Australia:Race riots spread from the beach to the suburbs

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Australia:Race riots spread from the beach to the suburbs

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 11th, 2005, 6:57 am

RACIAL violence erupted in several Sydney suburbs last night in retaliation for a rampage by thousands of young residents through Cronulla that turned the seaside suburb into a battlefield.

Political, community and religious leaders joined stunned locals to condemn an afternoon of violence by a crowd that turned on people of Middle Eastern appearance and those trying to protect them, with police and ambulance officers also attacked.

As the violence spread, police cars raced through Sydney streets from Cronulla to Miranda, Brighton-le-Sands, Rockdale, Maroubra, Woolooware and Tempe. Police said they had received reports of firearms being "flashed" threateningly but not discharged. "So far we have had no one shot," an officer said.

A 23-year-old man was in St George Hospital in a serious condition after a fight in Woolooware about 10.25pm. A radio report said he had a knife embedded in his back. Police said the man was with friends when he had an altercation outside a golf club with a "group of males of Mediterranean or Middle Eastern appearance".

In Brighton-le-Sands a group of people were reported to have taken down the Australian flag at the Brighton RSL Club and burnt it in the street. Youths were seen at a garage filling bottles with petrol in nearby Monterey.

Police closed Marine Parade, Maroubra, where people converged in vehicles on the beachfront and began fighting with locals including members of the Bra Boys surf gang. Police said 50 carloads of youths smashed more than 100 vehicles with baseball bats and other weapons. In the same suburb a young girl was punched in the face.

In Rockdale police gathered in riot gear following reports of youths armed with crowbars near the train station after 10pm, a car driver trying to run down a police officer, and items being thrown at police cars in Bay Street, Brighton-le-Sands. The street was blocked off.

Around North Cronulla beach and the surrounding streets, drunk teenagers communicated with each other on walkie-talkies about rumoured sightings of Lebanese gangs.

Commanders from the Bankstown and Campsie patrols were on alert amid fears of outbreaks of violence. Shortly before midnight police received reports of a convoy of up to 40 carloads of youths heading from Punchbowl Oval to the eastern suburbs.

At least 13 people were injured during the earlier violence in Cronulla - including five police - and 12 people had been arrested last night.

The Premier, Morris Iemma, led a chorus of condemnation of the Cronulla attacks. "These hooligans have brought shame upon themselves," he said. "Some today tried to hide behind the Australian flag. The Australia that I know, and intend to preserve as Premier, does not support the sort of behaviour that we saw today."

The Police Commissioner, Ken Moroney, said the rioters - many of them carrying the flag and even singing the anthem - were "clearly un-Australian". "I'm ashamed as a man and as the Commissioner of Police," he said. "Never have I seen a mob turn like they have today, particularly on … women and … the NSW Ambulance Service. That has brought a higher level of shame to those involved."

There had "clearly … been a level of racial vilification … and those who are found to behave this way will be prosecuted".

One bashing victim, 19-year-old Mustafa, said at Sutherland Hospital: "They threw bottles, broken bottles, food, anything they could get their hands on. And what were we doing? We were there for a swim."

Another victim, who gave his name only as Moot, said: "We are going to have the last laugh. I got beaten up by 50 people. I am half Lebanese, part-Aboriginal. I am more Australian than the Anglos."

The Assistant Commissioner, Mark Goodwin, who co-ordinated the riot response, said a taskforce would review video footage.

The violence followed a week of simmering tension after an attack the previous Sunday on two lifesavers. Appeals by text message for "Aussies" to descend on the beach to reclaim it drew a crowd estimated at 5000 people, but a carnival atmosphere in the morning gave way to an ugly mood as a hard core of about 200 turned violent. Thousands chanted them on.

The trouble began with scuffles about midday. As the crowd moved along the beach and foreshore area, a man on the back of a utility began to shout "No more Lebs" - a chant picked up by the group around him. Others in the crowd yelled "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie … Oi, Oi, Oi". Members of the mob set upon their prey with fists, feet, flags and beer bottles. Two paramedics were injured as they tried to get victims out of the North Cronulla Surf Life Saving Club, where they had fled to escape the rioters. One of the women had fled into the clubhouse for safety after her headscarf was ripped off.

The crowd broke the windows of the ambulance and kicked its doors as the officers attempted to get the group out. Police, who used capsicum spray and batons in their battle to quell the rioters, were also pelted with beer bottles, and in some cases their cars were swamped and stomped on as they tried to move from one violent flare-up to the next. They sometimes appeared powerless to keep up with the moving mob.

