Is Being In A Gang A Waste Of Time?

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Is Being In A Gang A Waste Of Time?

Unread post by Common Sense » September 22nd, 2004, 4:14 pm

ABSOLUTELY. Being in a gang is a waste of time and years from your life that you can never replace if your lucky enough to live.

I can touch on this from many different angles. My first angle is to touch on this matter from an ethnic point of view.

I'll start off with why I feel it's a waste of time for hispanics. I have known many hard working latinos from all over Latin America, some being first, second and third generation Americans. The people that broke ground to come to America has my biggest respect of all, because most of us could never think about leaving the home we love and our relatives and family support to take up life in another country. These hard worker men and women are looking for better opportunites for their children that they themselve never had. They are hoping their kids would grow up and be the men and women that are making things happen like so many others in America or similar first world countries.

What I feel is a damn shame, is when a young man or woman throws all that out the window and start gang bangin'.

I had asked a man from a peaceful town in El Salvedor who's son was murder through gang violence, would he had come to America knowing his son's fate. He replied No Way! I loved my son. He meant everything to me.

Latin American culture is beautiful and it's close. There is a sense of cultural pride with it's many son's and daughters....why discrace that with gang violence.

So many people down south wish they had a crack at opportunity that gang bagers throw away in the street or ignore all together.

Black people that are gang bangin' really need to re read their history and re-study civil rights. Black gang members have pretty much re instititionalized Jim Crows laws again. I can go where I want, I can't eat where I want, I'm being hasseled 24-7. Many civil rights leaders busted there backs and endured all kids of racism, attacks, humility and bom threats just so young black people didn't have to grow up the way they did. Blacks no longer are state segragated or denied basic rights, but so many young blacks are today through gang violence. Black gangsters have taken 10 steps backwards and don't even know it. That's what Bill Cosby was sayin'. Fools can read or write and they think it's cool.
You see it on this forum all day long. Youngsters practicing poor english and mis spellings..and they think it's cool. Ignorance is bliss from what I'm told.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Re: Is Being In A Gang A Waste Of Time?

Unread post by Lonewolf » September 22nd, 2004, 5:19 pm

First off I would like to quote you from the topic you posted that led us to this thread, you wrote the following statement;

"To be blunt about it, being in a gang is a time waster. You waste time that you can never regain ever again. You miss out on oppotunites to meet with people that can be an asset to your cause and help you grow as an individual. Being in a gang is also a form of bottom feeding, which can make it more difficult to climb the ladders of success. So far your lucky that you only wasted 9 years of your life. Don't waste anymore years.

Always remember...bottom feeding is reserved for the fool who doesn't know any better, and from what it sounds like to me, that's not where you want to be in 5 years."

The big problem that I have with this is not your opinion, it is your words used "bottom feeders".

Sometime ago I invited you to participate in a topic regarding some flak I got for my usage of words - remember that. And you gave me some good advise, now I return the advise because frankly speaking "you came out wrong".

I would ask first, Have you or any of your loved ones ever belonged to a gang ?

Understanding the help you're trying to give with a push towards education, what makes you think that just by having an education it makes you better than the rest ?

Is'nt society all about those living in it and finding solutions for its woes ?
Wouldn't you agree that by dissin' people and alienating them, you've just become the enemy that can not break through the line separating both worlds ?

So many other questions that I can throw at you, but I'll sufice to inform you that I serve my country faithfully and jealously every day, I do my part in society, but I disagree on a whole range of issues with mainstream, this because I have respect for the street warriors. They don't come just from south of the border or from remnants of the civil rights movement, they don't come just from the ghettos or from disenfranchised America.

They come from among our familes, being fed first discrimination, then non-equal opportunity, then pop-culture frenzy from corporate America.
They come from a young age that doesn't agree with the hipocrisy that our adult world shows them and tries to sell to them.
Being that they are young and original, they try to find meaning and values that are their own.

You are going to disrespect me and those in my familia without knowing our struggle, our bonds, our thinking, and yes not knowing our success.

We learn just as good as anybody else, sad to say a lot of ours don't make it out, and this is what we need to address and try to throw out a lifejacket with example and not with trash talk.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 22nd, 2004, 6:45 pm

LW:
***The big problem that I have with this is not your opinion, it is your words used "bottom feeders". ****

Okay... I can understand that, it's not very flaterring.

Bottom feeding may be a harsh word to use, but it's a dysfuctional mentality and a corrupt way of life I'm trying to describe here, which only results in............ I wish I could have????

My point is we don't have to wait until we go to prison or lose a loved one to learn our lessons in life. Most people know what's right from wrong and what's healthy and lethal. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. The problem is..we get comfortable in dysfunction and familiar only to it's way of life. That's why most won't change. Change is scary for alot of people even if it's for the best. Will Not Do It.

