Kharma: What does it mean to you?

Religion is probably the biggest divider in world history, but for those that believe in God it is central to our existence. Share your views.
User avatar
Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2631
Joined: January 13th, 2004, 3:54 pm
Location: In your MIND and in your HEART.

Kharma: What does it mean to you?

Unread post by Common Sense » August 10th, 2006, 12:42 pm

What it means to me: You get back what you put out into the universe. "What goes around comes around type of thing". It could be good or extremely evil. If you are cool with people and respectful, people tend to be that way back to you. Those who trip on people, get tripped on back. So in a wierd way, we can somewhat choose our destiny. What do I want for myself? Maybe the first step is, let me be cool to people.

Wikipedia has an interesting definition and little bit about it's origins.

The Theory of Karma
Karma literally means action. We first take an intent and follow it up with action in the form of thought, speaking to others, planning and execution.

According to the Theory of Karma - every action taken to achieve a result or profit (fruit of action) leaves a trace or a karmic residue behind it. It is this residue that keeps accumulating and takes away one's well-being and freedom. Only a person who acts to produce results without worrying about profit (Nishkama Karma or Niskarma) does not accumulate such a Karmic residue. Such action normally comes from love or pure passion.

More on this here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kharma

User avatar
Christina Marie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9305
Joined: August 11th, 2005, 4:58 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA
Location: CA

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 10th, 2006, 6:14 pm

Sure I believe in Karma. When I was young I did some messed up things, I truly believe I am paying for it now. I do my best now to be a good person and do the right thing/make the best choices everyday. Nobody is perfect though.

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 286
Joined: February 5th, 2005, 6:24 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Unread post by Anesis » August 10th, 2006, 7:17 pm

Sometimes, when I'm cynical, I think it's people's way of dealing with issues that they can't or won't deal with.

Example: A friend of mine was left by her husband for being overweight. Her comment: He'll get his. She didn't file for divorce - she got liposuction!

I think people want reasons for the bad things that happen to them.

I think most people who claim they believe in karma do so because they think they can atone for past sins or prepare for future ones. If karma really is a working force, does it matter if you believe in it or not? You can't accumulate good karma for the sake of doing "good karma." You get it by being a good person. I just try to be a good person and don't try to figure out WHY I should be a good person.

User avatar
Christina Marie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9305
Joined: August 11th, 2005, 4:58 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA
Location: CA

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 10th, 2006, 7:20 pm

Anesis wrote:Sometimes, when I'm cynical, I think it's people's way of dealing with issues that they can't or won't deal with.

Example: A friend of mine was left by her husband for being overweight. Her comment: He'll get his. She didn't file for divorce - she got liposuction!

I think people want reasons for the bad things that happen to them.

I think most people who claim they believe in karma do so because they think they can atone for past sins or prepare for future ones. If karma really is a working force, does it matter if you believe in it or not? You can't accumulate good karma for the sake of doing "good karma." You get it by being a good person. I just try to be a good person and don't try to figure out WHY I should be a good person.

Doesnt matter to me....I am forgiven anyways.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 6525
Joined: January 17th, 2005, 10:48 am
Country: Germany
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin
Location: Overseas

Unread post by Sentenza » August 10th, 2006, 8:09 pm

Christina Marie wrote:Sure I believe in Karma. When I was young I did some messed up things, I truly believe I am paying for it now. I do my best now to be a good person and do the right thing/make the best choices everyday. Nobody is perfect though.
Yea me too. I mess up some things pretty bad sometimes.

