Alcoholism and other addictions

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

Helms
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Alcoholism and other addictions

Unread post by Helms » May 6th, 2005, 8:46 am

Does anyone here struggle with a drinking problem? I've gotten drunk EVERY day for about the last 4 years. I'm not really excessive though. I usually don't touch booze until about 7 or 8 at night, but I still have six to eight drinks a night.

I'm getting better though. I've been doing martial arts for a while now and that's helping. I go at least 3 nights a week and when I do I'm not home until 10:30 so that cuts into my drinking time. I also managed to quit smoking (cigarettes) a few months ago. I still smoke weed but I've cut that down too. I don't smoke during the day anymore at all, and besides, I'm not really worried about that.

Luckily I've managed to avoid trouble with harder drugs. I've watches some lives destroyed on various substances. I've dabbled, but I've seen the effects first hand, and lost people to that shyt.

Anyone else have any problems with substance abuse?

Bo$$
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Re: Alcoholism and other addictions

Unread post by Bo$$ » May 6th, 2005, 9:19 am

Yeah i gotta problem with smoking. Not really with cigs, but mainly hash and weed. For some reason that shit just tries to nail my ass. I always smoke a hash joint when i wake up, so i wake up correct and cheery. Then in the afternoon i smoke cigs and sum white widow grass with my homies, and then to finish it off i smoke a cocktail blunt (cocktail = marihuana + hasheesh).

I guess it aint such a major deal tho, i hardly have to pay cuz i can get it cheap from a homie i know so it aint like i have major money isues.
And i also aint got a drinkin problem or anything to do with coke an speed an all that shit so in my opion im doin aight.

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » May 6th, 2005, 9:26 am

yo.I mean when I begin,whatever ,it may result in excesive kind.Not violent or brutal,but seems like one bad manor stays.So I left the dope/alc scene,and get to know more and more poeple that had big problems with it.
-a thing not to forget: the percentage of alcohol that is writtren on product is the amount in pure ,drinking if emptying
-the first spliff is for free
;a russian professor formulated it;One Johnnyfag -addict in definition for the rest of live.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » May 6th, 2005, 9:45 am

Helms wrote:Does anyone here struggle with a drinking problem? I've gotten drunk EVERY day for about the last 4 years. I'm not really excessive though. I usually don't touch booze until about 7 or 8 at night, but I still have six to eight drinks a night.

Drinking 7-8 drinks per night for that length of time is excessive. You may have built up a tolerance so it doesn't seem as much, but that's alot of alcohol. You should consider getting help from a medical doctor regarding your quiting. Sometimes going cold turkey can cause a seizure in some people. Some people died from their seizures. Withdrawal is nothing to play with.

Here is a little info from an article I read.

Chronic drinkers develop tolerance. They need to drink more alcohol to get the same “buzz” form before. Once the body has become dependent on alcohol and should the person decide to go “cold turkey” there could be serious withdrawal symptoms soon to follow, such as tremors, sweating, weakness, hallucinations, delusions and seizures. If you are experiencing these symptoms you need to seek medical help as soon as possible. Medical intervention can make alcohol withdrawal safer, easier and less miserable.

Long term drinking can cause other physiological problems in the body, such as malnutrition, brain, nerve, liver, stomach and heart damage. Some of these medical problems can become life-long illnesses and cost tons of money to treat.

If there are existing medical problems, they could become worse and assist in furthering body destruction. When a person consumes alcohol , the stomach and intestines rapidly absorbs it. The alcohol then travels through the blood effecting every tissue in the body including the brain.

Psychological effects can include depression, anxiety, hostility and damage relations with friends and family which sometimes lead to domestic violence. Productivity at work declines which could result in being fired, and that’s another issue with devastating ripple effects. If heavy drinking continues, complete loss of control follows, ending in stupor and possibly death.

Some studies show that alcoholism runs in families and that these individuals are six times more likely than nonalcoholic to have blood relatives who are alcohol dependent.

Helms wrote:I'm getting better though.

Which is good.