Sure I've had family members take this same path, some didn't make it unfortunately. Did it have to go that way for them,........Absolutely not.
I could blame many people for their demise, but at the time of their untimely deaths, they were adults, so ultimately they were responsible for their actions and fatality.

Children and teenagers...I really feel parents need to be held a certain amount of responsibility.

LW:
*****Understanding the help you're trying to give with a push towards education, what makes you think that just by having an education it makes you better than the rest ?*****

No I'm not only pushing education, I'm pushing a positive and nuturing lifestyle. If your lifestle is chaotic...you have a 10 fold chance of failure. This doesn't happen to everybody, but it happens to alot of people.

LW:
***Is'nt society all about those living in it and finding solutions for its woes ? Wouldn't you agree that by dissin' people and alienating them, you've just become the enemy that can not break through the line separating both worlds ? ****

I'm not dissing people, but I am being blatently honest with no sugar coating. Gang violence is not living. You are already dead, your only waiting on your number to be called. Which I think is ridiculous and a waste of life. So much more can be done with your life than throw it out in the streets. You play the gaame long enough, that's exactly where it's going.

LW:
***They come from among our familes, being fed first discrimination, then non-equal opportunity, then pop-culture frenzy from corporate America. They come from a young age that doesn't agree with the hipocrisy that our adult world shows them and tries to sell to them.
Being that they are young and original, they try to find meaning and values that are their own.***

Most people have problems in society. We all have been discriminated from one degree to another, but that does not give us the right for civil disobedience.

LW:
***You are going to disrespect me and those in my familia without knowing our struggle, our bonds, our thinking, and yes not knowing our success.***

I'm not disrespecting your family at all. If your family is the gang, all I can say is, I don't agree with the lifestyle, and I feel they are missing out and being self short changed.

LW:
***We learn just as good as anybody else, sad to say a lot of ours don't make it out, and this is what we need to address and try to throw out a lifejacket with example and not with trash talk.***

Life jackets are available and have been available. The questions is....who is willing and ready to catch one.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » September 22nd, 2004, 7:14 pm

It's all good on what you're saying CM, still there is a nostalgia about belonging because the big outside world is alien to our daily struggle, and all those cares of that world are just about getting ahead, money and power which trickles down the pipeline in the wrong way.
I have tried but have failed to explain the Barrio Life as opposed to the Gangster Life, they go hand in hand but there is a fundamental difference and that is in Barrio Life you keep you head on a level of reality where you can have a crowd but yet keep it in check.
See the history of this Nation and how from lil' kids you are fed war, see the violence in the cartoons and movies, see how the Armed Services are glamorized.
The struggles of the past have given way to the popularizing of the gangster culture in the media, but it is being pushed by those in the upper classes for their profit, so tell me how those educated and powerful ones can look the street warrior in the face and say that they are losers.
I have said before and I say it again, the Homies have more heart, courage, honor, and so many other good qualities that they learned from the street because the real world lacks in it and does not play by those good qualities in a man - true we go astray, but "what if" we could meet minds and develope a way out enriching those qualities - that is what the gang and street teaches us to where we climb out and be productive with more insight and heart than any school can teach you - so it is not a wasted time, and it is not for fools or bottom feeders, we are victims and victimizers just like the rest of society.

BABYBRAZE
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BABYBRAZE » September 22nd, 2004, 7:35 pm

^^ thats sum real words ^ nice

babylimpy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by babylimpy » September 22nd, 2004, 9:18 pm

i got jail time for being in a street gang,broken family,very bad drug addiction,no the gang did not make me do the things i did ,BUT it was a big influence on me. i'm the one that was always left out,the school nerd,i joined to try to fit in

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 22nd, 2004, 9:31 pm

lonewolf wrote: I have said before and I say it again, the Homies have more heart, courage, honor, and so many other good qualities that they learned from the street because the real world lacks in it and does not play by those good qualities in a man - true we go astray, but "what if" we could meet minds and develope a way out enriching those qualities - that is what the gang and street teaches us to where we climb out and be productive with more insight and heart than any school can teach you - so it is not a wasted time, and it is not for fools or bottom feeders, we are victims and victimizers just like the rest of society.
I hear you Lonewolf. We cannot choose are families and out heritage. Sometimes we are born into certain circumstances that is beyond our control.
If you are brought up to live this lifestyle as you say, then I can agree with your above quote. I do believe it's good to have street smarts just like anything else that is learned..so I can see where you are coming from.
Many street soldiers that I have spoken with in the past reached a point in their lives, when they wanted basic things like everyone else.
People want homes and security for their family. People want to grow old and be around their family (adult kids and grandkids). People get to a point in their lives when they are tired of gettin' sweated everywhere they go.
G's with kids... regardless of how hard they try to come across, want nothing but the best for their kids that's within their financial means. The only way the kid is going to learn these traits is through family and positive role models. I'll be the first to admit, latin culture is rich and beautiful on it's own, all that other BS of being hard...is just what it is BS.
No one can help their people or add to their people from prison or the grave yard. We can all help end the cycle of violence and death, but first we have to admit our shortcomings so we can grow and move on.

