Silly Asian Women

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Silly Asian Women

Unread post by Tyrant » September 21st, 2006, 10:12 pm

Asian Women Face 'Model Minority' Pressures
Run Date: 09/18/06
By Malena Amusa
WeNews correspondent

Among women, Asian Americans have some of the highest rates of suicide in the nation. A professor who has been studying suicide since her own sister took her life links it and other mental health problems to "model minority" identity pressures.
IPB Image
Eliza Noh

(WOMENSENEWS)--Eliza Noh received a call from her parents 16 years ago that she can never forget. They told her that her older sister had purchased a gun in their hometown of Houston and shot herself in the head.

As shocking as the news was, Noh said she and her family--of Korean and Vietnamese descent--also saw it coming.

Her sister, a junior at Houston Baptist University when she died, had attempted suicide before by cutting her wrists.

"Growing up in predominantly white schools in Texas, where Asian Americans were marginalized as model minorities and undesirable people, my sister dealt with body image problems," Noh said. "She hated looking Asian American."

Her sister underwent cosmetic surgery to have a European bridge put in her nose and eye-widening folds in her upper lids.

Her problems didn't ease with her change in appearance, however.

"She wrote an essay for an English class and got a B on the essay. When she inquired to her professor, he said he didn't give foreign students A's on English papers," said Noh, noting that she and her sister were born in the United States. "This is the kind of racism she would come up against. And that really depressed her."

When her sister took her life, Noh was a sophomore at Columbia University in New York. She decided then she'd dedicate her life to finding out why Asian American women commit suicide.

In 1998, Noh graduated with a doctorate in ethnic studies from the University of California, Berkeley, where she interviewed dozens of Asian American women who had attempted suicide or had overcome chronic depression.
Studying Survivors and Statistics

Now an assistant professor of Asian American studies at California State University at Fullerton, Noh continues her research today and says she is profoundly aware of the statistics surrounding her sister's death.

Asian American women between 15 and 24 had the highest number of suicides among all U.S. women in that age group in 2003, with about 3.5 deaths per 100,000 residents, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services reported in 2005. And Asian American females had the second highest rate of suicide in every other age group.

The women behind those numbers have shown up in the news.

In 2000 Elizabeth Shin, a 19-year-old Korean American, was found engulfed in flames in her dorm room at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in an apparent suicide. The death, later ruled an accident, followed previous suicide attempts.

Like Noh's sister, Shin began showing signs of a mental health crisis in high school. When Shin barely missed becoming her high school's valedictorian, she contemplated taking her life, USA Today reported in January 2002.

Many more Asian American women have had their private suffering exposed, including Iris Chang, the Chinese American author of the 1997 book "The Rape of Nanking," who in 2004 shot herself at the age of 36 after suffering long bouts of depression.

In New York Hejin Han, a 35-year-old Korean American, drove herself and two children over a cliff at Bear Mountain in June, in what police are calling a suicide. Later, police investigated her husband for allegedly neglecting her suicide threats and writing them off as idle.

Suicide is the 11th leading cause of death in the United States, outpacing homicides by a ratio of 3-to-2. In 2001, according to the National Institute of Mental Health, there were 20,308 homicides and 30,622 suicides across the nation.
Hazard Tied to Cultural Premise

The explanation for the problem of depression and suicide among Asian American women is often tied to a culture that health experts say pressures Asian Americans to succeed in all areas of life and is sometimes offered to explain why Asian Americans may outperform other racial groups in academics.

In May, for instance, New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof wrote about why Asian American children do well in U.S. schools: "Success goes to those whose ancestors came from the Confucian belt from Japan through Korea and China to Vietnam. If I am right, the success of Asian Americans is mostly about culture and there's no way to transplant culture."

Noh says the stereotype of Asian cultures being hard-wired for success creates a dangerous "model minority" image that can devastate Asian American women who don't meet unrealistic expectations.

In a portion of her research study to be published in next spring in Women and Therapy, a journal published out of Binghamton, N.Y., Noh argues that depression and suicide are linked to a model-minority myth that makes it difficult for Asian American women to accept their "flaws."

Asian American women attempt suicide more than Asian American men, Noh said. But because men use more fatal tactics, their suicide rate is higher.

Four men commit suicide for every woman, according to the National Institute of Mental Health, and in 2001, white males represented 73 percent of all deaths by suicide.