An 18-year-old man who had ventured to the beach for a dip just before 11am was the first to be targeted. He was chased by 200 people to the Northies Hotel, where 20 bouncers joined police in holding back a crowd that swelled to several thousand.

Many people were drinking in a nearby park - some clearly underage. Late yesterday hotels and bottle shops agreed to stop takeaway alcohol sales.

One man was taken by police into Northies, which became a "safe haven". Police also set up a safe house in the North Cronulla clubhouse.

About 7.30pm a young man of Lebanese appearance, arms held out imploringly, sprinted south on a footpath towards the protective shield of the police stationed at Cronulla Beach, hotly pursued by a drunken mob numbering hundreds. He outran the mob and was saved by police, who placed him in the back of a police van, which was then surrounded by the mob.

As the van drove away, one young Caucasian girl laughed and said to a male companion: "That was sick. I've never seen a dumb Leb run so fast. How good was that?"

Earlier a man was cornered in Mitchell Street and had several bottles smashed over his head while he was punched and kicked by dozens of screaming people.

He had been walking with two other men when he was hit by a young man draped in the Australian flag. A bystander tried to stop the assault, saying "He's not a Leb, he's not a Leb".

A lone policeman came to his aid, spraying a canister of capsicum spray to try to disperse the crowd until more support arrived.

Many shopkeepers closed their doors as the crowd converged on Cronulla station. Two men who had just stepped off a train were bashed by about 50 people after they were forced against the carriage. Police said the invasion of the station appeared to have been prompted by a bogus text message saying a trainload of people was due to arrive from Bankstown.

Sarah Id, 17, and her sister Amy, 15, from Sutherland, who were both born in the area and whose parents are Lebanese immigrants, found themselves under the protection of police and transit security guards as they waited for their train while 1000 people stood opposite. The pair had gone to Cronulla Beach, as they had done most weekends as children, "just to get a tan".

"We had to get out because everyone was telling us to go home. Both girls and guys were shouting at us and a woman told us to watch our backs," Sarah said.

"They were saying, 'You don't belong here'. We were born here and went to Jannali High."

Neither the Prime Minister nor the federal Opposition Leader wanted to comment last night.

The Premier, Morris Iemma, led a chorus of condemnation of the Cronulla attacks. "These hooligans have brought shame upon themselves," he said. "Some today tried to hide behind the Australian flag. The Australia that I know, and intend to preserve as Premier, does not support the sort of behaviour that we saw today."

The Police Commissioner, Ken Moroney, said the rioters - many of them carrying the flag and even singing the anthem - were "clearly un-Australian". "I'm ashamed as a man and as the Commissioner of Police," he said. "Never have I seen a mob turn like they have today, particularly on … women and … the NSW Ambulance Service. That has brought a higher level of shame to those involved."

There had "clearly … been a level of racial vilification … and those who are found to behave this way will be prosecuted".

One bashing victim, 19-year-old Mustafa, said at Sutherland Hospital: "They threw bottles, broken bottles, food, anything they could get their hands on. And what were we doing? We were there for a swim."

Another victim, who gave his name only as Moot, said: "We are going to have the last laugh. I got beaten up by 50 people. I am half Lebanese, part-Aboriginal. I am more Australian than the Anglos."

The Assistant Commissioner, Mark Goodwin, who co-ordinated the riot response, said a taskforce would review video footage.

The violence followed a week of simmering tension after an attack the previous Sunday on two lifesavers. Appeals by text message for "Aussies" to descend on the beach to reclaim it drew a crowd estimated at 5000 people, but a carnival atmosphere in the morning gave way to an ugly mood as a hard core of about 200 turned violent. Thousands chanted them on.

The trouble began with scuffles about midday. As the crowd moved along the beach and foreshore area, a man on the back of a utility began to shout "No more Lebs" - a chant picked up by the group around him. Others in the crowd yelled "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie … Oi, Oi, Oi". Members of the mob set upon their prey with fists, feet, flags and beer bottles. Two paramedics were injured as they tried to get victims out of the North Cronulla Surf Life Saving Club, where they had fled to escape the rioters. One of the women had fled into the clubhouse for safety after her headscarf was ripped off.

The crowd broke the windows of the ambulance and kicked its doors as the officers attempted to get the group out. Police, who used capsicum spray and batons in their battle to quell the rioters, were also pelted with beer bottles, and in some cases their cars were swamped and stomped on as they tried to move from one violent flare-up to the next. They sometimes appeared powerless to keep up with the moving mob.

An 18-year-old man who had ventured to the beach for a dip just before 11am was the first to be targeted. He was chased by 200 people to the Northies Hotel, where 20 bouncers joined police in holding back a crowd that swelled to several thousand.