J-DUB
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by J-DUB » September 23rd, 2004, 1:54 pm

lonewolf wrote:It's all good on what you're saying CM, still there is a nostalgia about belonging because the big outside world is alien to our daily struggle, and all those cares of that world are just about getting ahead, money and power which trickles down the pipeline in the wrong way.
I have tried but have failed to explain the Barrio Life as opposed to the Gangster Life, they go hand in hand but there is a fundamental difference and that is in Barrio Life you keep you head on a level of reality where you can have a crowd but yet keep it in check.
See the history of this Nation and how from lil' kids you are fed war, see the violence in the cartoons and movies, see how the Armed Services are glamorized.
The struggles of the past have given way to the popularizing of the gangster culture in the media, but it is being pushed by those in the upper classes for their profit, so tell me how those educated and powerful ones can look the street warrior in the face and say that they are losers.
I have said before and I say it again, the Homies have more heart, courage, honor, and so many other good qualities that they learned from the street because the real world lacks in it and does not play by those good qualities in a man - true we go astray, but "what if" we could meet minds and develope a way out enriching those qualities - that is what the gang and street teaches us to where we climb out and be productive with more insight and heart than any school can teach you - so it is not a wasted time, and it is not for fools or bottom feeders, we are victims and victimizers just like the rest of society.
GOOD SH*T LONE

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » September 23rd, 2004, 7:51 pm

Quote CM: I hear you Lonewolf. We cannot choose our families and our heritage. Sometimes we are born into certain circumstances that is beyond our control.

A: Everyone makes choices in their life, good and bad ones, and it doesn't matter what heritage or family you belong to, the fact remains that street warriors come from all walks of life and from all the races, some have large numbers represented in one city or area, but it reverses itself from place to place, city to city, and country to country. So the question becomes as to why the well to do and non so fortunate, join gangs or clutter around the lifestyle. You have seen the rise of gangs growing in numbers and into localities far from their old strongholds into the suburbs and into nice neighborhoods for lack of a better term, so ask yourself what is the appeal because it is no longer just Chicanos from the Barrio or Blacks from the Ghetto participating.
Maybe Sir, it is part of that chaos that us adults have in our lives which alienates us from our families and children, trying to instill in them the values which we don't practice ourselves. Most of the time we don't really see or listen to what is going on in their daily because we are so caught up with our ego daily.

Quote CM: If you are brought up to live this lifestyle as you say, then I can agree with your above quote. I do believe it's good to have street smarts just like anything else that is learned..so I can see where you are coming from.

A: It is more than a lifestyle, don't you get it "it is a bond" something that you don't find to easily in this world, something that can't be bought, something that can't be taken way, something that you can depend on for better or for worse, even with your life depending on it. Kind of like the military where you rely on your men to get you thru.
There is good and bad just like in your family or circle of friends. You are accepted and are a participant with full membership and say so.

Quote CM: Many street soldiers that I have spoken with in the past reached a point in their lives, when they wanted basic things like everyone else.
People want homes and security for their family. People want to grow old and be around their family (adult kids and grandkids). People get to a point in their lives when they are tired of gettin' sweated everywhere they go.

A: This I know too well, we all get to that point after la vida loca, the same goes for any teenager or wild one out there after they went and focked up their early years, but this is not necessarily only with having belonged to a gang. I have witnessed white boys and white girls lose themselves big time into drugs and prostitution, ending up in the streets, thrown out or runaways, some I tried to help as I can, others just some words of comfort and some feria, my lil brother was better at this, always bringing in people for dinner. These kids were more lost than the gang members because they were rejected by their kin and did not have anyone whom they can rely on and let go of some of those ill feelings.
They didn't meet their parents or family's expectations and were rejected.

