HOLY HIP HOP

Religion is probably the biggest divider in world history, but for those that believe in God it is central to our existence. Share your views.
Post Reply

User avatar
LEATHAFACE
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 153
Joined: February 6th, 2004, 12:26 pm
Location: SOUTH CENTRAL L.A.
Contact:

Unread post by LEATHAFACE » February 4th, 2007, 4:46 pm

DONN'T JUST VIEW ONE VIEW ALL AND THEN LET ME KNOW WHAT YA'LL THINK

User avatar
LEATHAFACE
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 153
Joined: February 6th, 2004, 12:26 pm
Location: SOUTH CENTRAL L.A.
Contact:

Unread post by LEATHAFACE » February 4th, 2007, 8:42 pm

IF YA'LL AIN'T SCARED!

worldwide
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 327
Joined: January 17th, 2004, 9:47 am
Location: u know the name

Unread post by worldwide » April 9th, 2007, 5:08 am

hip hop has no place in the church! no matter what the message it is saying that bringing worldliness into GODs house, it is of the world
GOD doesnt need the world to effect the world, this is the same acceptance, that accepted an openly gay priest into the pulpit, no!!!

hip hop is not of GOD

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 9th, 2007, 7:57 am

^
Psalms 150:3-6

3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
praise him with the harp and lyre,

4 praise him with tambourine and dancing,
praise him with the strings and flute,

5 praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals.

6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.


with that being said, no one can say "this style of music has no place here."

However, I still think some of the stuff going on in some outreach churches is watered down for the sake of appeal. No matter what the style of music is, keep the message strong!

User avatar
king phoenix
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 120
Joined: February 20th, 2007, 8:07 pm

Unread post by king phoenix » April 9th, 2007, 10:44 am

worldwide wrote:hip hop has no place in the church! no matter what the message it is saying that bringing worldliness into GODs house, it is of the world
GOD doesnt need the world to effect the world, this is the same acceptance, that accepted an openly gay priest into the pulpit, no!!!

hip hop is not of GOD


i was just wondering if God actually speaks to you and tells you how he feels about hip hop, or if your just taking it upon yourself to know what god likes?

Y.G.
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2201
Joined: August 6th, 2003, 1:12 am

Unread post by Y.G. » April 11th, 2007, 6:57 am

MiChuhSuh wrote:^
Psalms 150:3-6

3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
praise him with the harp and lyre,

4 praise him with tambourine and dancing,
praise him with the strings and flute,

5 praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals.

6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.


with that being said, no one can say "this style of music has no place here."

However, I still think some of the stuff going on in some outreach churches is watered down for the sake of appeal. No matter what the style of music is, keep the message strong!



I FEEL YOU ON THAT.

User avatar
LEATHAFACE
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 153
Joined: February 6th, 2004, 12:26 pm
Location: SOUTH CENTRAL L.A.
Contact:

Unread post by LEATHAFACE » April 20th, 2007, 10:30 am


worldwide
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 327
Joined: January 17th, 2004, 9:47 am
Location: u know the name

Unread post by worldwide » April 21st, 2007, 11:13 am

[quote]i was just wondering if God actually speaks to you and tells you how he feels about hip hop, or if your just taking it upon yourself to know what god likes

i'm taking it upon myself to "learn" what GOD likes and dislikes.

what i do know is thats like offering strange fire to GOD.

church is the last resort for some people who've lost all hope, i mean imagine somebody on the verge of suicide, or ready to kill they whole family and they just need a word from GOD coming to your church, an they walk in the door and see somebody up there rappin, they gone turn right around and walk out. thats not saving nobody's soul.


lucifer who used to minister before GODs throne was so beautiful, his robe was adorned with precious stones and everytime he took a step heavenly music sent praises to GOD.

now look at him!


look, heaven is church 24/ever. i cant really picture nobody rapping before the throne of GOD
i just aint seeing that. "aint know flesh in heaven"

there are some churches that allow it to go on, probably because their led by a false prophet.

Aquafresh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 448
Joined: December 20th, 2005, 2:57 pm
What city do you live in now?: Oak Cliff
Location: N.E.R.D. Land, Texas (Oak Cliff)
Contact:

Unread post by Aquafresh » April 21st, 2007, 4:18 pm

Worlwide, I want you to try to remember your statement, when we are in Heaven.... I'll be the spirit getting CRUNK before His throne.

Jesus & I will buss a flow right in front of you. :lol:

It doesn't matter what style your praise is in, IMHO; just as long as it's sincere.....

worldwide
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 327
Joined: January 17th, 2004, 9:47 am
Location: u know the name

Unread post by worldwide » April 22nd, 2007, 12:17 am

[quote]Worlwide, I want you to try to remember your statement, when we are in Heaven.... I'll be the spirit getting CRUNK before His throne.

Jesus & I will buss a flow right in front of you.

It doesn't matter what style your praise is in, IMHO; just as long as it's sincere.....


Leviticus 10 KJV
1And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, "which he commanded them not".

2And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.

Romans 12:2 (Amplified Bible)
Amplified Bible (AMP)

2Do not be conformed to this world (this age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you].

