Where you from? - Nomad Ethnicity

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
MiChuhSuh

Where you from? - Nomad Ethnicity

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 13th, 2007, 10:17 pm

People move around all the time, so when people ask you where you're from, what do you say?

Many celebrities, rappers, etc. will usually say the most popular option. For example Tupac was born in the Bronx and he didn't move to California till he was 17, but he claimed West Coast Cali all day. Ice-T was born in Newark, but moved to LA early in life. Someone else is from Chicago but claims Gardena.

So what do you think of as your hometown? Where you first lived? Where you lived the longest? The most recent place? The most famous place?

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » July 13th, 2007, 10:25 pm

Whatever you wanna tell the person. Im from ChinaTown :D

KINGFEAR62
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by KINGFEAR62 » July 14th, 2007, 3:52 am

I'm from the north bronx aka lil jamaica

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » July 14th, 2007, 8:17 am

I don't really use the expression hometown. I'm noncommittal about the whole thing. I grew up in St. Louis and I live in Houston.

I think also, if you live in the suburbs, there isn't much to connect with. But where I live currently, we have a real community - not just newsletters and street signs. I'd much rather associate myself with my current neighborhood than Normandy back in St. Louis.

Do you think everyone can find a place to fit in no matter where they live?

NikexCortez identifies with Chinatown. If you moved to another city/state, would you look for another Chinatown?

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » July 14th, 2007, 10:00 am

^^ LOL at look for another CT. I prolly wont live there because Im so use to LA's CT. But I would want to visit and see the differences.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 14th, 2007, 10:17 am

Anesis wrote:I think also, if you live in the suburbs, there isn't much to connect with. But where I live currently, we have a real community - not just newsletters and street signs.
Ya, after moving around a few times I know what you mean. I think at this point 90% of all suburbs are the exact same place, nothing really special about any of them.

And for some reason when I was in high school dumbass kids in suburbs liked to keep saying "f*ck this place, I'm from (insert famous city they're not really from)"

You're lucky to find a good community.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Re: Where you from? - Nomad Ethnicity

Unread post by Sentenza » July 14th, 2007, 10:31 am

MiChuhSuh wrote:People move around all the time, so when people ask you where you're from, what do you say?

Many celebrities, rappers, etc. will usually say the most popular option. For example Tupac was born in the Bronx and he didn't move to California till he was 17, but he claimed West Coast Cali all day. Ice-T was born in Newark, but moved to LA early in life. Someone else is from Chicago but claims Gardena.

So what do you think of as your hometown? Where you first lived? Where you lived the longest? The most recent place? The most famous place?
I know this must sound stupid in English, but thats the actual name of the neighbourhood i was born in. Has nothing to do with the english meaning of the word
I consider this city my hometown, no matter where i will go.

8) :lol: :wink:

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » July 14th, 2007, 10:55 am

NikexCortez wrote:^^ LOL at look for another CT. I prolly wont live there because Im so use to LA's CT. But I would want to visit and see the differences.
I think most big cities have Chinatowns. Houston has one of the largest Little Saigons and we also have Chinatown downtown. But it's not distinctly Chinese or Vietnamese anymore. It's a weird mesh of culture. I'm just a tourist for the dim sum.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 14th, 2007, 10:55 am

lol wedding? what does it mean in... well what country are you from?

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » July 14th, 2007, 10:58 am

MiChuhSuh wrote:lol wedding? what does it mean in... well what country are you from?
....German. :lol: Its part of West-Berlin.
Its named after a guy who founded it in 1251 a.D.

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » July 14th, 2007, 11:02 am

Yea LA's CT got blacks, whites, and the hispanics BEEN living here. Trip out, the CT PJs are run by an ese gang.

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » July 14th, 2007, 11:27 am

born in the south bronx but i claim the northeast bronx

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » July 14th, 2007, 2:01 pm

Sentenza wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:People move around all the time, so when people ask you where you're from, what do you say?

I know this must sound stupid in English, but thats the actual name of the neighbourhood i was born in. Has nothing to do with the english meaning of the word
I consider this city my hometown, no matter where i will go.