Many people were drinking in a nearby park - some clearly underage. Late yesterday hotels and bottle shops agreed to stop takeaway alcohol sales.

One man was taken by police into Northies, which became a "safe haven". Police also set up a safe house in the North Cronulla clubhouse.

About 7.30pm a young man of Lebanese appearance, arms held out imploringly, sprinted south on a footpath towards the protective shield of the police stationed at Cronulla Beach, hotly pursued by a drunken mob numbering hundreds. He outran the mob and was saved by police, who placed him in the back of a police van, which was then surrounded by the mob.

As the van drove away, one young Caucasian girl laughed and said to a male companion: "That was sick. I've never seen a dumb Leb run so fast. How good was that?"

Earlier a man was cornered in Mitchell Street and had several bottles smashed over his head while he was punched and kicked by dozens of screaming people.

He had been walking with two other men when he was hit by a young man draped in the Australian flag. A bystander tried to stop the assault, saying "He's not a Leb, he's not a Leb".

A lone policeman came to his aid, spraying a canister of capsicum spray to try to disperse the crowd until more support arrived.

Many shopkeepers closed their doors as the crowd converged on Cronulla station. Two men who had just stepped off a train were bashed by about 50 people after they were forced against the carriage. Police said the invasion of the station appeared to have been prompted by a bogus text message saying a trainload of people was due to arrive from Bankstown.

Sarah Id, 17, and her sister Amy, 15, from Sutherland, who were both born in the area and whose parents are Lebanese immigrants, found themselves under the protection of police and transit security guards as they waited for their train while 1000 people stood opposite. The pair had gone to Cronulla Beach, as they had done most weekends as children, "just to get a tan".

"We had to get out because everyone was telling us to go home. Both girls and guys were shouting at us and a woman told us to watch our backs," Sarah said.

"They were saying, 'You don't belong here'. We were born here and went to Jannali High."

Neither the Prime Minister nor the federal Opposition Leader wanted to comment last night.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/12/ ... l?from=rss

AcmeWhiteBread
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by AcmeWhiteBread » December 11th, 2005, 12:37 pm

About time. I dont like violence or hate or people being hurt. But what I DO HATE is invited guests tearing up the party. The white man has been kiising black, brown, yellow and now muslim ass for so god damn long just to prove we are capable of being descent its rediculous. We have spent BILLION UPON BILLION of dollars trying to make everyone equal and it is just a joke. There are non whites who are smarter than me, and Im smarter than some. Nature is noit equal and we will never all be equal. We will always be more comfortable around each person like kind and there is no evil in that. These middle eatern maggotts come here and kill 5,000 in NYC and what did whitey do? The applauded as the greatest building in the world came down and we did nothing. What attack Iraq???????? Whats that about. My hats are off to these aussies only because they are taking control of their own land while their BS government, like ours sells its citizens down the river. It wont happen in my life time but I have shitty feeling one day whitey will snap, all at once and this assinine social experiment will explode and and the devestation will be un godly...... Doesnt anyone have any common sense anymore?

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » December 11th, 2005, 1:19 pm

laughing at the line protecting their land.

Well, I guess the Aussies almsot did kill off all of the Aboriginies.

And aren't Arabs classified as caucasions?

AcmeWhiteBread
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by AcmeWhiteBread » December 11th, 2005, 1:28 pm

Wouldnt matter what their classified as. Their un grateful maggotts....

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » December 11th, 2005, 1:41 pm

AcmeWhiteBread wrote:Wouldnt matter what their classified as. Their un grateful maggotts....
You know all of them?
What else do you know about their culture and history?

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » December 11th, 2005, 2:28 pm

The Aussies are not French. Here's some video:

http://ninemsn.video.msn.com/v/en-au/v. ... news&t=s29

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » December 11th, 2005, 2:40 pm

lol at this comment from mma.tv:
" So a bunch of arabs was starting shit, and the Ausie street gangs beat the shit out of them?

I have to admit, I like that."

