The Youth is Outta Control: but I ask you who's failing who?

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

The Youth is Outta Control: but I ask you who's failing who?

Unread post by 'X' » October 20th, 2005, 5:35 pm

The Youth is Outta Control: but I ask you who's failing who???
by AJ Woodson

There was no respect for youth when
I was young, and now that I am old,
there is no respect for my age
I missed it coming and going.
- J.B. Priestly

I came across this quote recently and it got me thinking. I always here adults talk about how the youth is outta control. How hip hop and video games are destroying the minds of our youth and if they are our future where will we be, etc etc etc... No need for me to recapped them all I'm sure you heard or have even spit out a few of these yourself recently.

When I was growing up, and got to that rebellious age, hanging in the park drinking a forty (Im dating myself cause we had quarts then fortys came a little later) getting high, getting girls, and hip hop was all I cared about. Actually spitting rhymes I actually cared about more cause I just wanted to be cool and be the dopest emcee I could. It was proven time after time outside being the star quarterback or having a wicked jump shot the emcees got all the girls. So I knew if my rhymes were tight, I could take out the any emcee I came accross in battles and rock the crowd, the females would come to me.

It was the older cats on the block who used to holla at me, about staying in school when it began to bore me and I traded Biology and Science for getting my rhymes tight and listening and studying Cold Crush Brothers tapes. Sure my dad was around, when my parents broke up I actually went to live with my dad during high school, cause mom didnt know what else to do with me. She thought what we was doin wasn't music just a lot of noise, and a college degree was the only thing that would keep me Paid In Full.

Sure my parents instilled all the right stuff in me in my early days but they broke up when I was 13, I was still running wild, and became a rebel without a cause. It was the older cats who got at me. I mean like all the other teens out there I wasn't tryna hear it. I told these old cats that were droppin knowledge on me from their experiences leave us alone and let us be old man. But you know what, even though I wasnt tryna here it, and we made fun of these cats when they left and went on to light up the next joint I did here everything that had to say. It was just pushed to the back to retrieve like an old document on your PC once the right buttons were pushed.

So if its true that the youth is outta control right now, if its true they seem like they dont know right from wrong and can't tell what rappers who live at their gangsta fantasy from whats real. It's not necessarily the youth who are failing us, it is us who are failing the youth. You always hear about the old days when you stepped outta line, the older neighbors would straighten you out, tell you parents who would then in turn thank them and straighten you out again. Well how did we get to a point where the older generation is scared of the youth. When we start saying that kid down the block isnt my problem, Im raising my kids. Well if that kid who isnt your problem spends more time with your kid then you do, how isnt he or she your problem :shock: .

We have turned our back to them and leave them tryna figure things out on their own. The reason I personally am not dead or in jail today was because of these older cats we laughed at, that got at me outside of my dad and uncles. Like a few of my teachers, these older cats saw something in me and instead of turning their back they spent time talking to me. Tryna school me, telling me the harsh realities of the streets we found so attractive at the time. The problem was it was hard to hear what they had to say after the majority of the adults looked down on us, wrote us off as hopeless and basically consistantly complained about what we loved the most, hip hop the one thing that helped us get through the tough times and spoke directly to us and for us for that matter.

Now that we are the older cats, I ask you who is failing who? Kevin Powell recently wrote a book titled Who's Gonna Take The Weight dealing with just that. What's the deal, do we expect the youth to learn right from wrong and teach themselves. To learn what happens when they take certain causes of action. The problem is most do finally figure it out. They usually do figure it out on their own, but it usually while sitting in a cell, with years to think about their youthful indescretions. Or on in a hospital bed being told they may never walk again from a stray bullet to their spine meant for someone else. And unfortunately the cemetary is filled with too many others that didnt figure it out in time or at all.

We the older cats complain about the current lyrics in hip hop when that was what we used to scream to the world what we wanted them to know about us. We screamed @#%$ The Police and Fight The Power in Virginia Beach when the cops decided they didnt want us in their town. The lyrics of that Kool G Rap, Rakim, KRS One, Public Enemy, NWA and many others spoke to us and for us. Painted pictures of the conditions in our cities that were usually just brushed under the carpet, from those outside our community that couldnt be bothered. Not to mention from those in our community that forgot where they came from and turn their back on us, that was much worst, cause they made it, looked like us and we looked up to them, but felt they were better than us. The music has always been rebellious where we said if you solve the problems that are the causes of these attitudes we felt and developed instead on putting us down, things would be much better. We were screaming for help from our elders. The lyrics predicted the future situations that would erupt if we werent taken serious like the riots in LA. Something had to give, and we were screaming for help.

