Youngster's Black Power Poem Upsets School Officials

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Youngster's Black Power Poem Upsets School Officials

Unread post by 'X' » March 22nd, 2006, 1:34 pm

BETTER OR VERSE

By DAVID ANDREATTA Education Reporter
-- YOUNGSTER'S BLACK-POWER POEM RILES SCHOOL

A 7-year-old prodigy unleashed a firestorm when she recited a poem she wrote comparing Christopher Columbus and Charles Darwin to "pirates" and "vampires" who robbed blacks of their identities and human rights.
Hundreds of parents of Peekskill middle- and high-school students received a recorded phone message last week apologizing for little Autum Ashante's poem, titled "White Nationalism Put U in Bondage."

"Black lands taken from your hands, by vampires with no remorse," the aspiring actress and poet wrote. "They took the gold, the wisdom and all the storytellers. They took the black women, with the black man weak. Made to watch as they changed the paradigm of our village.

"Yeah white nationalism is what put you in bondage. Pirates and vampires like Columbus, Morgan and Darwin."

Autum was invited to speak at the Westchester schools on Feb. 28 by Melvin Bolden, a music teacher at the middle school who advises the high school's Black Culture Club and is a member of the Peekskill City Council.

Autum, whose résumé includes several television appearances and performances at the Apollo Theater and the African Burial Ground in Manhattan, told The Post that her poem was meant to instill pride in black students and to encourage them to steer clear of violence.

"I don't think there's anything wrong with my poem. I was trying to tell them the straight-up truth :!: :!: :!: :lol: ," Autum said. "I'm trying to tell them not to fight because they're killing the brothers and sisters."

Autum, who is home-schooled in Mount Vernon and speaks several languages, prefaced her performance at the high school with a Black Panthers' pledge asking black youngsters to not harm one another.

It did not sit well with parents.

In a telephone interview with The Post, Bolden said Autum has been "unofficially" banned from performing in a district school again and that school officials would review transcripts of future speakers.

"It's unfortunate, because some teachers said they wanted this little girl to explain the things she said to their students, but some parents don't want her on school grounds," Bolden said.

"[The poem] might have been a little too aggressive for what the middle-school kids are ready to handle," Bolden added.

Kimberly Greene, a mother of children in the high school and middle school, said she was shocked when she got the recorded phone message.

"If there are people who are upset about what she said, the schools should have talked about and analyzed it rather than send a message to everyone saying this little girl was offensive," Greene said.

Autum's father, Batin Ashante, said he can't believe the fuss over his daughter's poem.

"She's a little girl who does poetry about real things. She doesn't do poetry about cotton candy," Ashante said. "She's a serious little person."

curiousdude06
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by curiousdude06 » March 22nd, 2006, 8:15 pm

I think this case was on the news shows last week. Apparently this girl wanted only the black students to stand up when she read the poem; some whites wanted to stand in solidarity but she didn't want them to do so. That's pretty sad.

Things like this only help to further strain racial ties in america. What really upsets me is the way many races confuse racial "pride" with racial denigration. There is nothing inherently wrong with being proud of your race or who you are/where you came from. There is something wrong when your pride comes at the expense of other races. How is this girl calling white historical figures as vampires and other epithets any different from white supremacists who call racial minorities mud and insulting black historical figures (like MLK which the neo nazis love to drag through the mud).

useless_person
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by useless_person » March 22nd, 2006, 8:50 pm

Stupid little girl :evil:

If she was my little sister, I would beat the shit out of her! :x

She can't talk shit like that!

White people say something about blacks, the whole world turns against them, but blacks say something about whites, the whole world cheers them on, and if whites talk back and the blacks who said it wet their pants(the little girl), then the whole world is crying along...

Her poem is stupid, and the topic is racist..

If there was like a petition to sign for that girl to suffer a horrible death with only one signature left to go and like little time left to do it, then I won't hesitate to see her suffer the same faith as before blacks had power over whites and how whites have to suffer blacks' racism now!

Screw that poem, I do something that pisses another person off, and they start talking shit, so I respond, everyone turns on their side and ends up like the person who did that shit, having the same faith as them..

Big mistake...

useless_person
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Youngster's Black Power Poem Upsets School Officials

Unread post by useless_person » March 22nd, 2006, 9:01 pm

"[The poem] might have been a little too aggressive for what the middle-school kids are ready to handle," Bolden added.
Uhh... Do they come from like the pussiest neighbourhood in the damn suburban country of 'The Pussy Pussarity Of Suburbia' or something?!