As to being sweated, well I don't know about that, if you're going to go to the neighborhoods where you created some problems, sure is bound to happen, on the other hand most of us that have the wisdom to not come out the house like riders and behave wherever we go "do not get bothered" because we are no longer in the game per say and are recognized by the players as such. I go everywhere, I still maintain my crease, and shave my head, still have somewhat the stroll, and definitely the aspect - hence the moniker my family gives me of "cholo" - this however is not my placaso from the hood, just what my family calls me affectionately. Don't be too deceived by some not making the cut right, there is a discipline "still" out in the streets that recognizes. Just as well there is always "idiots" everywhere you go, most of the trouble I come across after my days is with non-gangmembers that have no respect, for your lady, for your rights, etc. Just look any day during traffic with that road rage madness.

Quote CM: G's with kids... regardless of how hard they try to come accross, want nothing but the best for their kids that's within their financial means. The only way the kid is going to learn these traits is through family and positive role models. I'll be the first to admit, latin culture is rich and beautiful on it's own, all that other BS of being hard...is just what it is BS.

A: Everyone has good in their culture, Hispanics, Black, Whites, Asians, Arabs, and for the most part we all want to give our children a better opportunity in life, but we can not alienate them from experience. I grew up in the Barrio with a large family, every night we be out playing, every holiday the whole neighborhood celebrated, you would go here and eat there, spend time with these people and then join another bunch - carefree, sharing, getting to know all your neighbors. Sure a fight here and a fight there, then get our ears pulled by your aunts or moms, so you keep it in check. None of that now, but is not because there's no mom's or family, it is because "good living" now requires that both parents work, uncle sam now decides what to be taught in school from a young age, the law restrains the discipline a parent can give their children, corporate America tells you what to wear and be like. On and on I can go with this.

Quote CM: No one can help their people or add to their people from prison or the grave yard. We can all help end the cycle of violence and death, but first we have to admit our shortcomings so we can grow and move on.

A: Yes they can, it is not the most desirable way but it can be done and it is being done by many.
The cycle of violence is something that can best be addressed on a mass scale by the media, law enforcement, government, and church, but it has to be sincere and full hearted - not no lip service and definitely no half ass effort for popularity and votes.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 27th, 2004, 6:37 pm

Quote Lonewolf: so ask yourself what is the appeal because it is no longer just Chicanos from the Barrio or Blacks from the Ghetto participating.
Maybe Sir, it is part of that chaos that us adults have in our lives which alienates us from our families and children, trying to instill in them the values which we don't practice ourselves. Most of the time we don't really see or listen to what is going on in their daily because we are so caught up with our ego daily.

A: I believe Mtv brought gangsterism into every household acoss the country and into the cornfields.

Quote Lonewolf: It is more than a lifestyle, don't you get it "it is a bond" something that you don't find to easily in this world, something that can't be bought, something that can't be taken way, something that you can depend on for better or for worse, even with your life depending on it. Kind of like the military where you rely on your men to get you thru.
There is good and bad just like in your family or circle of friends. You are accepted and are a participant with full membership and say so.

A: I agree. I'm sure it is like a bond. Most people have a bond especially when they are in a certain predicament, eg. military, mental hospital, sports team and etc. The more extreme the experience the extreme the bond.

Quote Lonewolf: This I know too well, we all get to that point after la vida loca, the same goes for any teenager or wild one out there after they went and focked up their early years, but this is not necessarily only with having belonged to a gang. I have witnessed white boys and white girls lose themselves big time into drugs and prostitution, ending up in the streets, thrown out or runaways, some I tried to help as I can, others just some words of comfort and some feria, my lil brother was better at this, always bringing in people for dinner. These kids were more lost than the gang members because they were rejected by their kin and did not have anyone whom they can rely on and let go of some of those ill feelings.
They didn't meet their parents or family's expectations and were rejected.

A: True true...That's too bad.

As to being sweated, well I don't know about that, if you're going to go to the neighborhoods where you created some problems, sure is bound to happen, on the other hand most of us that have the wisdom to not come out the house like riders and behave wherever we go "do not get bothered" because we are no longer in the game per say and are recognized by the players as such. I go everywhere, I still maintain my crease, and shave my head, still have somewhat the stroll, and definitely the aspect - hence the moniker my family gives me of "cholo" - this however is not my placaso from the hood, just what my family calls me affectionately. Don't be too deceived by some not making the cut right, there is a discipline "still" out in the streets that recognizes. Just as well there is always "idiots" everywhere you go, most of the trouble I come across after my days is with non-gangmembers that have no respect, for your lady, for your rights, etc. Just look any day during traffic with that road rage madness.