Its the same today, if we pay more attention to the lyrics of the TI's and Young Jeezy's of today we may be able to prevent similar situations from going down in the future. Pay more attention and you may be able to figure out what is in their head. Maybe even replace the hopelessness they are feeling with some hope.

I will say this though, there are too many that don't live it and spit it only cause some A&R working for a major label owned by a major corporation sold them dreams of getting paid if you spit it like 50 Cent or whoever is the hardest chart topping/ multi-platinum artist making the most noise that year.

For you adults who are displeased with the lyrics being played on the radio and shown all day on the popular national video shows whose play list come from your kids voting for them online and over the phone. Call these stations music and program directors and if they dont listen to what you have to say, you listen to the station all day write down they names of all their advertizers. Call teh advertizers and tell them you will not buy their products if they continue to support these stations and that promote these kind of lyrics and images to our youth. Or look at what has worked, get a copy of the shareholders of these corporations who own these major labels and radio stations and send them printed out copies of the lyrics to these songs, (which you can find online by doin a google.com search). Threaten these corporation who make they living off our communities and who care more about the bottomline then what these songs and images are doin to our kids when they are forcefed this all day everyday.

This worked years ago when lyrics were sent to shareholders of Warner Brothers of Ice T's rock group's song Cop Killer. This cause many artists to be dropped from all of the corporation's record companies like Tommy Boy and every other label in the Warner family. It even spilled out to some of the other lablels as well.

Not saying you have to do these things but use this as a template to come up with your own ideas and plans of action. but the thing is do something or stop complaining. There is a saying if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem. Sitting on the sideline and complaining won't solve the problem. But don't stop there, it is equally important that if you tell the kids to just SAY NO to these lyrics they need to know what to say yes too. If you only punish a kid for everything he does wrong and never reward them for what they do right, you will never get anywhere. Think about when you were a teen. Also get involved and help the associations that are actually doing good things in your community and if none of them exist in your community in your area, start your own. Find out what's working in other areas and implement it in yours. The cutting of the arts programs like music and art classes in school and the lack of positive activies for the youth to get involved in, not to mantion the cutting of scholastic budgets nationwide (even more so in the schools in our communities) leaves them just these records and movies they that feel speak to them. They feel it cause they can relate to it.

This is very important we need to speak to the youth and not down to them.

I can go on for ever, but I will end it here for now.
The older generation (the older cats we become) we need to ask ourselves: Who is really failing who? Are you part of the problem or the solution?

qbone
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by qbone » October 20th, 2005, 11:04 pm

thats deep and real talk.lesson learn.i mean i be on the road and i am in the presense of those youngsters who's looking for that example.i could never clown those youngster about the lifestyle r gangster image they portray.
like you say if you aint got the solution u mite as well not complain.
i am on the front line with that solution. i live by example and i express that to the older generation cause they look up to us and what we created. so i feel its my duty to go back and save what we started and now going up that road that we know aint getting us no where. some i find r scared straight when you say lets go back in the hood and change that direction of our lil homies. fear is the intimindation. but we was not fearful when we did it .who u think got them flagging and blue ragging but do not know that they banging over nothing thats going to get them into the rightous place in heaven r society like u say but prison. and the grave. i will let them know you learn your lesson you will get your blessing. its takes a teacher of example to deliver that cause then he r she can follow the lead of a good leader.
so all what was stated in that spread by you is real talk along with alot of other expression on this site its informative and a blessing to be able to speak on it peace to all and much respect to brother woodson keep those post coming x and so will i.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » October 27th, 2005, 1:00 pm

Words of truth and wisdom, appreciated. I grew up with the words of all those you mentioned, KRS One, Public Enemy etc - they inspired me as a little youth. I also listened to a UK/Jamiacan Dub poet called Linton Kwesi Johnson (First album called 'Dread, Beat and Blood', then 'Bass Culture') more so than US stuff cos I'm Brit and all of Marleys sweetness too. I even listened to some punk, like the Clash, all good. It inspired me, put a voice to my frustration, rage and rebellion. And i understand the thread 100%, it is the older mans who need to inspire the young ones - I dont put all the blame on the youth because they have inherited a situation which those tunes raged about in trying to let the world know about the suffering and frustration of being forgotten and thrown in the gutter. Of course tunes still rage, but most are bout other stuff these days (apart from a few noble exceptions ie Dead Prez). Those early tunes politisised me, made me want to be a part of the solution not part of the problem, I am grateful. I believe that the adult world is letting the younger world down at every step these days and what we got world over is the result.

