Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez

Baseball, Basketball, Boxing, Football, Golf, Rugby, Wrestling and any other sport.
oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Mayweather vs. Alvarez

Unread post by oso1 » June 12th, 2013, 1:30 am

Coup wrote:
oso1 wrote:
MARTINEZ wrote:i didnt catch that fight ^

any links?

Boxing aficionado? Yeah ok.
:lol: Stall Martinez out...he is like all my old school partners
Yes sir, will do 8)
they like straight fighters. Money is a pure boxer/counter puncher...He abuses his opponents and once he sees he has taking their will, he destroys them.

Yup I agree.
I know what Martinez is talking about though...straight Hagler v Hearns, Hagler v Duran or Leonard v Duran type fights.
I got you. 8)

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » June 12th, 2013, 1:38 am

Coup wrote:Oso1 what you know about Hagler v The Beast Mugabi.
I'm sure i've seen highlights but the whole fight, I don't think so.
Money is not looking as old as Hagler was then, but I could make a comparison between that fight and this one. Mugabi was undefeated and I think all of his fights were won by KO. Hagler went at him something viscous.

Money will not have the same strategy but if Canelo wears down, I can see Money trying to knock Canelo out.
Most definitely.
Chop Chop was good for a minute
He's was a solid pro.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez

Unread post by oso1 » June 12th, 2013, 2:28 am

Sweet Science, Harold Johnson. nice moves @3:15 of video.

Orlando Canizales @0:40 of vid, pull right hand counter. @1:17 against ELA's Gold Medalist,Paul Gonzales. @2:30 of the vid, Orlando, never takes his eyes off his opponent. @5:18 fighting Gonzales again. @7:08 Orlando steps out to his right to create an angle then lands a left hook. Again @ 7:47 steps out to his right to create an angle and throws a left and right. @12:48 that was Reyes going down. I remember watching that fight live as a kid. I actually thought Reyes won that fight. Too much good stuff to name in that video.

In my opinion, Orlando Canizales had it all. Fighters like him and Johnson display the Sweet Science.

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » June 12th, 2013, 7:19 am

@ Oso

Don’t ever invite someone over, just to start acting like a dick.

As far as me saying Mama-Verga … I use that in my everyday lingo,

I’m not going to change that up because Im on a forum.

and for those that don’t know Mama Verga is a derogatory term for a MaraVilla gang member

that’s what I was calling Oscar de la Hoya.

I wrote that shit a long ass time ago… why would you bring that up now and not way back then?

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » June 12th, 2013, 2:37 pm

MARTINEZ wrote:@ Oso

Don’t ever invite someone over, just to start acting like a dick.
Martinez, with the comments that you made, the boxing history that you lack, and calling yourself a boxing aficionado, you brought it on yourself.

On a boxing forum you would have been called out on this a long time ago.

As far as me saying Mama-Verga … I use that in my everyday lingo,

I’m not going to change that up because Im on a forum.

and for those that don’t know Mama Verga is a derogatory term for a MaraVilla gang member
that’s what I was calling Oscar de la Hoya.
Nope, it was Oscar that you were talking about. It wasn't Marvin Hagler or even Ruben Navarro, it was Sergio Maravilla Martinez.
I wrote that shit a long ass time ago… why would you bring that up now and not way back then?
Reason why now? Because all of it added up finally felt I should say something.

Anyways, no hard feelings on my part.

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » June 13th, 2013, 6:35 am

@ Oso

We’re not on a boxing forum, this is called streetgangs.com; so no one’s calling me out on nada

and you already know I’m 100% Top Tier when it comes to this varrio gang/hood shit, both in my resume, my repa, my history and my knowledge.

I don’t know what your call a Boxing aficionado, but I’m an intelligent Mexican and aficionado just means “fan”, nothing more.

I don’t bleed boxing but I am definitely a fan of the sport.

example: I listen to rap and hip hop, but my favourite shit is mostly 1980’s thru mid-1990’s music

are you going to tell me I’m not a true hip hop aficionado cus I might not know the whole history of rap from the beginnings in Brooklyn and the Bronx, complete with names and stats all the way thru the original west coast hip hop with NWA, Too Short, Ice T, and name every fuck’n gold grilled rapper on the scene today???

