Why use term "black"?

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Why use term "black"?

Unread post by Qdawg » June 11th, 2007, 5:48 pm

i never understood why people would say " a black man" or why people say "there black"....black is not being specific as in race..its darkskin dominicans,darkskin columbians,venezuelens etc thats darker in complexion then most african americans...its petty that they label african americans black 90% of the time

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by NICKELS » June 11th, 2007, 10:52 pm

ONE THING IS TO HAVE DARKSKIN OR A DARK TAN , IVE SEEN BLACK COLOMBIANS AND EVERYBODY SEEN THE BLACK DOMINCANS , THERE IN BASEBALL ON TV EVERY DAY , BUT TO HAVE AFRICAN FEATURES AND MELANIN , THATS OF BLACK AFRO ORIGIN OR 70 % OF YOUR GENETICS IS AFRICAN .....

YOU HAVE - BLACK > MIXED BLACK > BI RACIAL , AND VICE VERSA YOU HAVE - WHITE > MIXED WHITE > BI RACIAL .....

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » June 12th, 2007, 9:14 am

i hear you but i dont think its cool to call all african americans "black" ...even darkside latino's when people find out there latino they call them latino not black..but african americans weather lightskin or darkskin get called "black"

Redrag52
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Redrag52 » June 12th, 2007, 9:20 am

Qdawg wrote:i hear you but i dont think its cool to call all african americans "black" ...even darkside latino's when people find out there latino they call them latino not black..but african americans weather lightskin or darkskin get called "black"
what should they be called , i still call black latinos black , they just speak another language , they drop africans in different countries that speak other languages . all over maybe , afro american , afro latino , afro arab , afro european , african people in different places , thats another option other then black , or negro , another word for black in spanish from the slave masters

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » June 12th, 2007, 9:23 am

i call latinos spanish darkskin or not but im saying business,people in general call people thats african american black..you can be lightskin like halle berry & be called "black"..thats the backwards thing about it

like most people on this site when they say people tryna be black there referring to african americans not complexion wise

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » June 12th, 2007, 9:26 am

[quote="Qdawg"]i call latinos spanish darkskin or not but im saying business,people in general call people thats african american black..you can be lightskin like halle berry & be called "black"..thats the backwards thing about it

like most people on this site when they say people tryna be black there referring to african americans not complexion wise[/quote]

& when i say spanish i dont mean as in spaniard descent...i grew up where african americans in ny would call latino's(drs,prs,cubans etc) spanish because of the language they spoke....i guess that situation could be thrown in the same category people thats not african american call all people who are african american black

TheReal
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TheReal » June 12th, 2007, 9:31 am

The word "black" is a metaphor, to describe folks who are of african descent, no more, no less. In other words, it doesn't denote a skin color, and never has. (Just like "brown" doesn't really denote many mexicans skin color, seeing as how many of them are light, to white skinned.)

I personally have no problem with the metaphor "black," seeing as how it can unite various peoples throughout the african diaspora.

In other words, not every "black" person can be an african-american, dominican, brazilian, but there are those folks from those countries, who can be "black."

rocstar
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by rocstar » June 12th, 2007, 10:46 pm

TheReal wrote:The word "black" is a metaphor, to describe folks who are of african descent, no more, no less. In other words, it doesn't denote a skin color, and never has. (Just like "brown" doesn't really denote many mexicans skin color, seeing as how many of them are light, to white skinned.)

I personally have no problem with the metaphor "black," seeing as how it can unite various peoples throughout the african diaspora.

In other words, not every "black" person can be an african-american, dominican, brazilian, but there are those folks from those countries, who can be "black."
Exactly Real. If you're a Black person from Cuba you're a Black Person. You're also Latino and Cuban but it doesnt take away the fact that you're Black. And African Americans are Black.