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by 'X' » December 6th, 2005, 11:25 pm

qbone wrote:thats deep and real talk.lesson learn.i mean i be on the road and i am in the presense of those youngsters who's looking for that example.i could never clown those youngster about the lifestyle r gangster image they portray.
like you say if you aint got the solution u mite as well not complain.
i am on the front line with that solution. i live by example and i express that to the older generation cause they look up to us and what we created. so i feel its my duty to go back and save what we started and now going up that road that we know aint getting us no where. some i find r scared straight when you say lets go back in the hood and change that direction of our lil homies. fear is the intimindation. but we was not fearful when we did it .who u think got them flagging and blue ragging but do not know that they banging over nothing thats going to get them into the rightous place in heaven r society like u say but prison. and the grave. i will let them know you learn your lesson you will get your blessing. its takes a teacher of example to deliver that cause then he r she can follow the lead of a good leader.
so all what was stated in that spread by you is real talk along with alot of other expression on this site its informative and a blessing to be able to speak on it peace to all and much respect to brother woodson keep those post coming x and so will i.

Very well said brutha...

kingterp
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by kingterp » December 7th, 2005, 11:17 pm

I blame the O.G.'s

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Re: The Youth is Outta Control: but I ask you who's failing

Unread post by 'X' » September 15th, 2006, 5:26 pm

'X' wrote:The Youth is Outta Control: but I ask you who's failing who???
by AJ Woodson

There was no respect for youth when
I was young, and now that I am old,
there is no respect for my age
I missed it coming and going.
- J.B. Priestly

I came across this quote recently and it got me thinking. I always here adults talk about how the youth is outta control. How hip hop and video games are destroying the minds of our youth and if they are our future where will we be, etc etc etc... No need for me to recapped them all I'm sure you heard or have even spit out a few of these yourself recently.

When I was growing up, and got to that rebellious age, hanging in the park drinking a forty (Im dating myself cause we had quarts then fortys came a little later) getting high, getting girls, and hip hop was all I cared about. Actually spitting rhymes I actually cared about more cause I just wanted to be cool and be the dopest emcee I could. It was proven time after time outside being the star quarterback or having a wicked jump shot the emcees got all the girls. So I knew if my rhymes were tight, I could take out the any emcee I came accross in battles and rock the crowd, the females would come to me.

It was the older cats on the block who used to holla at me, about staying in school when it began to bore me and I traded Biology and Science for getting my rhymes tight and listening and studying Cold Crush Brothers tapes. Sure my dad was around, when my parents broke up I actually went to live with my dad during high school, cause mom didnt know what else to do with me. She thought what we was doin wasn't music just a lot of noise, and a college degree was the only thing that would keep me Paid In Full.

Sure my parents instilled all the right stuff in me in my early days but they broke up when I was 13, I was still running wild, and became a rebel without a cause. It was the older cats who got at me. I mean like all the other teens out there I wasn't tryna hear it. I told these old cats that were droppin knowledge on me from their experiences leave us alone and let us be old man. But you know what, even though I wasnt tryna here it, and we made fun of these cats when they left and went on to light up the next joint I did here everything that had to say. It was just pushed to the back to retrieve like an old document on your PC once the right buttons were pushed.

So if its true that the youth is outta control right now, if its true they seem like they dont know right from wrong and can't tell what rappers who live at their gangsta fantasy from whats real. It's not necessarily the youth who are failing us, it is us who are failing the youth. You always hear about the old days when you stepped outta line, the older neighbors would straighten you out, tell you parents who would then in turn thank them and straighten you out again. Well how did we get to a point where the older generation is scared of the youth. When we start saying that kid down the block isnt my problem, Im raising my kids. Well if that kid who isnt your problem spends more time with your kid then you do, how isnt he or she your problem :shock: .