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 22nd, 2007, 9:23 am

worldwide wrote:Romans 12:2 (Amplified Bible)
Amplified Bible (AMP)

2Do not be conformed to this world (this age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you].
Oh, I see you got and ""Amplified"" Bible?
Revelation 22:18
18I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. 19And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.
(NIV)

We can go all day with this

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 22nd, 2007, 11:02 am

worldwide wrote:
Leviticus 10 KJV
1And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, "which he commanded them not".

2And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.
I think that's the key here, they were specifically told which fire to use/offer and they disobeyed. On the other hand, we are told in Psalms to praise God will music, with no mention of a style!

Hip hop is one of the most diverse genres because the production can be inspired by everyone from Frank Sinatra (Nas's Unforgettable) to George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars (many, many songs from their old beats).

Meaning that when the psalmist says:
3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
praise him with the harp and lyre,

4 praise him with tambourine and dancing,
praise him with the strings and flute,

5 praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals.

6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.
who is to say that these instruments could not be used in hip hop?
Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.
Different things reach different people. I understand what you mean since so much egocentrism, materialism, and ignorance are associated with rap and hip hop, but hip hop in and of itself is not the culprit, it is the artist behind the music who is to blame. Maybe some kid will hear a true praise for God in a hip hop song and be touched by it.

But I definitely see a lot of weakness and worldliness in "holy hip hop." Holy means set apart for God, so when a so-called holy hip hop artist writes "neutral" songs and praises himself in between verses, I definitely see a problem. And when people care more about the musical quality over the message I see a problem. As I've said, if hip hop is only the medium, then keep your focus right.

worldwide
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 327
Joined: January 17th, 2004, 9:47 am
Location: u know the name

Unread post by worldwide » April 22nd, 2007, 1:01 pm

YES AND NO!

I USE THE AMPLIFIED BECAUSE IT BREAKS IT DOWN EVEN FURTHER THAN THE NIV, I REFER TO THE NIV AT TIMES, BUT RELY MORE SO ON THE KJV AND THE AMPLIFIED.

BUT TO EACH HIS OWN I'M NOT CONDEMING HIP-HOP (IN THE WORLD) NOR AM I CONDONING IT(IN THE CHURCH)

JUST FROM WHAT I'VE BEEN TAUGHT, BACKED WITH SCRIPTURE!

PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS DO WHAT THEY DO AND BELIEVE WHAT THEY BELIEVE NO MATTER.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 22nd, 2007, 4:31 pm

yes, to each his own...

by the way, thsi is kind of off topic, but try looking at the NIV Study Bible. They have footnotes on the bottom half of each page which show the translators', historians', and other scholars' remarks about the original text and context of some of the hard-to-translate words and phrases. Plus I like their honesty (at some points they even remarked that different scrolls they found differed and noted how that affects translation and interpretation.)

worldwide
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 327
Joined: January 17th, 2004, 9:47 am
Location: u know the name

Unread post by worldwide » April 23rd, 2007, 9:51 am

yeah im aware of that, we mostly use it in sunday school open forum type, but during service it's mostly
KJV, then amplified to really get down to the meaning of a scripture.

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2900
Joined: July 4th, 2006, 4:15 pm
Location: Africa
Contact:

Unread post by Mcminister » April 23rd, 2007, 3:24 pm

gospel rap music has some rappers with some dope lyrics....that fightin temptation movie had some dude with the braids there from the pin he had some dope ass rymes

i use to hate on them thinkin they soft but they good

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 23rd, 2007, 7:57 pm

worldwide wrote:yeah im aware of that, we mostly use it in sunday school open forum type, but during service it's mostly
KJV, then amplified to really get down to the meaning of a scripture.
I don't really like the KJV, there's politics in that - plus the fact that some of the translations are slightly arbitrary. For example, translating "Lilith" (a Mesopotamian legend/demon) as a "screech owl" since at the time a screech owl was associated with some Roman monster/demon, is a reference that is lost on most people. I would prefer to see a work that leaves the name Lilith and footnotes it as nearly untranslatable and explains the situation. But even the NIV Study doesn't do that for Lilith, only a few words.

And just small stuff like:

"And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden." (Genesis 4:16, King James Version)
This passage is generally recognized as a mistranslation; "Nod" (נוד) is the Hebrew root of the verb "to wander" (לנדוד). The simplest interpretation of Genesis 4:16 is that Cain was cursed to wander the land forever, not that he was exiled to a "Land of Wanderers", otherwise absent from the Old Testament.
The NJKV is okaythough, so is NASB which some historians like.

BxxMILITIA
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1417
Joined: August 9th, 2006, 7:52 pm
Location: BOOGIE DOWN BRONX

Unread post by BxxMILITIA » April 24th, 2007, 8:25 pm

im sorry, but i cant imagine myself gettin "CRUNK" in a church :lol: ...my moms would smack the shit out me...lol @ the lil white kids gettin KRUNK...