Would someone actually “call me out” and say I’m not a true rap fan cus of that????

Well that’s the kind of mamada you just pulled.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » June 13th, 2013, 10:22 am

MARTINEZ wrote:@ Oso

We’re not on a boxing forum, this is called streetgangs.com;
You're are absolutely right, we are not on a boxing forum, but on a thread/subject about boxing, right?
so no one’s calling me out on nada
I did.
and you already know I’m 100% Top Tier when it comes to this varrio gang/hood shit, both in my resume, my repa, my history and my knowledge.
^ I have no idea why you brought this up. It has nothing to do with what we are talking about, which is boxing.
I don’t know what your call a Boxing aficionado
When I hear aficionado, I immediately think of an expert or historian.

but I’m an intelligent Mexican
^ I have no idea why you brought this up. Show me where I said you were not an intelligent Mexican.
and aficionado just means “fan”, nothing more.
Well then, it all makes sense now.
I don’t bleed boxing but I am definitely a fan of the sport.

example: I listen to rap and hip hop, but my favourite shit is mostly 1980’s thru mid-1990’s music
are you going to tell me I’m not a true hip hop aficionado cus I might not know the whole history of rap from the beginnings in Brooklyn and the Bronx, complete with names and stats all the way thru the original west coast hip hop with NWA, Too Short, Ice T, and name every fuck’n gold grilled rapper on the scene today???
Like you said already, to you, aficionado is just a fan. So no. But like I said already, when I hear aficionado, I think historian and or expert.
Would someone actually “call me out” and say I’m not a true rap fan cus of that????
A fan? Of course not. A rap aficionado? I'm sure there would be plenty of people who would.
Well that’s the kind of mamada you just pulled.
Like I said, Aficionado = expert or historian.

So when someone doesn't know that Mayweather(a defensive wizard) was nearly dropped by Mosley or hurt by Corley, which both fights took place within 8 or 9 years, tells me they are not a boxing aficionado. A fan yes.

When I hear someone say you can't just dish it out, you have to be able to take it too? Well that makes me think they are not a boxing aficionado. A boxing fan OK.

Or when someone calls a man names, who risk his life for a living, is not a boxing aficionado. I would say a casual fan.

That's why I made my comments and I stand by them.

Martinez, thanks for the no name calling, I appreciate it.

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » June 13th, 2013, 10:45 am

Martinez, thanks for the no name calling, I appreciate it..."/

your welcome.

and just to make sure i wasnt talking out of my ass i double check the literal translation and meaning of the word "Aficianado"

guess what came up each time? a fan :mrgreen:

so i stick by what I wrote as well.

yeah - i never claimed to be an expert in Boxing...

but a fan, ...fuck yeah. All day.

Im going to keep it 100 with you, I did lose a Lott of interest in Boxing after a whole bunch of fucked up decisions and supposedly pound per pound Champions unwilling to go at it with each other just to the pride of calling themselvs the True Champion

I would be willing to say that "maybe" :lol: only you and possibly Coups might have a better collection of older fights on VHS ... i got half a garage full of boxing tapes

btw - my Ring magazines goes back 2 decades

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Unread post by Quepolo3 » June 27th, 2013, 6:20 pm

oso1 wrote:So Mayweather vs Alvarez is going to be the biggest fight of 2013. I'd like to hear some predictions. Try to be as specific as possible. KO/TKO, which round, UD/Split decision, any knock downs, and fouls (head butt) :lol: etc, etc.

Coup, alexalonzo, Quepollo3, Martinez, and any others, what do you think?

Reason why I ask is, way before JMM vs Pacquiao took place, some guy made the prediction that Marquez would knock out Pacquiao with a counter right hand. He described it in detail too. Almost to a T. Blew me away.
I just saw a press conference for the fight today. It was held down here in downtown Atlanta. I was surprised that Floyd looked as big or bigger than Canelo. My prediction is Mayweather by Unanimous decision. I think that this will be the best fight of 2013.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » June 28th, 2013, 1:31 am

^ I seen a few pics of Mayweather and Alvarez staring each other down. Both look like the same height, but Alvarez definitely looks more thicker, stockier of the two. First thing I noticed was his big neck.