I can imagine him saying that like that one Mexican foo in training day told Jake: "Alonzo is a ruthless fucker, but I like that holmes, I like that"

UmanH-ay

Unread post by UmanH-ay » December 11th, 2005, 3:55 pm

bah, this exhadrate a lotta the shit that goes on there, especially the youths as they want to sound like their on the level of America

AcmeWhiteBread
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by AcmeWhiteBread » December 11th, 2005, 4:06 pm

Sentenza wrote:
AcmeWhiteBread wrote:Wouldnt matter what their classified as. Their un grateful maggotts....
You know all of them?
What else do you know about their culture and history?
I couldnt care less about " their culture " I just want it out of the western hemisphere. I have enough " cultures " to deal with.........OVER IT. Done with all this drivel about understanding other cultures. I couldnt care less anymore, you got it? They dont care about me and I dont care about them. Real simple. My energy and attention are for my country and if I had anything to say about it so would my money be for my country. Seal the border, deport all middle eastern muslims, repeal the patriot act, restore ALL OF OUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS, and that all I ask.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » December 11th, 2005, 4:14 pm

The world is a mixed up place and theres nothing you can do, so we better get used to it.

So let me get this straight.... you consider this alright ?

So if that kind of thing is alright, it is alright for Iraqis to kill Americans, cause they dont belong into Iraq. What do you think?

AcmeWhiteBread
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by AcmeWhiteBread » December 11th, 2005, 4:39 pm

Sentenza wrote:The world is a mixed up place and theres nothing you can do, so we better get used to it.

So let me get this straight.... you consider this alright ?

So if that kind of thing is alright, it is alright for Iraqis to kill Americans, cause they dont belong into Iraq. What do you think?
I think its about time. Every country that has a white population has a double standard. If your non-white and you attack a white its because you were raised in poverty and all the white liberals jump on the non white guys side and say yes ,poor mohhamad came from a tough country. Were sorry bashed you kids head in. But if a white kid wins the fight it hate crime, it civil right viloation and it F^cking B *llsh!T. So yes, Im glad these aussies stomped on these maggotts. And yes its alright for Iraqis to kill americans. It was a total un provoked attack that Bush brought forth with a pack of lies. Those " insurgents" are merely Iraqi patriots that our media tries to portray as bad. They have set an awsome example of what the people can do. I hoipe Ameriocan remeber this when and if we ever have to handle our buisness against our own government.....

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » December 11th, 2005, 6:30 pm

would be funny if when the cripps would start shit theyd be met with a similar response.

Maniac
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Maniac » December 11th, 2005, 6:35 pm

Im Aussie so i saw most of it..

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » December 11th, 2005, 7:12 pm

how was that shit maniac?

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » December 11th, 2005, 7:33 pm

how did it start? Was it organised like ahead of time or did it start with a local incident or what?

Maniac
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Maniac » December 11th, 2005, 8:48 pm

The only thing disappointing was the Neo Nazi pricks.It was basically 5000 strong against 200 and was organised basically but in Sydney the Aussies, Asian. Serbian, Islanders and Blacks don't like the middle easrtern aka lebanese.It was all over a life saver being bashed.Lebanese retalited and destroyed property.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » December 11th, 2005, 9:08 pm

[quote="AcmeWhiteBread"]Wouldnt matter what their classified as. Their un grateful maggotts....[/quote]lil bitch ass racist punk...back then in france when i first got there u had that type of riots against us and mostly against blaks and arabic people thats why we did create gangs to protect our ass from the average angry working class white boy who at that time were joining the skinhead movement ...and arabic people are not caucasian i dont think they are ...they from africa north africa ...its a matter of time before those lebs'' unite and start kickin' the shit outof those australian drunk racists

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » December 11th, 2005, 9:11 pm

[quote="Invincible"][img]http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/12/ ... x415,0.jpg[/img]

would be funny if when the cripps would start shit theyd be met with a similar response.[/quote]they look gay as f....

Oaktown_G
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Oaktown_G » December 11th, 2005, 9:20 pm

Thats funny if blacks were to do that they would say we look like animals like with the shit in toledo but when the whites did it it was called simply a riot.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » December 11th, 2005, 9:24 pm

damn, you right. I wasn't even thinking about that. Then they would be spouting some gay shit about playing the race card. punk shit.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » December 11th, 2005, 10:44 pm

I thought it was generally the opposite, meaning if whites riot its nazis and racism and white supremacy, but when minorities riot its for being opressed?

Maniac
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Maniac » December 11th, 2005, 10:51 pm

In Australia the Asians had a very large riot with Lebanese.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » December 11th, 2005, 10:54 pm

i guess we all play the race card then. Huh, Invincible?

Maniac
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Maniac » December 11th, 2005, 11:24 pm

Very right perongregory.

Oaktown_G
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Oaktown_G » December 11th, 2005, 11:37 pm

I mean I see what invincible is saying but if blacks were to do that oh shit they would of been beatin the shit out of them with clubs tear gas throwing them in jail and then to most of white america you would hear about the savage behaivor that has happened but I just got done watchin the news and I didnt hear 1 damn thing about anyone being arrested and they swung at them a few times with the clubs but mainly didnt touch them now compare this to toledo the numbers may be off but look at the ones causing the trouble and you will see what i'm talkin about.

