age and neighborhood

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

healthguy11
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

age and neighborhood

Unread post by healthguy11 » November 10th, 2008, 6:59 am

Hi, I'm new to this website and found some interesting stuff on here so far.

I have a couple things that I want to ask with regard to Prevention, Intervention, Education and Awareness.

First, I have just recently moved to South Los Angeles near Slauson and Normandie. This is gang territory in Los Angeles. I am 29 years old and in graduate school at USC. So, I am past the age of joining a gang. Or at least one would think so!

I just happened to pass by a group of mainly guys and a couple girls outside a park gym where I voted in the election. They were bbq'ing and offered me some meat. Since I am new in the area, I wanted to be friendly and so I accepted their offer.
We exchanged numbers and last Friday I was kind of bored so I called.

I heard that Hoover Crips were the main gang in the area, so I wanted to be careful not to get involved in gang activity, my reasons being I want to stay out of trouble and for my safety.

But the thing is, I'm full Korean and these guys were all Black and they are from Harvard Park Brims, which is a rival gang of Hoover Crips. They were all over the age of 25 too so I felt comfortable to be amongst people of the same age.

What to do when you're in a gang's neighborhood and you would like to be friends with them, but just as neighbors. I mean, I'd like to bbq with them on weekends or what not and be friendly.

What age do people grow out of these gangs? And what do you do when you're in this type of neighborhood?

Thanks, and sorry for the disorganized post, i've been up all night b/c of insomnia.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Belize Nicaragua

Re: age and neighborhood

Unread post by razbojnik » November 10th, 2008, 4:21 pm

LMAO how'd up end up in that god forsaken part of an American city...

Anyways, you will have problems once everyone gets to know you in the neighbourhood, with the Brims being your friends and the Crips being their rivals and the main guys in the area...

Well, if you get close with at least 20 of their members, within the next year, you should see one of them being killed, shot or stabbed, and you'll probably see someone get beaten every once in awhile, maybe a couple times monthly, if you go close to that shit.

I know you don't want to get involved, they'll probably understand too. Just be careful, and use street smarts and common sense to get out of sticky situations, and just avoid contact with the Hoovers overall because the gangs are soo fucking hard headed over there they'll kill you even if you didn't do anything but just happen to run into them.

But I'd move to Beverly Hills if I were you...

And who gives a crap if you don't wanna be in that gang shit, they'll pull you in and make you take sides, and they'll make it look like it thus you'll have problems anyhow.

There's a million alternatives and no linear route. Fate will decide but be careful and don't talk shit, EVER.

Pumpkin2
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Pumpkin2 » May 9th, 2009, 6:13 pm

a friend will never lead u to danger or bring danger to u. if they do, they are not friends .......a real man can stand alone to do the right thing

HiloBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by HiloBoy » May 9th, 2009, 8:16 pm

Go outside of your house w/ a sign that says free beer and bud and see how many homies you make...

Best way to get to know all those animals around where you live...

Klaxon
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Klaxon » July 21st, 2009, 11:52 pm

I would be very, very worried healthguy. It sounds like you're associating with the rival gang of where you live. That could be potentially explosive. How is it going so far? Have you considered moving to a less dangerous turf?

healthguy11

Unread post by healthguy11 » February 5th, 2010, 3:36 pm

it actually went ok... the whole experience. i finished my first year and a half with a 3.52 GPA at USC and moved into Law School Housing.

Thanks for the tips!

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » March 14th, 2010, 1:55 pm

So share what was your experience like. For the most part, for those who finds themselves in a similar situation. Just work your own program, and you should be okay (for the most part).

H572DSTA
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by H572DSTA » March 14th, 2010, 3:20 pm

healthguy11 wrote:Hi, I'm new to this website and found some interesting stuff on here so far.

I have a couple things that I want to ask with regard to Prevention, Intervention, Education and Awareness.

First, I have just recently moved to South Los Angeles near Slauson and Normandie. This is gang territory in Los Angeles. I am 29 years old and in graduate school at USC. So, I am past the age of joining a gang. Or at least one would think so!

I just happened to pass by a group of mainly guys and a couple girls outside a park gym where I voted in the election. They were bbq'ing and offered me some meat. Since I am new in the area, I wanted to be friendly and so I accepted their offer.

I heard that Hoover Crips were the main gang in the area, so I wanted to be careful not to get involved in gang activity, my reasons being I want to stay out of trouble and for my safety.

But the thing is, I'm full Korean and these guys were all Black and they are from Harvard Park Brims, which is a rival gang of Hoover Crips. They were all over the age of 25 too so I felt comfortable to be amongst people of the same age.

What to do when you're in a gang's neighborhood and you would like to be friends with them, but just as neighbors. I mean, I'd like to bbq with them on weekends or what not and be friendly.

What age do people grow out of these gangs? And what do you do when you're in this type of neighborhood?

Thanks, and sorry for the disorganized post, i've been up all night b/c of insomnia.
first of there aint no hoover hood where you live this 62 Brim hood

belife me they dont wanna be your friends...itz a strategy...they kind to you 4 certain reasons,they might wanna rob yo house or steal your car...

thats the same way in prison...if they too friendly itz a bad sign and you should watch yo ass

healthguy11

Unread post by healthguy11 » April 8th, 2010, 12:35 am

to share my experience, wow how to sum it all up... well,
first of there aint no hoover hood where you live this 62 Brim hood

belife me they dont wanna be your friends...itz a strategy...they kind to you 4 certain reasons,they might wanna rob yo house or steal your car...

thats the same way in prison...if they too friendly itz a bad sign and you should watch yo ass
i think this is somewhat true. whenever there was talk about me, it be about how I go to USC. the guy i kicked it most had already done time for murder, and yeah, he was extra friendly to me. we actually got a non-profit "Harvard Park Community Resources Coalition" successfully incorporated and I was the treasurer. a couple times i got taken for granted real bad. like there was one time when the guy i was closest with needed like $600, and i wasn't smart about it, and actually gave it to him. but, yeah, i met a good number of the 62 Brims. they would call me one of their homies and everything.

i actually met the mexican gang around that area too. my neighbor across the street was from Florencia and a whole bunch of kids used to come over to watch movies and drink beer. that, in retrospect, was dumb on my part too. because those kids (i don't even know exactly how old they were just that they were in high school) just really want to take advantage. i let one of them come over to one of my friends' house parties, but he got arrested on the way back to my car because he was a "known gangbanger."

i just stayed focused on my schoolwork and rolled with the punches. i did not cause any trouble, and knew what i was getting into if it meant breaking the law (we're talking drinking in public and such, not armed robbery or murder).

Sherlockelly
If in the United States: Northern Marianas Islands
What city do you live in now?: Medina

Unread post by Sherlockelly » May 12th, 2010, 3:17 am

healthguy11 wrote:Hi, I'm new to this website and found some interesting stuff on here so far.

I move out of state if I were you before you end up in their supper as in eating you alive or killed by one of them