I read that the tickets already sold out. Suppose to be the fight of the year. Hope it lives up to the hype.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » July 2nd, 2013, 10:41 am

Canelo is bigger and more solid. Him having to drop down will probably hurt him come fight time. I still think he will balloon up by 10-12lbs before the fight after the official weigh in.

Money is talking more fights after the Showtime deal.....makes you wonder what is going on behind the scenes? He and Broner have made it clear that they will never fight and Money has made it damn near official that he feels Broner is his heir apparent and the future of boxing.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » July 3rd, 2013, 12:16 am

Coup wrote:Canelo is bigger and more solid. Him having to drop down will probably hurt him come fight time. I still think he will balloon up by 10-12lbs before the fight after the official weigh in.
I re-watched the Alvarez vs Trout fight this morning. His punch rate was low and his stamina was poor. I believe the catch weight will be a problem for Canelo.

He definitely will re hydrate over 10 lbs when he steps in the ring against Floyd.
Money is talking more fights after the Showtime deal.....makes you wonder what is going on behind the scenes?

I didn't know this. Mayweather can't be broke he just signed that ShowTime deal.
He and Broner have made it clear that they will never fight and Money has made it damn near official that he feels Broner is his heir apparent and the future of boxing.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » August 16th, 2013, 12:40 pm

SHOWTIME SPORTS® TAKES VIEWERS INTO THE LIVES OF FLOYD MAYWEATHER & CANELO ALVAREZ WITH

Four-Part Series Premieres Saturday, Aug. 24 at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT on SHOWTIME®

NEW YORK (August 15, 2013) – SHOWTIME Sports will offer the latest chapter of its award winning original documentary series ALL ACCESS in advance of the boxing event of the year – “THE ONE: Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez”. ALL ACCESS: Mayweather vs. Canelo will take viewers into the dramatic and often unpredictable lives of the two superstars at the epicenter of one of the biggest sporting events of the year. The series premieres Saturday, Aug. 24 at 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT on SHOWTIME, preceding the live SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING event headlined by Abner Mares vs. Jhonny Gonzalez.

“THE ONE: Mayweather vs. Canelo,” a four-fight SHOWTIME PPV® event, will take place Saturday, Sept. 14 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Renowned documentarian Ross Greenburg returns as executive producer on ALL ACCESS: Mayweather vs. Canelo, which features the series’ trademark approach that allows its subjects to guide the narrative on real terms.

The series offers an intimate portrait of Mayweather and Canelo, and their respective camps, as they embark on an unprecedented 10-city, two-country media tour to formally announce the most highly anticipated boxing event in recent memory. Viewers join the two superstars with unparalleled access as they jet set across North America amid rabid fanfare – an estimated 125,000 fans came out to the 10 press conferences over the nine-day journey.

Viewers are introduced to emerging superstar Canelo like never before. Witness the Mexican national hero as he’s greeted by an estimated crowd of more than 30,000 excitable fans at the Mexico City stop on the press tour. Then follow his transition from the hectic media and fan blitz to the respite of family life in Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico. Canelo explores his Mexican roots and revisits the gym where he started his career with trainer Jose “Chepo” Reynoso and manager Eddie Reynoso, the two men who have guided Canelo to the pinnacle of the sport.

Through the four episodes of ALL ACCESS, SHOWTIME cameras are entrenched in the fighters’ training camps as they prepare for “THE ONE”. Viewers will experience the contrast between Mayweather’s Las Vegas based training camp and Canelo’s retreat to the quiet focus in Big Bear, Calif., as both men prepare for boxing’s biggest fight in nearly a decade.

Episode 2 premieres Saturday, Aug. 31, Episode 3 premieres Saturday, Sept. 7 and Episode 4 premieres Wednesday, Sept. 11. Encore presentations will air on CBS Sports Network, SHOWTIME and SHOWTIME EXTREME.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » August 17th, 2013, 4:46 am

Did I miss something, when is episode 1? I'm guessing the 24th of August. I'm looking forward to watching this.