Historically, Noh said, Asian American women face conflicting sexual stereotypes that force many to juggle their identities between a seductive and treacherous dragon lady and the soft, lotus blossom character made famous by the century-old "Madame Butterfly" story, in which a submissive Japanese woman falls for a white man and commits suicide when she loses her love.
Affected by Female Image

"Many of my interviewees said they were affected by these dualistic images, either as hyper-sexualized and domineering, or passive and submissive," Noh said. These images, she said, combined with familial expectations, narrow the spectrum for Asian women's sense of identity and self-worth.

Several of the women Noh interviewed, for instance, told her that daughters were expected to take care of their families, and later, their own families, while it was assumed that someone would care for the sons.

"The son would be allowed to do anything," Noh said. "No curfew, no strict supervision."

While many women rebelled, others bottled up their feelings, never to explode but to ooze out in creeping depression.

"There was a lot of anger," Noh said.

Dr. Peter Yee, assistant executive director for behavioral health services at Hamilton-Madison House, a community agency in New York's Lower East Side, said that of the 1,000 patients his clinic sees each year, 60 percent are women.

He agrees that women face special social limitations and said that when women do enter the clinic, their mental health problems are likely to be more severe.

Asian "women have an extra burden to be dutiful daughters," Yee said. "If you don't go and get a husband, then you're a loser. The whole model minority thing is at stake."

Helen Zia, author of the 2000 book "Asian American Dreams: the Emergence of an American People" about the history of civil rights struggles of Asians in America, said the welfare of Asian American women is also at stake if health care providers succumb to stereotypes of Asian women.

"We have a phenomenon where people are actually ill," Zia said. "People are ignoring that and using culture as an excuse not to recognize, or diagnose or treat."

Malena Amusa, from St. Louis, Mo., is a freelance journalist.
and this is what happens when you love the white cock too much

i don't even feel any pity for any of these biatches

useless_person
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by useless_person » September 22nd, 2006, 8:19 am

I'm sorry, but I can't read that all...

Can you rephrase it to me in one paragraph if not one sentance???

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » September 22nd, 2006, 8:29 am

What the hell.... :roll:

BxxMILITIA
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BxxMILITIA » September 23rd, 2006, 9:46 pm

^^^^^LOL :o , THATS EXACTLY WUT IM THINKIN.....WOW :lol:

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » September 23rd, 2006, 9:52 pm

Anybody that murders themselves over a 'B' letter grade deserves to die and rot anyway... I feel no pity for her.

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » September 23rd, 2006, 10:41 pm

BlaKK wrote:Anybody that murders themselves over a 'B' letter grade deserves to die and rot anyway... I feel no pity for her.
can't forget she was acting like a silly hoe cuz she didn't have that many caucasian facial features on her face

BxxMILITIA
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BxxMILITIA » September 23rd, 2006, 10:54 pm

BE PROUD OF WHO N WUT U R,ILL NEVA PUT NO FUCKIN BRIDGE ON MY NOSE :? , SHE HAD SUM SERIOUS ISSUES, I THINK IT GOES PAST HER HATRED OF BEIN ASIAN, SHE WUZ PROBABLY F*KED UP IN the HEAD IF U KNO WUT I MEAN...

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » September 23rd, 2006, 11:39 pm

I am just shocked that this came from you Tyrant.

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » September 23rd, 2006, 11:40 pm

BxxMILITIA wrote:BE PROUD OF WHO N WUT U R,ILL NEVA PUT NO FUCKIN BRIDGE ON MY NOSE :? , SHE HAD SUM SERIOUS ISSUES, I THINK IT GOES PAST HER HATRED OF BEIN ASIAN, SHE WUZ PROBABLY F*KED UP IN the HEAD IF U KNO WUT I MEAN...
gyea lots of asian females fukced in the head like that

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » September 24th, 2006, 3:00 pm

yeah, I see this shit alot, asian women hating on they people and sel (wanting to be white), whats with that shit? Why don't they love themselves?

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » September 24th, 2006, 3:06 pm

Tyrant wrote:
BlaKK wrote:Anybody that murders themselves over a 'B' letter grade deserves to die and rot anyway... I feel no pity for her.
can't forget she was acting like a silly hoe because she didn't have that many caucasian facial features on her face
Because she did not have enough caucasion facial matters? See, I hope she died a tortuous death...

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » September 24th, 2006, 3:16 pm

BlaKK wrote:
Tyrant wrote:
can't forget she was acting like a silly hoe because she didn't have that many caucasian facial features on her face
Because she did not have enough caucasion facial matters? See, I hope she died a tortuous death...
I think the silly bitch just blew her head open with a bullet.