Over where I live, middle school kids either make the teacher spaz out and go crazy and even cry most of the times(grade 6), look upto the grade 8ths for the better learning experiance to be able to know a good ass kicking by anazlizing it(grade 7), or even come up with a hundred other fellow gang members carrying bats, knives, guns or explosives and do like what you'd call a 'show and tell' by doing the showing part where people get sprayed by 100 bullets per second with an ak-47 and the 'telling' part where they threaten to kill anyone who fucks with them...

Thats the true middle school experiance, but thats on the good days..

Omg.. If the kids in America sound like the wannabe deliquents in Boys N the Hood, that cheesy, stale and pussy wannabe a tuff little boy by swearing your fatass off kind of kids, then good thing im staying where the view of it is far and blurry so i wont be able to witness the insult of it...

Or if they are worse than my description above, then they must have some form of entertainment other than beating each other down, kicking water bottles at each other, jumping off high objects and falling on pure concrete without a trace of any damage or pain, or even firing 1 foot long and 2.5 inch thick firecrackers at each other while grabbing the near-by broken plastic chair for protection, then im kool with suburbia's 'pussy policy'(you know th details....).

Omg. :roll: [/b]

Oaktown_G
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Oaktown_G » March 22nd, 2006, 11:38 pm

She aint do nothin but tell the truth and then yes your right if whites were to say anything yes you would be hearing about forever but you all put yourselves in that position and to the blacks who get mad if the white folks say somthing back man up quit gettin mad over little shit theres bigger things in this world than someones opinion.

none for you
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by none for you » March 23rd, 2006, 1:12 am

well well well!
blackmanofhonour has a daughter! WHO KNEW?

BTW... 7 year olds dont embrace those sort of extreme ideals on their own, prodigy or not.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » March 23rd, 2006, 4:35 pm

theres nothing wrong with the poem if a white person said something like that i also agree there would be an upraor but thats stupid theres nothing wrong with being proud of who you are and thats the truth if a white person went on oprah saying he were proud to be white i congratulate him cause i rarely hear it.

i think whites are scared to be proud of being white with trhe expense of being called racist

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 23rd, 2006, 5:28 pm

100 wrote:theres nothing wrong with the poem if a white person said something like that i also agree there would be an upraor but thats stupid theres nothing wrong with being proud of who you are and thats the truth if a white person went on oprah saying he were proud to be white i congratulate him cause i rarely hear it.

i think whites are scared to be proud of being white with trhe expense of being called racist
you will never see white people do that. we cant. because the only ones who do it now are skinheads and nazis, and if any regular white person does it they go in that category too.

and america does have a freedom of speach and i guess this "seven year old?" can say what she wants and i dont have a problem with it. but if a white 7 year old made a poem about how "blacks were robbing and gang bangining" where they live, they would get called a racist.

none for you
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by none for you » March 23rd, 2006, 5:52 pm

100 wrote:theres nothing wrong with the poem if a white person said something like that i also agree there would be an upraor but thats stupid theres nothing wrong with being proud of who you are and thats the truth if a white person went on oprah saying he were proud to be white i congratulate him cause i rarely hear it.

oh WRONGO!

if I, a white person were to display pride, i wou,d be called a racist.... oh,,i MEAN WHEN i display pride, i get called a racist...

this little so'n'so is rippin on white people and is therefore proud to be black....
it sickens me how the difference is so overlooked.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » March 23rd, 2006, 6:00 pm

realize the real lies wrote:

oh WRONGO!

if I, a white person were to display pride, i wou,d be called a racist.... oh,,i MEAN WHEN i display pride, i get called a racist...

this little so'n'so is rippin on white people and is therefore proud to be black....
it sickens me how the difference is so overlooked.

you and sell are right you will be called racist and theres many reasons for that as sell said nazis and shit oh well

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » March 23rd, 2006, 6:01 pm

okay what about the flyers latinos where holding up saying latino power and all that shint in chicago

Tre
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tre » March 23rd, 2006, 6:19 pm

I don't think any school should be a podium for any political platform ... with that said ... unfortunately alot of the schoolbooks themselves promote racist propaganda.
If it wasn't for this fact ... if there was more balance in these textbooks, then there would be no need for Latinos to assert themselves by passing out Latino power flyers or this African American girl to recite pro-black poems.

none for you
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by none for you » March 23rd, 2006, 8:24 pm

Tre wrote:I don't think any school should be a podium for any political platform ... with that said ... unfortunately alot of the schoolbooks themselves promote racist propaganda.
If it wasn't for this fact ... if there was more balance in these textbooks, then there would be no need for Latinos to assert themselves by passing out Latino power flyers or this African American girl to recite pro-black poems.