We have turned our back to them and leave them tryna figure things out on their own. The reason I personally am not dead or in jail today was because of these older cats we laughed at, that got at me outside of my dad and uncles. Like a few of my teachers, these older cats saw something in me and instead of turning their back they spent time talking to me. Tryna school me, telling me the harsh realities of the streets we found so attractive at the time. The problem was it was hard to hear what they had to say after the majority of the adults looked down on us, wrote us off as hopeless and basically consistantly complained about what we loved the most, hip hop the one thing that helped us get through the tough times and spoke directly to us and for us for that matter.

Now that we are the older cats, I ask you who is failing who? Kevin Powell recently wrote a book titled Who's Gonna Take The Weight dealing with just that. What's the deal, do we expect the youth to learn right from wrong and teach themselves. To learn what happens when they take certain causes of action. The problem is most do finally figure it out. They usually do figure it out on their own, but it usually while sitting in a cell, with years to think about their youthful indescretions. Or on in a hospital bed being told they may never walk again from a stray bullet to their spine meant for someone else. And unfortunately the cemetary is filled with too many others that didnt figure it out in time or at all.

We the older cats complain about the current lyrics in hip hop when that was what we used to scream to the world what we wanted them to know about us. We screamed @#%$ The Police and Fight The Power in Virginia Beach when the cops decided they didnt want us in their town. The lyrics of that Kool G Rap, Rakim, KRS One, Public Enemy, NWA and many others spoke to us and for us. Painted pictures of the conditions in our cities that were usually just brushed under the carpet, from those outside our community that couldnt be bothered. Not to mention from those in our community that forgot where they came from and turn their back on us, that was much worst, cause they made it, looked like us and we looked up to them, but felt they were better than us. The music has always been rebellious where we said if you solve the problems that are the causes of these attitudes we felt and developed instead on putting us down, things would be much better. We were screaming for help from our elders. The lyrics predicted the future situations that would erupt if we werent taken serious like the riots in LA. Something had to give, and we were screaming for help.

Its the same today, if we pay more attention to the lyrics of the TI's and Young Jeezy's of today we may be able to prevent similar situations from going down in the future. Pay more attention and you may be able to figure out what is in their head. Maybe even replace the hopelessness they are feeling with some hope.

I will say this though, there are too many that don't live it and spit it only cause some A&R working for a major label owned by a major corporation sold them dreams of getting paid if you spit it like 50 Cent or whoever is the hardest chart topping/ multi-platinum artist making the most noise that year.

For you adults who are displeased with the lyrics being played on the radio and shown all day on the popular national video shows whose play list come from your kids voting for them online and over the phone. Call these stations music and program directors and if they dont listen to what you have to say, you listen to the station all day write down they names of all their advertizers. Call teh advertizers and tell them you will not buy their products if they continue to support these stations and that promote these kind of lyrics and images to our youth. Or look at what has worked, get a copy of the shareholders of these corporations who own these major labels and radio stations and send them printed out copies of the lyrics to these songs, (which you can find online by doin a google.com search). Threaten these corporation who make they living off our communities and who care more about the bottomline then what these songs and images are doin to our kids when they are forcefed this all day everyday.

This worked years ago when lyrics were sent to shareholders of Warner Brothers of Ice T's rock group's song Cop Killer. This cause many artists to be dropped from all of the corporation's record companies like Tommy Boy and every other label in the Warner family. It even spilled out to some of the other lablels as well.

Not saying you have to do these things but use this as a template to come up with your own ideas and plans of action. but the thing is do something or stop complaining. There is a saying if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem. Sitting on the sideline and complaining won't solve the problem. But don't stop there, it is equally important that if you tell the kids to just SAY NO to these lyrics they need to know what to say yes too. If you only punish a kid for everything he does wrong and never reward them for what they do right, you will never get anywhere. Think about when you were a teen. Also get involved and help the associations that are actually doing good things in your community and if none of them exist in your community in your area, start your own. Find out what's working in other areas and implement it in yours. The cutting of the arts programs like music and art classes in school and the lack of positive activies for the youth to get involved in, not to mantion the cutting of scholastic budgets nationwide (even more so in the schools in our communities) leaves them just these records and movies they that feel speak to them. They feel it cause they can relate to it.