8) :lol: :wink:
I love my shirt ;)

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » July 14th, 2007, 2:02 pm

I was born in Long Beach, live in Long Beach and will likely die in Long Beach

Young Deuce
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Young Deuce » July 14th, 2007, 2:26 pm

Anesis wrote:I don't really use the expression hometown. I'm noncommittal about the whole thing. I grew up in St. Louis and I live in Houston.

I think also, if you live in the suburbs, there isn't much to connect with. But where I live currently, we have a real community - not just newsletters and street signs. I'd much rather associate myself with my current neighborhood than Normandy back in St. Louis.

Do you think everyone can find a place to fit in no matter where they live?

NikexCortez identifies with Chinatown. If you moved to another city/state, would you look for another Chinatown?
NIGGA U BETTA REP THE LOU TILL U DIE...naw j/p.....but me i wuzz born and raised in St.Louis.....im probably movin after i graduate high school but imma alwayz say St.louis because thats were i grew up.....

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » July 14th, 2007, 3:52 pm

Young Deuce wrote:
Anesis wrote:I'd much rather associate myself with my current neighborhood than Normandy back in St. Louis.
NIGGA U BETTA REP THE LOU TILL U DIE...naw j/p.....but me i wuzz born and raised in St.Louis.....im probably movin after i graduate high school but imma alwayz say St.louis because thats were i grew up.....
See, I grew up in Normandy, I root for the Cardinals, but there is no way I'd move back there. It's too tense of a city.

I find it odd that when talking to people outside of St. Louis, we always just say St. Louis, but we always mention our community when talking to people who live in St. Louis. St. Louis is one thing; Normandy is a different thing. Does that make sense to, Young Deuce? Is it still like that up there?

Young Deuce
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Young Deuce » July 14th, 2007, 4:30 pm

Anesis wrote:
Young Deuce wrote:
Anesis wrote:I'd much rather associate myself with my current neighborhood than Normandy back in St. Louis.
See, I grew up in Normandy, I root for the Cardinals, but there is no way I'd move back there. It's too tense of a city.

I find it odd that when talking to people outside of St. Louis, we always just say St. Louis, but we always mention our community when talking to people who live in St. Louis. St. Louis is one thing; Normandy is a different thing. Does that make sense to, Young Deuce? Is it still like that up there?
yeah normandy is a dif city like how compton is a dif city from LA....normandy is a part of north county but when did u move because north county is "trying" ta be hard....but it has been getting worst....

KINGFEAR62
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by KINGFEAR62 » July 14th, 2007, 4:30 pm

Qdawg wrote:born in the south bronx but i claim the northeast bronx
where in the north east bronx are u from??? im from the border of bronx and mount vernon

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » July 14th, 2007, 5:08 pm

Young Deuce wrote: yeah normandy is a dif city like how compton is a dif city from LA....normandy is a part of north county but when did u move because north county is "trying" ta be hard....but it has been getting worst....
I moved to Houston back in 1992, but even then, things were getting bad. My family (both sides) had been in that area when it was still all white. My grandma lived in Northwoods until a few years ago when things started getting really bad.

Those neighborhoods were all white until the '60's, when blacks started moving in and "white flight" happened. My family was one of the few who stayed.

Interesting note: Anthony Giordano, the head of La Cosa Nostra in Saint Louis, lived across the street from my mother. He had a son, Tony, who was older than my mom, but she remembers his wedding. I think the wife (Kate) used to babysit my mother. He was out of the gangster dress by the time his family moved into Northwoods, but he was still a gangster. I remember going down North Broadway and my mom pointing out the old restaurant that Giordano used to own.

http://crimemagazine.com/giordano.htm

Yeah. And this all happened in Northwoods. I love St. Louis' history.

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Alabama
What city do you live in now?: see above

Unread post by punamusta » July 14th, 2007, 5:50 pm

Born and raised in Vantaa, Finland. To be more presice in Koivukylä (pictured above), a suburb in city of Vantaa. Now I live in Helsinki, but my roots, my heart and most of my family is in Koivukylä.

Young Deuce
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Young Deuce » July 14th, 2007, 6:30 pm

Anesis wrote:
Young Deuce wrote: yeah normandy is a dif city like how compton is a dif city from LA....normandy is a part of north county but when did u move because north county is "trying" ta be hard....but it has been getting worst....
I moved to Houston back in 1992, but even then, things were getting bad. My family (both sides) had been in that area when it was still all white. My grandma lived in Northwoods until a few years ago when things started getting really bad.

