A question from London to those in the know

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

A question from London to those in the know

Unread post by Noog » April 18th, 2005, 9:58 am

A week or so ago, a young man of 27yrs was deported from Reiker Island, New York City back to Hackney in London. He was born here but moved to New York when he was a kid. In NY, he lived somewhere in the Bronx neighbourhood and linked up with a Blood set there in NY. He was jailed for various things - firearms offences, drug dealing etc. When it was discovered that he was in fact a British NAtional, he was deported. He is now in Hackney and the reason for my question is this - He appeared in our local newspaper wearing his colours, his red stuff. He said that he wanted to be part of the solution, not part of the problem amd that it was a new start - this time he will put his efforts into steering young people from gang life. Now heres my problem...if he had finished with the gang life, why was he wearing his colours? Is he 1) an idiot 2) showing off to impress local and very impressionable young men or 3) is he representing and recruiting in the hope of becomming a big man in these ends?

The last thing we need is a copycat LA thing here cos we got problems enough with our little home grown street crews - we aint got no massive gangs like LA / States, just little crews ranging from a small handfull to a few hundred a time, ususally housing estate based (projects in States).

So, I hope to hear he's not fe true and that hes a pretender, a wanker....am I right or is there something more to this?

Dr Funky
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: A question from London to those in the know

Unread post by Dr Funky » April 18th, 2005, 10:40 am

I'd say it's probably number two. He may possibly want to stop his gang life but he probably subconciously wants to say "Hey look at me and what I did in America! Isn't it wild! Look at me!" Or he may just want to show these kids what it looks like over here to fully convey his message. But I don't know I'm not him.

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » April 18th, 2005, 11:57 am

dunno if its the same man but i remember reading about someone with a similar story late last year. His name was Barrington Foster, who was born in London but spent his early years livin in the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens.

It didnt mention anything about a Blood set and says he remained out of trouble until he moved back to London when he was 18.

Foster 2004 London Newspaper "...when I was 18 graduated with a high school diploma and was working. But I soon got made redundant. I got disheartened and linked with people who I thought were friends but they were far from it....We were going out I was robbing post offices. We were riding with guns and people feared us....' he spent 18yrs inside from 1982.

his final quote was

"If you don't distance yourself from it you will go down or get shot."

As i said, the Blood element was not mentioned in the article i read and unfortunately there werent no pictures. Can you tell me if it is the same man and where you read the article so i can get hold of it.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » April 19th, 2005, 8:42 am

Yeah - The article was in the Hackney Gazette, Thursday 14th April. I dont think its the same guy, the guy in Hackney is only 27. On reflection, I felt some concern for him, 'cos he doesnt know this area and as I understand it, many people in the states dont even realise that we have a black population in the UK, let alone streets which are ruff as any (though less firearms thank the Creator). What I'm saying is that this guy from NYC might be setting himself up for a fall, 'cos another view is that there will be boys in these ends who will enjoy seeing him fall, just because he has said that he was a Blood from America! But, basically, I confess ignorance to where he at, 'n hope he just showing off a bit and hope that someone doesn't do something.

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » April 19th, 2005, 8:45 am

sounds like he Bout to shut your lil nation down

if u see him tell him i said Bs up - O Trey keep it poppin

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » April 19th, 2005, 9:07 am

Purplecityhello (thats a hell of a name man!) - let me know more, break it down for me - u say sounds like he bout to shut down our lil nation, so are you saying that hes representing and recruiting? Sure hes just one man, but if its a viral thing.....and gets a hold, I dont want to see it. I cant see it happening here tho', like I said theres homegrown resistence to things which aint UK or Jamaican round here. But, its also true to say that weve never had a thing going like Bloods, simple as, simple as. Are ya flossin' or serious bout what you say, break it down will u?

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » April 19th, 2005, 10:49 am

Possiblility of Bloods in London? Hmm, i see two sides to this

One thing that could happen is London isnt gonna appreciate the possibilty of a Blood recruting in the capital. People are not gonna take it seriously and if the wrong people do take it seriously that Hackney man could end up dead.

Another theory and im thinking in terms of the PDC (Muslim Boys in South London, recruiting in prisons playing out a romance as Islams, despite their violence) poor yound people who watch the movies (Menace to Society etc) may want to play out this romance. They may wanna be the first Blood set in England, copy the films. And if that ever happened it could mean anything from a rise in gang and gun culture in the capital to even the possibility that American Bloods may follow to London.

I know this sound far fetched but nothing is impossible. If the guy was recruiting or was seen to be recruiting i really cant see any solution other than blood shed.

Off point Just for anyone who dont realise England has a black population (as silly as it may sound) there are more black people in London than in Los Angeles.

Helms
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Helms » April 20th, 2005, 1:07 pm

Hackney is so full of gangs right now, I don't think there's much of a chance of a blood set popping up. My guess is they'd be crushed before they got off the ground.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » April 21st, 2005, 6:25 am

Thats what I think....no matter what happenned State side, here is different and I jus' cant see it one bit. Any colours flown round here and they would be too visible - our homegrown outfits wouldn't tolerate the competition and would enjoy to pop a mythic reputation just because they could. Also, the cops'd be all over 'em like a rash! TOo visible, its not like that over here - gang members dont wear distinguishing colours....Nah, it aint gonna happen

Second thing - a mention of PDC (Poverty Driven Children / Muslim Boys)- now theres a London outfit out fot mischief! Yeah, posing as Islamisists and recruiting by force - no colours and no bling bling either! Dressing down like good muslims, but with a machette under their holy clothes! Robbery for God ha! Thing is, thier being taken seriously and are incorporating little street crews in their area of South London (it aint a Hackney thing). Feds are onto em tho and have locked up plenty so far. Crazy days. But Bloods...I dont think so...unless an American cousin in the know can convince me otherwise. And if I see this lad, Millar Gunz was his name in NYC, I aint gonna say B's up, but whats up.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » April 21st, 2005, 6:26 am

Thats what I think....no matter what happenned State side, here is different and I jus' cant see it one bit. Any colours flown round here and they would be too visible - our homegrown outfits wouldn't tolerate the competition and would enjoy to pop a mythic reputation just because they could. Also, the cops'd be all over 'em like a rash! TOo visible, its not like that over here - gang members dont wear distinguishing colours....Nah, it aint gonna happen

Second thing - a mention of PDC (Poverty Driven Children / Muslim Boys)- now theres a London outfit out fot mischief! Yeah, posing as Islamisists and recruiting by force - no colours and no bling bling either! Dressing down like good muslims, but with a machette under their holy clothes! Robbery for God ha! Thing is, thier being taken seriously and are incorporating little street crews in their area of South London (it aint a Hackney thing). Feds are onto em tho and have locked up plenty so far. Crazy days. But Bloods...I dont think so...unless an American cousin in the know can convince me otherwise. And if I see this lad, Millar Gunz was his name in NYC, I aint gonna say B's up, but whats up.

Return to “Prevention, Intervention, Education and Awareness”