Your favorite Martial Arts....

Baseball, Basketball, Boxing, Football, Golf, Rugby, Wrestling and any other sport.
Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Your favorite Martial Arts....

Unread post by Sentenza » February 17th, 2008, 8:24 am

Here goes my # 1, Muay Thai/Muay Boran

And of course these guys get my respect:

Just to watch it this is the best to me though:

Out of a movie, but still nice to watch...

blkboi
What city do you live in now?: KIlladelphia

Unread post by blkboi » February 17th, 2008, 9:31 am

do you consider 52blocks karate?

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » February 17th, 2008, 9:57 am

blkboi wrote:do you consider 52blocks karate?
I am not sure where that belongs to. It seems like its a mix of different things.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » February 17th, 2008, 12:41 pm

blkboi wrote:do you consider 52blocks karate?

It is suppose to be a fighting art form.

For stand up, Muay Thai and Savate.

For ground work, Sambo and Brazilian jiu jitsu.

BxxMILITIA
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BxxMILITIA » February 17th, 2008, 2:03 pm

Good topic....I personally like jujitsu n muay thai....those knees n lethal elbows combined with the most dangerous death locks is no joke....I love it...oo yea, I heard kimbo slice destroyed tank abbot in 33 seconds last night...good shit, I'm glad, tank abbot was inviting kimbo to the parking lot when kimbo beat former boxer ray mercer by submission not too long ago...

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » February 17th, 2008, 2:19 pm

BxxMILITIA wrote:Good topic....I personally like jujitsu n muay thai....those knees n lethal elbows combined with the most dangerous death locks is no joke....I love it...oo yea, I heard kimbo slice destroyed tank abbot in 33 seconds last night...good shit, I'm glad, tank abbot was inviting kimbo to the parking lot when kimbo beat former boxer ray mercer by submission not too long ago...
Kimbo is a beast, seriously. He would break me in half in 2 seconds, :lol: :lol:

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » February 17th, 2008, 3:02 pm

And of course i can not leave out the good old Kung Fu movies of the 70s :lol: :lol:

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » February 17th, 2008, 3:16 pm

Gotta love it :lol:

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » February 18th, 2008, 9:22 am

I have to say Taekwondo is not bad either, they have some baaaad ass kicks....

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » February 18th, 2008, 9:49 pm

Nice videos, but ive never really been a big fan of Tae Kwon Do. They train and fight with their hands down at their side, which is unrealistic for street combat.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » February 19th, 2008, 9:27 am

oso1 wrote:Nice videos, but ive never really been a big fan of Tae Kwon Do. They train and fight with their hands down at their side, which is unrealistic for street combat.
Yea in street combat you probably wouldnt have a chance.

Babmuk
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Highfa

Unread post by Babmuk » February 19th, 2008, 9:37 am

I love kung fu,but not in a sport's form.Real one.With nice teacher that kicks your ass giving you a hard time like in the army.And of course i got respect for some other martial arts and real warriors of all times.

As for a street combat i dont have it in my life.First u need to talk second to yell loudly and if it doesnt work than u can try to kick some ass.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » February 25th, 2008, 9:49 am

Anyone know Benny "the Jet" Urquidez? One of my favorite fighters and one of the best Kickboxers of all time....
His fighting record is 58 fights, 58 wins and 49 Kos, should tell you something....

He also had some appearances in Jackie Chan movies

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » February 25th, 2008, 6:11 pm

Yeah I'm familiar with the JET. I have a friend who seen him fight at the Olympic in L.A. against a Thai, with Benny having the upper hand, a riot broke out.

Another one of my friends said he watched Benny, and Bobby "School Boy" Chacon, spar (Just boxing) And Benny kicked Bobbys ass. And Chacon went on to be a world champion.

Once I was in the neighborhood and stopped by The Jets gym, he wasn't there though, too bad I would have like to have met him.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » February 25th, 2008, 6:20 pm

On the subject of Benny "The Jet" Urquidez. I'm pretty sure it was Jhoon Rhee, whom is a Master in Tae Kwon Do and was a training partner of Bruce Lee, made the a comment that he thought that a fight between Benny and Bruce, would have been a good match up.

StoneGreaser
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: near Chicago

Unread post by StoneGreaser » February 25th, 2008, 7:18 pm

Dig up on SuperFoot Wallace...undefeated world full-contact champion, undefeated point fighting world champion, all-around trip as a martial artist. I got the opportunity to play in the ring with him when he was 53, and it was a humbling experience!

