MORE BLACKS SHOULD GET INTO MIXED MARTIAL ARTS - UFC

Baseball, Basketball, Boxing, Football, Golf, Rugby, Wrestling and any other sport.
NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2107
Joined: July 15th, 2006, 2:32 am
Location: LAND SEA AIR

MORE BLACKS SHOULD GET INTO MIXED MARTIAL ARTS - UFC

Unread post by NICKELS » July 8th, 2007, 10:42 pm

THEY SHOULD OPEN UP ( M.M.A ) SCHOOLS IN THE HOOD AND BLACK COMMUNITIES - IN THE SAME BOXING GYMS ....SO WE CAN GET INTO THAT SPORT HEAVY TOO

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2107
Joined: July 15th, 2006, 2:32 am
Location: LAND SEA AIR

Unread post by NICKELS » July 8th, 2007, 10:44 pm

IN THE HOOD , WE ALREADY FIGHT STANDING AND IT ALWAYS GO TO THE GROUND .......SO ITS RIGHT UP OUR ALLEY ,

User avatar
oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 605
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 4:27 pm
Location: POMONA, CA.

Unread post by oso1 » July 9th, 2007, 4:17 am

In the future there will be more Blacks as well as Latinos in MMA, its still a growing sport.

but honestly you go to these MMA gyms and they charge like a $100 a month. compared to a boxing club that charges $5 a month for minors and maybe $25 for adults.

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2107
Joined: July 15th, 2006, 2:32 am
Location: LAND SEA AIR

Unread post by NICKELS » July 9th, 2007, 9:33 am

BLACKS WANT THAT MONEY BOXING OFFERS , I DONT THINK MMA , HAS A BIG PAYDAY............

User avatar
oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 605
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 4:27 pm
Location: POMONA, CA.

Unread post by oso1 » July 9th, 2007, 11:39 am

NICKELS wrote:BLACKS WANT THAT MONEY BOXING OFFERS , I DONT THINK MMA , HAS A BIG PAYDAY............
Excactly and if the MMA were to pay what the top boxers are paid youd see more Latino and Blacks in MMA right now.

In Time.

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2107
Joined: July 15th, 2006, 2:32 am
Location: LAND SEA AIR

Unread post by NICKELS » July 9th, 2007, 4:55 pm

YEAH YOU GET HURT WORST FOR LESS MONEY.....LOL , THE MONEY WOULD GET THE BROTHERS INTO THAT MMA SHYT QUICK FAST ......LIKE HOMEBOY " CRAZY HORSE , HOOD NIGGA

User avatar
oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 605
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 4:27 pm
Location: POMONA, CA.

Unread post by oso1 » July 9th, 2007, 6:55 pm

NICKELS wrote:YEAH YOU GET HURT WORST FOR LESS MONEY.....LOL , THE MONEY WOULD GET THE BROTHERS INTO THAT MMA SHYT QUICK FAST ......LIKE HOMEBOY " CRAZY HORSE , HOOD NIGGA
Crazy Horse is BAD ! I seen him at The King of the Cage Event once. he wasnt fighting that night, he was just mingling with the ring card girls.

jboogie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 75
Joined: March 1st, 2004, 4:18 pm
Location: S.D., CA

Unread post by jboogie » July 9th, 2007, 9:01 pm

Yeah I think the payday in MMA has a lot to do with it. Even boxing isn't offering the amount of money that the NBA and the NFL does, I remember readeing a whole mess of articles on ESPN and Yahoo saying how boxings pay is way less than the NBA and NFL. Alot of boxing experts say thats why the heavyweight division in boxing is now dominated by foreign fighters, because the bigger black athletes in The U.S. are turning to Basketball and Football because it pays more and is "less dangerous"

User avatar
creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 639
Joined: April 26th, 2006, 8:54 pm
Location: Culver City
Contact:

Unread post by creativemind » July 10th, 2007, 12:27 am

That's a damn good idea in theory, Nickels. But I think the main reason it'll be hard for Blacks is because the main thing in MMA is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ). And to train at any legit school cost a grip. I know where I train is $130 a month. Most boxing gyms only cost $20-25 a month dues. So BJJ is hard to afford.

