigger part of their life to begin with would it have prevented them from being in a gang in the first place? What say u?

Peace.

good point, i think that faith in God can certainly help one get their life together.

AllhoodPublications
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Montreal

Unread post by AllhoodPublications » October 22nd, 2008, 9:54 am

A lot of inmates that claim to be catholic, christian, or of muslim faith continue down the path of destruction be it in prison or during their return to the streets.

Some people hide behind religeon, others use it to pass time, some use the church as a place to meet, talk and pass kites to other inmates on other yards or other parts of the jail/prison. You also have inmates who don't have family or support of their family and put their trust in religeon, only to turn back into the person/monster that they originally were during turbalent times.

Although the percentages may not be very high, but some hoodlums come from very religous families i.e. catholics, christianity, jehova witness and for those that do, they were sometimes embarassed as adolescents by it... i.e. being teased about going to church/sunday school, temple/mosque, strict parents, no pork etc..

I think the most important thing or common denominator associated with hoodlums and religeon is facing adversity.. thats usually when gangsters convert. The bible is without question the most circulated literature in any jail or prison.

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » October 22nd, 2008, 7:20 pm

that reminds me of how we use to make fun of one of my frends coz he don eat pork...

i don get it tho some people actually do day to day crime which is a sin and don eat pork coz its a sin? whats the point.

when your doing hard time i think its hard not to turn to God...its like when people get terminaly ill

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: --

Unread post by Azure9920 » October 22nd, 2008, 7:38 pm

A lot of those guys "turn" to religion in jail to look good for the board.

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » October 22nd, 2008, 7:40 pm

yea i was finna say that too ..lol

clipse
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by clipse » October 26th, 2008, 4:02 pm

Goflove wrote:One thing that I have noticed is that allot of former gang members who have turned their life around, have done so as a result of finding god, maybe if religion was a bigger part of their life to begin with would it have prevented them from being in a gang in the first place? What say u?

Peace.
YES!

AllhoodPublications
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Montreal

Unread post by AllhoodPublications » October 31st, 2008, 12:51 pm

Props!

i'd like to see someone dispute that.

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » November 1st, 2008, 5:42 pm

damn that shit u said at first was like some straight poetry i like that....Real stuff

but i don blame some parents...some parents try their best , and ive seen parents try everything but the kid jst flows away.....it is the high schools....the high schools are rough and the kids want to fit in and thats the process in which they end up gangster.

well u could say its the other kids parents that made their kids all rough n tough and the kids mess up the other kids and the more and more.

i was chillin with with a couple of youngster a week ago and they was tellin me how they mobb on niggaz...and one of them looked at his lil brotha n said you gon be mobbin too..and that lil dude was like hell yeaa

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Belize Nicaragua

Unread post by razbojnik » November 1st, 2008, 8:26 pm

Gang prevention answer = kill gang members on the spot.

dinky
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by dinky » November 12th, 2008, 6:04 pm

A lot of people involved in violent activity turn to god to try and cleanse their actions.By reconciling with god its like they can feel that if god forgives them then they can move on,even between crimes. Going to confession and feeling that because they've said ten hail marys or whatever that they paid their dues.Others just cant keep goin on livin the life and see religion as an out.

Tre
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tre » January 13th, 2009, 7:14 am

There are limits.... I once ran into this gangsta nigga at a park. He started telling me about his life and how he had turned his life over to Jesus. In mid-sentence he stopped and produced from his waist a chrome gun with a picture of Jesus engraved on its grip, dude started showing the grip off to me and started talking about how he keeps Jesus close to his heart.

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » January 13th, 2009, 7:32 am

yeah some dudes use god as a kind of excuse/justification/buffer to do bad ish.
like they pray before they rob people and then say to themselves that god understands why they do such things.
Dudes be living that reckless street life and say "god blessed me" when they get by and say "if god wants me hell take me when its my time".
the policeman that asks for protection in the morning is praying to the same god as the drug dealer asking for the coke deal to go smoothly.

JackM
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by JackM » February 12th, 2009, 12:24 pm

I don't think having God pushed on you at an early age works for anyone, potential gang members or otherwise.

I think the reason gang members turn to God is because they are ready at that point in their life to accept him as their savior. The paths they took lead them to that decision.

It's got to be natural progression.

Return to “Prevention, Intervention, Education and Awareness”