Russian Prison Tattoos

From tagging to piecing to gang graffiti to clothing styles to the art of tattoos.
Russian59

Unread post by Russian59 » May 23rd, 2007, 12:57 pm

If U see Russian man who have tattoo "stars" on chest [under clavicle] - U must know - it's symbolize that man is REAL O.G. ["Thief in law" - it's Russian version of US "O.G."]...

BandeR
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by BandeR » June 20th, 2007, 7:43 am

Sometimes the meanings of the "stars" are different.....................
& not only O.G's have this stars........ :!: :idea: 8)

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » June 20th, 2007, 8:14 am

First time I've seen this, new for me - very interesting, appreciated seen. I'm learning something new here, keep on.

BandeR
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by BandeR » July 1st, 2007, 8:07 am

Noog, what was new fo' you ?? meanings of the Russian prison tatoos ??
if you wanna, I can add some information about this...............

adlay

Unread post by adlay » July 25th, 2007, 5:38 pm

post up more, very interesting

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » August 2nd, 2007, 2:23 am

yeah, I like that work it's nice, seen a documentary on russian prison tatts before, interestin stuff.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » August 9th, 2007, 9:53 am

Yeah, the Russian prison tats are new. And they are very good, so detailed. Thats deep.

InfamousLoc

Unread post by InfamousLoc » August 30th, 2007, 8:47 pm

some crazy ass muthafuccas rite ther

Babmuk
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Highfa

Unread post by Babmuk » October 17th, 2007, 5:38 pm

Kinda lazy to post here tattoos and translate the meaning,if u want name of site i can send u PM with it and then there u go.If really interested maybe i could translate them in eng.

YUTS
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by YUTS » October 19th, 2007, 10:06 am

Alot of that Ink is awesome shit , some talented artists up there

gino
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by gino » November 25th, 2007, 9:12 pm

there similir tattoos like that in polish prison, seen alot of people with them, dots are big in polish prisons too either on hand on right beside eye means sum shit dont remember waht

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » January 9th, 2008, 11:39 am

I hate bringing up old topics but I just watched the movie Eastern Promises. One of the aspects of the plot revolves around Russian prison tattoo's. Very interesting. I know they did some extensive research for the movie, it might not be dead on but they got a good portion of the meaning of the tattoo's down. Very good movie.

richjesus

Unread post by richjesus » January 9th, 2008, 12:08 pm

EmperorPenguin wrote:I hate bringing up old topics but I just watched the movie Eastern Promises. One of the aspects of the plot revolves around Russian prison tattoo's. Very interesting. I know they did some extensive research for the movie, it might not be dead on but they got a good portion of the meaning of the tattoo's down. Very good movie.
i jus saw the movie also. i wonder if its tru that the stars mean ur like a made man of the russian mafia? i wonder if this is tru. one of my favorite MMA fighters, aleksander emelianenko got alotta russian prison tattoos, including the stars. i wonder if he a made man.

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » January 9th, 2008, 4:33 pm

richjesus wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:I hate bringing up old topics but I just watched the movie Eastern Promises. One of the aspects of the plot revolves around Russian prison tattoo's. Very interesting. I know they did some extensive research for the movie, it might not be dead on but they got a good portion of the meaning of the tattoo's down. Very good movie.
i jus saw the movie also. i wonder if its tru that the stars mean ur like a made man of the russian mafia? i wonder if this is tru. one of my favorite MMA fighters, aleksander emelianenko got alotta russian prison tattoos, including the stars. i wonder if he a made man.
Taken from Fedor's website, an interview with Aleksander.

- My next question may appear tactless but still our forum is overloaded with questions as for when and where you made your tattoos and if they correspond to fact. Can you tell us about it?

- Honestly speaking I don’t know what to say. All tattoos were made at different time and by different people. As for meanings every tattoo has its own location and accordance . I can just say what they denote for those who are unaware. For example, there is a cathedral with five domes on my right hand and each dome denotes one year of imprisonment. The stars on the shoulders symbolize honesty and dignity of a person who lives according to his principles. There is Mother of God on my back.

- What does it denote?

- Absolutely nothing. I just liked the picture, originally done. The stars on my knees “say” “I will never kneel”. The tattoo “Pirate” denotes an article from criminal code concerning robbery. I hope the sign in Latin ” Good luck follows the brave“ doesn’t need any comments. There are words in German “God with us” on my back. For me it is a symbol of revival so to say. There is a inscription on my left shoulder in Russian, those who are interested may examine it on the photos. Below my elbow there is half a head of a cat, half scull. It may be interpreted as “Homo homini lupus est”. This saying is one of life principles. On my shoulder there is a net.

- Speaking about this net. There are questions in the forum if it denotes your connection with mafia, maybe your victories are unfair.

- No, this net has another meaning. It has nothing in common with mafia. My achievements and victories are result of hard work, not only mine but also of my coaches. As I’ve already mentioned they are Vladimir Voronov and Alexander Michkov. And my brother surely contributed to it.

Take it for what it's worth and I doubt Aleks would admit to Mafia connections on his brothers site but chances are he's a part of the Russian Mafia to some extent.

richjesus

Unread post by richjesus » January 10th, 2008, 1:13 pm

good lookin out on the article, he got some badass tattooes tho. on his back theres a giant grim reaper holding a baby. wicked stuff.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: Russian Prison Tattoos

Unread post by whiskeyjack » September 18th, 2008, 3:14 am

Ive been told by other russians that:

The stars by your knews or by your shoulders, mostly mean that you dont bow, respect or cooperate with the government and police. Although the stars by your shoulder could have the added meaning of respect it all means the same thing

A tattoo of death means you killed someone

Im not sure about this but the guy said the arcs of a cathedral or cathedral (something like that) each one represents the years you have been in prison or the russian mob, one of the two..

A spider by your hand climbing up means you are trying to become a criminal, a spider climbing down means your trying to leave the criminal life

A cross is a sign that your greatly respected by your peers, and ive been told that if a normal bloke like you or i have a tattoo of a cross the people will try forcibly remove it with glass or a brick...

A music note on your finger means you live the good life

A red face tattoo on your shoulder means you have stolen from your brothers, and you deserve no respect (apparently they will force this on you)

And a tattoo on your ass means your a bitch

from what ive been told

ted32

Unread post by ted32 » October 11th, 2008, 3:02 am

my grandfather was russian and had gulag tatooes on....
almost every russian was in jail a time in their life... and there they can make this tatooes...
Cross on left hand means russian mafia...

SlicedAlone
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: 661

Unread post by SlicedAlone » November 17th, 2008, 10:14 pm

Thats some nice work. I heard stars on the knees mean you kneel to know one.

realrocknrolla
What city do you live in now?: Northeast Harbor

Unread post by realrocknrolla » January 25th, 2009, 10:34 pm

wonder what the hand tats mean?

visa
What city do you live in now?: Berlin

Unread post by visa » July 20th, 2009, 9:27 am

Eastern Promises is shit about Vor-Cop-Robin Hood.