NAACP to Symbolically Bury N Word

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » July 9th, 2007, 4:13 pm

By COREY WILLIAMS

The Associated Press

July 09, 2007

The NAACP is putting to rest a long-standing expression of racism by symbolically burying the N-word in a ceremony similar to one six decades ago.

Delegates from across the country gathered Monday morning during the group's annual convention at Detroit's Cobo Center and marched about a quarter-mile to Hart Plaza for the ceremony and rally. Along the way, two Percheron horses pulled a pine box adorned with a bouquet of fake black roses.

The N-word has been used as a slur against blacks for more than a century. It remains a symbol of racism, but also is used by blacks when referring to other blacks, especially in comedy routines and rap and hip-hop music.

Public discussion on the word's use increased last year following a tirade by 'Seinfeld' actor Michael Richards, who used it repeatedly during a Los Angeles comedy routine and later issued a public apology.

The issue about racially insensitive remarks heated up earlier this year after talk show host Don Imus described black members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team as 'nappy-headed hos' on April 4.

NAACP National Board Chairman Julian Bond repeated the call during the opening address Sunday night for the 98th annual convention, which runs through Thursday.

'While we are happy to have sent a certain radio cowboy back to his ranch, we ought to hold ourselves to the same standard,' Bond said. 'If he can't refer to our women as `hos,' then we shouldn't either.'

Black leaders, including the Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, have challenged the entertainment industry and the American public to stop using the N-word and other racial slurs.

The NAACP held a symbolic funeral in Detroit in 1944 for Jim Crow, the systematic, mostly Southern practice of discrimination against and segregation of blacks from the end of post-Civil War Reconstruction into the mid-20th century.

http://www.topix.net/content/ap/2007/07 ... y-n-word-2

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Long Beach

Unread post by LcBwC » July 9th, 2007, 5:09 pm

Yea I heard that this was going to happen. NAACP has been making alot of moves with getting people to understand the use of the word an advocating the stoppage of it. They even got Webster to change the meaning of it from african american to just racial slur.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 9th, 2007, 6:08 pm

Yeah and I bet people getting Image Awards are gonna have the n-word in their acts/songs/shows/movies

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by LcBwC » July 9th, 2007, 6:27 pm

MiChuhSuh wrote:Yeah and I bet people getting Image Awards are gonna have the n-word in their acts/songs/shows/movies
More than likely

WIP
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WIP » July 10th, 2007, 1:50 am

NAACP is so misdirected its funny and sad at the same time. A march for the N word was useless. They should be marching for the lack of jobs, inner city schools are f*cked up and forgotten and drug laws which destoys a family core without rehabilitation.

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by LcBwC » July 10th, 2007, 1:16 pm

WIP wrote:NAACP is so misdirected its funny and sad at the same time. A march for the N word was useless. They should be marching for the lack of jobs, inner city schools are f*cked up and forgotten and drug laws which destoys a family core without rehabilitation.
I agree that there are other issues that they should address, at the same time I think that it was a good move symbolically.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » July 10th, 2007, 1:22 pm

how you gonna stop a problem if you dont go after the root?

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » July 10th, 2007, 2:38 pm

They should be marching for the lack of jobs, inner city schools are f*cked up and forgotten and drug laws which destoys a family core without rehabilitation.
i agree. while the n-word is still a big issue, it is not the most important. awareness of drugs and better schooling could have a much greater impact. i am not saying ignore this issue, but getting new computers, better teachers, and getting students more interested in learning, would have a greater impact. this is not just black leaders and the NAACP, this needs to be a joint effort, between the city, the black community, and everyone else in the city. and it needs to be groups like the NAACP to get this kind of movement going. the city and its citizens won't, and if they did, won't have the power to get anything done.
perongregory wrote:how you gonna stop a problem if you dont go after the root?
you see your the type of guy, when the black community is being affected economic problems, gang problems, drug addiction/dealing, not enough young motivated black kids, the image of young black people, the negitave stereotype image of black peopl and how so many play into that role, you would go and talk about something like don imus or the n-word.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » July 10th, 2007, 2:45 pm

se11 wrote:
They should be marching for the lack of jobs, inner city schools are f*cked up and forgotten and drug laws which destoys a family core without rehabilitation.
i agree. while the n-word is still a big issue, it is not the most important. awareness of drugs and better schooling could have a much greater impact. i am not saying ignore this issue, but getting new computers, better teachers, and getting students more interested in learning, would have a greater impact. this is not just black leaders and the NAACP, this needs to be a joint effort, between the city, the black community, and everyone else in the city. and it needs to be groups like the NAACP to get this kind of movement going. the city and its citizens won't, and if they did, won't have the power to get anything done.
perongregory wrote:how you gonna stop a problem if you dont go after the root?
you see your the type of guy, when the black community is being affected economic problems, gang problems, drug addiction/dealing, not enough young motivated black kids, the image of young black people, the negitave stereotype image of black peopl and how so many play into that role, you would go and talk about something like don imus or the n-word.
see your the type of guy that jumps to conclusions cuz...nevermind, my point still stands to all the rational and sane peeps on the board you have to go after the root of the problems to fix anything so symbolically burying the N-word aint gon do shit, cuz that's a surface problem, something indicative of the rotten core.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » July 10th, 2007, 2:47 pm

