Fruit Drink Brings Watts to a Boil

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » July 12th, 2007, 9:16 pm

by Evan Barnes

The liquid beverage is sweet and red, but the seal that covers the plastic container has left a sour taste in the mouth of the African American community this week.

Renowned civil rights leader and Sentinel Publisher Danny Bakewell Sr., called the images on the container, "One of the most offensive acts I've ever seen directed at Black people."

Sentinel op-ed columnist Malik Spellman brought the container to the Sentinel on July 7.

It was a day for Spellman to celebrate his daughter Malika's graduating with honors from middle school but it turned into an event they would not forget.

After taking his daughter to the Watts Labor Community Action Committee to see an exhibit, Spellman then treated her to a cool drink at the Louisiana Fried Chicken stand on 91st and Central.

To his surprise, on the lid of the drink was a small image of three Black children dressed in jungle garb. It was reminiscent of the pickaninny figures from the Jim Crow era, and it left Spellman in a state of shock.

"It made me sick to my stomach," he said, "I was offended and broke into a cold sweat of anger."

He did not show the image to his daughter but retained the cup as the latest example of racist iconography to appear in the community.

The writing on the label of the beverage appeared to be in Japanese language and at press time the Sentinel was working on translating the words.

A brief visit to a local Chinese establishment suggested that the language was either Japanese or Chinese, and when asked what it meant, the merchant reeled and responded, "It's nothing, you wouldn't understand it anyway," and shunned away.

"Being a community activist fighting against racism at the Sentinel for six years, it made me sick because I saw it in Watts," he said, "It's unacceptable to sell it here in the United States and there is no excuse."

Ironically, the exhibit they visited at the WLCAC featured similar figures among others as an opportunity to educate the community on how harmful and prevalent these images have been in the past.

Timothy Watkins, president and CEO of the WLCAC, added some perspective by describing how these images reinforce negative stereotypes but Black people as a whole.

"These images completely exaggerate the African-American image," said Watkins. "They reinforce White superiority and Black subservience."

The images were determined to be Asian cartoon figures but controversial images like these have re-entered the American consciousness in recent years. In June 2005, a Mexican stamp featuring a popular Black comic book figure with exaggerated features similar to a monkey drew outrage from the Black community.

The manager of the restaurant, Lisa Tran, has only worked there for several months and said that the lids came from a roll sold from an unknown distributor in Chinatown. She also admitted that she was not sure how long they had been selling them.

Community residents were mixed on this issue. While some wanted nothing to do with it, others were offended as it recalled an era when these images were commonplace in America.

"I think it's a racist statement," Watts resident Gregory Sims said. "I've lived in South Central all my life and it reminds me of the ‘50s where White people were putting on Blackface and making us look like monkeys."

Tommy Island, another Watts resident, said that they reminded him of a time when these images were acceptable and Blacks could not leave Watts without a work permit. He admitted, however, that he had no time to worry about this situation and simply would just not buy a drink.

"It's just ignorance," Island said, "Someone just doesn't know how offensive this is."

Originally from Cambodia, Tran said that she was unaware how offensive the images were. Later in the day, an employee said that they plan on discontinuing the lids due to their content.

Bakewell Sr. has pledged to contact the attorney general and encourage him to investigate this matter.

"We can not and should not accept this. We can not buy it and must discover who is manufacturing it and prevent it from being sold anywhere," Bakewell insisted.

Furthermore the publisher vows to contact major civil rights organizations to call for an immediate boycott of the beverage.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 12th, 2007, 10:49 pm

The f-ck?

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » July 12th, 2007, 11:15 pm

I believe its chinese and I am sorry but fuck them anyways. They are poisoning our animals and pushing racist shit now? We need to stop importing from that country NOW before its too late.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 12th, 2007, 11:18 pm

Christina Marie wrote:I believe its chinese and I am sorry but fu-- them anyways. They are poisoning our animals and pushing racist shit now? We need to stop importing from that country NOW before its too late.
"They took err jobs!" LOL

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 12th, 2007, 11:47 pm

X you know what I've noticed every time you post a thread?

you never give us a link LOL :lol:

Do you have one?

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » July 13th, 2007, 12:04 am

A Ghost wrote:X you know what I've noticed every time you post a thread?

Do you have one?

None of it is real, I make all this stuff up...

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 13th, 2007, 12:06 am

'X' wrote:
A Ghost wrote:X you know what I've noticed every time you post a thread?

Do you have one?