Here are questions for other people that may feel they may have a "Drinking Problem."

Do you have a problem with alcohol? Answer the questions that follow:

Have you ever thought you should stop drinking?

Are you bothered or annoyed when others criticize your drinking?

Do you ever feel guilty about your drinking?

Do you ever take an early morning drink or “eye opener” to start the day or help with the shakes?

If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you may have a serious problem with alcohol, and you should consider seeking medical treatment and/or support from Alcoholics Anonymous in your area.

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » May 6th, 2005, 11:08 am

Bo$$ wrote:Yeah i gotta problem with smoking. Not really with cigs, but mainly hash and weed. For some reason that shit just tries to nail my ass. I always smoke a hash joint when i wake up, so i wake up correct and cheery. Then in the afternoon i smoke cigs and sum white widow grass with my homies, and then to finish it off i smoke a cocktail blunt (cocktail = marihuana + hasheesh).

I guess it aint such a major deal tho, i hardly have to pay because i can get it cheap from a homie i know so it aint like i have major money isues.
And i also aint got a drinkin problem or anything to do with coke an speed an all that shit so in my opion im doin aight.

your cocktail is called a B.Malej oginirally.
quit that shit.what does it good.from the step you say I am addicted so what(?),it takes long enough again.

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » May 6th, 2005, 11:12 am

Common Sense wrote:
Helms wrote:Does anyone here struggle with a drinking problem? I've gotten drunk EVERY day for about the last 4 years. I'm not really excessive though. I usually don't touch booze until about 7 or 8 at night, but I still have six to eight drinks a night.

Drinking 7-8 drinks per night for that length of time is excessive. You may have built up a tolerance so it doesn't seem as much, but that's alot of alcohol. You should consider getting help from a medical doctor regarding your quiting. Sometimes going cold turkey can cause a seizure in some people. Some people died from their seizures. Withdrawal is nothing to play with.

Here is a little info from an article I read.

Chronic drinkers develop tolerance. They need to drink more alcohol to get the same “buzz” form before. Once the body has become dependent on alcohol and should the person decide to go “cold turkey” there could be serious withdrawal symptoms soon to follow, such as tremors, sweating, weakness, hallucinations, delusions and seizures. If you are experiencing these symptoms you need to seek medical help as soon as possible. Medical intervention can make alcohol withdrawal safer, easier and less miserable.

Long term drinking can cause other physiological problems in the body, such as malnutrition, brain, nerve, liver, stomach and heart damage. Some of these medical problems can become life-long illnesses and cost tons of money to treat.

If there are existing medical problems, they could become worse and assist in furthering body destruction. When a person consumes alcohol , the stomach and intestines rapidly absorbs it. The alcohol then travels through the blood effecting every tissue in the body including the brain.

Psychological effects can include depression, anxiety, hostility and damage relations with friends and family which sometimes lead to domestic violence. Productivity at work declines which could result in being fired, and that’s another issue with devastating ripple effects. If heavy drinking continues, complete loss of control follows, ending in stupor and possibly death.

Some studies show that alcoholism runs in families and that these individuals are six times more likely than nonalcoholic to have blood relatives who are alcohol dependent.

Helms wrote:I'm getting better though.

Which is good.

Here are questions for other people that may feel they may have a "Drinking Problem."

Do you have a problem with alcohol? Answer the questions that follow:

Have you ever thought you should stop drinking?

Are you bothered or annoyed when others criticize your drinking?

Do you ever feel guilty about your drinking?

Do you ever take an early morning drink or “eye opener” to start the day or help with the shakes?

If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you may have a serious problem with alcohol, and you should consider seeking medical treatment and/or support from Alcoholics Anonymous in your area.

I would have a problem with the questioner,though I`m living pretty much abstinent:Or because it is so.lol

WhiteBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WhiteBoy » May 6th, 2005, 3:54 pm

i smoke, i drink, i'm suppose to stop but i can't.
quitting weed for me has been soo hard and i havn't really accomplished that and ive been smoking since i was like 13.
but now that im 21 i can get liquor easier than the buds, so that creates its own little unique problems.

