Question about film "Duke Of Earl"

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento

Question about film "Duke Of Earl"

Unread post by StillNoScript » March 27th, 2005, 2:20 am

Someone mentioned this movie in the 'Mexican Gang Movies' thread. I was wondering how many of you have seen it, and if it's worth buying on the net, which is the only place I know of where I can get it.

This movie is rare as hell. None of the big film info websites have anything on it; Searches come up empty. I know the movie exists, however, cause there's a few different people selling it on the web from different locations around the globe.

It's supposed to be about Mexican gangs in San Jose, Ca, in the late '70s.

If any of you know rather it's worth the shipping, or if it's garbage, let me know. Thanks.

PREACH
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Question about film "Duke Of Earl"

Unread post by PREACH » May 7th, 2005, 2:30 pm

i heard alot about this movie when i was a youngster. but i never got to see it. im on the look out for a copy myself.

julialee
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by julialee » May 8th, 2005, 11:25 pm

I remember that Movie.If its the same one, i dont think theres another one with the same title and same story.Actually its a Christian Movie about gang life and how some of the characters are saved.They showed it on a Christian program on TBN called "Treasures Out Of Darkness" back in the 70's and early 80's, it was a program that used to help alot of gangbangers, drug addicts, Etc.They took that show off a long time ago.It was a pretty good show even if you werent saved.Sometimes the still show it at churches aroun LA.You might have a better chance of finding it
maybe on a christian website or bookstore.:-)

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by StillNoScript » May 26th, 2005, 1:00 pm

julialee wrote:I remember that Movie.If its the same one, i dont think theres another one with the same title and same story.Actually its a Christian Movie about gang life and how some of the characters are saved.They showed it on a Christian program on TBN called "Treasures Out Of Darkness" back in the 70's and early 80's, it was a program that used to help alot of gangbangers, drug addicts, Etc.They took that show off a long time ago.It was a pretty good show even if you werent saved.Sometimes the still show it at churches aroun LA.You might have a better chance of finding it
maybe on a christian website or bookstore.:-)
So, it's similar to the play from victory outreach? I was to understand this was completely different.

Was the movie's plot based in San Jose? That's the one a couple of people are selling on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

See if this is the one your talking about. This one is rated, "R", so it sais.

julialee
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by julialee » May 27th, 2005, 3:27 am

I think thats the one based on the victory outreach play.I dont remember any other movie about gangs with the same name coming out at the same time.Its been awhile since ive seen it but I would say that the movie would have had an "R" rating even for a christian movie.They kept it real in the movie.I would buy it.It mentioned "Boulevard Nights" on there, thats another good movie.The actor who played Chuco (Danny De La Paz) on there played Puppet in American Me.

julialee
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by julialee » May 29th, 2005, 2:19 am

I went to the victory outreach site and found a link for the Duke of Earl Movie.

http://www.victoryoutreach.org/visionou ... spx?ID=473

Unfortunately it doesn't give a detailed discription or a rating.But im pretty sure its the same one.Either way even if it isn't, i remember this one and its a good movie, well worth purchasing.Im going to purchase this when i get a chance.Its a very touching Movie.Hope this helps a little bit:-)

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by StillNoScript » June 1st, 2005, 1:52 am

Thank you; I appreciate the info.

I'm probably going to just pick it up on ebay along with Boulevard Nights; Another movie that's impossible to find.

julialee
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by julialee » June 1st, 2005, 9:56 pm

YW :-) I had a bootleg copy of Boulevbard nights but my son loaned it out and we never got it back.Now I cant find the movie anymore.

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by StillNoScript » June 3rd, 2005, 12:15 am

julialee wrote:YW :-) I had a bootleg copy of Boulevbard nights but my son loaned it out and we never got it back.Now I cant find the movie anymore.
I'd f**king kill the person who took it! Lol. I'm joking.

But, that movie is so rare now that it certainly is a loss. I think the lowest price for a used one on Amazon is around 50 bucks, last I checked. I think the ebay one is pretty cheap, but it's a home-made DVD remaster. As discouraging as that sounds, DVD burns actually do come out good, if it's burned from a good quality VHS taping.

What I've noticed in recent years is that usually when a movie goes out of print, and the demand raises to the point where people are spending 50 dollars on it; The major studio that owns the rights to it re-releases it on the double. They'll be damned if they're not going to get into the action while a bunch of mom and pops video store owners are making a killing off of it.

So, my prediction: Look out for that special edition Blvd. Nights DVD to hit the shelves soon!

julialee
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by julialee » June 4th, 2005, 2:20 am

lmao. I felt like smackin my son for loanin it lol J/k.
It is rare and that would be cool for it to be released as a special edition.I would buy it, that movie reminds me of back in the days:-).I only payed $5 for the bootleg so its wasnt a big loss in monetary terms but damm now I can't find it.I keep asking so maybe i'll run into it.I might go take a look at Blockbuster too, sometimes they have a good selection of used DVD's too.:-).

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: SJ

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » September 10th, 2005, 11:18 am

I have DUKE OF EARL, and DUKE OF EARL 2 (a play). I like Duke of Earl. I know some of it was filmed in SJ. It is based on a true story. I'm from SJ, and seeing this movie makes me want to know more about the real story. I'm going to sell DUKE of EARL, it is one of those bootlegs from ebay. It only plays good on certain DVD players. DUKE of EARL was released on VHS, and DVD-R.

julialee
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by julialee » September 11th, 2005, 1:35 am

MMRbkaRudog wrote:I have DUKE OF EARL, and DUKE OF EARL 2 (a play). I like Duke of Earl. I know some of it was filmed in SJ. It is based on a true story. I'm from SJ, and seeing this movie makes me want to know more about the real story. I'm going to sell DUKE of EARL, it is one of those bootlegs from ebay. It only plays good on certain DVD players. DUKE of EARL was released on VHS, and DVD-R.

Me too.Its like so many stories we hear or now about the streets.
Let us know when you plan to sell your DVD's , i might be interested if I dont find it by then.:-)

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » September 26th, 2005, 2:10 pm

I would have responded sooner, but for some reason I have problems using this website on my computer. Hit me at: moneymakingrec@aol.com

andrew
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by andrew » December 12th, 2006, 6:06 pm

the LA version of cross and the switchblade

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » December 12th, 2006, 11:12 pm

andrew wrote:the LA version of cross and the switchblade
This movie isn't about LA!

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » December 13th, 2006, 1:01 am

i recently seen the movie The Duke Of Earl for the first time , interesting

movie but i think , Blvd. Nights was better .

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » December 13th, 2006, 2:45 pm

Is there a soundtrack for this? I like the songs on it, and I want to get them.