I seen some pics of Alvarez, he looks lean and muscular right now, but he still has 10 or 12 pounds to lose. In order for him to make weight, he's going to have to lose muscle.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » August 20th, 2013, 2:44 pm

Sugar Shane says Floyd has a slight edge but Canelo can win if he brings A game.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » August 20th, 2013, 5:06 pm

He is right....edge for Money right now. Mosley got that "boxed too long look" in his eyes. In 10-15 years I hope he is okay.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » August 20th, 2013, 9:31 pm

I seen that video when it first came out. A few of Floyds opponents have said, that he hits harder than what they thought, which is why they don't execute they're game plan.

I hate fans that make comments such as, feather fisted Floyd, he can't knock out anyone. He doesn't have to KO anyone with one or two punches. He gets their respect though.

Just look at Floyds last fight. He was hurting Guerrero with punches to the mid section. Beautiful.

Not long ago, I was talking to this guy who took his sons(both box pro) to train at Mayweather's gym. He met Floyd. He said he's a really nice guy, that Floyd just puts on a show when the cameras are on him.

He also met Hopkins and De La Hoya. Said both were assholes.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » August 21st, 2013, 8:45 am

LOL....that is common knowledge about De La Hoya...never heard that about Hopkins though.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Unread post by Quepolo3 » August 21st, 2013, 9:11 am

Oso 1- I absolutely agree playa! I have heard that too about Floyd's power. People sleep on him. It's not about the muscles and size but the speed and technique. Floyd has exceptional speed, but he is one of the most fundamentally sound fighters around. Remember the saying speed is power, and that is true. I think what makes Floyd great is his ability to adapt to his opponents. He can kill you with his speed, use combinations, shoulder rolls and break you down. More importantly he turns every punch and is extremely accurate. I really like Canelo, but I give the advantage to Mayweather.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » August 21st, 2013, 2:57 pm

Coup wrote:LOL....that is common knowledge about De La Hoya...never heard that about Hopkins
though.
Not long ago, I read ODLH's biography. I thought to myself, if this is true, what a piece of shit he is. The guy I that I talked to confirmed some of it. He said he was there when Oscar was signing autographs and Oscar was talking shit about the exact same person that he was signing for, all while smiling. That dude has issues.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » August 21st, 2013, 3:03 pm

Quepolo3 wrote:Oso 1- I absolutely agree playa! I have heard that too about Floyd's power. People sleep on him. It's not about the muscles and size but the speed and technique. Floyd has exceptional speed, but he is one of the most fundamentally sound fighters around. Remember the saying speed is power, and that is true. I think what makes Floyd great is his ability to adapt to his opponents. He can kill you with his speed, use combinations, shoulder rolls and break you down. More importantly he turns every punch and is extremely accurate. I really like Canelo, but I give the advantage to Mayweather.
Those three belong all together. Yup, I agree with you.

Before I forget, I commented on that video before I saw it. It isn't the same video that I saw a while ago but pretty much gives the same info from Shane.

SOUFLONDON
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: LDN

Unread post by SOUFLONDON » August 23rd, 2013, 3:51 pm

I'm a betting man.
Floyds last handful of fights have mostly been 12 round unanimous decisions, mostly because of his defensive skills and pot shotting accuracy.
If I was to bet on this fight I got Floyd on a split decision.
Mainly because of the size and strength of Canelo and the likeliness he won't be knocked down to the canvas.
He is expected to bully Floyd and be there right in his face.
I see him trying to pressurize Money into making a mistake or getting him to brawl.
Canelo has a punchers chance. Floyd ain't getting no younger and his reflexes won't be getting faster.
But hey, wouldn't be surprised to see a stoppage from Canelo In the later rounds too.
Fuck, Pac Man got sparked against Marquez when he was controlling that fight.
Sheeeit, I thought he was dead when he was out there planking on the canvas.
Hard one to call, but yeah Floyd wins this.
Oh yeah, cant see Floyd retiring after 5 fights.
The money is just too good and too easy. Ask Hopkins, ask Roy Jones, Holyfield...
Besides ain't he already retired before ?