User avatar
Christina Marie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9305
Joined: August 11th, 2005, 4:58 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA
Location: CA

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 10th, 2006, 9:28 pm

Sentenza wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:Sure I believe in Karma. When I was young I did some messed up things, I truly believe I am paying for it now. I do my best now to be a good person and do the right thing/make the best choices everyday. Nobody is perfect though.
Yea me too. I mess up some things pretty bad sometimes.
If I sat too long and thought about/beat myself up for all the crap I have done I would probably go mad. Thank God (literally) that I am graced with forgiveness. Its not only that. I FORGIVE myself. And like I said...I just try and be a better person today. I take everything as it comes and walk through it.

none for you
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1040
Joined: January 17th, 2006, 11:09 pm
Location: right here at home

Unread post by none for you » August 10th, 2006, 9:54 pm

I dont beleive Kharma is anythign like stubbing my toe, and freeassociating it to some evil thought or deed...
no kharma is bigger than that

ever meet someone and feel a special tie (good or bad) and that what transpires between you and that other person is in direct relation to some past life event you had together and that as long as there is unfinished business between you and that other perosn, you remain tied in some way/...

an example would be a person who took the life of another, in the next life that person would feel a need to get some sort of recompence or payback on that oerson, and usually that person would try to correct it, but hte victim would preventit, in order to stay enmeshed...

have you ever been te recipent of some anonymous kind gesture? or receve kind charity from a straner? ever wonder why? that is more of a positive kharmic return than say and act of God. same as something unkind... acts of God arent Kharmic in the way that acts of humans is.

User avatar
Christina Marie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9305
Joined: August 11th, 2005, 4:58 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA
Location: CA

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 10th, 2006, 9:59 pm

realize the real lies wrote:I dont beleive Kharma is anythign like stubbing my toe, and freeassociating it to some evil thought or deed...
no kharma is bigger than that

ever meet someone and feel a special tie (good or bad) and that what transpires between you and that other person is in direct relation to some past life event you had together and that as long as there is unfinished business between you and that other perosn, you remain tied in some way/...

Yes


an example would be a person who took the life of another, in the next life that person would feel a need to get some sort of recompence or payback on that oerson, and usually that person would try to correct it, but hte victim would preventit, in order to stay enmeshed...

have you ever been te recipent of some anonymous kind gesture? or receve kind charity from a straner? ever wonder why? that is more of a positive kharmic return than say and act of God. same as something unkind... acts of God arent Kharmic in the way that acts of humans is.
You get deep RTL.....thats why I love you girl!!!!!!

none for you
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1040
Joined: January 17th, 2006, 11:09 pm
Location: right here at home

Unread post by none for you » August 10th, 2006, 10:12 pm

Christina Marie wrote:
realize the real lies wrote:I dont beleive Kharma is anythign like stubbing my toe, and freeassociating it to some evil thought or deed...
no kharma is bigger than that

ever meet someone and feel a special tie (good or bad) and that what transpires between you and that other person is in direct relation to some past life event you had together and that as long as there is unfinished business between you and that other perosn, you remain tied in some way/...

Yes


an example would be a person who took the life of another, in the next life that person would feel a need to get some sort of recompence or payback on that oerson, and usually that person would try to correct it, but hte victim would preventit, in order to stay enmeshed...

have you ever been te recipent of some anonymous kind gesture? or receve kind charity from a straner? ever wonder why? that is more of a positive kharmic return than say and act of God. same as something unkind... acts of God arent Kharmic in the way that acts of humans is.
You get deep RTL.....thats why I love you girl!!!!!!
:D
Spirituality is a very deep subject...... much deeper than anything I have read/

User avatar
Christina Marie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9305
Joined: August 11th, 2005, 4:58 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA
Location: CA

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 10th, 2006, 10:17 pm

Christina Marie wrote:
realize the real lies wrote:I dont beleive Kharma is anythign like stubbing my toe, and freeassociating it to some evil thought or deed...
no kharma is bigger than that

ever meet someone and feel a special tie (good or bad) and that what transpires between you and that other person is in direct relation to some past life event you had together and that as long as there is unfinished business between you and that other perosn, you remain tied in some way/...

