Boxers Competing In MMA How Do Well You Think They Would Do?

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
HappLoccc
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: LosAngeles

Boxers Competing In MMA How Do Well You Think They Would Do?

Unread post by HappLoccc » August 1st, 2010, 1:51 pm

There is more and more boxers that seem to want to compete in mixed martial arts,
Merciless Ray Mercer, Ricardo Mayorga which he was suppose to fight in MMA a few months back, due to Don King contract and boxing politics fight was canceled, and now James Lights Out Toney signed up with UFC and will be competing against Randy Couture. How well do you think they would do in MMA Octagon ?

WIP
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Boxers Competing In MMA How Do Well You Think They Would Do?

Unread post by WIP » August 29th, 2010, 1:08 am

i just watched james toney last about a minute. without floor skills boxers dont fair well in this sport.

tysuave
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: vegas

Unread post by tysuave » September 1st, 2010, 2:59 pm

most people wont stand a chance if you stand right in front of a wreslter!!

HappLoccc
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by HappLoccc » September 6th, 2010, 7:33 pm

WIP wrote:i just watched james toney last about a minute. without floor skills boxers dont fair well in this sport.
Unless the Grappler stands toe to toe, then the grappler gets knocked out, otherwise than that like you said without the floor skills the boxers will most likely get beat. James Toney was obvious you could see James was pretty much lost on the ground.

HIGHINSP
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: kush county

Unread post by HIGHINSP » September 7th, 2010, 9:58 pm

I seen that Toney shit...on the real he never had a chance...not because of his ground game everyone knew once it got to the ground he was just a punching bag...Toney needed to come out like Tyson in his prime...run out throwing bombs from the gate uppercuts and hooks...if Toney's fat ass would have actully thrown a power punch and landed he may have had a chance...but he didnt he stood there like a statue and didn't even throw one jab wtf...unlees there's another Iron Mike out there somewhere...ain't no boxers out there with that one hitter quiter right now...so aint no boxer stand a chance...high

HappLoccc
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by HappLoccc » September 12th, 2010, 12:40 am

HIGHINSP wrote:I seen that Toney shit...on the real he never had a chance...not because of his ground game everyone knew once it got to the ground he was just a punching bag...Toney needed to come out like Tyson in his prime...run out throwing bombs from the gate uppercuts and hooks...if Toney's fat ass would have actully thrown a power punch and landed he may have had a chance...but he didnt he stood there like a statue and didn't even throw one jab wtf...unlees there's another Iron Mike out there somewhere...ain't no boxers out there with that one hitter quiter right now...so aint no boxer stand a chance...high
You think a young Mike Tyson would of faired well in the UFC or other MMA matches ?
How about Evander Holyfield and a Young George Foreman and Joe Frazier ?

MCD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: East Side Sacra

Re: Boxers Competing In MMA How Do Well You Think They Would

Unread post by MCD » November 19th, 2010, 12:30 am

it would take some extra training, boxers condition and exercise to have upper body power, most boxers outside of heavyweight dont have powerful legs and some got chicken legs. But if a boxer was able to get a ground game and good physique he probably wouldn't lose any standing battle and could be dangerous.

cliffard
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by cliffard » January 15th, 2011, 8:02 pm

what a boxer needs is to get a half decent ground game and be able to defend against low vicious leg kicks, that will take your stamina and movement away quick time any advantage a boxer might have had is negated straight away, im sure i seen someone do it against kimbo, just kick his legs out to neutralise any chance he had of landing and then just basically used him as a bag....

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Unread post by Quepolo3 » January 16th, 2011, 1:04 am

cliffard wrote:what a boxer needs is to get a half decent ground game and be able to defend against low vicious leg kicks, that will take your stamina and movement away quick time any advantage a boxer might have had is negated straight away, im sure i seen someone do it against kimbo, just kick his legs out to neutralise any chance he had of landing and then just basically used him as a bag....
I agree cliffard. Without some form of defense for take downs or leg kicks, a boxer doesn't fair well. Personally, I don't think tyson would have done well in MMA. Just like Kimbo, anyone with sense would put him on the floor and ground and pound. He probably would have beaten an average MMA fighter, but if he stepped in with a Randy Couture or Rampage, it would have been over. Too seasoned, and too good on the ground.

cliffard
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by cliffard » January 16th, 2011, 4:07 pm

aye q, imagine if tyson hadda quit boxing at 23, spent 3 years under a top wrestling team and a year learning how to use his legs and put the whole package together and then went into mma at 27 (obviously without his predilections for pussy and powder tho :mrgreen: ) now that woulda been something to watch, dude would still be running that shit now!