But you're right, if more brothers got into it, we would be unstoppable. I'm telling you, just LEARNING to fight, combined with the natural athletic ability that we already have would create a machine. Add BJJ and Muay Thai to the boxing skills and brothers would be whooping all kinda ass.

I know some straight nerdy white boys that can fuck you up if they get you to the ground, just 'cause they learned BJJ. If brothers learned they'd be unbeatable.

WIP
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 778
Joined: July 17th, 2003, 10:15 pm
Location: State Hoppin

Unread post by WIP » July 10th, 2007, 1:31 am

jboogie wrote: Alot of boxing experts say thats why the heavyweight division in boxing is now dominated by foreign fighters, because the bigger black athletes in The U.S. are turning to Basketball and Football because it pays more and is "less dangerous"
The experts are full of $hit. Theres a gang of n*ggas boxing. Its just too much ass squeezin you gotta do to get a title shot. To me the cage fightin is like Arena football. Just somthin to pass the time until a NFL game jumps off or a top rank boxin match.

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2107
Joined: July 15th, 2006, 2:32 am
Location: LAND SEA AIR

Unread post by NICKELS » July 10th, 2007, 6:12 am

creativemind wrote:That's a damn good idea in theory, Nickels. But I think the main reason it'll be hard for Blacks is because the main thing in MMA is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ). And to train at any legit school cost a grip. I know where I train is $130 a month. Most boxing gyms only cost $20-25 a month dues. So BJJ is hard to afford.

But you're right, if more brothers got into it, we would be unstoppable. I'm telling you, just LEARNING to fight, combined with the natural athletic ability that we already have would create a machine. Add BJJ and Muay Thai to the boxing skills and brothers would be whooping all kinda ass.

I know some straight nerdy white boys that can fu-- you up if they get you to the ground, just 'cause they learned BJJ. If brothers learned they'd be unbeatable.
HELL YEAH WE PROVED THAT IN OTHER SPORTS WE DOMINATED....BUT THEN WE STARTED LETTING PEOPLE ON TO HOW WE PLAY AND PRACTICE AND STARTED TRAINING THEM , NOW THEY PLAY LIKE US ...

WHAT COMES TO US NATURALLY , SOME HAVE TO TRAIN HARDER TO GET , DOWNFALL WITH US IS WE GET LAZY SLOW DOWN TRAINING AND FALL BACK ON JUST OUR TALENT , BECAUSE OF MONEY AND WOMEN , DRUGS........EGO

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2247
Joined: October 12th, 2004, 9:48 pm
Location: NYC

Unread post by se11 » July 17th, 2007, 11:30 pm

^^ do you expect any human being with 1/8 of a brain to take anything you say seriously after that?

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 6525
Joined: January 17th, 2005, 10:48 am
Country: Germany
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin
Location: Overseas

Unread post by Sentenza » July 18th, 2007, 4:36 am

NICKELS wrote:
creativemind wrote:That's a damn good idea in theory, Nickels. But I think the main reason it'll be hard for Blacks is because the main thing in MMA is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ). And to train at any legit school cost a grip. I know where I train is $130 a month. Most boxing gyms only cost $20-25 a month dues. So BJJ is hard to afford.

But you're right, if more brothers got into it, we would be unstoppable. I'm telling you, just LEARNING to fight, combined with the natural athletic ability that we already have would create a machine. Add BJJ and Muay Thai to the boxing skills and brothers would be whooping all kinda ass.

I know some straight nerdy white boys that can fu-- you up if they get you to the ground, just 'cause they learned BJJ. If brothers learned they'd be unbeatable.
HELL YEAH WE PROVED THAT IN OTHER SPORTS WE DOMINATED....BUT THEN WE STARTED LETTING PEOPLE ON TO HOW WE PLAY AND PRACTICE AND STARTED TRAINING THEM , NOW THEY PLAY LIKE US ...