Yes


an example would be a person who took the life of another, in the next life that person would feel a need to get some sort of recompence or payback on that oerson, and usually that person would try to correct it, but hte victim would preventit, in order to stay enmeshed...

have you ever been te recipent of some anonymous kind gesture? or receve kind charity from a straner? ever wonder why? that is more of a positive kharmic return than say and act of God. same as something unkind... acts of God arent Kharmic in the way that acts of humans is.
You get deep RTL.....thats why I love you girl!!!!!!
I agree. I have had this type of talk with very few people in my life.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1353
Joined: December 12th, 2003, 9:21 am
Location: East London Uk

Unread post by Noog » August 11th, 2006, 4:47 am

The whole gang world is stuck in a Karma circle.

User avatar
Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2631
Joined: January 13th, 2004, 3:54 pm
Location: In your MIND and in your HEART.

Unread post by Common Sense » August 11th, 2006, 10:34 am

I've been mostly successful at keeping vibes around me, trying to keep a cool head, wishing the best for people, and turining the other cheek when I can, but as the years go by, I get a little more worn and slightly less forgiven and a little more irritated. Sometimes it's hard work staying motivated.

User avatar
Christina Marie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9305
Joined: August 11th, 2005, 4:58 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA
Location: CA

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 11th, 2006, 6:25 pm

Common Sense wrote:I've been mostly successful at keeping vibes around me, trying to keep a cool head, wishing the best for people, and turining the other cheek when I can, but as the years go by, I get a little more worn and slightly less forgiven and a little more irritated. Sometimes it's hard work staying motivated.
Everyday minute of everyday I struggle to stay motivated. The only thing that keeps me going sometimes is my son.

User avatar
Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2631
Joined: January 13th, 2004, 3:54 pm
Location: In your MIND and in your HEART.

Unread post by Common Sense » August 15th, 2006, 6:33 pm

Christina Marie wrote:Everyday minute of everyday I struggle to stay motivated. The only thing that keeps me going sometimes is my son.
I was told by many of my female friends that their children changes their lives for the better.

User avatar
Christina Marie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9305
Joined: August 11th, 2005, 4:58 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA
Location: CA

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 15th, 2006, 7:22 pm

Common Sense wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:Everyday minute of everyday I struggle to stay motivated. The only thing that keeps me going sometimes is my son.
I was told by many of my female friends that their children changes their lives for the better.
Most definitely true for me

none for you
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1040
Joined: January 17th, 2006, 11:09 pm
Location: right here at home

Unread post by none for you » August 15th, 2006, 8:49 pm

Christina Marie wrote:
Common Sense wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:Everyday minute of everyday I struggle to stay motivated. The only thing that keeps me going sometimes is my son.
I was told by many of my female friends that their children changes their lives for the better.
Most definitely true for me
thats major part of my story. too.

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1155
Joined: February 21st, 2006, 3:01 am

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » August 15th, 2006, 10:18 pm

Christina Marie wrote:
Common Sense wrote:I've been mostly successful at keeping vibes around me, trying to keep a cool head, wishing the best for people, and turining the other cheek when I can, but as the years go by, I get a little more worn and slightly less forgiven and a little more irritated. Sometimes it's hard work staying motivated.
Everyday minute of everyday I struggle to stay motivated. The only thing that keeps me going sometimes is my son.
Ditto for me. Well not YOUR son, but my daughter. :P

Black Top
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 123
Joined: May 24th, 2005, 8:28 am
Location: VA/28 South

Unread post by Black Top » August 28th, 2006, 9:23 am

means...... everything you do good or bad comes back 360!

User avatar
Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2631
Joined: January 13th, 2004, 3:54 pm
Location: In your MIND and in your HEART.

Unread post by Common Sense » August 28th, 2006, 11:38 am

Black Top wrote:means...... everything you do good or bad comes back 360!
Like this guy: A murderer who was about to get murdered 3x over in San Quentin

The 59-year-old victim was stabbed in the throat, cheek and head and may have suffered severe eye damage. He was taken to a nearby hospital for emergency surgery, and was in stable condition Sunday night, said San Quentin spokesman Lt. Eric Messick.