^^I agree with you peron...I think the same.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » July 10th, 2007, 3:02 pm

see your the type of guy that jumps to conclusions because...nevermind, my point still stands to all the rational and sane peeps on the board you have to go after the root of the problems to fix anything so symbolically burying the N-word aint gon do shit, because that's a surface problem, something indicative of the rotten core.
then i misunderstood your comment "we have to go after the root of the problem." what do you think its best to go after? if you could do one thing to help the black community, what would you do?

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » July 10th, 2007, 3:08 pm

well one thing isn't enough, but I would probably instill self-love/worth because if blacks had self-love/worth -independent of when they are being overtly ganged up on- they wouldn't do the things they do to each other or allow certain things to proceed against them. Love for each other would bring the superhuman will out of them to fight to the death for what's right for them.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » July 10th, 2007, 3:36 pm

i agree, and i probably agree with you on more than you think. however, i am strongly against your anti-white approach to things. i think just as much can be achieved, without all the bad talking about other people.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » July 10th, 2007, 3:49 pm

People thought the panthers were anti-white even though they said power to the people, and had a working relationship witht the young patriots (white appalachin revolutionary group). That's my stance, power to the people and down with what happens to be an establishment that operates under the rules of white supremacy. If you down with that you are down with me, but if you are one of the apathetic and purposefully ignorant masses of both uncle Toms, tio Tomas', the shu Tings, or middle class white John who says. "oh, those black people...so what we beat their ass it's over its all better now", ignoring the institutional factors that keep NA's and blacks especially, and other marginalized peoples in a submissive and fucked off state, then no we probably don't agree on alot of things.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » July 10th, 2007, 11:23 pm

i am for a change. i think this county needs to be a lot less segregated, and it's a work in progress. the establishment as a whole is fucked up. it gets abused, misused, exploited, and taken advantage of, while things that should matter, don't. i think a lotof changes should come about, in all kinds of communities. white, black, immigrant, everything needs help in some way. i'd never say "we beat they black asses now its over" or anything like that, i just feel some people on here take an "anti-white" approach at these problems, which that is pure ignorance as well, especially when they have a strong stance on racism themselvs. but, i do feel, america is one of the greatest countries in the world, even though it is fucked up, we have a horrible president, and ect.

and i also feel that the black community, as a whole is just a horribly represented group. the credibility of its so called "leaders" is terrible, they make a joke and a media circus about anything that happens to a black person. they're yelling at don imus or kramer, while they could be trying to improve schools, health care, gang/drug awarness, education, and future goals, in the black community. this is not the way to change, neither is yelling at white people for what they've done wrong. black leaders should be trying to make white communities, latin communities, and everyone in the country aware of the problems they are facing, and how they would like more people to be aware and support their cause and maybe some connection with these people can do us all some good. seeing al sharpton, everytime a black man gets beat up by the police, isn't exactly connceting with any kind of community. i think a few good black leaders can make a difference and make this country somewhat better. but the cameras and press are always going to be attracted to the al shaprton, jesse jackson type of black guy, so the real guys that should be getting the spot light, probably never will.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 10th, 2007, 11:41 pm

LcBwC wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:Yeah and I bet people getting Image Awards are gonna have the n-word in their acts/songs/shows/movies
More than likely
This isn't an event for "awareness on the n word", this is an event for "attention on the NAACP"

oXJmAuPs2005Xo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oXJmAuPs2005Xo » July 11th, 2007, 9:15 pm

lets build a time machine go back in time to the first white man who ever said it and the murder him before he says it

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 11th, 2007, 10:57 pm

That wouldn't help, it's derived from the old Latin word "niger" which is a generic non-derogatory word for black (as in the color not the race), and the English pronunciation comes from the French nègre whic is also the generic word for black.