WHAT COMES TO US NATURALLY , SOME HAVE TO TRAIN HARDER TO GET , DOWNFALL WITH US IS WE GET LAZY SLOW DOWN TRAINING AND FALL BACK ON JUST OUR TALENT , BECAUSE OF MONEY AND WOMEN , DRUGS........EGO
Honestly i think that blacks have been so very present in the sports and music business in the US because of institutionalized racism.
I have heard someone say once that marginalized minorities are overproportianlly present in those branches because there they can avoid the racism and still be successful. Nobody can turn you down on something because of your race there. If you are the best boxer, you are the best, no matter which skin colour you are.
And also since there was a lack of educational options for poor minorities, doing some sport is the next best thing you can do to make something out of yourself. Thats the case for all minorities or poor people around the world. Check out how many great soccer players come from Brazil. Because they train that there everyday, from childhood on dreaming to escape poverty one day. Some manage to do that, but most dont.
Thats also why you had so many irish and italian boxers and musicians in the end of the 19th/beginning of the 20th century. Because they werent accepted in the US society at first too.

HongKongDan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: July 18th, 2007, 4:07 am

Unread post by HongKongDan » July 18th, 2007, 11:53 pm

Speaking of black guys in MMA, Quentin "Rampage" Jackson is a BEAST! I was thinking that the fight with Chuck Liddell was going to last at least a little while. Old Chuck got knocked the f!@k out! A couple of years ago we were getting a lot of K1 on TV out here. There was a black guy from the US named Bob Sapp who made a quite an impression. Jesus he was huge. No style at all really, just a massive dude who liked to smash people.
As for the money argument, I dont think its legit. There is actually very little money in boxing unless you are at the absolute top of the game. Most boxers are not doing that well. I have a friend who fought for a while because his dad was a boxing fanatic, but even though he won most of his fights he eventually stopped because there just isnt any money in it.

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 571
Joined: December 1st, 2005, 3:30 pm

Unread post by ManifestTruth » July 23rd, 2007, 8:26 pm

[quote] Most boxers are not doing that well.[quote]

Exactly!!! Boxing as is other sports is all about the gate(ie, attendance) and sponsorship. Right now MMA is
outdoing boxing. The average fighter in MMA(UFC, PrideFighting, etc) makes more than the average boxer.
Why? More dates and larger audiences. Boxing superstars(of which we can count on one hand)
out earn they MMA counterparts but that's it.

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1318
Joined: March 5th, 2006, 4:18 pm
Contact:

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » July 23rd, 2007, 8:52 pm

Yes I think the fellas here that stated cost was a barrier are right. Getting the kind of skill in MMA required to compete at anything approximating that level cannot be learned just by reading books, viewing videos and matches, or training with friends or white belts who represent themselves as being something more than they are. Sure, you can improve your game somewhat if you are a beginner in MMA but you will never progress beyond the rudimantary going at it that way and will pick up MANY bad habits that will be tough to break later and will NEVER really learn the technique properly.

There's no way around it: if you want to become proficient you will need to train with a proficient trainer who is not only a good practitioner but also a good teacher (some aren't good teachers). There's no shortcuts here. Even after finding such a trainer; it does cost money and it does takes time and effort.

I personally think it's a good idea. The reasoning is because, in my experience, those that stick with it end up maturing and leaving the knucklehead foolishness behind them. Most gangmembers/thugs/players etc... I've seen come in and train quickly drop out though. The reason is because they are training with mature balanced experts and are getting submitted many times each session. It's very humbling to fight many times each night and get beaten and submitted. And that's just everyday part of the training. Even when they freak out and attack, they get put down fast and then are disciplined and told to leave and not return.

So yes, I think it's a good idea because a small percentage stick with the training and mature into balanced people leaving behind the foolishness. For them, it is life changing.

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2107
Joined: July 15th, 2006, 2:32 am
Location: LAND SEA AIR

Unread post by NICKELS » July 24th, 2007, 12:18 am

THE HOMIE CRAZY HORSE , IS COOL , RAMPAGE IS NICE , ....DO ANYBODY THINK KIMBO SLICE WILL LAST LONG IN THIS FIELD ??