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » May 9th, 2005, 12:53 pm

This news article today, shows just how much the police care about our drug users. Police in this area always warn about contaminated heroin but much to my amazement they never get it off the street lol

Warning over contaminated heroin
Heroin users in Middlesbrough are being warned by police about a contaminated batch of heroin.
Cleveland Police say the drug, which has been found around the county, has led to a number of overdoses.

Officers say the heroin, which is a very dark brown colour, has been cut with lithium and ketamine.

The ketamine impairs the effects of a drug used to treat heroin overdoses, leading to the risk of brain damage and even death.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » May 9th, 2005, 1:07 pm

Common Sense wrote:

Sometimes going cold turkey can cause a seizure in some people. Some people died from their seizures. Withdrawal is nothing to play with.

Chronic drinkers develop tolerance. They need to drink more alcohol to get the same “buzz” form before. Once the body has become dependent on alcohol and should the person decide to go “cold turkey” there could be serious withdrawal symptoms soon to follow, such as tremors, sweating, weakness, hallucinations, delusions and seizures.

All true shit. My pops is a bad alkie this fool had to quit because he fell down the stairs drunk and got put on painkillers. You can't drink with painkillers so he had to quit drinking for a few days, and because of that my pops went crazy with hallucinations and intense paranoia and had to be checked into a psych ward or whatever for observation. They call it DT's or Delirium Tremens and that shit is no joke. Scary shit for you or your loved ones to go through. But like always, an alkie will remain like that until they hit bottom and have no choice but to pull themselves up on their own.

Just to be real Helms you're drinking too much and you should seek some kind of intervention.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » May 9th, 2005, 1:31 pm

NW10 wrote:The ketamine impairs the effects of a drug used to treat heroin overdoses, leading to the risk of brain damage and even death.

What Is Ketamine?

Ketamine, or ketamine hydrochloride, is a non-barbiturate, rapid-acting disassociative anesthetic used on both animals and humans (mainly animals); it also has been used in human medicine for pediatric burn cases and dentistry, and in experimental psychotherapy. It is being abused by an increasing number of young people as a "club drug," and is often distributed at "raves" and parties. Which is extremely retarded!

What Are Some of Its Street Names?

Some street names for ketamine are: K, Ket, Special K, Vitamin K, Vit K, Kit Kat, Keller, Kelly's day, Green, Blind squid, Cat valium, Purple, Special la coke, Super acid, and Super C. Slang for experiences related to ketamine or effects of ketamine include, "k-hole," "K-land," "baby food," and "God."

How Is It Being Abused?

Ketamine is a liquid and the most potent ways of using it are by injecting it intramuscularly or intravenously. There is the risk of losing motor control before injection is completed, basically turninginto jello. Ketamine also can be made into a tablet, or a powder by evaporating the liquid and reducing it to a fine white powder that can be smoked or snorted. Because of its appearance, Ketamine is often mistaken for cocaine or crystal methamphetamine. Some reports indicate it is sometimes sold as MDMA (Ecstasy) and mixed with other drugs such as ephedrine and caffeine. "Cafeteria use" -- the use of a number of hallucinogenic and sedative/hypnotic club drugs such as MDMA, GHB, LSD, and illegally used prescription drugs .

What Are Ketamine's Effects?

Ketamine produces a detached state in a user. Effects can range from rapture to paranoia to boredom. The user feels its hallucinogenic effects and experiences impaired perception. Ketamine commonly elicits an out-of-body or near-death experience; it can render the user comatose.

Ketamine is similar molecularly to phencyclidine (PCP--or "Angel Dust") and thus creates similar effects including numbness, loss of coordination, sense of invulnerability, muscle rigidity, aggressive/violent behavior, slurred or blocked speech, exaggerated sense of strength, and a blank stare. There is depression of respiratory function but not of the central nervous system, and cardiovascular function is maintained. Since ketamine is an anesthetic, it stops the user from feeling pain, which could lead the user to inadvertantly cause injury to himself/herself. Ketamine may relieve tension and anxiety, is purported to be a sexual stimulant, and intensifies colors and sounds.