A: Good point Lonewolf

Quote Lonwolf: Everyone has good in their culture, Hispanics, Black, Whites, Asians, Arabs, and for the most part we all want to give our children a better opportunity in life, but we can not alienate them from experience. I grew up in the Barrio with a large family, every night we be out playing, every holiday the whole neighborhood celebrated, you would go here and eat there, spend time with these people and then join another bunch - carefree, sharing, getting to know all your neighbors. Sure a fight here and a fight there, then get our ears pulled by your aunts or moms, so you keep it in check. None of that now, but is not because there's no mom's or family, it is because "good living" now requires that both parents work, uncle sam now decides what to be taught in school from a young age, the law restrains the discipline a parent can give their children, corporate America tells you what to wear and be like. On and on I can go with this.

A: It sounds like you are one of the lucky one's. Many yg's don't have that family support system. They are fighting their family just like if they were from a enemy hood.

Quote Lonewolf:it is not the most desirable way but it can be done and it is being done by many.
The cycle of violence is something that can best be addressed on a mass scale by the media, law enforcement, government, and church, but it has to be sincere and full hearted - not no lip service and definitely no half ass effort for popularity and votes.

A: I agree. I feel stopping the cycle of violence starts at a young age. I believe it's easier not to get caught and live nonviolently than gettting caught up and trying to change. Some are able while some are not.

That's why I feel that someone who banged should make every effort to steer there kids from that lifestyle from day one, because if that kid follow old traditional footsteps, he or she may not make it. It's a lose lose situation. Everybody's sada dn wondering "what could I have done."

CHRIS
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by CHRIS » September 27th, 2004, 6:42 pm

babylimpy wrote:i got jail time for being in a street gang,broken family,very bad drug addiction,no the gang did not make me do the things i did ,BUT it was a big influence on me. i'm the one that was always left out,the school nerd,i joined to try to fit in
WAS IT THE LOCAL STREET THUG CRIPS?

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 27th, 2004, 6:48 pm

Also Lonewolf:

To do things right man, it takes a life time to pass on and teach rightous living to the next generation. It takes role models giving good examples through daily rightous living. How can I promote positive living if I'm living semi scandelous.

Kids pick up on everything. If I got the cholo stroll, it's a good chance my boy will adopt it. He may not be as good as me at keeping out of the line of fire. If something happen to my boy, the first thing I'm thinking is what could I have done?

There is so much out there to enjoy and add to one's culture. There is so much out there to make one's life a little richer, but if a homie ain't learning new ideas, he is pretty much stuck in a time warp. La Famalia becomes stagnant.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » September 27th, 2004, 7:06 pm

There is always the chance that youngsters will pick up bad habits from us olden ones, be us in a gang or not. The fact remains that you have to be on the real with them and not be a fake, they also need to know that you know what you're talking about especially when they are living in the middle of it.
There is certain things that stay with you for life which are not bad things in themselves - like the stroll - it is not like in the olden rider days at all, and this I point out because again I say, you need to have a bond that is understood when you try to be an example.
Sure I appreciate your words of wisdom and your care for taking the time, you are an ally in the education, but please do not make the mistake of disenfranchising yourself with stereotyping of the ways without first understanding it all, and for that "you first have to meet heads".

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 27th, 2004, 8:02 pm

lonewolf wrote: but please do not make the mistake of disenfranchising yourself with stereotyping of the ways without first understanding it all, and for that "you first have to meet heads".
I can agree with you there. I don't want to come across as over simplying when I speak/write in generalities. I'm sure it boils down to a case by case basis.

I do take every man and woman as an individual regardless of dress or style. I'm not the type to stereotype people when I meet them. I may get on my high horse and sound like a hardliner, but that's not the case with me. It's hard to express emotions online, so people take you on how they perceive you.

A forum such as this..you have all types from all places with a wide range of experince and understanding. Everyone is going to comprehend the information.

I am pro education, but it doesn't have to be formal education. This forum is education. Learning from someone else is education. Growing and improving one's self. That's what I promote at large.

I can kick it with a shaved head, a nappy head or a spiked head it makes no difference to me. As long as that person comes at me correct.

Maybe being in a gang works out for some people, but I think at the cost of being in the gang (jail, camp, prison, felony, paralysis, death) despite the benefits (brotherhood, comaraderie, protection, n/h respect, status) it's just not worth it. You can get these same benefits through other positive resources plus much more.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » September 27th, 2004, 8:10 pm

No doubt on your last, but all is good with moderation.
There is a proverb from the GOOD WORD that says

"All" is permitted me, but not "all" is beneficial to me.
"All" is permitted me, but I will not be enslaved by "all".

Changed the exact words, but you get my drift.

