EmperorPenguin wrote:I hate bringing up old topics but I just watched the movie Eastern Promises. One of the aspects of the plot revolves around Russian prison tattoo's. Very interesting. I know they did some extensive research for the movie, it might not be dead on but they got a good portion of the meaning of the tattoo's down. Very good movie.
i jus saw the movie also. i wonder if its tru that the stars mean ur like a made man of the russian mafia? i wonder if this is tru. one of my favorite MMA fighters, aleksander emelianenko got alotta russian prison tattoos, including the stars. i wonder if he a made man.
Taken from Fedor's website, an interview with Aleksander.
- My next question may appear tactless but still our forum is overloaded with questions as for when and where you made your tattoos and if they correspond to fact. Can you tell us about it?
- Honestly speaking I don’t know what to say. All tattoos were made at different time and by different people. As for meanings every tattoo has its own location and accordance . I can just say what they denote for those who are unaware. For example, there is a cathedral with five domes on my right hand and each dome denotes one year of imprisonment. The stars on the shoulders symbolize honesty and dignity of a person who lives according to his principles. There is Mother of God on my back.
- What does it denote?
- Absolutely nothing. I just liked the picture, originally done. The stars on my knees “say” “I will never kneel”. The tattoo “Pirate” denotes an article from criminal code concerning robbery. I hope the sign in Latin ” Good luck follows the brave“ doesn’t need any comments. There are words in German “God with us” on my back. For me it is a symbol of revival so to say. There is a inscription on my left shoulder in Russian, those who are interested may examine it on the photos. Below my elbow there is half a head of a cat, half scull. It may be interpreted as “Homo homini lupus est”. This saying is one of life principles. On my shoulder there is a net.
- Speaking about this net. There are questions in the forum if it denotes your connection with mafia, maybe your victories are unfair.
- No, this net has another meaning. It has nothing in common with mafia. My achievements and victories are result of hard work, not only mine but also of my coaches. As I’ve already mentioned they are Vladimir Voronov and Alexander Michkov. And my brother surely contributed to it.
Take it for what it's worth and I doubt Aleks would admit to Mafia connections on his brothers site but chances are he's a part of the Russian Mafia to some extent.