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » August 25th, 2013, 6:18 am

All access Mayweather vs Alvarez

Even though Molina stopped TMT fighter, Bey, I like how Floyd congratulated him.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » August 25th, 2013, 6:50 am

SOUFLONDON wrote:
Floyds last handful of fights have mostly been 12 round unanimous decisions
If Floyd didn't injure his hand, I thought he was going to stop Guerrero, which does mean something, Robert has never been stopped before.
He is expected to bully Floyd and be there right in his face.
I see him trying to pressurize Money into making a mistake or getting him to brawl.
I think this is his only option because he's not going to out box Mayweather.
Canelo has a punchers chance.
Floyd ain't getting no younger and his reflexes won't be getting faster.
True, Floyd is getting older but he looked great against Guerrero. Considering that he will be fighting again so soon, he should be sharp and ready to go.
But hey, wouldn't be surprised to see a stoppage from Canelo In the later rounds too.
It's possible, but if Alvarez is going to KO Floyd, I think his chances are better early in the fight. I'm judging my opinion from Alvarez last fight, where he was lacking in stamina. The longer the fight goes, the better it is for Mayweather.
Fuck, Pac Man got sparked against Marquez when he was controlling that fight.
Sheeeit, I thought he was dead when he was out there planking on the canvas.
I thought so too.
Hard one to call, but yeah Floyd wins this.
Considering Alvarez has to come in a few pounds lighter, and like I mentioned before his stamina was lacking, I think Floyd will take this fight by UD.
Besides ain't he already retired before ?
It's rumored that Floyd retired so that he wouldn't have to fight Margarito, Cotto, and DLH again.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » August 26th, 2013, 9:20 am

I think he left for money reasons....since he came back all of his fights have been co-promoted with Golden Boy and he is making a shitload of money. He may have had to kick back to Arum before the retirement....don't quote me just something I remember hearing about.

SOUFLONDON
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SOUFLONDON » August 29th, 2013, 1:57 pm

It's funny how these boxing promoters are so charming infront of the cameras, but as soon as the camera disappears they mean and moody.
De la hoya was loved by American tv and American Mexicans.
He was loved like he was Jesus.
Kind of like Alvarez is now.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » August 29th, 2013, 10:00 pm

According to De La Hoya, he and Arum were sitting in the office once and Arum made a comment about a fighter who didn't question where his money went. Arum said, it's not my fault he's stupid.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » September 1st, 2013, 3:40 pm

All access part 2

SOUFLONDON
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SOUFLONDON » September 6th, 2013, 2:09 pm

I can see how Oscar is hating lowkey

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » September 8th, 2013, 8:18 pm

There is a bar in Los Angeles on Crenshaw & 39th Street showing the fight. Does anyone want to connect and watch the fight? Lets get at least 10 guys.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » September 12th, 2013, 10:31 am

PROMO INFO
FLOYD “MONEY” MAYWEATHER & CANELO ALVAREZ

FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE QUOTES

THREE DAYS BEFORE “THE ONE: MAYWEATHER vs. CANELO”

“He’s 42-0, but he hasn’t faced 42 Floyd Mayweathers” – Floyd Mayweather

“I don’t care about his record….I’m coming to win” – Canelo Alvarez

Saturday, Sept. 14, LIVE on SHOWTIME PPV®

From the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas

LAS VEGAS, NEV. (Sept. 11, 2013) – Eight-time, five-division World Champion Floyd “Money” Mayweather and Super Welterweight World Champion and Mexican Superstar Canelo Alvarez were all business during Wednesday’s final press conference at KA Theatre at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, just three days before Saturday’s historic “THE ONE: MAYWEATHER vs. CANELO.”

Canelo’s WBC, WBA and Ring Magazine Super Welterweight World Championships and Mayweather’s WBA Super Welterweight Super World Championship will be at stake on SHOWTIME PPV in the most significant boxing showdown in recent memory.

Here’s what the fighters, promoters and trainers had to say during the event:

FLOYD MAYWEATHER:

“Its fight time, what else can I say? If the game plan is to keep pressure, I can handle it. If the game plan is to out box me, nobody can out box me. You have to be able to out match me mentally, and I’m the strongest mental fighter in the sport of boxing.