The effects of a ketamine 'high' usually last an hour but they can last for 4-6 hours, and 24-48 hours are generally required before the user will feel completely "normal" again. Effects of chronic use of ketamine may take from several months to two years to wear off completely. Low doses (25-100mg) produce psychedelic effects quickly. Large doses can produce vomiting and convulsions and may lead to oxygen starvation to the brain and muscles; one gram can cause death. Flashbacks may even occur one year after use. Long-term effects include tolerance and possible physical and/or psychological dependence.

Is Ketamine Legal?

Yes, but only for medical uses. It is marketed as Ketalar, or Ketaset, to veterinarians and medical personnel and considered a controlled substance only in California, Connecticut, New Mexico, and Oklahoma. A bill was introduced in Congress in the spring of 1997 to schedule ketamine as a Schedule II drug, having a high abuse potential with severe psychic or physical dependence liability. Cocaine and methamphetamine are other examples of Schedule II drugs.

Is Ketamine Use Spreading?

According to the Drug Enforcement Administration, ketamine is an emerging drug in San Diego, New York, Miami, Newark (DE). Its use is also being reported in New Jersey, D.C., Florida, and Georgia.

This drug will mess you up in the long run.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » May 9th, 2005, 1:38 pm

Supposedly the k-hole is a horrible feeling and I heard some people are changed from it for a long time.

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » May 9th, 2005, 1:41 pm

a friend was put on a therapy with lithium.it is hard drug,taken for normal life in psycholical case.(normalizing tension?)

londonpride
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by londonpride » May 9th, 2005, 3:44 pm

I feel i have a problem with drinking.Unlike helms i dont drink every day but i drink myself stupid at least twice a week.Once i get a taste i cant seem stop till im very drunk.Usually i start with six pints of beer,followed by a dozen bourbens and cokes.Worst thing i get now is the blackouts where i dont remember how i got home or what i did.Fock this thread is turning into a AA meeting.Hi my names......

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » May 9th, 2005, 3:47 pm

londonpride wrote:Fock this thread is turning into a AA meeting.Hi my names......

LOL....Everybody meet London Pride. Welcome to the group.

WhiteBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WhiteBoy » May 9th, 2005, 9:45 pm

londonpride wrote: but i drink myself stupid at least twice a week.Once i get a taste i cant seem stop till im very drunk.Worst thing i get now is the blackouts where i dont remember how i got home or what i did.Fock this thread is turning into a AA meeting.Hi my names......

hi my name is.... yeah i do this too... when ever i drink i basically can't stop til i can't, cause my stomach is too full or i pass out in some bushes...... i hate waking up like "duuuuurrrrr what did i do last night?" but once i realize that im alive it is usually followed by a huge sigh of relief not to be in jail is always a plus.

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » May 10th, 2005, 11:10 am

londonpride wrote:i get now is the blackouts where i dont remember how i got home or what i did.

Dont worry this happens to me often. I often sleep walk aswell when im pissed. I was goin out with this girl and we went out drinking i dont remember anythin but during the night i slept walked in front of her mom and dad and pissed in there shoes (while asleep) lmao. We all look back and laugh now but none of them were impressed at the time.

I hate blackouts. Happens to me too often, its embarrassing too next day when everyone tells you what you did.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » May 10th, 2005, 12:19 pm

Blacking Out vs. Passing Out
(from the experts)

Blacking out is commonly confused with passing out . It cannot be overemphasized that these two conditions are mutually exclusive. That is, by definition, at any given time, you cannot have one if you have the other. A blackout is a period of amnesia during which the person is actively engaged in behaviors (e.g., walking, talking) but the brain is unable to form new memories for the events, leaving the person unable to recall the events once they are no longer intoxicated. Consistent with the definitions used by other researchers, Goodwin defined a blackout as "amnesia for the events of any part of a drinking episode, without loss of consciousness". Indeed, far from losing consciousness, the literature suggests that it is possible for individuals to experience blackouts while appearing only moderately intoxicated to the outside world. Jennison and Johnson (1994) state, "Blackouts usually happen in a drinking setting during which the person may or may not appear to be intoxicated". Further, Sweeney (1989) indicates that "...a person may drive a car and carry on a conversation in a nearly 'normal' fashion".