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » September 24th, 2006, 3:24 pm

The bullet should have gotten stuck in her cranium, so her brain would swell, and leak slowly. Stupid ho... She is right there with lucifer as we type.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » September 24th, 2006, 11:50 pm

LOL I WILL NEVER TALK OVER DEAD PEOPLE WHO KNOWS THEY MIGHT HAUNT U ....BUT ONE THING IS SURE EVERYRACE HAVE THEIR ''UNCLE TOM'' A LIL BIT OF SILICONE IN THE NOSE A LIL CUT AROUND HER EYES AND A TRIP TO JACKSON 'S PERSONAL PSY MAY HAVE SPARE HER A BULLET ...

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » September 25th, 2006, 12:16 am

I WILL NEVER TALK OVER DEAD PEOPLE WHO KNOWS THEY MIGHT HAUNT U

Trey
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Trey » September 25th, 2006, 12:29 am

i have no respect for asians that want to be white or whatever.. houston has a huge asian community.. shoulda stuck with ur own kind..

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » September 25th, 2006, 12:34 am

I have no respect for anyone who tries to be something that their not....but I dont wish bad things on them like some people are talking up in here.

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » September 25th, 2006, 5:24 am

Man I have seen a lot of Asian women hate on Asian men. They would walk around with their
"trophy" White boyfriends and show off infront of Asian men and stuff.

One time this ignorant Asian girl (Could not tell her Nationality) saw my Filipino male friend standing in front of a restaurant eating something while talking on his cellphone.

So she grabs her White boyfriend's hand and motion him to start making out infront of my friend! While they are kissing, she kept giving him dirty glances while they are at it. She had a smirk on her face afterwards.

Until a beautiful Black girl came out of the store and hugged my Filipino friend and kissed him!
The Asian b1tch figured out the Filipino dude was in love with a Black girl and, sorry to say but "Miss Swan" ended up red faced and left the premises quickly with her "trophy" White boyfriend. lol.

I was sitting in my car watching this with amusement.

It seems like some Asian women just date White men to get to Asian men lol.

SniperSVD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SniperSVD » September 25th, 2006, 6:54 am

i have no respect for asians that want to be white or whatever.. houston has a huge asian community.. shoulda stuck with ur own kind..
this shit sounds so ignorant, people are making it out to look like if any one is doing something to brighten their future make a safe living situation for their off spring,, woo woo wopta wham... this shit is silly and is what will keep ya'll opressed for generations to come.

useless_person
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by useless_person » September 25th, 2006, 8:44 am

What the hell???

She commited suicide over that bullcrap?!

B grade is better than my average. I got an average little over 50 percent in grade 7.

What the hell is this? :shock:

useless_person
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by useless_person » September 25th, 2006, 8:46 am

Must be a new phobia. Afriad to get a B. It's school, the stupid teacher gave her a B, and she commited suicide. This means I won't ever get over my fear of...

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » September 25th, 2006, 12:35 pm

SniperSVD wrote:
this shit sounds so ignorant, people are making it out to look like if any one is doing something to brighten their future make a safe living situation for their off spring,, woo woo wopta wham... this shit is silly and is what will keep ya'll opressed for generations to come.
but it's not that. go to a college campus, not to be stereotypical but most of the asians are doing well, but they are split. There are the Asians from Asia who love and embrace their culture, and there are the Asians who ride white dick. Doing well and being smart has nothing to do with being white, but shooting yourself because you are so fustrated that god made you an "inferior" race is pure insanity. Whites have pretty much kicked everyones ass on the planet, some way before others but why do you think there is a big difference in how races react to whites, and their culture? Like why do you think blacks purposefully act the opposite and are the most aggressive, while it seems like a lot of Asians are assimilating into white culture?

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » September 25th, 2006, 1:21 pm

My campus is 60% Asian American... Most of them are females, I usually don't fuck with Asian broads, but most of the ladys on campus can definitely be on the team.

useless_person
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by useless_person » September 25th, 2006, 5:05 pm

George wrote:Man I have seen a lot of Asian women hate on Asian men. They would walk around with their

One time this ignorant Asian girl (Could not tell her Nationality) saw my Filipino male friend standing in front of a restaurant eating something while talking on his cellphone.

So she grabs her White boyfriend's hand and motion him to start making out infront of my friend! While they are kissing, she kept giving him dirty glances while they are at it. She had a smirk on her face afterwards.

Until a beautiful Black girl came out of the store and hugged my Filipino friend and kissed him!
The Asian b1tch figured out the Filipino dude was in love with a Black girl and, sorry to say but "Miss Swan" ended up red faced and left the premises quickly with her "trophy" White boyfriend. lol.