Anti-white does NOT equate pro-black
if you see that little girl's poem as problack I would like to point out it was blatant anti white.
but this dead horse is still being dragged around this damned forum ad nauseum/

Tre
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tre » March 23rd, 2006, 10:44 pm

I can only agree with you if I chose to ignore the root cause of her outburst. The emphasis on the history of the white experience alienates minority students. African American, Native American, and Latino students view history with a special dislike.

Just look at it as a tug of war ... if you have a racist curriculum, textbooks, and teachers on one end of the rope ... and you have this poor defenseless black girl struggling for self identity on the other end of the rope ... her response is going to have to be just as great, if not greater to offset the pull. If you want to frame her response as racist and ignore what shes fighting for, you can do that.

If you have a German and a Jew fighting ... and the German is attempting to place the other in an oven. I am pretty sure that Jew is not going to have any nice words for that German, let alone the German people. Now that German can frame the situation and say, "hey look ... see I told you... Jews are racist too" But again is having a reaction to something the same as that reaction? Is responding to racism the same as being racist? If you answer yes then how does one equate self defense in your equation?

none for you
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by none for you » March 23rd, 2006, 11:29 pm

Tre wrote:I can only agree with you if I chose to ignore the root cause of her outburst. The emphasis on the history of the white experience alienates minority students. African American, Native American, and Latino students view history with a special dislike.

Just look at it as a tug of war ... if you have a racist curriculum, textbooks, and teachers on one end of the rope ... and you have this poor defenseless black girl struggling for self identity on the other end of the rope ... her response is going to have to be just as great, if not greater to offset the pull. If you want to frame her response as racist and ignore what shes fighting for, you can do that.

If you have a German and a Jew fighting ... and the German is attempting to place the other in an oven. I am pretty sure that Jew is not going to have any nice words for that German, let alone the German people. Now that German can frame the situation and say, "hey look ... see I told you... Jews are racist too" But again is having a reaction to something the same as that reaction? Is responding to racism the same as being racist? If you answer yes then how does one equate self defense in your equation?
the difference between responding and reacting is the same
difference as blaming and forgiving

so if someone responds to racism they arent racist,
but if they react they are most definitely racist.

blatent overtures, such as implied by the poem
(of which I am DYING of curiosity to read it it's entirety),
are a reaction not a response.

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » March 24th, 2006, 10:15 am

Tre wrote:I can only agree with you if I chose to ignore the root cause of her outburst. The emphasis on the history of the white experience alienates minority students. African American, Native American, and Latino students view history with a special dislike.

I hear you and this obviously is part of her discovering and integrating what is new information (to her). The real question, as it affects who she is as a person, will be answered by her actions as she integrates all of this. Will she integrate it in a way that makes her a better person or integrate it in a way that makes her a worse one?

One person will integrate the information becoming a humanitarian who seeks real change that benefits everyone while another chooses to harbor and nourish the poisons of bitterness and hate in their soul becoming the very thing they despise acting out accordingly.

It is a dilemma and the choice lies immediately before her.

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » March 25th, 2006, 12:50 pm

realize the real lies wrote:well well well!

BTW... 7 year olds dont embrace those sort of extreme ideals on their own, prodigy or not.

im amazed such an mature piece could be written by a 7 year old girl.

everyone is entitled to freedom of speech. its good to instil amongst black youth not to harm one another etc.. like she did, but it didnt imply that she was encouraging peace amongst races.

still, i am amazed that was a 7 year old girl, home schooled aswell that made them thoughts. and to express such feelings she must have had some experience with them :?:, or was she speaking someone else words :?:

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » March 25th, 2006, 1:52 pm

That little girl's poem was obviously written by (or partially written by) her parents. I can't believe anybody is buying the idea that she wrote it herself. My niece is seven and she's a smart kid, learned to read when she was in kindergarten and she's not even CLOSE to where that girl is. That girl would have to be a total genius/prodigy to have written that.

Also, was Columbus really a white nationalist? The guy was Italian, acording to that Sicilian guy, they're not white anymore.

Not to mention Columbus's crew was all Spaniards.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 25th, 2006, 1:54 pm

^^ maturity? it sounds like parents influencing their kids a little too to think they way they want them to. a 7 year old should be playing with toys and dolls and watching cartoons, not studying an indepth look at the history, foundation, and society of a country. i guarantee you her parents are not free spirits and let her "choose her own path".

even though this may sound racist, i dont intend it to. since plenty of parents of all people are getting their kids to think their way from a young age.