None of it is real, I make all this stuff up...
Thats not what I meant, Im posting it on another board and I need the link

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » July 13th, 2007, 6:55 am

Christina Marie wrote:I believe its chinese and I am sorry but fu-- them anyways. They are poisoning our animals and pushing racist shit now? We need to stop importing from that country NOW before its too late.
LOL

Poisoning our animals? What does that even mean yo? What's really going on here.

Reminds me of some dudes I know talking about "These Chinese are poisoning our hoods, with their.... with their fried rice and food they keep serving us!" What does that even mean yo?!

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » July 13th, 2007, 8:29 am

I'm curious as to what the writing actually says. I seriously hope that it just mentions the ingredients.

I can understand if the manager who hasn't worked there for very long doesn't know much about the drinks. She did say that they would discontinue the item, and I think that is a good start. As long as this
the merchant reeled and responded, "It's nothing, you wouldn't understand it anyway," and shunned away.
wasn't her.

I think a grassroots boycott is a wonderful idea but [
b]Bakewell Sr. has pledged to contact the attorney general and encourage him to investigate this matter.

"We can not and should not accept this. We can not buy it and must discover who is manufacturing it and prevent it from being sold anywhere," Bakewell insisted. [/b]
bothers me.

If there is to be a boycott, we need more information about the drink, like the name of it! It looks as if this information is just in the Sentinel.

I hope there is an update on this story. I want to know what happens and I want to know what the text said.

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by NICKELS » July 13th, 2007, 12:30 pm

Cold Bear wrote:
LOL

Poisoning our animals? What does that even mean yo? What's really going on here.

Reminds me of some dudes I know talking about "These Chinese are poisoning our hoods, with their.... with their fried rice and food they keep serving us!" What does that even mean yo?!
YOUR FUNNY , BUT THATS REAL ........ THAT SOUNDED PREDJUDICE WHAT SHE POSTED ......LOL , THAT WAS WRONG

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » July 13th, 2007, 9:19 pm

Cold Bear wrote:
LOL

That crap in IAMS and other brands thats been going on, thats where it came from and I know it might not be all that important to some people in the big picture considering all the other heinous crap thats going on in the world.....but my family has been personally affected by this. My little sister and her husband who cannot have children, they have a little mini pin that has been their child for 13 yrs and now he is dying from kidney failure.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » July 13th, 2007, 9:20 pm

NICKELS wrote:
Cold Bear wrote:
LOL

YOUR FUNNY , BUT THATS REAL ........ THAT SOUNDED PREDJUDICE WHAT SHE POSTED ......LOL , THAT WAS WRONG
I dont give a fuck if it did

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 13th, 2007, 9:29 pm

I see. So the actions of a few corrupt individuals heading a private company will lead you to say f*ck an entire nation.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 13th, 2007, 9:30 pm

MiChuhSuh wrote:I see. So the actions of a few corrupt individuals heading a private company will lead you to say f*ck an entire nation.
And without even knowing what country the label came from. You just wanted to bring up dog food; why not make a new thread?

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » July 13th, 2007, 10:15 pm

China executed the head of their food or whatever for bribery. The dude was fucked up and his greedy ways hurt the Chinese too (they got sick, etc.).

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 13th, 2007, 10:18 pm

Ya that was real sick. Their baby food had 0 nutrition and babies died from malnutrition.

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » July 13th, 2007, 10:27 pm

Damn Chinks.

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » July 13th, 2007, 10:30 pm

How you guys know the picture are Africans? They could be Cambodian lol Cambodians are dark skinned to.

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » July 14th, 2007, 7:58 am

NikexCortez wrote:How you guys know the picture are Africans? They could be Cambodian lol Cambodians are dark skinned to.
The cartoons would appear to be a picaninnies, a child version of the

coon caricature.

The above web page can be insulting, as it documents actual historical items from America's history. I use it in my classroom because I think that most people today (young and otherwise) don't understand the history behind these images.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 14th, 2007, 10:21 am

Anesis wrote:I think that most people today (young and otherwise) don't understand the history behind these images.
I saw those pictures on some snack boxes before, I'm pretty sure the manufacturers don't even know. They probably just think it's a cute cartoon character and most of their customers do to; I didn't even realize that they were anything more than random cartoon images before a few years ago to be honest.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » July 14th, 2007, 1:17 pm

MiChuhSuh wrote:I see. So the actions of a few corrupt individuals heading a private company will lead you to say f*ck an entire nation.
I am saying that we should look more closely at what we (FDA) are importing from China and not give them (manufacturers) a free pass to come up off unsuspecting consumers.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 14th, 2007, 1:27 pm

Of course. But the post you made earlier sends a different message.