This is very important we need to speak to the youth and not down to them.

I can go on for ever, but I will end it here for now.
The older generation (the older cats we become) we need to ask ourselves: Who is really failing who? Are you part of the problem or the solution?

shaun_zach
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by shaun_zach » October 23rd, 2006, 10:52 am

I feel where you r commin from. I grew up in a time where you got yo ass beat. Children did not participate in grown folks business, parents didn't party with their kids. Now these kids are growing up faster than ever, with the ever growing drug life and the many addicts that are being produced these kids are basiclly raisin themselves because their parents are strung out on drugs. Also society has labeled whipping your child as abuse. You are not allowed to discipline your child because they can call the cops on you and then u go to jail for child abuse. The schools are no longer allowed to discipline the children. So I agree, we as society are failing these at risk youth. Their only face to face role models are gangstas, thugs, pimps and drug dealers. The real OGs are long ago dead. I was also schooled by some ole school cats who wanted to see me be better than what they were, not hangin on the streets but gettin an education. We seem to have lost sight of the old negro proverb "It takes a whole village to raise a child" Today there's the village but it run down, but there are no chiefs, warriors and matriachs around to raise the children. We have allowed ourselves to be sucked into another form of genocide by destroying our families with drugs, false gratification in the bling and the fantasy that some music and videos depict. Right now there are more people a part of the problem because they don't see that there is a problem. There never is until this type of stuff makes it way into middle class ameircan homes and society. Like I said if we don't care about our neighborhood and kids then why should anyone else.

Ichilltown

Unread post by Ichilltown » November 1st, 2006, 1:46 pm

It all starts at home. It may take a village to raise a child but now a days parents dont want you to say anything to their children.I know a lot of us are or were raised by grand parents , uncles, aunts siblings but thats why family is supposed to be there. discipline has bee taken out of the homes. discipline is not abuse. we have allowed our children to stray and in doing so we have failed them. It is up to us and that village mentality to save them. This stuff has already mades it way to middle class homes. it has crossed all socio economic lines on the east coast. Now that it is no longer JUST US, this socalled phenomenon is getting some attention

dochesangel

Making a difference

Unread post by dochesangel » November 1st, 2006, 3:20 pm

It does start at home, but I don't think it's so much that parents don't want others dealing with their kids as it is that they don't want others telling them what's wrong with their kid or that it's all their fault that their kid is having problems. I think most parents welcome help if they believe it is genuine and if helping isn't about "whose fault is this" but rather what do we do to make it better.

For the past eight years my mission in life has been to create programs that truly strive to make a difference. These programs offer encouragement, knowledge, skills training, and most importantly HOPE. The programs are called Life Lessons. All programs offer a GED/HSED component, but aside from that the kids who attend determine their own participation in classes that range from free counseling, parenting, life skills, employment skills, art, music, computer skills etc. One of the most important things we do is LISTEN. The kids get to tell us what they want or what they need and then we design a plan to address those needs.

So I do agree that "it starts at home," but sometimes the parents are overwelmed and don't even know where to begin so if there is anyone out there who would like more information about Life Lessons or would like to start a program in their community please feel free to email me at dochesangel1209@yahoo.com or IM me. I'd also like to hear from all the kids out there. Tell me what would make a difference in your life.

shaun_zach
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by shaun_zach » November 8th, 2006, 12:30 pm

Ichilltown wrote:It all starts at home. It may take a village to raise a child but now a days parents dont want you to say anything to their children.I know a lot of us are or were raised by grand parents , uncles, aunts siblings but thats why family is supposed to be there. discipline has bee taken out of the homes. discipline is not abuse. we have allowed our children to stray and in doing so we have failed them. It is up to us and that village mentality to save them. This stuff has already mades it way to middle class homes. it has crossed all socio economic lines on the east coast. Now that it is no longer JUST US, this socalled phenomenon is getting some attention
That's really fucced up that it has to hit middle class suburbia before it is recogonized as a problem. What does that tell you about society, in their eyes we will alwys be second class and less than. So the things that have been going on for years in the urban culture, drugs , violence in schools and neighborhoods, teem pregnancy, gangs and drops outs didn't matter because it was modern day genocide. They want us to destroy ourselves and we are fallin into the the trap that society has set. It's the crab in the barrel affect.