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by NICKELS » June 13th, 2007, 6:03 am

VERY TRUE , BLACK IS OKAY , I TELL LATINOS IM AFRICANO , WHEN THEY CALL ME MORENO , BRAZIL HAS A CASTE SYSTEM LIKE WHAT Q DAWG IS TALKING ABOUT , THEY CATEGORIZE EVERY COLOR SPECTRUM OF RACE THERE TO SEPERATE DIVISIONS. BUT I AGREE , WE HAVE TO STAY UNITED AS PEOPLE OF AFRICAN DESCENT, EVEN THOUGH ALOT OF BLACKS ARE INTERMONGLING FASTER AND MIXING AWAY TO OTHER RACES IN THESES PRESENT YEARS , BLACKS DONT LOOK LIKE NO OTHER RACE IN THIS WORLD , OTHER PEOPLE RESEMBLE EACH OTHER , I SAY STAY BLACK AND ORIGINAL MAN.

black guerilla

Unread post by black guerilla » June 13th, 2007, 7:05 pm

4real tho i dont no why foos cant jus call us african and why if yall see a latino or italin person they aint call them a tan person na mean

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » June 14th, 2007, 6:30 am

TheReal wrote:The word "black" is a metaphor, to describe folks who are of african descent, no more, no less. In other words, it doesn't denote a skin color, and never has. (Just like "brown" doesn't really denote many mexicans skin color, seeing as how many of them are light, to white skinned.)

Agree..

Good break down....

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » June 14th, 2007, 8:19 am

Yep, thats the real the Real. I spoke about this recently with my baby daughter (well, she almost 5) because she observed that though we say black and white to describe people, she saw dark brown, to light brown to yellowy brown to olive to very light brown to pink and reddish - so asked me why do we just say black and white? I gave a childs version answer much like Real (but dont use words like metaphor yet he he). My little one likes people being different, as I do. Viva la diffrence, always.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » June 14th, 2007, 6:31 pm

I CO SIGN SOME OF THE SHIT YOU SAID
I DONT KNOW WHY THIS TOPIC CREATED MAYBE THIS PERSON HAS ISSUES WITH THE WORD BLACK?

TO THE PERSON THAT COMPARED LATINO TO BLACK IN THE UNITED STATES PEOPLE WHO COME FROM SPANIH SPEAKING COUNTRIES ARE LUMPED IN A SPECIFIC GROUP BASED ON LANGUAGE NOT RACE IF THAT WAS SO THE BLACK POPULATION WOULD JUMP AND THE GOV WOULD BE FORCED TO ADD MEZTIZO AND OR MULLATO.

BLACK WAS USED OR GIVEN TO US AS TO AFRICAN AMERICAN WHICH WAS CREATED BY US THE DUDE THAT USE LATINO IN COMPARISON TO BLACK IS A FOOL BLACK PEOPLE IN LATIN AMERICA ARE CALLED BLACK/NEGRA/PRIETA NOT LATINO!

AFRICAN AMERICAN IS JUST AN ETHNIC GROUP OF AMERICANS THATS BLACK. BLACK AMERICAN AND AFRICAN AMERICAN ARE INTERCHANGEABLE IT DESCRIBES A SPECIFIC PEOPLE.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » June 14th, 2007, 6:33 pm

Qdawg wrote:i hear you but i dont think its cool to call all african americans "black" ...even darkside latino's when people find out there latino they call them latino not black..but african americans weather lightskin or darkskin get called "black"
''

WE ARE BLACK IDIOT! BLACK WAS IN EXISTENCE BEFORE AFRICAN AMERICAN WAS COINED A TERM BY BLACK ACTIVIST!

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » June 14th, 2007, 6:42 pm

100 calm down clown

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » June 14th, 2007, 6:45 pm

& we werent called black before black activist...IDIOT

lol@tryna kick knowledge but dont got ya facts straight

when "blacks" were being rounded up onto slave ships they were simply called africans....that 'black" shit didnt come till further down the line by back-wood klans man/other racist americans...go do research fagot

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » June 14th, 2007, 6:50 pm

Qdawg wrote:& we werent called black before black activist...IDIOT

lol@tryna kick knowledge but dont got ya facts straight

when "blacks" were being rounded up onto slave ships they were simply called africans....that 'black" shit didnt come till further down the line by back-wood klans man/other racist americans...go do research fagot

DUDE CALLED ME A FAGGOT CATS LIKE YOU I SERVE THEY THINK THEY SMART BUT REALL BIG HEADED, WHEN I COMPARED AND CONTRAST THE TERMS BLACK AND AFRICAN AMERICAN BLACK PREDATES AFRICAN AMERICAN BUT YOU CANT UNDERSTAND WHAT I SAID, NO SHIT THEY WERE AFRICANS WHEN THEY WERE TAKEN, AND THE TERM BLACK WAS USED BUT THE PORTUGUESE AND SPANISH AS IN NEGRO IN THEIR COLONIES AT THE START OF IT.