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Long Beach

Unread post by LcBwC » July 14th, 2007, 2:02 pm

MiChuhSuh wrote:
Anesis wrote:I think that most people today (young and otherwise) don't understand the history behind these images.
I saw those pictures on some snack boxes before, I'm pretty sure the manufacturers don't even know. They probably just think it's a cute cartoon character and most of their customers do to; I didn't even realize that they were anything more than random cartoon images before a few years ago to be honest.
Ever heard the phrase that ignorance of a situation isnt an excuse? Same concept here...just cuz someone might not know or doesnt understand it...doesnt take away from the situation at hand.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 14th, 2007, 2:58 pm

It's more complicated that "Is there an excuse or not." Not everything is 100% yes or 100% no.

Go to any store they sell that stuff and ask them what they think that character is, and at least 80% of the people will say "a cartoon." Then if you ask them what the cartoon is, it would be like asking what Yoshi from Mario Brothers is. They would be like "What do you mean, it's a cartoon."

I bet most people don't know Yoshi is supposed to be a dinosaur.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » July 14th, 2007, 3:06 pm

I don't doubt that Asians, and other non-Americans probably have a misconception of those racist figures/cartoons, (they don't feel they are bad, these racist figurines were apart of their childhood, introduced by popular culture...these figures they saw back in the day didn't accompany actual blacks so they couldn't properly learn of the negative connotations the figures carry). But what if I was to say those black patrons of Korean stores who said racist and sterotypical things to the store owners had a gross misconception of the things they said, being that for a long time in American popular culture it wasn't anything to call Asians japs, buddhaheads, chinks gooks, plus they never had any experience with Asians to really see how those things affected them?

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Cold Bear » July 14th, 2007, 3:23 pm

I'm sure if you saw this type of shit in a store you would say some shit, or see it as obviously racist

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Cold Bear » July 14th, 2007, 3:24 pm

^ to MiChuhSuh

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 14th, 2007, 3:30 pm

perongregory wrote:I don't doubt that Asians, and other non-Americans probably have a misconception of those racist figures/cartoons, (they don't feel they are bad, these racist figurines were apart of their childhood, introduced by popular culture...these figures they saw back in the day didn't accompany actual blacks so they couldn't properly learn of the negative connotations the figures carry). But what if I was to say those black patrons of Korean stores who said racist and sterotypical things to the store owners had a gross misconception of the things they said, being that for a long time in American popular culture it wasn't anything to call Asians japs, buddhaheads, chinks gooks, plus they never had any experience with Asians to really see how those things affected them?
See that's the thing though. Again, this is gonna make me sound one-sided but read this with a clear head. It's not that most Asians don't accompany those cartoons with actual blacks, it's that they don't accompany with with humans at all, let alone a racial stereotype of black. I didn't even know those cartoons were even supposed to be human beings until a few years ago. Some of you will say that this is the point, that it shows blacks as being less than human, but the thing is to me it didn't even show blacks at all.

It would be like finding out that Daffy Duck is a caricature of a victimized black person (some people really claim that). Kids would say "How is he a black guy, he's a duck."

I'm sure there are many Asians who realize that these are pictures of caricature black people but until a while ago I saw them as completely fictional cartoons.

I believe the key would be seeing how people react after discovering that they are "pickaninnys" or however you spell that term. Notice that the manager discontinued the drink immediately.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » July 14th, 2007, 11:25 pm

that writing is chinese not korean. and may i point out, that there are african tribes(and tribes in asia, the pacific, and many other places) who still wear "jungle garb".

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by NICKELS » July 15th, 2007, 2:15 am

Image[/quote]

SE11 , THIS IS FROM THE ASIANS AND AFRICANS THAT STILL WEAR " JUNGLE GARB " , AND FOR CHRISTINAS ASIAN PREDJUDICE COMMENTS ...

DIS FA YOOOOOO , FINGA FA YOOO " ...........LOL :twisted:

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 15th, 2007, 12:57 pm

Cold Bear wrote:I'm sure if you saw this type of shit in a store you would say some shit, or see it as obviously racist

Now if we were in a country like Central African Republic where some kids might not eve know that Asians exist, then I would understand that they wouldn't make the connection between that cartoon and actual people. I wouldn't judge until after they were told that they were caricatures of real people. Note that the manager discontinued the product immediately.

P.S. Compare that with this picture:
^ They don't even have noses or any distinct features withing their body except for white lips (which no humans have). I would honestly think they were Pokemon or something.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 15th, 2007, 1:01 pm

se11 wrote:that writing is chinese not korean. and may i point out, that there are african tribes(and tribes in asia, the pacific, and many other places) who still wear "jungle garb".
No one said it was Korean.