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » July 12th, 2007, 11:22 am

i feel what naacp tryna do with the whole n word thing but that word is generations long..toddlers nowadays get caught saying that word

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » July 13th, 2007, 1:48 am

i was watchin dis on TV with some Texas boiz n the first thing 1'em dudes said was "nigga please"

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » July 13th, 2007, 9:51 am

obvisouly...the word is over-rated now

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » July 15th, 2007, 5:06 am

i will stop usin nigga the day every black man in the USA n the world stops being crazy u heard me

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by LcBwC » July 15th, 2007, 10:25 am

Mcminister wrote:i will stop usin nigga the day every black man in the USA n the world stops being crazy u heard me
Guess that means you are forever using the word.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » July 17th, 2007, 6:59 pm

Mcminister wrote:i will stop usin nigga the day every black man in the USA n the world stops being crazy u heard me
what does that even mean? you stereotype your own people, with a serious attitude.

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » August 8th, 2007, 11:19 am

Just Another Dead Ni@@er! *Excerpts
by Wise Intelligent

What we must admit is that this IDENTITY problem is a pandemic crisis in the black reality and the root of many, if not all, of our woes! We know that in order to deal with the real causes of our problems as a people we must confront our past. And that requires that we confront the enemies of that past. Our FEAR of confronting those who are responsible for kidnapping, enslaving, dehumanizing and ni@@erizing our people is indicated by our behavior. All the talk about banning the "N" Word, degrading women and Hip Hop are all cleverly calculated evasions of the deeper problem. Getting rid of the Joe Camel cigarette ads did not stop people from smoking or cure the people of lung cancer and burying the N-word will not stop our young black men and women from seeing themselves and believing that they are NI@@ERS!

"All the talk about banning the 'N' Word, degrading women and Hip Hop are all cleverly calculated evasions of the deeper problem."

So now that the movement to destroy the NI@@ERS and all of his offensive words is in full effect, will their be an equally intensive effort to destroy the NI@@ER makers and all of their NI@@ER inducing systems? In other words, after we get rid of Frankenstein are we going to confront and get rid of Dr. Frankenstein as well? Now that we've buried the N-word, what are we going to replace it with? Are we ready to go back and find out who and what we were before the Ni@@erization process stole our minds, bodies, and souls?

Are we ready to go back to when Hip Hop tried to motivate black youth to call each other, "Brother," "Sista," "Young Ladies," "Beloved," "King," "Queen," "Africans," "Gods," "Earths" and "Goddess" back in the late 80's and early 90's?

Are we ready to bury the SICKCO American mentality that created the NI@@ER and all his words to undermine African rebellion, revolution, unity, revolt, and rebirth? Are we ready to deal with the reality that it was a tragic mistake to let your enemy teach and train your children? Are we ready to be about the business of building for ourselves regardless of what "old-wounds" that may be "re-opened" (although they have never been closed)? Are we ready to make all efforts to take 100% control of the education, economics and politics of our people regardless of who that course of action may offend? Because if we're NOT ready to do all of those things and MORE after we get back home from the mock funeral for the N-word, then I'll conclude this with the words of my great aunts, uncles, mother, father and grandparents... NI@@A PLEASE!

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by LcBwC » August 13th, 2007, 6:18 pm

^^^Good post. It is about what happens after. Its not going to stop with just the action of burying the word.

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ManifestTruth » August 23rd, 2007, 10:44 am

LcBwC wrote:^^^Good post. It is about what happens after. Its not going to stop with just the action of burying the word.
Wise words being spoken. However, it might just be a good starting point. If it means people will resolve themselves to
exist on a higher plane, then this "little" social experiment should move forward. Time is the master..

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by LcBwC » August 23rd, 2007, 11:10 am

ManifestTruth wrote:
LcBwC wrote:^^^Good post. It is about what happens after. Its not going to stop with just the action of burying the word.
Wise words being spoken. However, it might just be a good starting point. If it means people will resolve themselves to
exist on a higher plane, then this "little" social experiment should move forward. Time is the master..
Most Def. I would hope that the action lit a fire so to speak, and I think thats pretty much all it was to serve for. Put other things in motion...

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ManifestTruth » August 23rd, 2007, 11:35 am

Are we ready to make all efforts to take 100% control of the education, economics and politics of our people regardless of who that course of action may offend?
That's the scrillion dollar question right there, akhi. This internal battle is about both goals and souls, for the clouds
loom mightily over both...

P=PROPER
E=EDUCATION
A=ACHIEVES
C=COLLECTIVE
E=ENLIGHTMENT

TERMYTE12

Unread post by TERMYTE12 » September 22nd, 2007, 10:25 am

im glad they buried the n word...MAYATE or LLANTA sounds so much better

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ManifestTruth » September 22nd, 2007, 11:25 am

TERMYTE12 wrote:im glad they buried the n word...MAYATE or LLANTA sounds so much better
Guess you call yourself TERMYTE cause you like the WOOD so much..

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » September 22nd, 2007, 3:49 pm

TERMYTE12 wrote:im glad they buried the n word...MAYATE or LLANTA sounds so much better
Your done here under this name. Register under a different name if you like and then keep racist comments out of your posts.