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2107
Joined: July 15th, 2006, 2:32 am
Location: LAND SEA AIR

Unread post by NICKELS » July 24th, 2007, 12:20 am

se11 wrote:^^ do you expect any human being with 1/8 of a brain to take anything you say seriously after that?
HISTORY OF AMERICAN SPORTS AND OLYMPICS HAS PROVENED THAT ......,

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2107
Joined: July 15th, 2006, 2:32 am
Location: LAND SEA AIR

Unread post by NICKELS » July 24th, 2007, 12:22 am

FROM JACK JOHNSON TO JESSE OWENS TO THE WILLIAMS SISTERS , ......WHY AM I WAISTING MY TIME , WITH YOU ...SE 11

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2107
Joined: July 15th, 2006, 2:32 am
Location: LAND SEA AIR

Unread post by NICKELS » July 24th, 2007, 12:30 am

CRO COP IS NICE , DON FRYE WAS NICE TOOOO ........

BOXING :

HEAD INJURIES , BRAIN DAMAGE , SPEECH TROUBLE , ARTHIRITUS , HEAD ACHES , PISSIN BLOOD

MIXED MARTIAL ARTS :

BRIAN DAMAGE , SPECCH TROUBLE , PUNCH DRUNK ,BROKEN BONES , INTERNAL INJURIES , EYESIGHT PROBLEMS , MEMORY LOSS , PUNCH DRUNK , BACK PROBLEMS , LEG PROBLEMS ,JOINTS , ARTHIRITUS , HEADACHES , PISSIN BLOOD , SEIZURES , ETC.

NOW WHEN YOU RETIRE , WHO WILL ENJOY THERE MONEY MORE OR WILL IT GO TO MEDICAL BILLS ......TO RELIEVE THE PAIN YOU WILL HAVE THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2107
Joined: July 15th, 2006, 2:32 am
Location: LAND SEA AIR

Unread post by NICKELS » July 24th, 2007, 12:31 am

AND THE SIDE EFFECTS OR DAMAGE FROM THE STEROID USE OVER TIME , ..DAMN

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1318
Joined: March 5th, 2006, 4:18 pm
Contact:

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » July 24th, 2007, 1:42 am

Sure I think there's a toll if you go professional but steroid testing is mandated across the board today so toss that out of the mix. It's the precursors that aren't being debated. Noortopics and whatnot aren't being used as they are under 50 so what's the beef really? No Steroids today (because they are tested for fully) and the contestants are too young for noortropics. So you have the damage of training and matches and possibly the effects of precursors (which I admit they are probably all taking). Is that over the top though for your average non-college graduate? I don't think so.

User avatar
TomTom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 653
Joined: January 24th, 2004, 10:49 pm
Location: 81st/N.HIGHLANDz

Re: MORE BLACKS SHOULD GET INTO MIXED MARTIAL ARTS - UFC

Unread post by TomTom » August 5th, 2007, 10:02 pm

NICKELS wrote:THEY SHOULD OPEN UP ( M.M.A ) SCHOOLS IN THE HOOD AND BLACK COMMUNITIES - IN THE SAME BOXING GYMS ....SO WE CAN GET INTO THAT SPORT HEAVY TOO
dogg i took judo for 7 months, but didnt like it...it was more of a defensive art that had to do w/ grappling some choke holds, leg bars and some other mess..didnt really like it.i ametuer boxed for 2yrs, and thought that was cool..i still spar w/ some cats to from time to time..

boston312
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 65
Joined: January 29th, 2006, 11:34 pm

Unread post by boston312 » November 8th, 2007, 1:54 am

Im currently training at the BodyShop in Lakewood. The owner Antonio McGee (who is black) is an undefeated IFL fighter. He fought for the Tokyo Sabres. Oonly $100 a month and we work all the arts. Muy Thai, Boxing, wresting and no gi JuJitsu. A bunch of IFL fighters train there and some big names have trained there in the past such as Rampage, Tito, Couture, Phil Baroni and Karo Parysian.