YOU TELLING ME TO DO SOME RESEARCH BUT YOU MADE A THREAD DISPUTE'N BLACK WHEN IT PREDATES AFRICAN AMERICAN WTF!

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » June 14th, 2007, 6:54 pm

got a non african american tryna speak on black history (& dont even know it)..give me a break man get lost

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » June 14th, 2007, 6:56 pm

Qdawg wrote:got a non african american tryna speak on black history (& dont even know it)..give me a break man get lost
A NON AFRICAN AMERICAN LOL :lol: YOU A WASTE OF REPLIES. STEPS!

WWW.MYSPACE.COM/CABRIHR

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » June 14th, 2007, 11:23 pm

I hate myspace

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » June 15th, 2007, 8:35 am

Qdawg wrote:got a non african american tryna speak on black history (& dont even know it)..give me a break man get lost
History is history. While someone who is associated with black history might be more passionate about it, that doesn't negate the fact that non-blacks can not only know something about the past but also contribute to discussion. Attack the problem, not the person. If the facts aren't correct, correct them, but don't ad hominem him. And it always help to give evidence to back up your claim.
Qdawg wrote:when "blacks" were being rounded up onto slave ships they were simply called africans....that 'black" shit didnt come till further down the line by back-wood klans man/other racist americans...go do research
The term "black" was used at least during the 1600's, as evidenced in literature. Look at Shakespeare's plays Othello and Titus Andronicus. Othello was referred to as a Moor and and Egyptian and black, but never an African. If you can ignore the racist Elizabethan inconsistencies, I would agree that Moor and Egyptian are synonyms for African, but I find it interesting that Shakespeare never referred to a black character as an African. I don't think it was because it was too offensive, but I wonder if there was some guilt in calling them Africans.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » June 15th, 2007, 8:47 am

Anesis wrote:
The term "black" was used at least during the 1600's, as evidenced in literature. Look at Shakespeare's plays Othello and Titus Andronicus. Othello was referred to as a Moor and and Egyptian and black, but never an African. If you can ignore the racist Elizabethan inconsistencies, I would agree that Moor and Egyptian are synonyms for African, but I find it interesting that Shakespeare never referred to a black character as an African. I don't think it was because it was too offensive, but I wonder if there was some guilt in calling them Africans.
Ancient arabic maps refer to anything south of the Sahara as "Sudan" which basically means "land of the blacks" in arabic. Other ancient historians have coined that term too, so it goes back in history way further.
السودان (Al-Sudan) just means black in Arabic.

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by NICKELS » June 16th, 2007, 9:33 am

A Ghost wrote:I hate myspace
HELL YEAH , ITS REAL SAD AT TIMES , THE PEOPLE THAT BE ON THERE

JelisLust
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by JelisLust » June 16th, 2007, 11:28 am

black guerilla wrote:4real tho i dont no why foos cant jus call us african and why if yall see a latino or italin person they aint call them a tan person na mean
I get what you mean. I don't think most "Americanized Africans" embrace their African heritage even though, its easy to understand why with all the slavery and lost culture and stuff. This would also make it harder though...meaning like...for example, I called some Jamaican or Belizean, 'African.' I mean, at the end of the day, that is where they came from if you know your history, but that would be like calling Hispanics Native Americans. We are, but we created a different culture and all of that stuff and that is the main problem with Americanized Africans is that they have a "culture" that is controlled by the media now, instead of themselves.

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by NICKELS » June 16th, 2007, 3:16 pm

JelisLust wrote:
black guerilla wrote:4real tho i dont no why foos cant jus call us african and why if yall see a latino or italin person they aint call them a tan person na mean
I get what you mean. I don't think most "Americanized Africans" embrace their African heritage even though, its easy to understand why with all the slavery and lost culture and stuff. This would also make it harder though...meaning like...for example, I called some Jamaican or Belizean, 'African.' I mean, at the end of the day, that is where they came from if you know your history, but that would be like calling Hispanics Native Americans. We are, but we created a different culture and all of that stuff and that is the main problem with Americanized Africans is that they have a "culture" that is controlled by the media now, instead of themselves.
AGREED , ITS CONTROLLED BY THE MEDIA , ALSO BECOMES POP CULTURE WORLDWIDE.

Ruslan

Unread post by Ruslan » July 28th, 2007, 7:15 am

hahaha many mexicans "special from south mexico" are much darker than he african americans..... :D