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » March 26th, 2006, 5:29 am

Silencioso wrote:
Also, was Columbus really a white nationalist? The guy was Italian, acording to that Sicilian guy, they're not white anymore.

Not to mention Columbus's crew was all Spaniards.

the spanish are a racist nation, well evertime england play spain at football the spanish fans make money sounds when our black players are in control of the ball.

the other name mentioned, darwin, he was given a hard time for being against black people used as slaves. he also did some work with a black man. he took criticism for it but he was not racist. he believed in equality.

ok so i didnt know the guy personally, but this is what i read about him.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » March 27th, 2006, 1:50 pm

I didn't know that about Spain. That's messed up.

I was just making the point that race issues are easy to manipulate and distort by throwing words around. Calling Darwin a white nationalist. I think some black people are wary of Darwin because his theories were used by racists to justify slavery and the low position of blacks in society

Tre
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tre » March 27th, 2006, 7:49 pm

se11 wrote:america does have a freedom of speach and i guess this "seven year old?" can say what she wants and i dont have a problem with it. but if a white 7 year old made a poem about how "blacks were robbing and gang bangining" where they live, they would get called a racist.

lol... no they would get called by a record producer and make millions of dollars. Eminem started out around the age of 10 and we all know how successful he became.

Tre
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tre » March 27th, 2006, 7:57 pm

Silencioso wrote:That little girl's poem was obviously written by (or partially written by) her parents. I can't believe anybody is buying the idea that she wrote it herself. My niece is seven and she's a smart kid, learned to read when she was in kindergarten and she's not even CLOSE to where that girl is. That girl would have to be a total genius/prodigy to have written that.
Wow. Now the debate has switched from the poem to if the girl has the intelligence necessary to write such a poem. You are right she is a child prodigy. I am not sure how many languages your 7 year old speaks Silencio, but apparently this 7 year old black girl speaks several, including Spanish. It should also be mentioned that she comes from a school district that is 40 percent black, 30 percent Latino, with a minority of whites. Its the handful of whites that seem to be giving her the hardest time.
I agree the speech is way too deep for kids her own age. But it sounds more like the handful of whites in her area is bitter about her challenging their delusions of white superiority and shattering some of the myths and lies surrounding white HIStory.

Tre
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tre » March 27th, 2006, 8:02 pm

NW10 wrote:the other name mentioned, darwin, he was given a hard time for being against black people used as slaves. he also did some work with a black man. he took criticism for it but he was not racist. he believed in equality.

ok so i didnt know the guy personally, but this is what i read about him.

Many have argued that Darwin himself was not a “racist” (referring to the fact that his book The Origin of Species did not include much discussion about Homo sapiens), his second book, The Descent of Man, left no doubt about his personal views. In that book, he wrote:

At some future period not very distant as measured by centuries, the civilised races of man will almost certainly exterminate and replace the savage races throughout the world. At the same time the anthropomorphous apes...will no doubt be exterminated. The break between man and his nearest Allies will then be wider, for it will intervene between man in a more civilised state, as we may hope, even than the Caucasian, and some ape as low as the baboon, instead of as now between the Negro or Australian and the gorilla (1874, p. 178).

A few pages later in chapter seven, he noted:

Their mental characteristics are likewise very distinct; chiefly as it would appear in their emotional, but partly in their intellectual faculties. Everyone who has had the opportunity of comparison must have been struck with the contrast between the taciturn, even morose, aborigines of S. America and the light-hearted, talkative negroes.

Now if that is not racism, I don't know what is ...

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » March 28th, 2006, 12:53 am

Tre wrote:Wow. Now the debate has switched from the poem to if the girl has the intelligence necessary to write such a poem. You are right she is a child prodigy. I am not sure how many languages your 7 year old speaks Silencio, but apparently this 7 year old black girl speaks several, including Spanish. It should also be mentioned that she comes from a school district that is 40 percent black, 30 percent Latino, with a minority of whites. Its the handful of whites that seem to be giving her the hardest time.

I agree the speech is way too deep for kids her own age. But it sounds more like the handful of whites in her area is bitter about her challenging their delusions of white superiority and shattering some of the myths and lies surrounding white HIStory.
The handful of whites in that area may be much more interested in just making it to school and back without getting beaten than making speeches to the larger Black and Brown population about white superiority. I mean seriously.

