Copying black culture????

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
johnnnny
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Copying black culture????

Unread post by johnnnny » April 3rd, 2007, 6:17 am

i dont understand it what does that mean when someone says, hey you your copying black culture? Could someone expand it for me?

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Re: Copying black culture????

Unread post by 'X' » April 3rd, 2007, 7:09 am

johnnnny wrote:i dont understand it what does that mean when someone says, hey you your copying black culture? Could someone expand it for me?

Haven't you scanned through this site?

johnnnny
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by johnnnny » April 3rd, 2007, 7:45 am

'X' wrote:
johnnnny wrote:i dont understand it what does that mean when someone says, hey you your copying black culture? Could someone expand it for me?

ok ok you got me, but cmon half these threads are special people arguing over who has the most street cred.... and half the threads dont even stay on topic

so if anyone can explain it to me, this is where to post it at

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » April 3rd, 2007, 1:05 pm

johnnnny wrote:
ok ok you got me, but cmon half these threads are special people arguing over who has the most street cred.... and half the threads dont even stay on topic[/quote]

true

king phoenix
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by king phoenix » April 3rd, 2007, 5:36 pm

'X' wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » April 3rd, 2007, 10:53 pm

As far as what?

Basically mostly everything from speech, to dress to music

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » April 7th, 2007, 1:03 pm

black as in what? thats too vague black dont really just stand for black americans but a pool of other blacks, things created by blacks on a cultural standpoint.

R&B, JAZZ, BLUES, we have particular styles of dress, just like many gays have their style of dress, and various ways we wear our hair

king phoenix
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by king phoenix » April 9th, 2007, 4:03 pm

100 wrote:
black as in what? thats too vague black dont really just stand for black americans but a pool of other blacks, things created by blacks on a cultural standpoint.

R&B, JAZZ, BLUES, we have particular styles of dress, just like many gays have their style of dress, and various ways we wear our hair
i disagree! i think that black culture means African American culture! becuase i dont see alot of Africans wearing timbs and baggy jeans! and that dont make them any less black! but the funny thing is most "black" culture derives from negativity! the way we call each other nigga!, the baggy clthes that started in jail!, the bad vocab! to me it just seems that black people may be admired for the way they took a bad situation and made the best of it, thats why people want to be down! in a way the "black gangsta" is the modern day cowboy!

Odog
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Odog » April 10th, 2007, 7:05 am

king phoenix wrote:
100 wrote:

i disagree! i think that black culture means African American culture! becuase i dont see alot of Africans wearing timbs and baggy jeans! and that dont make them any less black! but the funny thing is most "black" culture derives from negativity! the way we call each other nigga!, the baggy clthes that started in jail!, the bad vocab! to me it just seems that black people may be admired for the way they took a bad situation and made the best of it, thats why people want to be down! in a way the "black gangsta" is the modern day cowboy!
I agree on that.Same thing with the tattoo's i heard in America.

oXJmAuPs2005Xo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oXJmAuPs2005Xo » April 11th, 2007, 7:40 pm

i myself i guess am described as a whigger or wigga according to maybe some racist people but really white kids and identifying with black american culture isnt out of the normal none of my black freinds i have look down upon for who and what i am?

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » April 11th, 2007, 8:15 pm

its not "copying black culture" its "living the hip hop culture". do you look at black kids who skateboard and listen to punk and say "they're copying white culture!" no. however people express themselvs, is them being who they want to be. they're not copying anything. allthough many people are "posers" and copy a style, but the majority dont.

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » April 11th, 2007, 8:30 pm

se11 wrote:its not "copying black culture" its "living the hip hop culture"

LOL!!

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » April 11th, 2007, 8:44 pm

What are we 5 yrs old? "Stop copying me!!!!" LOL......come on!!!!!

Shox112
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Shox112 » April 11th, 2007, 8:45 pm

do you look at black kids who skateboard and listen to punk and say "they're copying white culture!" no.

YOU FORGOT TO MENTION SKATEBOARDING AND SURFING IS HAWAIIAN IN ORIGIN...