“I’ve been here before so I know what it takes. He’s 42-0, but he hasn’t faced 42 Floyd Mayweathers because he’d be 0-42. I’m at the pinnacle. I’m the face of boxing and I’m dedicated to my craft.

“I’m Floyd Mayweather; I can turn any fighter into a star. I don’t worry about running out of opponents. I’ve got guys under my banner I can turn into stars and fight.”

“September 14 is just another stepping stone, another opponent to me. But he knows he’s facing Floyd Mayweather; I’m facing just another opponent.

“Career-wise, I’m OK, no matter what the outcome is. I never worry about the outcome. When I go into any fight, I’m not focused on the money or anything. I’m focused on going out there, performing well, and giving the fans what they want to see – excitement. That’s what it’s all about; it’s about the fans winning. He’s still got a lot of weight to get off. My weight is made, I woke up this morning 150 (pounds).

“I guess other fighters look at it as you win some, you lose some. Me, I look at it as I want to win them all. I’m a winner. I don’t lose.

On how he knows Canelo still has to cut weight:

“I know it, because it’s my job to know it. My job as a fighter to know everything about any opponent I’m facing.”

On his most important advantage:

“Being able to just make changes and adjust instantly. It’s no different from you seeing Shane (Mosley) hit me with a good shot. I say it’s not a problem, because Shane isn’t going to cut me on my face, I’m not going for that. But Shane is a future Hall of Famer; I can’t take anything away from Shane. And someday Canelo will go down in the Hall of Fame, as one of the opponents I beat.”

CANELO ALVAREZ:

“I don’t care about his record. I’m not coming to make a good fight, I’m coming to win.

“When you fight Floyd you have to be ready for every aspect of a fight. You have to be able to adjust mentally as well as physically. I have to be very, very smart and ready to change my plan at any time.

“You’ll see how I do it. You’ll see how I beat him. I’m calm and I’m just ready to fight.

“We’ve prepared like never before. Floyd is a fighter who throws like five punchers a round and he lands them – that’s why he wins rounds. But we’re prepared for that; we’re prepared for everything.

“I’m ready for the best Floyd possible. He can change his game plan and I will be ready.

“I’ve studied him. I know his style and I know what he’s going to do. “I’m confident I will win because I know everything about him. I’ve prepared for everything.

“It’s important from the opening bell to fight smart and not fall into his game plan. I need to stick to my plan, not fall into his.

“He’s a very good counterpuncher but I’m ready for that. I have to be smart with his counterpunching but I’m confident we can handle it.

“It’s important to throw combinations. You have to know how to apply them and you have to hit the head and the body. That will be key.

It truly is a pleasure to be part of this. I appreciate all of the support for this fight. I want to thank my team for working hard with me. On Saturday night, I will be victorious.”

On having all of Mexico rooting for him:

“There’s no pressure whatsoever. It’s motivating to have all of Mexico rooting for me.”

On why Floyd hasn’t talked much trash leading into this fight:

“I think it’s because his other opponents want to talk trash. I respect everyone except when we get in the ring.”

RICHARD SCHAEFER, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions

“The WBC has produced a very special belt for this occasion. It’s a first time that they have melted a big gold bar into the belt. This is a belt made of pure gold.

“Our sponsors put over $40 million of activation behind this promotion. Corona is our lead sponsor and they spent 50 percent of their conventional ad buy on our promotion.

“Boxing is the highest rated television programming in Mexico. Mexico’s government and the tourism board have put their promotional efforts in the sport of boxing. They have become a great partner and ambassador of this promotion and Golden Boy Promotions.

“In addition, we have sponsorships and partnerships with Fathom, Nature Nutrition, Fred Loya Insurance, O’Reilly Auto Parts, AT&T and Valvoline.

“Fathom is going to be showing this promotion live on 550 screens. This is our sixth fight with Fathom. We’ve already sold out many theaters already. There are more than 26,000 seats for closed circuit at the MGM Mirage Resort properties as well as many bars and restaurants across the country.

“In Australia, the pay per view has already broken all-time records with three days before fight night.