J-DUB
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by J-DUB » September 27th, 2004, 10:52 pm

WHOSE TO SAY THAT BEING IN A GANG IS RIGHT OR WRONG? ITS A CHOICE. U EITHER CHOOSE TO BE IN THAT LIFESTYLE OR U DONT. MYSELF AND ALL THE OTHER GANG MEMBERS CHOOSE THAT LIFE STYLE FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER. BUT JUST BECAUSE THE NEXT PERSON CHOICE NOT TO JOIN A GANG DONT MAKE THEM BETTER, OR SMARTER THEN SOMEONE WHO IS IN A GANG.

I KNOW PEOPLE WHO WENT TO COLLEGE, GOT THEIR DEGREE AND NOT DOIN SHIT with IT. WENT TO SCHOOL ALL THEM YEARS AND WORKIN FOR MINIMUM WAGE. THEN ON THE OTHER HAND, U GOT SUCCESSFUL GANG MEMBERS. AND WHAT I MEAN BY THAT IS, GANG MEMBERS WHO OUT THERE DOIN THE DAMN THANG. WORKIN 9-5 JOBS, GOT THEY OWN BUSINESS, ROLLIN TIGHT WHIPS, TAKIN KARE OF RESPONSIBILITIES, OR WHATEVER THE KASE MAY BE JUST DOIN SOMETHING with THEY SELF, OTHER THAN SELLIN DRUGS, DOIN DRIVE BYS AND JUST KAUSE HAVOK, BUT YET STILL IN THAT GANG LIFE. BEING IN A GANG IS NOT GUARANTEED FAILURE, WASTE OF TIME, OR JUST PLAIN AZZ DESTRUCTION OR NOT BEING IN GANG, IS NOT GUARANTEED, GOIN TO COLLEGE, DOIN ALL THAT "GOOD STUFF". ITS HOW U WORK THE CHOICE YOUR GONNA MAKE.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 28th, 2004, 7:58 am

J-DUB wrote:WHOSE TO SAY THAT BEING IN A GANG IS RIGHT OR WRONG? ITS A CHOICE. U EITHER CHOOSE TO BE IN THAT LIFESTYLE OR U DONT. MYSELF AND ALL THE OTHER GANG MEMBERS CHOOSE THAT LIFE STYLE FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER. BUT JUST BECAUSE THE NEXT PERSON CHOICE NOT TO JOIN A GANG DONT MAKE THEM BETTER, OR SMARTER THEN SOMEONE WHO IS IN A GANG.
That is true. We have make choices in life. We are all responsible for our own actions.
J-DUB wrote:I KNOW PEOPLE WHO WENT TO COLLEGE, GOT THEIR DEGREE AND NOT DOIN SHIT with IT. WENT TO SCHOOL ALL THEM YEARS AND WORKIN FOR MINIMUM WAGE.
That's all relative. A college degree doesn't necessairly means phat cash flow automatically, especially these days, but you will get personal growth and exposure to more information, which makes you more probable to make better choices whatever that is.
J-DUB wrote:THEN ON THE OTHER HAND, U GOT SUCCESSFUL GANG MEMBERS. AND WHAT I MEAN BY THAT IS, GANG MEMBERS WHO OUT THERE DOIN THE DAMN THANG. WORKIN 9-5 JOBS, GOT THEY OWN BUSINESS, ROLLIN TIGHT WHIPS, TAKIN KARE OF RESPONSIBILITIES, OR WHATEVER THE KASE MAY BE JUST DOIN SOMETHING with THEY SELF, OTHER THAN SELLIN DRUGS, DOIN DRIVE BYS AND JUST KAUSE HAVOK, BUT YET STILL IN THAT GANG LIFE..
Yes you do have some successful gang members take care of business out there, usually these are the one's that woke up for one reason or another. It could be this person had a better up bringing with his own family, could be because of marriage, or a new child, or maybe just older and a little tired of street life. This is a minority group, but they do exist.
J-DUB wrote:BEING IN A GANG IS NOT GUARANTEED FAILURE, WASTE OF TIME, OR JUST PLAIN AZZ DESTRUCTION OR NOT BEING IN GANG, IS NOT GUARANTEED, GOIN TO COLLEGE, DOIN ALL THAT "GOOD STUFF". ITS HOW U WORK THE CHOICE YOUR GONNA MAKE.
Nor does it guarantee success. Being in a gang makes you more likely and increases your chances significantly for a life of destruction, despair, and death from the streets (which is the ultimate failure). The risk of being in a gang for outreach the benefits of being in a gang.

Take a trip down to Rancho Los Amigos Rehabilitation Center sometimes. Look at how many young homies are scootin' around in wheel chiars from the choice that they made. There choice will be with them for the rest of their lives. Ask them if they had a second chance, what would they do, now that they are a little older and wiser.

J DUB, sometimes we are our own worse enemy. We can't get over because of the dumb choices we make.