AND BLACK PEOPLE STARTED ROCCC PERIOD... DONT FORGET ABOUT LIL' RICHARD AND Jackie Brenston

Shox112
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Shox112 » April 11th, 2007, 8:49 pm

Chrissy black ppl wouldnt be as offended if the establishment would at least give us a little more credit than they do and it will be really illogical to think that cultures wont ever rub off across color lines but it becomes a problem when the origins are IGNORED for the sake or diluting the adopted culture. If one is a participant in a certain culture YOU SHOULD EMBRACE IT AS A WHOLE not just parts that seem to be cool

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » April 11th, 2007, 8:54 pm

Shox112 wrote:
Chrissy black ppl wouldnt be as offended if the establishment would at least give us a little more credit than they do and it will be really illogical to think that cultures wont ever rub off across color lines but it becomes a problem when the origins are IGNORED for the sake or diluting the adopted culture. If one is a participant in a certain culture YOU SHOULD EMBRACE IT AS A WHOLE not just parts that seem to be cool
I dont see why its so important what credit the "establishment" gives it. Just let people do what they do, be who they wanna be and embrace what they want to embrace be it in whole or part. And do your own damn thing you know?

Shox112
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Shox112 » April 11th, 2007, 9:06 pm

DATS TRUE IN ALL BUT PEOPLE CANT SIMPLY DO THAT AS LONG AS THERE IS IGNORANCE AND RACISM...

FOR EXAMPLE, WHY IS IT STILL FROWNED UPON WHEN SOMEONE WEARS BRAIDS, DREADS, OR AN AFRO IN ANY TIME OF FORMAL ENVIRONMENT...IT IS A CULTURAL STATEMENT AND THE PERSON IS "DOING THERE OWN THING"... ITS BECAUSE THERE IS A CONNATION BEHIND IT...

ITS OKAY FOR MIDEASTERNERS TO WEAR TURBANS EVERYWHERE, AND OF COURSE JEWS AND AMISH WHENEVER THEY WEAR THEIR RELIGIOUS ATTIRE, WHICH IS INDEED CULTURAL...

BUT SEEMS THAT ITS A PROBLEM WHEN blacks EMBRACE THEIR CULTURE...

the ESTABLISHMENT NEED TO HELP TO RECOGNIZE THESE DIFFERENCES BECAUSE AS LONG AS THEY DONT IGNORANCE WOULD CONTINUE TO GROW PREVELANT. Black CULTURE, LATINO CULTURE, NATIVE AMERICAN, ASIAN, ETC CULTURE ARE VITAL PARTS OF THE AMERICAN CULTURE AS JUST AS the MAINSTREAM AMERICAN CULTURE...

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » April 11th, 2007, 9:12 pm

I would not frown upon dreads in a formal setting, would you? I think if more people would just mind there own business regarding a persons personal preferences concerning dress and cultural choices we would be alot better off on the whole. I mean....I dont care what you wear.

Shox112 wrote:DATS TRUE IN ALL BUT PEOPLE CANT SIMPLY DO THAT AS LONG AS THERE IS IGNORANCE AND RACISM...

FOR EXAMPLE, WHY IS IT STILL FROWNED UPON WHEN SOMEONE WEARS BRAIDS, DREADS, OR AN AFRO IN ANY TIME OF FORMAL ENVIRONMENT...IT IS A CULTURAL STATEMENT AND THE PERSON IS "DOING THERE OWN THING"... ITS BECAUSE THERE IS A CONNATION BEHIND IT...

ITS OKAY FOR MIDEASTERNERS TO WEAR TURBANS EVERYWHERE, AND OF COURSE JEWS AND AMISH WHENEVER THEY WEAR THEIR RELIGIOUS ATTIRE, WHICH IS INDEED CULTURAL...

BUT SEEMS THAT ITS A PROBLEM WHEN blacks EMBRACE THEIR CULTURE...

the ESTABLISHMENT NEED TO HELP TO RECOGNIZE THESE DIFFERENCES BECAUSE AS LONG AS THEY DONT IGNORANCE WOULD CONTINUE TO GROW PREVELANT. Black CULTURE, LATINO CULTURE, NATIVE AMERICAN, ASIAN, ETC CULTURE ARE VITAL PARTS OF THE AMERICAN CULTURE AS JUST AS the MAINSTREAM AMERICAN CULTURE...