Just a note, Joon Rhee pretty much brought TKD to the States.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-bjRT3NQUI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYHu_4AH0ZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFlEJn1pxSU

Jameson7

Unread post by Jameson7 » February 26th, 2008, 6:42 pm

Krav Maga, JKD. Was watching a ufc knock off on showtime and one of the dudes trained in thug jitzu.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » February 26th, 2008, 7:24 pm

Thug Jistu I think that's Yves Edwards. Yves has really good stand up.

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » February 27th, 2008, 5:17 pm

He is a legend. A kickboxer extraordinaire. But he came up in an environment of point fighting and doesn't even know how to adequately sprawl or defend against takedowns. Hate to say it but a good MMA player would close the distance avoiding his strikes and pull a take down against a man that doesn't know how to defend against it and then he'd be submitted. That's the reality of it today. None of that makes him any less a legend or takes away from what he accomplished with his life. I put him up there in the top ten of all-time American martial artists.
StoneGreaser wrote:Dig up on SuperFoot Wallace...undefeated world full-contact champion, undefeated point fighting world champion, all-around trip as a martial artist. I got the opportunity to play in the ring with him when he was 53, and it was a humbling experience!

Jameson7

Unread post by Jameson7 » February 28th, 2008, 11:23 pm

yeah it was him. on the night of the kimbo fight he knocked out the dude who's brother is a boxer (i can't think of his name) with a jumping knee while n a hold. it was sick.

Jameson7

Unread post by Jameson7 » February 28th, 2008, 11:24 pm

yeah it was him. on the night of the kimbo fight he knocked out the dude who's brother is a boxer (i can't think of his name) with a jumping knee while n a hold. it was sick.

StoneGreaser
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: near Chicago

Unread post by StoneGreaser » February 29th, 2008, 1:34 pm

Old Shatterhand wrote:He is a legend. A kickboxer extraordinaire. But he came up in an environment of point fighting and doesn't even know how to adequately sprawl or defend against takedowns. Hate to say it but a good MMA player would close the distance avoiding his strikes and pull a take down against a man that doesn't know how to defend against it and then he'd be submitted. That's the reality of it today. None of that makes him any less a legend or takes away from what he accomplished with his life. I put him up there in the top ten of all-time American martial artists.
StoneGreaser wrote:Dig up on SuperFoot Wallace...undefeated world full-contact champion, undefeated point fighting world champion, all-around trip as a martial artist. I got the opportunity to play in the ring with him when he was 53, and it was a humbling experience!

Agreed, he isn't a grappler, tho' he has done some training in it. Thing is, a grap[pler would have to avoid gettin knocked out on the way in, an he still holds, far as I know, records for the fastest kick, fastest knockout, like that. I know things have changed, a str8 stand-up fighter is at a disadvantage IN THE RING, but I don't think that diminishes the accomplishments of fighters like Wallace, Norris, etc.

An he purely whupped my ass, so!!!

flame_guards_member1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by flame_guards_member1 » April 21st, 2008, 2:03 am

I'm doing a little bit of Shotokan Karate. I have previous experiance doing a few months of Taekwondo.

At least in Shotokan Karate you have free sparring, while in Taekwondo I didn't so it's useless to learn it. Also, Shotokan Karate is great for fighting against any normal person because it's mostly hard hits, you learn how to block and they got some pretty simple and solid techniques, nothing complex or ballet like with other martial arts styles.

My dad has alot of experiance in Shotokan Karate. The Shotokan Karate he practiced back home was nothing like what they teach in the USA or Canada. It is long and very hard. You also have some training techniques that would be called a violation of human rights in the USA or Canada, as well as assault and battery or whatever. For example Mica, which a group of people would make a circle around a person and beat him in the body for a certain amount of time so he would learn how to block.

Besides that, my dad has sparred with 4th, 6th and 8th degree black belts. He knocked out the 6th degree and the 8th degree back then was in fact Dr. Ilija Jorga, founder of Fudokan Shotokan Karate Do:

http://www.fudokanworld.org/

He has military training as well as experiance in alot of fights.

Me, I haven't gotten into any fights, I've avoided them or haven't gotten around to them, so zero experiance in fights, the reason why I'm training Shotokan Karate so I won't get confused and scared if it ever comes to a fight. One of the reasons my dad is so confident all the time is because he knows alot of Shotokan Karate, 2nd degree black belt. He also beat all of the black belts in free sparring at the dojo I go to, who have trained regularly for years while he hasn't for nearly 30 years.