J-DUB
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by J-DUB » September 28th, 2004, 2:22 pm

J DUB, sometimes we are our own worse enemy. We can't get over because of the dumb choices we make.

^^^ QUOTE FROM CM: U RIGHT CM, I AGREE with THAT. LET ME ASK U A QUESTION THO. U SEEM TO BE SO HARD ON US GANG MEMBERS AND LOOK DOWN ON US, HAVE U EVER BEEN IN A GANG?? AROUND THAT LIFE STYLE? I JUST WANNA KNOW WHY ARE U SO DEAD SET ON BEING IN A GANG BEING A WASTE OF TIME.

BABYBRAZE
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BABYBRAZE » September 28th, 2004, 4:14 pm

prolly kause no gang will let him in - juss playin

J-DUB
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by J-DUB » September 28th, 2004, 4:16 pm

LOL

Kemosave
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Kemosave » September 28th, 2004, 4:17 pm

Or he had too much common sense to go out like that?

J-DUB
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by J-DUB » September 28th, 2004, 4:18 pm

GO OUT LIKE WHAT?

BABYBRAZE
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BABYBRAZE » September 28th, 2004, 4:19 pm

to go out like a gangsta -

J-DUB
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by J-DUB » September 28th, 2004, 4:33 pm

KANT NOBODY KHANGE MY VIEWS ON BEING IN A GANG

BABYBRAZE
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BABYBRAZE » September 28th, 2004, 4:41 pm

same ^ n i dont see y u wuld b on a gang site if u thought they wus a waste of time.. but theres obviously sumthin im missin

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 28th, 2004, 5:04 pm

J-DUB wrote:J DUB, sometimes we are our own worse enemy. We can't get over because of the dumb choices we make.

^^^ QUOTE FROM CM: U RIGHT CM, I AGREE with THAT. LET ME ASK U A QUESTION THO. U SEEM TO BE SO HARD ON US GANG MEMBERS AND LOOK DOWN ON US, HAVE U EVER BEEN IN A GANG?? AROUND THAT LIFE STYLE? I JUST WANNA KNOW WHY ARE U SO DEAD SET ON BEING IN A GANG BEING A WASTE OF TIME.

I don't look down on you or any other person, whether your in a gang or not. That's not my style. It's all about perception. You may think I'm being hard on you or against you, but another way to look at it is.....here is a guy who cares even if it's not what I want to hear. I also know that, by continuing this path you are MOST LIKELY going to have obstacles and unnecessary set backs.

When I came to this website, there was no awareness and prevention section. Mostly everything on hear as about ridin' and throwin' them up.

I asked Alonso to invent this arena so I can start sharing alternative information.

I have never been in a gang (by choice), I've been around that lifestyle on many different levels. My oppostion toward gang life is not because I have something personal against it, it's more or less that I have seen first, second and third hand, the destruction from it. I have seen generations of young men and women get in sucked into this make-believe glamour of gang life. Most of the time you become so intoxicated by it, you don't even realize that your throwing your life in the gutter. When everybody around you is addicted to the same violence and drama, there is no way for you to know any better. Who is going to tell you. All the information around you is the same. Nothing new or different is coming in.

That's why I use my valuble time to come on this site and offer some information. J DUB, I don't have to be here. My life is great. I could care less what gang is doing what, or who's ridin' on who, what's the latest gang wear. I really don't care. What I do care about is young people not having the opportunity to hear something different or learn alternative ways to destructive living. This is my part to the cause. Rather than shake my head complain and point my finger, I come on this site to offer information. Sometimes unpleasant, sometimes unpopular, but very important. The greatest give you can give JDUB is your time, because most people don't have time for you..including famliy. Time is precious. We lose more time everyday. Never give your time away to an unworthy cause, because you cannot get that time back. It's gone forever.

When you use so much of your time learning and practicing to be less than, you will ultimately be...less than. Think about people you know close to you. How well are they really doing? Do they have to struggle to survive legally? Do they have what they need to live comfortably? Are they really happy with their lives? Do they really enjoy the person they picked to have a baby with? Do they ever talk about wanting better for themselves or their kids, but don't know what they are going to do about it?

Improving your life takes practicing and sometimes years to get in order, but if all you practice is living a poverished life, or a street life...you are only going to go so far.

You really have to be honest with yourself and ask yourself. Is this the best I can do?

For some people that is the best they can do. They cannot do any better than ride up and down the street claiming a neighborhood that the city can come and take back any time they want.