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 25th, 2007, 7:58 am

MiChuhSuh wrote:Hip hop is one of the most diverse genres because the production can be inspired by everyone from Frank Sinatra (Nas's Unforgettable) to George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars (many, many songs from their old beats).
My bad, that was Nat King Cole. But the point remains

User avatar
king phoenix
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 120
Joined: February 20th, 2007, 8:07 pm

Unread post by king phoenix » April 26th, 2007, 4:54 pm

seriously dont you think that the king of all king Jehovah himself can read hearts? and if he can then wouldnt he know when some one is sincere? so i dont think anyone besides god almighty should worry about how he is praised!

User avatar
LEATHAFACE
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 153
Joined: February 6th, 2004, 12:26 pm
Location: SOUTH CENTRAL L.A.
Contact:

Unread post by LEATHAFACE » April 26th, 2007, 7:35 pm

^I AGREE 100%

Brown Street
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 94
Joined: October 10th, 2006, 1:34 am
Location: NW Illinois

Unread post by Brown Street » August 21st, 2007, 7:48 pm

In the 1960's, after Vatican II, the Roman Catholics used "guitar masses" to "attract the youth" . . . many Pentecostal Churches (one I know of particularly in Rockford, IL) have sound systems worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, and "music directors" (the guy who leads the "country rock church band") that earn $50,000 a year to help "attract the youth" . . .now we have churches using hip-hop to "attract the youth" . . . in short, many churches use many currently popular muscial fads to "attract the youth" . . . what these churches and their leaders fail to understand is that the "youth" are generally NOT a bunch of dumbasses-they can tell when they are being "fooled"! Beacause the Catholics in the 60's, of course, did not want their youth running after the genuine current fiolk music the guitar masses were parodying-not the folk music that talked about revolution-sexual as well as political, religious, and generational . . . NO Pentecostals want their youth running after the idols of rock and country music-sex, drugs, money, status . . . and NO church wants their youth to become really interested in genuine hip-hop, with much the same interests as rock and country-sex, drugs, liquor, money, -oh, and violence. If these churches would teach the youth about GOD, instead of trying to subvert people through watered down popular fads and trends, maybe they would have more success with their youth.

"Holy Hip-Hop" can have another side, too-how many times have you seen a hip-hop artist who you KNOW is a drug user, a criminal, a thug, who screws whatever walks, goin onstage after he or she wins an award and gets it on with the "I want to thank God bla bla bla . . . " What? For your success in criminal endeavours? That you got a hold of some bomb ass dope last night? Or that the bitch you was with last night had a big ole booty?

Now, before everybody gets all offended and hot and bothered and nasty and all that, I AINT SAYIN this is a portrait of EVERY hip-hop artist-but there are some out there, no? Also-I am not sayin rock and country singers dont do the exact same thing-they do!

TarHeelRED
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 873
Joined: July 3rd, 2004, 8:00 pm
Country: Israel
If in the United States: North Carolina
What city do you live in now?: New Jerusalem
Location: SPRING LAKE, NC
Contact:

Re:

Unread post by TarHeelRED » October 31st, 2008, 1:45 am

MiChuhSuh wrote:
worldwide wrote:yeah im aware of that, we mostly use it in sunday school open forum type, but during service it's mostly
KJV, then amplified to really get down to the meaning of a scripture.
I don't really like the KJV, there's politics in that - plus the fact that some of the translations are slightly arbitrary. For example, translating "Lilith" (a Mesopotamian legend/demon) as a "screech owl" since at the time a screech owl was associated with some Roman monster/demon, is a reference that is lost on most people. I would prefer to see a work that leaves the name Lilith and footnotes it as nearly untranslatable and explains the situation. But even the NIV Study doesn't do that for Lilith, only a few words.

And just small stuff like:

"And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden." (Genesis 4:16, King James Version)
This passage is generally recognized as a mistranslation; "Nod" (נוד) is the Hebrew root of the verb "to wander" (לנדוד). The simplest interpretation of Genesis 4:16 is that Cain was cursed to wander the land forever, not that he was exiled to a "Land of Wanderers", otherwise absent from the Old Testament.
The NJKV is okaythough, so is NASB which some historians like.
Check this link out: http://www.biblelineministries.org/arti ... HE+SCRIBES
These modern day translations of the Bible aren't worth the paper that their printed on.

SouljahGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 624
Joined: November 4th, 2008, 1:58 pm
What city do you live in now?: LA

Re:

Unread post by SouljahGirl » November 5th, 2008, 5:56 pm

worldwide wrote:hip hop has no place in the church! no matter what the message it is saying that bringing worldliness into GODs house, it is of the world
GOD doesnt need the world to effect the world, this is the same acceptance, that accepted an openly gay priest into the pulpit, no!!!

hip hop is not of GOD
Hold Up!! How DARE you make a statment like that and then compare Music to homosexuality.. The world clearly states in Leviticus 19 that Man shall not lay with man as he does woman..

Where does it say anything about how WE praise.AND WITH WHAT FORM OF MUSIC WE GET THE MESSAGE ACROSS..

Look, all music belongs to God.. Yeshua is just taking HIP HOP back... Get over it!!.

Post Reply

Return to “Religious Thought”