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Quepolo3 » January 16th, 2011, 4:30 pm

cliffard wrote:aye q, imagine if tyson hadda quit boxing at 23, spent 3 years under a top wrestling team and a year learning how to use his legs and put the whole package together and then went into mma at 27 (obviously without his predilections for pussy and powder tho :mrgreen: ) now that woulda been something to watch, dude would still be running that shit now!
That is a scarey thought bruh. With his stand up, and killer instinct, along with a ground game. Just like when he was boxing, no one would have wanted to fignt him.

cliffard
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by cliffard » January 17th, 2011, 12:55 pm

Quepolo3 wrote:
cliffard wrote:aye q, imagine if tyson hadda quit boxing at 23, spent 3 years under a top wrestling team and a year learning how to use his legs and put the whole package together and then went into mma at 27 (obviously without his predilections for pussy and powder tho :mrgreen: ) now that woulda been something to watch, dude would still be running that shit now!
That is a scarey thought bruh. With his stand up, and killer instinct, along with a ground game. Just like when he was boxing, no one would have wanted to fignt him.
we never even got to see the best of him for long as a boxer, even that would have been a bonus...still, in his prime i dont see anyone handling him, the only person i see remotely capable of it was a prime foreman and even he would struggle, i think tyson in his prime would have beat ali, look how he struggled with smokin joe, tyson at his best was like a super-frazier.....thats why i only see foreman with his ridiculous strength and wrecking ball arms as being possibly able to do the job - rumours say (for what theyre worth) that tyson was even a bit shy of foreman when he was an old man...

MCD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MCD » February 25th, 2011, 11:11 pm

cliffard wrote:what a boxer needs is to get a half decent ground game and be able to defend against low vicious leg kicks, that will take your stamina and movement away quick time any advantage a boxer might have had is negated straight away, im sure i seen someone do it against kimbo, just kick his legs out to neutralise any chance he had of landing and then just basically used him as a bag....
even alot of martial arts masters would have problems in UFC or strykeforce because they got no ground game. It's lame but wrestling trumps everything else, that's why fools with good wrestling backgrounds excel in the UFC. That's why I always liked kickboxing. But if an MMA fighter had a straight 12 round boxing match with decent boxer, he would get rocked.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Quepolo3 » February 26th, 2011, 6:39 am

even alot of martial arts masters would have problems in UFC or strykeforce because they got no ground game. It's lame but wrestling trumps everything else, that's why fools with good wrestling backgrounds excel in the UFC. That's why I always liked kickboxing. But if an MMA fighter had a straight 12 round boxing match with decent boxer, he would get rocked.[/quote]

@MCD- I have to somewhat agree with your comment on wrestlers. While I agree with the fact that fighters with good wrestling backgrounds excel in the UFC, I must disagree that wrestling trumps everything else. A wrestler with out Ju Jitsu is useless. Just like the days when gracie was choking out severson. I think that hand speed takes away the effectiveness of wrestling. Look at Anderson Silva. If you have an exceptional striker, it will take away the ability of the wrestler to shoot, and make it dangerous to come close. But I do agree that wrestling skills are definately an asset.

MCD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MCD » March 6th, 2011, 12:26 pm

Quepolo3 wrote:even alot of martial arts masters would have problems in UFC or strykeforce because they got no ground game. It's lame but wrestling trumps everything else, that's why fools with good wrestling backgrounds excel in the UFC. That's why I always liked kickboxing. But if an MMA fighter had a straight 12 round boxing match with decent boxer, he would get rocked.
@MCD- I have to somewhat agree with your comment on wrestlers. While I agree with the fact that fighters with good wrestling backgrounds excel in the UFC, I must disagree that wrestling trumps everything else. A wrestler with out Ju Jitsu is useless. Just like the days when gracie was choking out severson. I think that hand speed takes away the effectiveness of wrestling. Look at Anderson Silva. If you have an exceptional striker, it will take away the ability of the wrestler to shoot, and make it dangerous to come close. But I do agree that wrestling skills are definately an asset.[/quote]

Yeah you got a point if a striker has enough skill they can nullify a wrestler and ward off his charge. If you look at Lesnar though he wasn't the greatest striker he's just HUGE and overpowers people on the ground. That's how he had success for so long until Cain put him down.

But all this bein said I don't think MMA fighters are superior to a master of a particular art. Fighting in a ring with a referee and list of rules is one thing, fighting with no rules and limitations is different. Rules of the ring severely limit a martial art's ability and prohibits alot of effective moves. I think that's why there's more Muay Thai in the UFC than traditional Kung Fu. Muay Thai is brutal no doubt but it doesn't seem to exploit weak spots/kill spots like Kung fu does and focuses more on blunting damage, which is easier to control then a fist or kick to the neck when we're talking permanent damage.

Scooby318
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Kentucky
What city do you live in now?: Shreveport

Unread post by Scooby318 » March 16th, 2011, 6:11 pm

The rules in MMA negate a lot of what keep boxers safe during matches. I'm a boxing fan but they all would have a hard time in the UFC.

Even Pacquiao would get beat down once he hit that canvas and the ground work started.

MCD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MCD » March 16th, 2011, 11:11 pm

Scooby318 wrote:The rules in MMA negate a lot of what keep boxers safe during matches. I'm a boxing fan but they all would have a hard time in the UFC.

Even Pacquiao would get beat down once he hit that canvas and the ground work started.
yeah that's the thing. Boxers focus on just boxing. When them fools hit the floor they got no ground game..its a done deal. But if you put an mma fighter in a boxing ring he'd get put in the dirt.