Oaktown_G
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Oaktown_G » December 11th, 2005, 11:44 pm

I'm not trying to play the race card i'm just tellin the truth now I know someone is gonna come back comparing something to blacks trying to make us still look bad and another comparrison in toledo the rioting which was made to look so bad was for a good purpose you are attacking something evil in Aus the most I heard iit was a dispute gone bad.But blacks and mexicans and every other minority are the animals. :lol:

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » December 12th, 2005, 1:06 am

Oaktown_G wrote:I mean I see what invincible is saying but if blacks were to do that oh shit they would of been beatin the shit out of them with clubs tear gas throwing them in jail and then to most of white america you would hear about the savage behaivor that has happened but I just got done watchin the news and I didnt hear 1 damn thing about anyone being arrested and they swung at them a few times with the clubs but mainly didnt touch them now compare this to toledo the numbers may be off but look at the ones causing the trouble and you will see what i'm talkin about.
your argument is flawed for the very reason that you cant compare America to Australia or to France, in France they responded slowly and I havent been following it but they seemed to be looting for a long time unpunished and often attacking ppl. Katrina was lawless for some time as well. Look at Rodney King riots, people of all races I believe were arrested and Rodney King got a huge pile of cash.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » December 12th, 2005, 4:43 am

Oaktown_G wrote:I'm not trying to play the race card i'm just tellin the truth now I know someone is gonna come back comparing something to blacks trying to make us still look bad and another comparrison in toledo the rioting which was made to look so bad was for a good purpose you are attacking something evil in Aus the most I heard iit was a dispute gone bad.But blacks and mexicans and every other minority are the animals. :lol:
Of course, didnt you know that we whites never looted, rioted or went into a rampage? Whites only defend themselves or revolt justified.
Its always those fuckin blacks, mexicans and arabs that behave like animals for no apparent reason.

We are the good ones, when will you realize that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

AcmeWhiteBread
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by AcmeWhiteBread » December 12th, 2005, 7:29 am

bgcasper wrote:
lil bitch ass racist punk...back then in france when i first got there u had that type of riots against us and mostly against blaks and arabic people thats why we did create gangs to protect our ass from the average angry working class white boy who at that time were joining the skinhead movement ...and arabic people are not caucasian i dont think they are ...they from africa north africa ...its a matter of time before those lebs'' unite and start kickin' the shit outof those australian drunk racists
This wonderful, very well said. So two kids die in france that as it turns out were not even being chased by cops. And even if they were, the cops didnt kill them. Then there is riots for days attacking property old and young. So you invite people to live with you, you do the best you can for them, free rent, free food and then they throw it in your face cause you didnt give them, YOUR HOUSE AND YOUR FOOD. You gettin the picture here knuckle dragger? Ok, so then two lebanese attack two life guards, no question that they did it, then the host's, ( the aussies, for you slow ones ) become angry at the guests, ) the middle easterners) and retaliate and you dont see your hypocrisy? Thats why I dont hang here much. A bunch of double standard excuse makin chimps. Blacks are far more racist and bigoted than whites. What is so insane about taking back interest in my people rather than spending trillion of dollars trying to make this rediculous social experiment work? whats in it for me ????????
When I spend my money, I like something in return. Instead of the gratuities my people have provided thrown back in our face. Smart blacks and the like, have used there special status and gotten ahead, good for them. I got news for ya, Aussies are not french, they will smash on these swarthy desert roaches without question. F^ck Islam, now and forever!

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » December 12th, 2005, 7:34 am

you need to chill with all that angry white man shit. It's annoying and unwarranted.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 12th, 2005, 7:49 am

Sentenza wrote:
Oaktown_G wrote:I'm not trying to play the race card i'm just tellin the truth now I know someone is gonna come back comparing something to blacks trying to make us still look bad and another comparrison in toledo the rioting which was made to look so bad was for a good purpose you are attacking something evil in Aus the most I heard iit was a dispute gone bad.But blacks and mexicans and every other minority are the animals. :lol:
Of course, didnt you know that we whites never looted, rioted or went into a rampage? Whites only defend themselves or revolt justified.
Its always those fuckin blacks, mexicans and arabs that behave like animals for no apparent reason.

We are the good ones, when will you realize that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Riiiiiiiiight!!:wink:

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 12th, 2005, 7:52 am

perongregory wrote:you need to chill with all that angry white man shit. It's annoying and unwarranted.
No kidding huh?