User avatar
creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 639
Joined: April 26th, 2006, 8:54 pm
Location: Culver City
Contact:

Unread post by creativemind » November 8th, 2007, 2:02 am

boston312 wrote:Im currently training at the BodyShop in Lakewood. The owner Antonio McGee (who is black) is an undefeated IFL fighter. He fought for the Tokyo Sabres. Oonly $100 a month and we work all the arts. Muy Thai, Boxing, wresting and no gi JuJitsu. A bunch of IFL fighters train there and some big names have trained there in the past such as Rampage, Tito, Couture, Phil Baroni and Karo Parysian.
McGee is a good fighter. I wish he would expand his game a little more though. He relies a little too much on his wrestling ability. But hey... if it works. I just think that if he was a little more exciting he would get bigger opportunities (UFC, etc). I wonder if he's still a little gun shy after being KO'ed by Chris Brennan a few years back.

bgpride1
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 56
Joined: December 24th, 2007, 10:41 pm
Location: southern california

Unread post by bgpride1 » December 29th, 2007, 4:49 pm

jboogie wrote:Yeah I think the payday in MMA has a lot to do with it. Even boxing isn't offering the amount of money that the NBA and the NFL does, I remember readeing a whole mess of articles on ESPN and Yahoo saying how boxings pay is way less than the NBA and NFL. Alot of boxing experts say thats why the heavyweight division in boxing is now dominated by foreign fighters, because the bigger black athletes in The U.S. are turning to Basketball and Football because it pays more and is "less dangerous"
MMA is less dangerous than some positions in football. I think MMA takes more mental skill but you will be healthy after 5years with no knee,back,torn muscle type of problems. Basketball and baseball are the safest. On the real brothas should be playing baseball and soccer if its for the money.Soccer has some serious worldwide money with desent talent in th U.S.

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » December 29th, 2007, 5:08 pm

whose wanting to be asian now? LOL naw im not ignorant like SOME people on here.

bgpride1
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 56
Joined: December 24th, 2007, 10:41 pm
Location: southern california

Unread post by bgpride1 » December 30th, 2007, 7:10 am

NikexCortez wrote:whose wanting to be asian now? LOL naw im not ignorant like SOME people on here.
Its about the money, gettin paid for knockin heads thats right up most niggas alleys, I predict Brothas will have the whole MMA locked up by 2010. It aint really for the asian style of fightin anyway more like brazilian fool.

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » December 30th, 2007, 11:52 am

ok so then just ignore when anybody who isnt asian bust some asian moves like say cambodian kick boxing.

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1387
Joined: August 2nd, 2004, 5:55 pm
Country: Finland
If in the United States: Alabama
What city do you live in now?: see above
Location: Hellsinki, Finno-Ugria

Unread post by punamusta » December 30th, 2007, 1:40 pm

bgpride1 wrote:
NikexCortez wrote:It aint really for the asian style of fightin anyway more like brazilian fool.
Brazilian jiu-jitsu, that I guess you're referring to, is based on Japanese jiu-jitsu and judo as you can figure out by just looking at the style's name.

But don't you guys really have anything better to do than argue about how many people with certain skin colour should be doing certain sports? That's f*cking pathetic, don't you think.

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » December 30th, 2007, 1:49 pm

of course it is pathetic but some people on here think it is a big deal. i just play along with them lolz.

bgpride1
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 56
Joined: December 24th, 2007, 10:41 pm
Location: southern california

Unread post by bgpride1 » December 30th, 2007, 8:51 pm

NikexCortez wrote:of course it is pathetic but some people on here think it is a big deal. i just play along with them lolz.
$$ On the real who cares Im just bored and I like to talk shit to dumb ass people.They think that most BS is real and matters like all these fools thats into reality TV, which is someone elses reality so I dont waste my time. But talkin shit to you is kind of a p/t hobby for me.

Post Reply

Return to “All Sports Talk”