Shox112
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Shox112 » April 11th, 2007, 9:13 pm

New postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I would not frown upon dreads in a formal setting, would you? I think if more people would just mind there own business regarding a persons personal preferences concerning dress and cultural choices we would be alot better off on the whole. I mean....I dont care what you wear.
I DONT, HELL I DONT EVEN HAVE DREADS, BUT UNFORTUNATELY PPL DO

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » April 11th, 2007, 9:21 pm

Shox112 wrote:
New postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I DONT, HELL I DONT EVEN HAVE DREADS, BUT UNFORTUNATELY PPL DO

I mean come on.....there are settings that some things are just not appropriate form such as at the work place. You know? Such is life. But what it comes down to basically is using your own discretion as to what is innapropriate or not. But anyways.....back on topic.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » April 11th, 2007, 9:22 pm

Shox112 wrote:FOR EXAMPLE, WHY IS IT STILL FROWNED UPON WHEN SOMEONE WEARS BRAIDS, DREADS, OR AN AFRO IN ANY TIME OF FORMAL ENVIRONMENT...IT IS A CULTURAL STATEMENT AND THE PERSON IS "DOING THERE OWN THING"... ITS BECAUSE THERE IS A CONNATION BEHIND IT.
I see that all the time, just because someone has their hair braided all of a sudden people think that person is a "thug"

Qdawg posted an article about the Baltimore police banning braided hair.

If a white woman can put her hair in a braid, why cant a black male, or female officer do the same?

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » April 11th, 2007, 9:33 pm

Shox112 wrote:do you look at black kids who skateboard and listen to punk and say "they're copying white culture!" no.

YOU FORGOT TO MENTION SKATEBOARDING AND SURFING IS HAWAIIAN IN ORIGIN...

AND BLACK PEOPLE STARTED ROCCC PERIOD... DONT FORGET ABOUT LIL' RICHARD AND Jackie Brenston
you get my point, stop being stupid. and do you really want a bunch of little kid posers going around copying what black people do because its the "in" thing for the year?

oXJmAuPs2005Xo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oXJmAuPs2005Xo » April 12th, 2007, 12:46 am

i think that hiphop is a really positive creative things black folk have invented and practiced i love it with all my heart

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » April 13th, 2007, 1:43 am

[quote="A Ghost"][quote="Shox112"]FOR EXAMPLE, WHY IS IT STILL FROWNED UPON WHEN SOMEONE WEARS BRAIDS, DREADS, OR AN AFRO IN ANY TIME OF FORMAL ENVIRONMENT...IT IS A CULTURAL STATEMENT AND THE PERSON IS "DOING THERE OWN THING"... ITS BECAUSE THERE IS A CONNATION BEHIND IT.[/quote]

I see that all the time, just because someone has their hair braided all of a sudden people think that person is a "thug"

If a white woman can put her hair in a braid, why cant a black male, or female officer do the same?[/quote]

good question ghost

oXJmAuPs2005Xo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oXJmAuPs2005Xo » April 13th, 2007, 1:45 am

who would make having braids illegal thats one of the most stupidest racist things i have ever heard.

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » April 13th, 2007, 1:59 am

[quote="oXJmAuPs2005Xo"]who would make having braids illegal thats one of the most stupidest racist things i have ever heard.[/quote]

Police Appearance Policy Raises Racial Sensitivity Issues

BALTIMORE -- The WBAL TV 11 News I-Team has obtained a new professional appearance policy for the Baltimore Police Department intended to promote a professional image, but it's also raising questions of racial insensitivity.

The new policy is more specific than the old one. For example, tattoos must now be kept covered.

However, the questions surround an issue that's been batted around the courts and company workplace policies for several years -- hairstyle.

"We just felt that over the years, some officers have taken advantage of the old general order and are not presenting themselves, while in uniform to the public, in the most professional manner possible," said Matt Jablow, spokesman for the Baltimore Police Department.

Like the old policy, the new one governs hair length, jewelry, mustaches and beards, but it also added a new standard -- extreme, or "fad," hairstyles are prohibited, including cornrows, mohawks, dreadlocks, and twists.

Three of the four hairstyles banned are almost exclusively used by blacks.