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » April 21st, 2008, 11:02 am

I'm not arguing StoneGreaser. Grew up watching that guy work his magic. Honestly, he is such an enormous MA legend that I'll just leave it there. He truly helped define an entire era of martial artists. That's an awesome experience you had being able to get in the ring with him. Something for the grandkids no doubt. Peace.
StoneGreaser wrote:
Old Shatterhand wrote:He is a legend. A kickboxer extraordinaire. But he came up in an environment of point fighting and doesn't even know how to adequately sprawl or defend against takedowns. Hate to say it but a good MMA player would close the distance avoiding his strikes and pull a take down against a man that doesn't know how to defend against it and then he'd be submitted. That's the reality of it today. None of that makes him any less a legend or takes away from what he accomplished with his life. I put him up there in the top ten of all-time American martial artists.

Agreed, he isn't a grappler, tho' he has done some training in it. Thing is, a grap[pler would have to avoid gettin knocked out on the way in, an he still holds, far as I know, records for the fastest kick, fastest knockout, like that. I know things have changed, a str8 stand-up fighter is at a disadvantage IN THE RING, but I don't think that diminishes the accomplishments of fighters like Wallace, Norris, etc.

An he purely whupped my ass, so!!!

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Belize Nicaragua

Re: Your favorite Martial Arts....

Unread post by razbojnik » June 29th, 2008, 7:45 am

My favourite martial arts has to be Karate. It's a universal type of system, solid and straightforward, simple, no ballet techniques. You learn to take out your opponent and throw punches that are very hard/powerful and very quick.

Look at this vid:

That's how people should fight.

VostokSila
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: City of brotherly hate

Unread post by VostokSila » November 3rd, 2008, 6:58 am

My favorite is Shaolin Kung Fu. only not the sport variant, the one that you learn in the temple in China. The human body turns into a weapon.

After this, I have to say Systema. Russian martial art which they learn in the army. I seen training of it and I think it is a very solid martial art.

3rd is Muai Thai. very practicale on real live situations. Makes your bones like steel.

4th is boxing. also very practicle since most street fights are with hands.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » November 3rd, 2008, 7:43 am

VostokSila wrote:My favorite is Shaolin Kung Fu. only not the sport variant, the one that you learn in the temple in China. The human body turns into a weapon.

After this, I have to say Systema. Russian martial art which they learn in the army. I seen training of it and I think it is a very solid martial art.

3rd is Muai Thai. very practicale on real live situations. Makes your bones like steel.

4th is boxing. also very practicle since most street fights are with hands.
I think you have to differentiate between what looks best and whats most effective.

By the looks i would go with Capoeira, Kung Fu and Taekwondo.

Effectivity: Thai Boxing, all those Army Martial Arts, Boxing, Jiu-Jitsu etc.

VostokSila
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by VostokSila » November 3rd, 2008, 12:59 pm

I think you have to differentiate between what looks best and whats most effective.

I dealt in several types of martial arts. I also read about many of them and spoke to different ppl who practice different types of martial arts.

I pay no attention to what looks best.
You should read a little of Kung Fu before you say its a "show" art.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » November 3rd, 2008, 1:48 pm

VostokSila wrote:

I dealt in several types of martial arts. I also read about many of them and spoke to different ppl who practice different types of martial arts.

I pay no attention to what looks best.
You should read a little of Kung Fu before you say its a "show" art.
Yea i know its very effective too if you master it, including all those "kill your opponent with one hit punches". But some of the styles are just for show. You wouldnt stand a chance in lets say UFC.

VostokSila
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by VostokSila » November 3rd, 2008, 1:54 pm

Yes.. lol if you type in youtube 'Shaolin vs taekwondo' you will get a very rare clip of a Shaolin monk vs a taekwondo master. No disrespect to any form of martial art but in this clip, the shaolin puts the taekwondo to joke lol.

I would like to see a shaolin monk come to the UFC, but this would not happen anytime soon.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » November 3rd, 2008, 3:05 pm

VostokSila wrote:Yes.. lol if you type in youtube 'Shaolin vs taekwondo' you will get a very rare clip of a Shaolin monk vs a taekwondo master. No disrespect to any form of martial art but in this clip, the shaolin puts the taekwondo to joke lol.

I would like to see a shaolin monk come to the UFC, but this would not happen anytime soon.
This one?

VostokSila
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by VostokSila » November 4th, 2008, 6:03 am

No.. I said a monk..

This one..

Return to “All Sports Talk”