Yes. Of course. Georgina!

Oh man remember all those times you argued and fought with Chen?

Yes, it was all too damn funny for me hehe... :wink: :lol:

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » September 26th, 2006, 10:08 pm

George wrote:Man I have seen a lot of Asian women hate on Asian men. They would walk around with their

I tend to notice that them asian girls that use white boys as trophies are the uglier ones. The white boys in those relationships are usually the type that have bad game too.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » September 26th, 2006, 10:21 pm

but I've seen fine ass asian girls that only fuck with white dudes, but they practically are white. Dress white, live in white neighborhood, talk white, make fun of their own culture, etc.

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » September 26th, 2006, 11:03 pm

perongregory wrote:but I've seen fine ass asian girls that only fu-- with white dudes, but they practically are white. Dress white, live in white neighborhood, talk white, make fun of their own culture, etc.
I've only seen 1-2 like that.

blue eyed devil
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blue eyed devil » September 26th, 2006, 11:32 pm

Whites have pretty much kicked everyones ass on the planet, some way before others but why do you think there is a big difference in how races react to whites, and their culture? Like why do you think blacks purposefully act the opposite and are the most aggressive, while it seems like a lot of Asians are assimilating into white culture
Reason: Asians were never essentially enslaved by the Whites. When the Whites were in India, theyre was already a slave caste inplace that had been there long before any White man imposed British culture onto the Indians.
The Orientals were taken over an exploited, due to Western Superiority..An once the Japs clicked on they became the overlord of Asia.
The Chinese have a long history an Apart from imperial powers an the Mongols, they mainly fought themselves.

Where as you Blacks got the short end of the stick right throughout history..

The Arabs had enslaved Blacks LONG before any continental European, an thats where the slave traders got the idea..

So Orientals arent as hostile because i dont belive theres as much animosity..

Whereas we dont need to be hostile to anyone (history wise) because its been a long time since anyone got a foothold in Europe. Except for Turks, but they were the sick man of Europe.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » September 26th, 2006, 11:39 pm

there were a few groupswho got into Europe...Africans from all regions were not enslaved, and the thing is the Arabs didn't colonize the African states during or after their slave trade like the Europeans went on to do. I hate to say it, but I think the Asians are very sneaky, they def. have some plan.

blue eyed devil
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blue eyed devil » September 26th, 2006, 11:53 pm

perongregory wrote:there were a few groupswho got into Europe...Africans from all regions were not enslaved, and the thing is the Arabs didn't colonize the African states during or after their slave trade like the Europeans went on to do. I hate to say it, but I think the Asians are very sneaky, they def. have some plan.
If the Arabs had been the first to industrialize an discover the Americas then the Arab-Black slave trade would been on par with the White-Imperial slave trade..

Yep the Orientals are a sneaky bunch, most likely to make Australia an canada theirs..Or perhaps Africa, well they own everything, an are starting to move there..(Africa)

BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » September 27th, 2006, 2:16 pm

A stereotypical Asian Household puts education, wealth, and social status as the mainstay of their existence. The pressure Asian parents put on their kids to get "A's" in school is tremendous. I don't expect anyone outside of an Asian household to understand the mentality. Most Asians want their kids to become successful (especially when they are not) and to be your own boss.

You never see any Asian parents lettting their kids hang out on the porch or corner liquor store, putting them in sports programs, or encouraging them to rap or sing. They want you to be a doctor, lawyer...anything important. Most Asians have a class system within their own race.

So what might seem "stupid" to you, is very important to them. The color of rag is life and death for you, but to an Asian, it's something they wipe their boogers with. So different mentalities right there.

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » September 27th, 2006, 3:24 pm

BIG DUSTY LOCO wrote:A stereotypical Asian Household puts education, wealth, and social status as the mainstay of their existence. The pressure Asian parents put on their kids to get "A's" in school is tremendous. I don't expect anyone outside of an Asian household to understand the mentality. Most Asians want their kids to become successful (especially when they are not) and to be your own boss.

You never see any Asian parents lettting their kids hang out on the porch or corner liquor store, putting them in sports programs, or encouraging them to rap or sing. They want you to be a doctor, lawyer...anything important. Most Asians have a class system within their own race.

So what might seem "stupid" to you, is very important to them. The color of rag is life and death for you, but to an Asian, it's something they wipe their boogers with. So different mentalities right there.

Asian parents tend to forget people need social skills and a desire to dominate too in order to play the role of boss. Locking kid up all day in a house isn't going to make that happen.