“This fight has been off the charts. This fight is something special. Celebrities are calling us to purchase tickets.

“We hope to set the all-time pay-per-view record come Saturday night.”

LEONARD ELLERBE, CEO of Mayweather Promotions

“Floyd is the face of boxing, the highest paid athlete in sports. He’s accomplished everything, broke all the records. Come Saturday night, you guys will see the same old Floyd Mayweather, the one that always wins.

“This has been a wonderful promotion so far and the fans will be the real winners.”

STEPHEN ESPINOZA, EVP SHOWTIME Sports

“Thank you to the MGM for its hospitality and Richard Schaefer and Golden Boy Promotions.

“This is the biggest and best event—THE ONE. We have the biggest live gate. We have a great line-up of sponsors. We are live streaming all of our events leading up to the fight. CBS has had 150 radio stations across the United States promoting the fight.

“None of this happens without Floyd Mayweather and Canelo Alvarez. This event doesn’t happen without their commitment

“For those of you who are college football fans, I urge you all to tune in to the start of this Saturday’s college football game on CBS at 12:30 PT/3:30 ET. Be sure not to be late because there will be a surprise for boxing fans at the top of that broadcast.”

JOSE “CHEPO” REYNOSO, Trainer of Canelo Alvarez

“This is a historic fight, but the time for talking is over. On Saturday night Saul “Canelo” Alvarez will make history and he will be victorious.

EDDIE REYNOSO, Co-trainer of Canelo Alvarez

“It’s a great pleasure to be a part of this historic event. Obviously, as a Mexican, we always come out to demonstrate that we win can and on Saturday it will be no different. We will prove that we can.”

ABOUT “THE ONE: MAYWEATHER VS. CANELO”:
“THE ONE: MAYWEATHER VS. CANELO,” a 12-round fight for Canelo's WBC, WBA and Ring Magazine Super Welterweight World Championships and Mayweather's WBA Super Welterweight Super World Championship taking place Saturday, Sept. 14 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, is promoted by Mayweather Promotions, Golden Boy Promotions and Canelo Promotions and sponsored by Corona, O'Reilly Auto Parts, AT&T, Valvoline, Mexico Tourism, Fred Loya Insurance and Nature Nutrition. In the 12-round co-featured attraction, WBC, WBA Super and Ring Magazine Super Lightweight World Champion Danny Garcia and thunderous puncher WBC Interim Super Lightweight World Champion Lucas Matthysse square off in a fight presented in association with Swift Promotions and Arano Box Promotions. Also, Ishe Smith vs. Carlos Molina square off in a 12-round battle for Smith's IBF Junior Middleweight World Title which is promoted in association with Warriors Boxing. The opening bout on SHOWTIME PPV features a 10-round welterweight showdown between Pablo Cesar Cano and Ashley Theophane. The mega-event will be produced and distributed live by SHOWTIME PPV® beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET/6:00 p.m. PT. The event can be heard in Spanish using secondary audio programming (SAP).

Less than 24 hours after going on sale in June, the event was sold out, but six MGM Resorts properties will host live closed circuit telecasts of "THE ONE." Properties showcasing the event include ARIA, MGM Grand, Mandalay Bay, The Mirage, Monte Carlo and New York-New York. General admission tickets for the closed circuit telecasts are priced at $100, not including handling fees, and are available for purchase at each individual property's box office outlets and also are available for purchase by phone with a major credit card at 866-799-7711. Closed circuit ticket sales are limited to eight (8) per person. Tickets also are available through Ticketmaster by calling (800) 745-3000 or online at www.ticketmaster.com. “THE ONE” will also be broadcast on nearly 550 select movie theaters across the country. Tickets are available at participating theater box offices and online at www.FathomEvents.com.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » September 12th, 2013, 1:50 pm

@1 wrote:There is a bar in Los Angeles on Crenshaw & 39th Street showing the fight. Does anyone want to connect and watch the fight? Lets get at least 10 guys.
I'm all the way over here in Pomona, and I already have a place to watch the fight.

I'm curious, how much are they charging? 15, 20 bucks?

Return to “All Sports Talk”