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by 'X' » March 28th, 2006, 9:25 pm

Child prodigy speaks truth in poem
By S..S

Autumn and her father enjoying a moment in Central Park in New York City.

NEW YORK - Autumn Ashante may be only seven years old, but she knows just exactly what she wants, and what has to be done to get there.
“I want to meet Mother Tynnetta (Muhammad). She is my hero,” revealed Autumn during a telephone interview with The F.C. When asked what was so special about Mother Tynnetta, the child prodigy answered without hesitation: “Because her words are so powerful.”

Autumn speaks three languages and reads the Holy Qur’an in Arabic. She also wants to meet the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan. “I admire Minister Farrakhan’s mind and his will and what he thinks,” Autumn stated. “And he is very strong.”

Speaking of strength, when Autumn stood before her audience from the Peekskill middle and high schools Feb. 28, the last day of Black History Month to recite her poem which compared Christopher Columbus and Charles Darwin to pirates and vampires that robbed Blacks of their identity, it took a lot of strength.

The prelude to her poem: the recital of the “Black Child’s Pledge” of the Black Panther Party.

I will discipline myself to direct my energies thoughtfully and constructively rather than wasting them in idle hatred. I will train myself never to hurt or allow others to harm my Black brothers and sisters for I recognize that we need every Black Man, Woman and Child to be physically, mentally and psychologically strong.

“I was very concerned about the violence that has been happening between the Black and Latino youth, and I wanted my poem to give them something to think about other than the negative,” Autumn told The F.C. Her poem, entitled “White Nationalism Put U in Bondage,” caused quite a furor.

“Black lands taken from your hands by vampires with no remorse. They took the gold, the wisdom and all the storytellers. They took the Black women, with the Black man weak. Made to watch as they changed the paradigm of our village... White nationalism is what put you in bondage: pirates and vampires like Columbus, Morgan and Darwin drank the blood of the sheep, trampled all over them with steel, tricks and deceit...”

Some White students walked out. Parents received a recorded message that apologized for the poem. The New York Post reported that Autumn was “unofficially” banned from performing in the school district, but that has been denied by a school official in a story that appeared in the Amsterdam News.

“Autumn was aware that there had been a violent confrontation at the school the day before she appeared between the Black and Latino students, and she wanted to give them something that would stop them from wanting to kill each other,” explained Autumn’s father, Batin Ashante.

Autumn, who has been home-schooled for the past two years, told the New York Post, the newspaper that broke the story, “I don’t think there’s anything wrong with my poem. I was trying to tell them the straight-up truth. I’m trying to tell them not to fight because they’re killing the Brothers and Sisters.”

When asked why she felt so strongly about the violence, she explained, “Like the Honorable Elijah Muhammad said, there is no time for this.” (TEEEACH)

Mr. Ashante has raised Autumn by himself since she was 11 months old. He explained that his daughter has always had a thirst for knowledge and began reading at the age of two. “She has always had a notebook nearby, and she is always writing in it,” he shared.

Autumn has appeared at the Apollo Theater, the African Burial Ground in lower Manhattan, BET, C-Span and a 2003 performance before the New York City Council that brought a standing ovation. She had been brought to the city council by Brooklyn Councilwoman Yvette Clarke.

“I want to foremost declare my unquestioned support for Autumn Ashante,” the councilwoman said in a press release shortly after the Post published its story.

“I have, on several occasions, had the opportunity to meet and speak with this gifted child. I have been so impressed with her oratorical skills and poetic recitations.”

none for you
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by none for you » March 28th, 2006, 9:49 pm

NW10 wrote:
realize the real lies wrote:well well well!

im amazed such an mature piece could be written by a 7 year old girl.

everyone is entitled to freedom of speech. its good to instil amongst black youth not to harm one another etc.. like she did, but it didnt imply that she was encouraging peace amongst races.

still, i am amazed that was a 7 year old girl, home schooled aswell that made them thoughts. and to express such feelings she must have had some experience with them :?:, or was she speaking someone else words :?:

Emulation and admiration are the highest form of flattery and by the looks of that picture, she is definitely daddy's little girl...

No, I am not saying these words are not her own, but does a seven year old really know who they are and what they believe or do they desire admiration acceptance and support with the parent they parrot? "Home schooled" is the key element.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 29th, 2006, 12:37 pm

X wrote:Child prodigy speaks truth in poem
By S..S

NEW YORK - Autumn Ashante may be only seven years old, but she knows just exactly what she wants, and what has to be done to get there.
“I want to meet Mother Tynnetta (Muhammad). She is my hero,” revealed Autumn during a telephone interview with The F.C. When asked what was so special about Mother Tynnetta, the child prodigy answered without hesitation: “Because her words are so powerful.”