"It was a definite attempt to murder him, as the three of them did quite a number on him," Messick said.

The victim was from Humboldt County. He has been at San Quentin since 1986, after being convicted of multiple murders while committing a robbery in 1983.

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 5533
Joined: December 7th, 2003, 2:17 pm
Location: s/s riverside
Contact:

Unread post by BlaKK » August 28th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Fuck Karma that shit is voodoo. What happens was just so meant to be. Regardless of what evil deeds you did in the past. You will be Judged by Higher powers, not Karma. That shit only exists because of the peoples own belief in it.

User avatar
Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2631
Joined: January 13th, 2004, 3:54 pm
Location: In your MIND and in your HEART.

Unread post by Common Sense » August 28th, 2006, 3:07 pm

I don't believe it to be of higher powers or sometype of voodoo stuff. To me it's the law of the universe created by your own energy. For example, Let's say your cool and you are doing good things in your community and for people you care about. The energy around you is a positive one, so the people in your life and the people in their life, will be more willing to do go things for you based on your rep. Your name proceeds you. Therefore your hooked up twice as much as opposed to being an ass.

A man who has plenty of dirt in the streets, his name is circulated around those negative energies, which put's he/she in a position to gain enemies. With enemies on your tail, you are more likely to have bad things happen to you, than good.

The guy in San Quetin, because his own negative energy and dirt he did before he was convicted, not is suffering from the same level of violence he put his multiple victims through.

If you are cool, it will be more likely that cool things will happen to you. If you are an ass, it will be more likely that you will be ass-ed out. That's the law of the universe to me......in anut shell.

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 5533
Joined: December 7th, 2003, 2:17 pm
Location: s/s riverside
Contact:

Unread post by BlaKK » August 28th, 2006, 3:09 pm

What energy do you speak of? What is this energy the human body emits? Enlighten me...

User avatar
Christina Marie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9305
Joined: August 11th, 2005, 4:58 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA
Location: CA

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 28th, 2006, 4:24 pm

BlaKK wrote:What energy do you speak of? What is this energy the human body emits? Enlighten me...
Every living thing has its own electromagnetic energy (thus auras).

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 5533
Joined: December 7th, 2003, 2:17 pm
Location: s/s riverside
Contact:

Unread post by BlaKK » August 28th, 2006, 4:32 pm

But useless person, how does this energy decipher good deeds from evil deeds, Righteous from wicked? And by what absolute? Since when did the universe manifest its own Law? What Law? written by whom? This is making no logical sense at all. Elaborate and clarify.

User avatar
Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2631
Joined: January 13th, 2004, 3:54 pm
Location: In your MIND and in your HEART.

Unread post by Common Sense » August 28th, 2006, 4:44 pm

BlaKK wrote:What energy do you speak of? What is this energy the human body emits? Enlighten me...
The energy I'm familiar with is called.... a vibe. Have you ever met someone that you get a good vibe from? Have you ever met someone that you got a bad vibe from? I meet both all the time.

Some people carry so much chaos in their lives it reeks out of their pores. They may have a bad attitude when they shouldn't. Their mannerisim, posture, and facial expressions may be uncomfortable to be around. All of these physical traits can be extensions of inner turmoil and negative energy. I rather not give the time of day to these individuals. Their bad/negative vibes dont add to my life. It only subtracts what good feelings I may be experiencing during that moment.

Life (to me) is about enjoying your existence. You can't enjoy your life as much when someone is constantly raining on your parade.

It doesn't pay to be an ass in the long run. They are not truly respected. Most people cannot stand an asshole. They may temporarily appease you, but that's only to give you what you want, so you can shut up, and to get you on your way.

Some people sabotage these individuals (ass's) behind the scene because of their resentment. All of this constitutes part of being negative energy.

User avatar
Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2631
Joined: January 13th, 2004, 3:54 pm
Location: In your MIND and in your HEART.

