Pitts, Rotts, Dobermans, shepards...

An open section to speak about anything on your mind from News, politics, Conspiracy Theories, and any random street or urban event.
willihen
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Pitts, Rotts, Dobermans, shepards...

Unread post by willihen » June 16th, 2005, 5:18 pm

anybody breed/have dogs?
views on best breed? toughest? best qualities? pure or mutt.

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » June 17th, 2005, 8:35 am

If you are getting a dog, please do not get one because you want it to be "mean".

I have a German Shepherd Dog. He is a wonderful companion and very protective, but you need to think twice before you spend the money on a dog you want to be tough. Aggressive dogs aren't anything but a liability that you are repsponsible for.

Most "guard dogs" don't get any training other than the owner teaching it to be aggressive. In those cases, the dogs end up being aggressive to almost everyone, even to family members.

Even chaining your dog up in the backyard for long period of time can create aggressive and unwanted behavior in dogs. The goal is for an animal who is protective yet friendly enough to deal with guests.

I'd also be careful with dogs who have had "meaness" bred into them. I believe that the majority of a dog's temperment comes from how it is being treated, but breed have been refined to have certain physical and emotional qualities. I would never have a Dalmation around children, and I'd never own a Dachshund (weiner dog). I know people who swear by those breeds, but in my expereince, they are more than I want to deal with.

The pure breeds all have their genetic problems. In Shepherds, you have to watch out for hip dysplasia and elbow problems because of their stance.

Spay and neuter your dog. You don not want to add to the unwanted animal population and if you get your animal fixed, they will live a longer, healthier life. Don't pretend like you want to breed your dog, because most of the dogs sold as house pets aren't show quality. There is no loss of honor among dogs as far as who has nuts and who doesn't.

I'd suggest staying away from the road-side puppy mills. They have a tendency to overbreed and inbreed. Find a *reputable* dealer. Not every person who puts an ad in the paper knows what he/she is doing. Look at the mother and (if you can) the stud. If you get a dog from a puppy store, they generally come a puppy mill (unless otherwise stated).

Do you have children this dog is going to be around?
What kind of yard do you have?
How much are you willing to spend - on the dog itself and other expenses?
Indoor.outdoor dog? You don't want to keep the dog chained all the time.
Long hair or short hair dog? Shepherds SHED like MAD.
Do you want a puppy or a dog?

I have never bred dogs - we have never had that quality of dog. We have shown dogs before (Irish Setters and Shelties) and I would have to say that if I had to choose a big dog, I'd either go for a Great Dane or a GSD. If I had to go for a smaller dog, I'd get another Sheltie. Out of all the dogs I've had, the Sheltie was the most protective and smartest dog.

But everyone says their breed is the smartest. Except cocker spaniel people. I doubt they can say they have the smartest breed.

I'd suggest going to the local SPCA and see what kind of dogs they have for adoption. There are also rescue programs that have taken dogs from bad situations and are looking for good homes to adopt.

Mutts are generally healthier dogs due to (hopefully) lack on inbreeding.

willihen
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by willihen » June 17th, 2005, 9:13 am

I like labs though. Great people dogs, also good guard dogs.
All around best dog. Best Hunting dogs, hands down.

Dobermans are still the best guard dogs in my opinion.
Rottweilers and German Shepards are close 2nd.

Pits scare the *%#@ outta me!!! friendly or not.

Like all things depends on how theyre the dogs are raised and trained.

willihen
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by willihen » June 17th, 2005, 9:17 am

Anesis,
mutts are good. But I still like Pure bred dogs. Never had any problems.

Everyone got an opinion but
As far as naturally intelligent, I'd go with a Border Collie.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » June 17th, 2005, 9:25 am

i've adopted my dog and will cotinue to in the future. pure breaads are usually $800+ dollars for some. mutts are just as good, cheaper, and in my opinion smarter.

Helms
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Helms » June 17th, 2005, 1:05 pm

I've got two adopted dogs. One's a pointer cross/mutt. She's always stalking squirrels and stuff. Really hyper. Loves to play. Total hunter.

My other one's a great dane. He's amazing. He mostly just sleeps, but he has to be with people all the time. He'll sleep in the same bed as you, on the same couch as you etc. He basically just follows me around all the time. He's really friendly, but if anyone tries to mess with me or my family he goes nuts.

I don't see the point of going to a breeder. Even if you want a purebred there's plenty of rescues out there.

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » June 17th, 2005, 1:25 pm

Helms wrote: I don't see the point of going to a breeder. Even if you want a purebred there's plenty of rescues out there.
Exactly. But, if you are going to go to a breeder, don't go to one one the side of the road that says "PUP'S FER SALE - CHEEP!"

More and more people are rescuing big dogs of all breeds because peoplec an't afford to take care of them, they mistreat them, or they don't have the room for them. My friends have rescued a Great Dane and she is the most lovable thing I have ever seen.

Helms, do Great Danes slobber much? I don't remember. I'd love a big dog, but I don't have the time for them right now. Between my cats and getting ready for my koi fish, I have all the animal work I can handle.

Helms
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Helms » June 20th, 2005, 12:02 pm

They do slobber a bit, but it's not that bad. The worst is right after he has a drink of water, or if he's running/panting. Other than that, not really.

His original owners abused him bad. He was locked in a garage all the time, and half starved when I got him. They used to beat him too. I just don't understand some people.

'MZ

Unread post by 'MZ » July 5th, 2005, 8:32 am

we used to have a pittbull that dog is one of the best dogs you can have, but you have to train him and constant be strickt with him or else he gets dominant and bites and barks to you and stuff like that, but we trained him since he was a puppy and got familiar with friends family that come over. its pretty funny to walk with him because everybody walks with a big walk around you hehehe , but i know someone who also has a pittbul and didnt train it and that is the most badass mut you can ever have he sleeps al the time does what he want bites people and shit, so i say if you have the time and the effort to train him properly get a pittbull if not get an easier dog

Maniac
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Maniac » July 5th, 2005, 6:24 pm

I have a Bull terrier cross kelpie and she is funny, cute and couldn't hurt a thing and she ain't obedient i can tell you that. :)

kaotik_hcp
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kaotik_hcp » July 7th, 2005, 7:27 am

me and my girlfriend have a pit/boxer, her sister has the champion male boxer, and the pit is just a dog that her boyfriend stole when it was young, but she's very protective... if you even act like you are going to hit someone in her presence she will try to take your arm off...

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » December 1st, 2006, 8:51 pm

[quote="Anesis"]If you are getting a dog, please do not get one because you want it to be "mean".

I have a German Shepherd Dog. He is a wonderful companion and very protective, but you need to think twice before you spend the money on a dog you want to be tough. Aggressive dogs aren't anything but a liability that you are repsponsible for.

Most "guard dogs" don't get any training other than the owner teaching it to be aggressive. In those cases, the dogs end up being aggressive to almost everyone, even to family members.

Even chaining your dog up in the backyard for long period of time can create aggressive and unwanted behavior in dogs. The goal is for an animal who is protective yet friendly enough to deal with guests.

I'd also be careful with dogs who have had "meaness" bred into them. I believe that the majority of a dog's temperment comes from how it is being treated, but breed have been refined to have certain physical and emotional qualities. I would never have a Dalmation around children, and I'd never own a Dachshund (weiner dog). I know people who swear by those breeds, but in my expereince, they are more than I want to deal with.

The pure breeds all have their genetic problems. In Shepherds, you have to watch out for hip dysplasia and elbow problems because of their stance.

Spay and neuter your dog. You don not want to add to the unwanted animal population and if you get your animal fixed, they will live a longer, healthier life. Don't pretend like you want to breed your dog, because most of the dogs sold as house pets aren't show quality. There is no loss of honor among dogs as far as who has nuts and who doesn't.

I'd suggest staying away from the road-side puppy mills. They have a tendency to overbreed and inbreed. Find a *reputable* dealer. Not every person who puts an ad in the paper knows what he/she is doing. Look at the mother and (if you can) the stud. If you get a dog from a puppy store, they generally come a puppy mill (unless otherwise stated).

Do you have children this dog is going to be around?
What kind of yard do you have?
How much are you willing to spend - on the dog itself and other expenses?
Indoor.outdoor dog? You don't want to keep the dog chained all the time.
Long hair or short hair dog? Shepherds SHED like MAD.
Do you want a puppy or a dog?

I have never bred dogs - we have never had that quality of dog. We have shown dogs before (Irish Setters and Shelties) and I would have to say that if I had to choose a big dog, I'd either go for a Great Dane or a GSD. If I had to go for a smaller dog, I'd get another Sheltie. Out of all the dogs I've had, the Sheltie was the most protective and smartest dog.

But everyone says their breed is the smartest. Except cocker spaniel people. I doubt they can say they have the smartest breed.

I'd suggest going to the local SPCA and see what kind of dogs they have for adoption. There are also rescue programs that have taken dogs from bad situations and are looking for good homes to adopt.

Mutts are generally healthier dogs due to (hopefully) lack on inbreeding.[/quote]

98% of the time people are getting shephards,rotts,pits,boxers for guard-dogs