The term passing out is less clearly defined, but is invariably used to mean either falling asleep from excessive drinking or literally drinking oneself unconscious. Even in its most general, colloquial usage, passing out indicates the occurrence of a state that is incompatible with active behavior. Given that blackouts tend to occur at relatively high BAC levels, particularly after rapid consumption of alcohol, it is certainly possible that an individual could experience a blackout prior to passing out. However, the two states cannot occur simultaneously, as a person cannot be both conscious and unconscious at the same time.

GottaLoveLA
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GottaLoveLA » May 24th, 2005, 8:02 am

NW10 wrote:
londonpride wrote:i get now is the blackouts where i dont remember how i got home or what i did.

Dont worry this happens to me often. I often sleep walk aswell when im pissed. I was goin out with this girl and we went out drinking i dont remember anythin but during the night i slept walked in front of her mom and dad and pissed in there shoes (while asleep) lmao. We all look back and laugh now but none of them were impressed at the time.

I hate blackouts. Happens to me too often, its embarrassing too next day when everyone tells you what you did.

lol

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » May 24th, 2005, 9:48 am

Though this thread has been rolled out on alcohol, a number of posters have talked about their inability to just walk away from the herbs. Back in the day, myself and my associates were of the view that ganja was for the Healing of the Nations, you know, grown in King Solomans garden type thing! That ganja brought wisdom and spirituality blah blah blah. I was fully influenced by the Rasta vibe and was of the view that ganga was for freedom and liberation blah. But now, years later and still smokin' every day, I see things differently. I see more people getting mental health problems from paranoia to depression and anxiety to full blown symptoms of psychotic illnes, hearing voices or sounds and the like. I see more people affected by 'amotivational syndrome' doing f-all with their lives, I see older people with chronic chest problems and having heat attacks early and so on. I now call myself 'dependant', 'cos I'm never without herbs, even for an evening! I've called it my culture for years and now its my dependancy. I dont suffer any mental health problems, though I tend to being moody. I've worked since late teens and never been in debt, so Ive used my capacity to stay cool and function as a smokescreen to my problem. But I cant just stop - I get sooo anxious, irritable, aggressive, angry even, have insomnia, no appetite, night sweats at first and so on. Last time I quit for a month, I felt rotten for two weeks before feeling good again. Then, after being 'resolved' inside myself about moving on, I just picked up a spliff one night and been there since! Thsi summer, I'm off for two weeks to Portugal to chill and I'm using the time as a lil' personal rehab! Hot sun, beautiful babes and the sea helps like nothing else! Peace

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » May 25th, 2005, 4:37 am

I quit herb for nearly 8 years.
It is still there,and you should stay away at least 3 years for itself ,untill your mind comes back and you get more and more reason why not.
It seems not necessairy to push and to pull it away with strentgh,and full minded.It means not to fight it ,but to just let it fade out.
For me ,it was hard to lose contact,but since I tuned down effords to stay in touch with poeple,situation becomes more realistic.

SeriaKilla
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by SeriaKilla » June 2nd, 2005, 5:58 pm

I've gone through phases in my life where heavy consumption of one thing or another has been a dominant figure. When I was younger it was booze, I went a couple of years where I was swilling a bottle a day or hitting up bars and not remembering how I got home. Then it was drugs in copious amounts. Fist fulls of pills, piles of nose candy.

I learned to respect altered states and still do things, but in moderation and on very rare occasions.

Once you conclude you have a problem, it's just taking steps from there to rectify it. Breaking old habits can be the hardest thing.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » June 2nd, 2005, 7:55 pm

SeriaKilla wrote:Breaking old habits can be the hardest thing.

You've said it right there SK.

Return to “Prevention, Intervention, Education and Awareness”