Another way to look at it JDUB, is from an african american point of view. Do you know how many people really sacrificed themselves, by getting their azz's kicked regularly, water hosed by the FD, bitten by police dogs, churches bombed, spat on, cursed at, while they were trying to get equal rights so YOU wouldn't have to endure that. You don't have to deal with that JDUB...because people before you stepped up to the next level for themselves and for you. That was only 35 years ago. That wasn't that long ago.

Supposed those people didn't do anything except post up by the liquor and claim a set or a hood. Do you think your life would be much better today? Absolutely not. They used their time to build up lives not tear them down. Gangs tear down lives.

Elders that were part of the civil rights struggle for the betterment of minority, can only shake their hands in shame by the actions of some youths. Not all, some.

Do you know that black people were closer and more supporting of one another before civil rights. It's like getting civil rights was the worst thing to happen to blacks, because the black community started to go downhill soon after. The more rights...the worst it got. Now a black person can go to school anywhere they want to, unlike before it was state laws that prevented blacks any kind of chance at educatio or a job. So what is the excuse now. Fools just don't want to know better. It's easier to ride and throw em up.

More examples why it's a waste:
There is no neighborhood worth dying over. That neighborhood was there before you got there and it will be there 50 years after your dead...so what's the point.
Compton used to be all white, then it became all black, not it's mainly latino, but it's still Compton just different people. Many people will claim Compton, is it worth dying over....NO. Compton could be a retirement resort in 100 years. It all depends on what the city wants to do.

Getting shot in the back and being paralyzed for it, spending the rest of your life in a wheel chair........not worth being in a gang.

Going to prison over gang activity coming out as a felon, forever registering with police stations every time you move, now the man is keeping track on your movements...not worth it.

Difficulty in the job market, sometimes disabling you from obtaing the line of work you really want to do, so now you have to settle for what you can get..........not worth it.

You cannot vote. You have no say so over the laws and regualtions that will regulate YOU........not worth it.

There is no honor in being part of the destruction, misery, ignorance, and antisocial behavior that helps keep black people as second class citizen.

You are still a young woman, but you still have a lot of self awarness to discover. You need to learn your history of why you are here. You need to learn the history of your family to see if you are repeating past mistakes or passing down ignorance to the next generation. You should be thinking of how to bring the next generation up, but most blacks in gangs steadily bring the next generation down.

So really ask yourself. Why am I in this gang? Is this my contribution to the civil rightd cause. Is this the best I can do? Who knows. Maybe it is.

J-DUB
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by J-DUB » September 28th, 2004, 5:16 pm

WHAT U SAYIN SOUNDS GOOD AND ALL, BUT WE JUST 2 DIFFERENT PEOPLE.

BABYBRAZE
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BABYBRAZE » September 28th, 2004, 5:23 pm

lol so basikally its goin in 1 ear out the other?

J-DUB
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by J-DUB » September 28th, 2004, 5:25 pm

BASIKALLY. IM UNDERSTAND WHAT HES SAYIN, BUT IM NOT with IT

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 28th, 2004, 6:19 pm

J-DUB wrote:BASIKALLY. IM UNDERSTAND WHAT HES SAYIN, BUT IM NOT with IT
Of course not. I gave you a crash course in critical thinking. What I just shared with you, some people never learn that within their life time.

I don't expect you to get with it right now. It may take you a couple of years to really comprehend what I wrote. You will look back on this in the future...and say damn..okay, I get it now.

You see J DUB, I can tell by your responses to me that the information you receive is severly limited within your everyday circles. That's what's holding you back. That's what's keeping you from really tapping into your potential as a superstar young lady. That's what I meant by "Birds of a feather stick together." You are as good as the company you keep.

J-DUB
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by J-DUB » September 28th, 2004, 6:23 pm

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT U SAYIN. I JUST DONT FEEL U ON IT. NOW U REALLY STARTIN TO SOUND LIKE A PREACHER.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 28th, 2004, 6:32 pm

J-DUB wrote:WHAT U SAYIN SOUNDS GOOD AND ALL, BUT WE JUST 2 DIFFERENT PEOPLE.
Of course we are two different people, that's the benefit of your correspondance with me. If I were from your circle, I couldn't tell you anything you don't already know. There is no benefit to you in that.

I'm giving you experience from someone that is familar with your world by also is an expert on the other side. I've had a few decades to watch and learn from the countless repeated mistakes of young blacks and latino's in the destructive gang lifestyles. It's a cycle. Your not the first female to go down this road. What your doing is nothing new or original. That's why your outcome is so predictable. Your a walking statistic waiting to fail. It happens everyday.

If you were to die on the streets today. What's the routine. Grieving, dispair, maybe anger, candles, homies showin' love, collection for the family, a gathering of family and friends and.....then here comes another girl ready to hard and want to represent. A predictable cycle.