Giving the word Nigger or nigga to much power!

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
X-TribalSoldier
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Giving the word Nigger or nigga to much power!

Unread post by X-TribalSoldier » February 19th, 2004, 3:04 pm

Asanti brothers and sisters, I think that we as African-Americans have given this word too much power. The word is exactly that........a word and we allowed it to demorilize us weither than just dismiss it much like we would dismiss being called a "homosexual" or a "oreo" we as the oppressed can only empower the oppressor by absorbing the oppressors phsychological tatics of empowerment over a race of people of which it knows is far superior to him. We don't get mad at some slurs thrown at us because we know that we are not whatever slur is being directed twards us. In regards to the term "Nigga" we actually dont have a true definition for the word, we don't even know what it means, whites dont either but they figured if this term could demoralize a group of people as we demorilize them, then this term will stick, thus giving the demoralized group of people a name. Do we use words to demoralize whites, latino's etc.? Yes we do but the reason we get no backlash is because we are the only one's who beleive ourselves to be "niggers". It's totally insane because we have basically adopted a name that was branded on us to associate us with the treatment we recieved throughtout the history of our existance in Euro-america. Have you ever heard a white supremist refer to one of his own as a "nigger"? Yes because the term is used to demoralize period and we as New Africans must no longer empower this word.
Last edited by X-TribalSoldier on March 11th, 2004, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

sexy365
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Giving the word Nigger or nigga to much power!

Unread post by sexy365 » February 23rd, 2004, 2:07 pm

YOU ARE RIGHT MY BROTHA.

mickgreen58
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by mickgreen58 » February 23rd, 2004, 2:48 pm

.....I still dont want to be called one.

- Mike G.

blakman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blakman » March 10th, 2004, 10:45 pm

COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE MY BROTHA...PEACE

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » March 11th, 2004, 3:37 pm

I looked up the word I never use at Miriam-Webster and they have the following definition. Now note the part where it says "it now ranks as perhaps the most offensive and inflammatory racial slur in English.. it is otherwise a word expressive of racial hatred and bigotry."

This just points out what we already know really from our own experiences. In that light, I'd have to agree with X-TribalSoldier. Maybe it's just time to let the word and it's permutations go once and for all.

Main Entry: nig·ger
Pronunciation: 'ni-g&r
Function: noun
Etymology: alteration of earlier neger, from Middle French negre, from Spanish or Portuguese negro, from negro black, from Latin niger
1 usually offensive, see usage paragraph below : a black person
2 usually offensive, see usage paragraph below : a member of any dark-skinned race
3 : a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons
usage Nigger in senses 1 and 2 can be found in the works of such writers of the past as Joseph Conrad, Mark Twain, and Charles Dickens, but it now ranks as perhaps the most offensive and inflammatory racial slur in English. Its use by and among blacks is not always intended or taken as offensive, but, except in sense 3, it is otherwise a word expressive of racial hatred and bigotry.

Conman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Conman » March 12th, 2004, 3:27 pm

X-TribalSoldier wrote:Asanti brothers and sisters, I think that we as African-Americans have given this word too much power. The word is exactly that........a word and we allowed it to demorilize us weither than just dismiss it much like we would dismiss being called a "homosexual" or a "oreo" we as the oppressed can only empower the oppressor by absorbing the oppressors phsychological tatics of empowerment over a race of people of which it knows is far superior to him. We don't get mad at some slurs thrown at us because we know that we are not whatever slur is being directed twards us. In regards to the term "Nigga" we actually dont have a true definition for the word, we don't even know what it means, whites dont either but they figured if this term could demoralize a group of people as we demorilize them, then this term will stick, thus giving the demoralized group of people a name. Do we use words to demoralize whites, latino's etc.? Yes we do but the reason we get no backlash is because we are the only one's who beleive ourselves to be "niggers". It's totally insane because we have basically adopted a name that was branded on us to associate us with the treatment we recieved throughtout the history of our existance in Euro-america. Have you ever heard a white supremist refer to one of his own as a "nigger"? Yes because the term is used to demoralize period and we as New Africans must no longer empower this word.
^^^^^^^^

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » March 21st, 2004, 9:41 pm

X-TribalSoldier wrote: In regards to the term "Nigga" we actually dont have a true definition for the word, we don't even know what it means,

From what I remember. I think this word originated from the Spaniards.
When slaves were taken along the Niger (Nye-jer) River, the Spanish traders referred to the people as Nigers. When you pronounce the letter i in spanish, it sounds like (ih), so Nijer started to sound like Nigger, and so you have it.

X-TribalSoldier
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by X-TribalSoldier » March 22nd, 2004, 1:35 pm

You are absolutely right brother I beleive the word originated from the Spainards as well. It makes since to take someone's actuall identity from them and use it as a weapon against them. Diabolical and evil genius from the almighty anglosaxons.

Amsterdam
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Amsterdam » May 5th, 2004, 10:12 am

lol...well i'm a nigga and proud of it!!!! The nigga word has now become like the smurf language. R u smurfin?(it can mean almost anything)

0036double
If in the United States: Maine
What city do you live in now?: be

Unread post by 0036double » December 5th, 2011, 7:26 am

that word has as much power as "bitch & fag" does. its only offensive if you make it. which is why people should get over it. who made it cool for girls to call each other bitches any way?

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » December 10th, 2011, 2:04 am

X-TribalSoldier wrote:You are absolutely right brother I beleive the word originated from the Spainards as well. It makes since to take someone's actuall identity from them and use it as a weapon against them. Diabolical and evil genius from the almighty anglosaxons.
Spaniards aren't anglo-saxons but get your point.