Boxing on TV Saturday night.

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Boxing on TV Saturday night.

Unread post by oso1 » March 7th, 2015, 3:04 am

Saturday evening, a good night for boxing fans. Keith Thurman vs Robert Guerrero, Adrien Broner vs John Molina, and Abner Mares vs Arturo Reyes. With the exception of Reyes, I'm familiar with these fighters and this is going to be a good card.

Broner couldn't make weight, he came in over by 1 pound. I read somewhere that 3 day's prior to the weigh in, he was in the sauna trying to cut weight. If this is true, it's a bad sign that he will not perform at his best tonight.

Forgot to add that Broner vs Molina bout was scheduled for 10 rounds, but now is a 12 round bout.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Re: Boxing on TV Saturday night.

Unread post by Quepolo3 » March 7th, 2015, 5:28 am

@ Oso1- Appreciate the post playa! Who is televising the bouts?

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » March 7th, 2015, 1:43 pm

Quepolo3 wrote:@ Oso1- Appreciate the post playa! Who is televising the bouts?

NBC channel 4. Thanks to Al Haymon. Hopefully he continues to put on more very good fights. Also would like to add, I think this card could have easily been put on any PPV undercard, and most fans would consider it a stacked card.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » March 12th, 2015, 5:56 am

No new post, I guess I'm the only one who viewed the fights?

I didn't see the Abner Mares fight, I don't even know if it was televised.

Broner vs Molina, well what can I say? Molina did land a nice combination in the 3rd or 4th round, and Broner took it with no problems. Before and after that combination, Molina did not let his hand's go. This was not the same Molina that has fought in the past.

Broner would throw 5 to 6 punches, or sometimes even more, before Molina would even throw a punch. Molina didn't seemed to be bothered by Broner's punches, which is why I'm puzzled as to why he didn't go in on Broner like he did Bey.

Keith Thurman vs Robert Guerrero, it was an OK fight. I thought if Keith could land on Robert early, that he would be able to stop him. Even though Guerrero got dropped, he does have a chin on him. I'm surprised he made it all the way to the end of the fight.

bumperjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Hawaii
What city do you live in now?: Honalulu

Unread post by bumperjack » March 12th, 2015, 7:58 am

Yes Oso1,I seen the fight Thurman is also still undefeated, I was also surprised Guerrero lasted the entire fight after he got dropped he looked pretty sluggish the remainder of the fight.

I been following boxing along time,seems like every since MMA came along it's not as popular as it has been in the past still one of my favorite sports.

It's still good to see there is interest out there.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » March 12th, 2015, 1:39 pm

Yes sir, I agree Boxing is also my favorite sport.

To be honest I'm surprised you responded in this thread.

I read in one of your old post that you use to box, and if I'm not mistaken, you were a golden gloves champ?

What's is your take on the Mayweather vs Pacquiao bout?

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » March 12th, 2015, 3:29 pm

Saturday was okay....nothing out of the ordinary. Next they have to put Broner and Maidana 2, or Swift together. Broner is going to sit still as the "next great fighter" as long as Mayweather is around. He showed his talent even not being able to make weight.

Thurman is good, but he will be picked apart by a skilled boxer. He was too athletic and strong for Ghost to handle.

Haymond has the makings for some really interesting fights for the next few years with this stable.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » March 13th, 2015, 1:26 am

Coup wrote:Saturday was okay....nothing out of the ordinary. Next they have to put Broner and Maidana 2, or Swift together. Broner is going to sit still as the "next great fighter" as long as Mayweather is around. He showed his talent even not being able to make weight.

Thurman is good, but he will be picked apart by a skilled boxer. He was too athletic and strong for Ghost to handle.

Haymond has the makings for some really interesting fights for the next few years with this stable.
If Broner has trouble making weight, he's going to have to move to 147 sooner or later. Amir Khan vs Broner would be a good fight, and I think with Khan's style, he would beat Broner.

Danny Garcia's a big strong Jr welterweight. He will be moving up to 147 soon. Broner vs Garcia will eventually happen, that's if they both continue to win. I don't know who to favor between those two.

Maidana vs Broner 2? I see no real improvements in Broner's defense. If Molina could land that nice little combo, well Maidana would do some serious damage. I would favor Maidana in a rematch.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » March 13th, 2015, 11:55 am

Khan vs. Broner would be good but I see Broner winning by KO. Khan has equal if not better speed but no power. Broner has pop to his punches. Khan has shown that he gets caught.

Swift vs. Broner is a pick em for me too. They both have skills but Swift has looked a little off his last few fights to me. I would slightly lean towards Broner only because of his hand speed but that could go either way.

Maidana vs. Broner 2 is also a pick em. I know Maidana handled him with his aggression and power last time, but Broner was too busy being a clown. When he was getting tagged and got serious he looked better but it was too late. He has Maidana with the speed, but Maidana has the pop. I would lean towards Maidana, but could easily see Broner winning by decision.

bumperjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Hawaii
What city do you live in now?: Honalulu

Unread post by bumperjack » March 13th, 2015, 6:41 pm

Oso... yes I did box and was a golden glove champ and military "USMC" light weight champion...I believe Mayweather will be victorious in May...Pacquiao is a good fighter but I believe his skill and talent isn't quite as good as Mayweather who is a very talented and polished fighter...Boxing is a great sport... I fought my whole youth...Yeah OSO1 don't be surprised I'm real and respectful and don't really care who your with or was with far as gangs or race...Boxing is the subject and it's no underated,but still alive and well.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » March 14th, 2015, 6:30 pm

Coup wrote:Khan vs. Broner would be good but I see Broner winning by KO. Khan has equal if not better speed but no power. Broner has pop to his punches. Khan has shown that he gets caught.
Khan's is faster, throws combinations, keeps busy, uses his reach, boxes from the outside, and gives lateral. All advantages that will give Broner trouble. Everyone that knows Khan has to agree that his chin is not the best, as a matter of fact, it's terrible.

BUT, I was really impressed with Khans performance against Alexander. That was by far the best that Amir Khan looked, and that was against a SOLID professional, Devon Alexander.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Unread post by Quepolo3 » March 14th, 2015, 7:10 pm

oso1 wrote:No new post, I guess I'm the only one who viewed the fights?

I didn't see the Abner Mares fight, I don't even know if it was televised.

Broner vs Molina, well what can I say? Molina did land a nice combination in the 3rd or 4th round, and Broner took it with no problems. Before and after that combination, Molina did not let his hand's go. This was not the same Molina that has fought in the past.

Broner would throw 5 to 6 punches, or sometimes even more, before Molina would even throw a punch. Molina didn't seemed to be bothered by Broner's punches, which is why I'm puzzled as to why he didn't go in on Broner like he did Bey.

Keith Thurman vs Robert Guerrero, it was an OK fight. I thought if Keith could land on Robert early, that he would be able to stop him. Even though Guerrero got dropped, he does have a chin on him. I'm surprised he made it all the way to the end of the fight.
@Oso1- I checked them out! Broner won the fight, but wasn't impressed at all. The more I watch him fight, the less I like of him as a fighter. I don't know if it was the skill level of Molina or if the was off. Just wasn't busy enough. I thought the Thurman fight was the better of the two, Guerrero took some shots and stayed in there. I thought it was the right decision.

I'm checking out this Kovalev vs. Pascal fight now.