Unread post by Common Sense » November 26th, 2007, 9:59 pm

BlaKK wrote:fu-- Karma that shit is voodoo. What happens was just so meant to be.
Interesting. I haven't seen him around lately. Hope he didn't get caught up with bad karma.

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 715
Joined: March 7th, 2007, 11:32 pm

Unread post by justice league » November 27th, 2007, 1:09 am

Common Sense wrote:
BlaKK wrote:fu-- Karma that shit is voodoo. What happens was just so meant to be.
Interesting. I haven't seen him around lately. Hope he didn't get caught up with bad karma.

as a matter of fact.........

User avatar
Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2631
Joined: January 13th, 2004, 3:54 pm
Location: In your MIND and in your HEART.

Unread post by Common Sense » December 22nd, 2007, 7:59 pm

Two Thousand Eight is right upon us. A good time to reflect on 2007 and how your life can improve a notch or two for the new ykear. Keep in mind, we get back what we put out into the universe, sometimes 10 fold. Keep the energy positive, meet positive people, do something good for someone else, and try to forgive a fool or two. Kharma... a mysterious energy.

User avatar
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
Posts: 9020
Joined: May 12th, 2003, 7:56 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Unread post by alexalonso » December 24th, 2007, 3:59 am

In the scriptures it states, "you reap what you sow" - thats what I believe. thats real.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 6525
Joined: January 17th, 2005, 10:48 am
Country: Germany
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin
Location: Overseas

Re: Kharma: What does it mean to you?

Unread post by Sentenza » December 24th, 2007, 8:32 am

Common Sense wrote:What it means to me: You get back what you put out into the universe. "What goes around comes around type of thing". It could be good or extremely evil. If you are cool with people and respectful, people tend to be that way back to you. Those who trip on people, get tripped on back. So in a wierd way, we can somewhat choose our destiny. What do I want for myself? Maybe the first step is, let me be cool to people.

Wikipedia has an interesting definition and little bit about it's origins.

The Theory of Karma
Karma literally means action. We first take an intent and follow it up with action in the form of thought, speaking to others, planning and execution.

According to the Theory of Karma - every action taken to achieve a result or profit (fruit of action) leaves a trace or a karmic residue behind it. It is this residue that keeps accumulating and takes away one's well-being and freedom. Only a person who acts to produce results without worrying about profit (Nishkama Karma or Niskarma) does not accumulate such a Karmic residue. Such action normally comes from love or pure passion.

More on this here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kharma
Which leads me to the conclusion that different philosophies from all around the world come to the same conclusions without knowing about each other. I get the feeling that there is a higher truth.

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 571
Joined: December 1st, 2005, 3:30 pm

Unread post by ManifestTruth » January 3rd, 2008, 5:23 pm

Good stuff here from all. I have a question:

If an individual does right by his surrounding ecology but wrong by his/her fellow human beings(or vice versa), is karma
still a factor in his/her dash(dash=equals from birth to expiration, ex 1941-2005)? This is purely hypertheory so please approach with clarity and intellect.

User avatar
Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2631
Joined: January 13th, 2004, 3:54 pm
Location: In your MIND and in your HEART.

Unread post by Common Sense » January 9th, 2008, 6:53 am

ManifestTruth wrote:Good stuff here from all. I have a question:

If an individual does right by his surrounding ecology but wrong by his/her fellow human beings(or vice versa), is karma
still a factor in his/her dash(dash=equals from birth to expiration, ex 1941-2005)? This is purely hypertheory so please approach with clarity and intellect.
I'm not sure if I understand the question, but here is what I believe. Doing right by your natural enviroment (ecology) is very broad and general. Do we mean save the planet, conservation, etc, sure that would all have good long term effects. If we do wrong by our fellow human beings sure kharma is a factor. Human beings are dependent upon one another. You can only go so far by screwing people over. The ripple effect is bound to happen.

Post Reply

Return to “Religious Thought”