"I think it's incredibly insensitive," said Taunya Banks, a professor at the University of Maryland School of Law. "I'm really kind of concerned about labeling as faddish a practice that's not faddish at all, and what appears to be a targeting of black officers."

Banks said the policy seems to ignore the differences in hair texture between blacks and whites and may affect black female officers more than men.

"What they're saying to a woman is either she has to wear her hair short in an Afro, which is no longer stylish, or she's going to have to chemically straighten her hair," she said.

"We do not think it's racially insensitive. It's not intended to be racially insensitive," Jablow said.

Department officials said they consulted with the Black Officers' Organization in forming the policy.

It will go into effect on Jan. 1, the same time as Baltimore swears in its first female black mayor. Sheila Dixon said Tuesday she's aware of the new policy and supports it.

"I think there is an appropriateness one needs to have, and if that's the policy of the police department, then one has to come in compliance," Dixon said.

Earlier this year, 11 News reported that there's less diversity in the leadership ranks of the police department now than 10 years ago.

Deputy major is the highest rank held by a black woman in the department, and only two women hold that position.

viewtopic.php?t=16456&sid=561fffc522194 ... 219babe46e

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » April 13th, 2007, 4:00 pm

hip hop cutlure in my head is black cutlure.
somethin that YO - B character needs to get off

man if u ain black or u mixed up stay off black people shit dont copy us..coz if this was 50 years ago ud prly be hangin us...

i was watchin some show late at nite ... some dumb old schoo white folk shit ...anywayz they was talkin about puttin the powder in bitches faces makes them look whiter which is better and all that....now to think buot it all white grlz wana do jst 30 years later is go tannin tryna look darker

i hate other races copying our shit........change how u talk, walk ,dress u ain neva gon change ur skin color or how corny and uncle tom ur parents are

oXJmAuPs2005Xo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oXJmAuPs2005Xo » April 13th, 2007, 8:12 pm

ouch

oXJmAuPs2005Xo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oXJmAuPs2005Xo » April 13th, 2007, 8:13 pm

damn i dont know what other to say then that was straight to the point

relentless

Unread post by relentless » April 13th, 2007, 9:23 pm

Mcminister wrote:hip hop cutlure in my head is black cutlure.
man if u ain black or u mixed up stay off black people shit dont copy us..coz if this was 50 years ago ud prly be hangin us...
Real talk, except for that "mixed up" stuff. If you don't identify with black, you need to get up off that shit, PERIOD!
i was watchin some show late at nite ... some dumb old schoo white folk shit ...anywayz they was talkin about puttin the powder in women faces makes them look whiter which is better and all that....now to think buot it all white grlz wana do jst 30 years later is go tannin tryna look darker
True, but that aint got anything to do with copying black culture. Mainstream society is fueled by gayass trends and fads. Looking "mixed up" or what they call "exotic" is what's going on right now. So that's what these white people are tryin to do with all the tanning, makeup and BS. But like all fads, they'll pass, and they'll be back to their peckawood selves soon enough.
i hate other races copying our shit........change how u talk, walk ,dress u ain neva gon change ur skin color or how corny and uncle tom ur parents are
LOL

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » April 14th, 2007, 11:06 am

[quote="Mcminister"]i hate other races copying our shit........change how u talk, walk ,dress u ain neva gon change ur skin color or how corny and uncle tom ur parents are[/quote]

i feel the same way dog but if we feel that way were labeled black racist :roll:

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » April 14th, 2007, 2:11 pm

Qdawg wrote:
A Ghost wrote:
Shox112 wrote:FOR EXAMPLE, WHY IS IT STILL FROWNED UPON WHEN SOMEONE WEARS BRAIDS, DREADS, OR AN AFRO IN ANY TIME OF FORMAL ENVIRONMENT...IT IS A CULTURAL STATEMENT AND THE PERSON IS "DOING THERE OWN THING"... ITS BECAUSE THERE IS A CONNATION BEHIND IT.

If a white woman can put her hair in a braid, why cant a black male, or female officer do the same?
good question ghost
Female officers shouldn't have their hair in braids regardless. It should always be up in a bun under their hats. Ponytails, braids, pig tails, anything like that should be (or at least is in the RCMP) frowned upon and not allowed. It's a danger to the officer.