First tagger in LA?

From tagging to piecing to gang graffiti to clothing styles to the art of tattoos.
junior23lbc

Unread post by junior23lbc » September 6th, 2006, 11:47 am

chaka wrote all over the states

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » September 8th, 2006, 3:57 am

Chaka, and hobo I know of. Chaka was all city.

BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » September 8th, 2006, 9:24 am

From what I heard, Alski wasn't the 1st writer out in LA...

Maybe we should come up with the name of a TRUE LA ORIGINAL WRITER...not an out of town transplant.

Who would that be?

tecate
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by tecate » December 5th, 2006, 5:06 pm

Big CHAZ N.E.L.A

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » May 25th, 2007, 5:31 pm

BIG DUSTY LOCO wrote:From what I heard, Alski wasn't the 1st writer out in LA...

Maybe we should come up with the name of a TRUE LA ORIGINAL WRITER...not an out of town transplant.

Who would that be?
onr thing people were doing back then were taking lots of photos, so if you know of some pure Hip Hop style taggers that were writing, lets say 1981 -1982 in
Los Angeles, please post those fotos or at least there names to where we can google their names and find some info on those cats. I do know that there have always been non-gang related wall writers in Los Angeles, but there were not out of the Hip Hop tradition. If I am wrong, where were they and lets see some flikas.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Re: First tagger in LA?

Unread post by alexalonso » May 25th, 2007, 5:36 pm

CHICO-NEX wrote:Hey,what's up everybody?These are the tagger's that I know of,when i used to tag(NEX).NEX,PRICE(SIZE),ELER,TRIAX,DREW,SAME,SLEEZE,GEO,CHASE,PRIME,TOMCAT,MIKE,CHICAGO,WISK,MINER,GIN,METRO,RASE,ORION,ROB-ONE,SKATE,MAZE,HEX,KEX,SKEPT,CEPT,MEC,SER,CHAKA,GREEN,RISK,PJAY,BLIZZ,IMAGE,STEVER,DRIP,SMURF,2DEV,BUG29,KASS. NEX-OTR!
of that list I personally knew/know Geo (rip), prime, wisk, miner, skept, and risk. I always used to see Triax. He used to sign his names with two dots. Any one remember that? I never met Triax and i never met Chaka either.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » May 26th, 2007, 2:01 pm

Hip Hop graffitti in L.A. as a SCENE started in early '84. Early crews in the UNI high are were Artists After Dark, The Bomb Squad, Insanity Crew, Freak City Bombing Crew and a few others. The first people to bomb Uni in spring '84 were Blitz and Crazy J who were both white boys from the Bomb Squad crew. Then Sham and Freeze, also TBS. After that the school got hit by a lot of different writers and the graff scene was up and going strong.

WIP
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WIP » May 26th, 2007, 11:32 pm

Slick Risk Dante those are my hermanos for real

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » June 6th, 2007, 8:56 pm

Silencioso wrote:Hip Hop graffitti in L.A. as a SCENE started in early '84. Early crews in the UNI high are were Artists After Dark, The Bomb Squad, Insanity Crew, Freak City Bombing Crew and a few others. The first people to bomb Uni in spring '84 were Blitz and Crazy J who were both white boys from the Bomb Squad crew. Then Sham and Freeze, also TBS. After that the school got hit by a lot of different writers and the graff scene was up and going strong.
I agree, about early 1984, or even late 1983 when I was seeing Davism, but some people on this forum that there were guys doing hip hop style tagging in 1982 and earlier. I never heard of that but if they exist I would like to know, but early 1984 is when it really got poppin.

WIP
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WIP » June 7th, 2007, 11:21 am

The crazyest hit has got to be when SEEN from the Bronx came out and bombed that Hollywood side back in 85.

WIP
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

video

Unread post by WIP » June 7th, 2007, 11:28 am

Sign

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » June 9th, 2007, 1:13 pm

Alonso,

In my neighborhood there were a couple of guys that were tagging briefly in late '82. Their tags were Hobo and Slash. HBO had a documentary about the subway art scene around that time, they thought it was cool and imitated what they saw. The pieces they did were basically throw-ups without any fill-in color. They were OK. Nobody paid much attention, really. A year later, Wild Style came out, break dancing got huge and things got hopping for real.