Those neighborhoods were all white until the '60's, when blacks started moving in and "white flight" happened. My family was one of the few who stayed.

Interesting note: Anthony Giordano, the head of La Cosa Nostra in Saint Louis, lived across the street from my mother. He had a son, Tony, who was older than my mom, but she remembers his wedding. I think the wife (Kate) used to babysit my mother. He was out of the gangster dress by the time his family moved into Northwoods, but he was still a gangster. I remember going down North Broadway and my mom pointing out the old restaurant that Giordano used to own.

http://crimemagazine.com/giordano.htm

Yeah. And this all happened in Northwoods. I love St. Louis' history.
92??? damn that was along time ago......i cant even imagine whites living in northwoods........all of those north county cities....jennings, wellston, pagedale, u-city, bellefountaine, spanish lake, berkeley, pine lawn, normandy, northwoods....almost all black if not all black......i think hazlewood is the border line of most of the black north counties because overland, st.ann, and all that is mostly white......

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » July 14th, 2007, 7:34 pm

[quote="KINGFEAR62"][quote="Qdawg"]born in the south bronx but i claim the northeast bronx[/quote]

where in the north east bronx are u from??? im from the border of bronx and mount vernon[/quote]

you by the border line not to far from my neighborhood...so you know about dyre avenue(last stop on the 5 train) ?anyway im from boston secor housing projects around the corner from the boston road shoppin center

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by NICKELS » July 15th, 2007, 2:20 am

I HANG WITH MOSTLY SKINHEADZ BUT IM COOLL WITH, KKK , BUT MY FAMILY IS MIXED WITH ARYAN BROTHERHOOD AND NAZI LOWRIDERS ,

HILLBILLY S INTERBREED LIKE EUROPEAN ROYALTY ......LOL AHAHAHAHAHAHA

FUCH ALL THIS SHYT HANG WITH WHO EVER DONT MAKE YOUR SKIN CRAWL..........

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by NICKELS » July 15th, 2007, 2:23 am

SORRY WRONG POST , ...........LOL , TIRED ITS LIKE 5 22 AM , CAME FROM A PARTY ......

oXJmAuPs2005Xo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oXJmAuPs2005Xo » July 16th, 2007, 10:33 am

Uptown Westside Cincinnati

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » July 16th, 2007, 11:29 am

I'm FROM Edmonton, Alberta. Was born there, wasn't raised but I did move back there in my 20's to live, I mean really LIVE and grow up and discover what it means to live on your own.

P.S. Sen, where's my shirt too!? :(

US_ARMED_FORCES

Newyork ALL DAY AND EVERY DAY

Unread post by US_ARMED_FORCES » August 3rd, 2007, 6:52 pm

I am orginally from Brooklyn, Nyc. My mother and fathere were born in Puerto Rico Madre, Moca, Puerto Rico Padre Santuce, Puerto Rico. My blood line is Puerto Rican.

one1hype
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by one1hype » August 7th, 2007, 3:29 pm

since when was 2pac from bronx...lol hes from brooklyn lol youngster tryin to clase pac as your own lol

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » August 7th, 2007, 8:38 pm

whatever, NY

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » August 8th, 2007, 3:06 am

I'm From The 7

flachill

Unread post by flachill » August 30th, 2007, 1:29 pm

Im from the big VA the seven cities, Hampton, Suffolk. Newportnews,Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Norfolk , and Virginia Beach my home town, where gangs get run outta town by real hustlers and where its all love with every race cause its so diverse,

hamo_uce
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by hamo_uce » January 10th, 2008, 8:13 pm

bORN in P- TOWN ( PALMESTON NORTH , NEW ZEALAND ) raised in MANGERE - STH AUCCLAND , NEW ZEALAND , WST LONG bEACH soCAL 562 - USA , KINGSTON - bRISBANE / MELBOURNE , AUSTRALIA ..........

My pARENTS frm FALEASI'U / VAIALA - UPOLU , WESTERN SAMOA.......... Im SAMOAN / CHINESE bACCGROUND......
:lol: pAYCE :lol: