Judge Rejects Request To Delay Crips Co-Founder's Execution

There are many that believe California's Prison Rehabilitation System and other systems around the world have more sinister purpose outside of incarceration. Discuss prison topics here in California, throughout the United States and Internationally.
Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » October 24th, 2005, 4:25 pm

A little different version. This article has images/video, link at bottom of page

Williams Will Be Executed Dec. 13

POSTED: 11:33 am PDT October 24, 2005
UPDATED: 12:08 pm PDT October 24, 2005

[img]http://www.photohosting.info/uploads/c9c04468cf.jpg[/img]

LOS ANGELES -- A Los Angeles judge signed a death warrant Monday for convicted killer and Crips co-founder "Tookie" Williams, rejecting his attorneys' request for a nine-day delay in his execution date.

Williams is scheduled to die Dec. 13 at San Quentin prison for four murders committed in 1979. Since being sentenced to die, Williams has written a series of children's books in his effort to curtail youth gang violence.

Since being condemned to death, Williams has renounced his gang past, penned children's books, been the subject of a cable television movie starring Jamie Foxx and was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize in 2000 for work he has done to curtail youth violence -- all from his 9-foot-by-4-foot cell on San Quentin's death row.

Now 51, Williams was 16 when he and a high school friend, Raymond Washington, began the Crips street gang in South Los Angeles in 1971.

Known as "Big Took" to fellow Crips, Williams helped build the gang into a nationwide criminal enterprise that continues to spawn street violence more than 30 years later.

In 1981, he was sentenced to death for the 1979 murders -- which he denies committing and which occurred the same year that Washington was killed during a gang confrontation.

The first victim in the killings, which took place during two separate robberies two weeks apart, was Albert Lewis Owens, a 23-year-old Whittier 7- Eleven employee.

An immunized government witness testified that he, Williams and two other men took $120 from the store's cash register. He said Williams then shot the young man execution-style and mocked the gurgling sounds the victim made as he lay dying.

Williams was also found guilty of the shotgun murders of Thsai-Shai Yang, Yen-I Yang and Yee Chen Lin. The couple and their daughter owned a South Vermont Avenue motel that the gang targeted for robbery.

Williams presented an alibi defense at his trial. Attorneys handling his appeal argued that Los Angeles County prosecutors had engaged in racial discrimination by seeking to keep black people off the jury.

In February, a majority of the judges on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals voted against re-hearing Williams' appeal. And on Oct. 11, the U.S. Supreme Court declined, without comment, to review his case.

The high court's decision cleared the way for Williams' execution by lethal injection -- unless Schwarzenegger intervenes. But no condemned murderer has been granted clemency in California since 1967.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/5162133/detail.html

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » October 24th, 2005, 4:29 pm

Personally, I do not believe in the death penalty. I do not feel that we have the right to take a life, only the man upstairs....it makes us no better than the one we are executing. Thats just my opinion.

Guage12
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Guage12 » October 24th, 2005, 4:50 pm

crstnamre wrote:Personally, I do not believe in the death penalty. I do not feel that we have the right to take a life, only the man upstairs....it makes us no better than the one we are executing. Thats just my opinion.

Yea that's real talk crstnamre....

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » October 24th, 2005, 5:04 pm

crstnamre wrote:Personally, I do not believe in the death penalty. I do not feel that we have the right to take a life, only the man upstairs....it makes us no better than the one we are executing. Thats just my opinion.
To bad this enemy don't feel the way you feel...This enemy thinks he is God....

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » October 24th, 2005, 5:28 pm

X wrote:
To bad this enemy don't feel the way you feel...This enemy thinks he is God....
Whom are you referring to???

leftcoast
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by leftcoast » October 24th, 2005, 5:40 pm

the white man :evil:

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » October 24th, 2005, 6:39 pm

leftcoast wrote:the white man :evil:
I am white.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » October 24th, 2005, 6:43 pm

Guage12 wrote:

Yea that's real talk crstnamre....

TY, its just the way I feel. And I feel that Tookie has done alot of good since he was convicted and there should be some redemption it that. LWOP would be justice, not executing the man.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » October 24th, 2005, 7:52 pm

i have to agree in the death penalty even though it is really fucked up that you tell someone when they will die and carry it ouy. but then think about it, if a person takes a life, we need to punish them severly. we can give them life but everyday they can get up, lift, read, talk, communicate, LIVE, and ect. the person they killed probably for a stupid reason, will never ever do any of those again. its not a fair justice after a person can go and kill all they want.

example is the BTK killer. he should have been shot once he was found guilty, but he can live every day with a bunch of people, talk to him family, NOT BE TORTURED, NOT BE KILLED, and live.

i can't judge this crip guy, but overall if he killed many people, he should probably be executed. but i dont know, maybe he did change, maybe he should be granted his stay or whatever. i dont want to judge.