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » June 9th, 2007, 1:30 pm

I can remember some tagging even in areas like Buena Park and Fullerton (FTT for example) even back into the early seventies. But I agree that it didn't really get going until the East Coast scene popularized it. West Coast got going in the early 80's.

andrew
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by andrew » June 11th, 2007, 1:43 am

Silencioso wrote:Alonso,

In my neighborhood there were a couple of guys that were tagging briefly in late '82. Their tags were Hobo and Slash. HBO had a documentary about the subway art scene around that time, they thought it was cool and imitated what they saw. The pieces they did were basically throw-ups without any fill-in color. They were OK. Nobody paid much attention, really. A year later, Wild Style came out, break dancing got huge and things got hopping for real.
haha.....i remember '82 style graffiti.......the gang style back then was corny as hell and the b-boy shi was all bubble letters

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » June 11th, 2007, 4:27 am

:lol: I loved graf as a little youth - and was inspired the same way - I did bigger pieces (not for years and years now though), things like 'buy, eat, consume, die' in wildstyle across a shopping centre, or 'blues' on a wall outside the unemployment offices......loved it.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » June 12th, 2007, 12:46 am

does anyone have any 1982 or even 1983 pics from LA?

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » March 18th, 2012, 1:02 pm

Does any remember Soon & Legit. They were probably the first bombers in LA, especially SOON. I met them back in 1983 / 84. I even have a photo of Legit's bedroom and I have a bunch of old SOON bombs from 84 and 85. I heard that Legit died but SOON is still around.

Also there was a guy named CHAZZ from the 1970s. I wouldnt call him a tagger but he used to hit up the city back then.

xxx
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by xxx » March 18th, 2012, 5:19 pm

Soon & Legit are alive in Atlanta ....

Soon claims he was the first to do it in L.A.

He landed here in late 82.

AztecNinja
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: San Gabriel

Unread post by AztecNinja » June 7th, 2012, 9:16 pm

I see alot of names that take me back to my tagging days, a little off topic but wheres the love for Skez,Same,Geso,Iggy,Mando,Panic,125,Angst,Pryer and Cab who is the first to hit the "heavens". I read the book Mexican Mafia the other day and they put together a chart of PeeWee and his soldiers from Aves. It tripped me out cause I grew up with half those dudes and we were all from the same tagging crew. When BSK became a click off HLP they brought them back from the dead, but alot of people dont know the 8 or so BSK's that got into Aves really put it down aswell.

xxx
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by xxx » June 30th, 2012, 9:10 am

xxx
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by xxx » June 30th, 2012, 9:12 am

THE FIRST TO HIT THE HEAVENS

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re:

Unread post by Silencioso » August 11th, 2012, 12:52 pm

alexalonso wrote:
BIG DUSTY LOCO wrote:From what I heard, Alski wasn't the 1st writer out in LA...

Who would that be?
onr thing people were doing back then were taking lots of photos, so if you know of some pure Hip Hop style taggers that were writing, lets say 1981 -1982 in
Los Angeles, please post those fotos or at least there names to where we can google their names and find some info on those cats. I do know that there have always been non-gang related wall writers in Los Angeles, but there were not out of the Hip Hop tradition. If I am wrong, where were they and lets see some flikas.
I know this is an old post but I'll answer. There were a few people tagging that early. My friend and I were two of those people that were exposed early to hip-hop tagging and did it briefly in '82. HBO showed a short doc. on NY tagging with writers like Dondi and Crash. An art magazine around the same time that I saw at a newstand had an article on the NY scene. It had several full color pieces by Dondi, Crash and Futura. With this basic information we started taggin. He wrote Slash and I wrote Hobo. All our tags were throw-ups without fills. It didn't last long and I don't recall anybody else tagging or even knowing what it was. The following year, the tagging scene in L.A. truly started via the hiphop/rap/break dancing craze.

xxx
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by xxx » August 11th, 2012, 2:37 pm

What was the last name you were writing?

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » August 11th, 2012, 9:35 pm

xxx wrote:What was the last name you were writing?
Sham AKA Sham1500 (1500 was my block number) . Like many taggers I went through a few names before I found the one that worked.

xxx
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by xxx » August 12th, 2012, 4:41 pm

I bought Wisk's book The History of Los Angeles Graffiti and The History of American Graffiti ....are u mentioned in those books?

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » August 15th, 2012, 6:20 pm

xxx wrote:I bought Wisk's book The History of Los Angeles Graffiti and The History of American Graffiti ....are u mentioned in those books?
I doubt it, although I knew that fool.