Autumn speaks three languages and reads the Holy Qur’an in Arabic. She also wants to meet the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan. “I admire Minister Farrakhan’s mind and his will and what he thinks,” Autumn stated. “And he is very strong.”

Speaking of strength, when Autumn stood before her audience from the Peekskill middle and high schools Feb. 28, the last day of Black History Month to recite her poem which compared Christopher Columbus and Charles Darwin to pirates and vampires that robbed Blacks of their identity, it took a lot of strength.

The prelude to her poem: the recital of the “Black Child’s Pledge” of the Black Panther Party.

I will discipline myself to direct my energies thoughtfully and constructively rather than wasting them in idle hatred. I will train myself never to hurt or allow others to harm my Black brothers and sisters for I recognize that we need every Black Man, Woman and Child to be physically, mentally and psychologically strong.

“I was very concerned about the violence that has been happening between the Black and Latino youth, and I wanted my poem to give them something to think about other than the negative,” Autumn told The F.C. Her poem, entitled “White Nationalism Put U in Bondage,” caused quite a furor.

“Black lands taken from your hands by vampires with no remorse. They took the gold, the wisdom and all the storytellers. They took the Black women, with the Black man weak. Made to watch as they changed the paradigm of our village... White nationalism is what put you in bondage: pirates and vampires like Columbus, Morgan and Darwin drank the blood of the sheep, trampled all over them with steel, tricks and deceit...”

Some White students walked out. Parents received a recorded message that apologized for the poem. The New York Post reported that Autumn was “unofficially” banned from performing in the school district, but that has been denied by a school official in a story that appeared in the Amsterdam News.

“Autumn was aware that there had been a violent confrontation at the school the day before she appeared between the Black and Latino students, and she wanted to give them something that would stop them from wanting to kill each other,” explained Autumn’s father, Batin Ashante.

Autumn, who has been home-schooled for the past two years, told the New York Post, the newspaper that broke the story, “I don’t think there’s anything wrong with my poem. I was trying to tell them the straight-up truth. I’m trying to tell them not to fight because they’re killing the Brothers and Sisters.”

When asked why she felt so strongly about the violence, she explained, “Like the Honorable Elijah Muhammad said, there is no time for this.” (TEEEACH)

Mr. Ashante has raised Autumn by himself since she was 11 months old. He explained that his daughter has always had a thirst for knowledge and began reading at the age of two. “She has always had a notebook nearby, and she is always writing in it,” he shared.

Autumn has appeared at the Apollo Theater, the African Burial Ground in lower Manhattan, BET, C-Span and a 2003 performance before the New York City Council that brought a standing ovation. She had been brought to the city council by Brooklyn Councilwoman Yvette Clarke.

“I want to foremost declare my unquestioned support for Autumn Ashante,” the councilwoman said in a press release shortly after the Post published its story.

“I have, on several occasions, had the opportunity to meet and speak with this gifted child. I have been so impressed with her oratorical skills and poetic recitations.”
no way, her father had nothing to do with the way she thinks. :roll:

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 29th, 2006, 12:37 pm

By S..S

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » March 29th, 2006, 10:31 pm

se11 wrote:
By S..S

YOU ARE AN idiot man its no differernt from kids writing a i have a dream speech its obvious that her family is teaching her african american history whereas some black families wont or dont..

its called practice, studying and i guess thats not her voice when she performs in front of people either :roll:

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 30th, 2006, 12:46 pm

hey shes entitled to her own opinion and freedom of speach. but honestly, what 7 year old feels so deeply about american history. 7 year olds should be playing video games, sports, and ect.

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by 'X' » March 30th, 2006, 3:03 pm

se11 wrote:hey shes entitled to her own opinion and freedom of speach. but honestly, what 7 year old feels so deeply about american history. 7 year olds should be playing video games, sports, and ect.
Are you serious?

This is what is wrong with too many of youth now, they so caught up in all this bs like video games, sports the tv, etc.. etc.. We suppose to be teaching, guiding and training our babies from the womb, actually even earlier(but thats another subject). Many of us know the public school system is not going to teach our babies OUR true history, so we have to teach them young and instill in them love for ourselves early. You really are not aware of the many child geniuses in the world? You think they became smart from video games, sports etc..etc..? Or do you think the parents prepared early?