maywether vs hatton

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ManifestTruth » December 12th, 2007, 3:21 pm

el clavo wrote:if mayweather and cotto fight, it'll be a 12-0 or 11-1 decision for mayweather.
No way Floyd shutouts out Cotto. Cotto's a real welterweight(not a huge welter like a
Paul Williams or Tony Margarito) who has shown he can handle speedy and mobile boxers.
Floyd was very impressive last Saturday nite, but it might be lunacy to suggest him and Cotto is anything but a toss up. If the fight does come off, dont be surprised if Cotto is installed as a slight favorite. It's a toss up fight in my humble opinion.

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » December 12th, 2007, 10:39 pm

ManifestTruth wrote:
el clavo wrote:if mayweather and cotto fight, it'll be a 12-0 or 11-1 decision for mayweather.
No way Floyd shutouts out Cotto. Cotto's a real welterweight(not a huge welter like a
Paul Williams or Tony Margarito) who has shown he can handle speedy and mobile boxers.
Floyd was very impressive last Saturday nite, but it might be lunacy to suggest him and Cotto is anything but a toss up. If the fight does come off, dont be surprised if Cotto is installed as a slight favorite. It's a toss up fight in my humble opinion.
I tend to agree with manifest truth. You have to think of how the refs will view the fight. I think he can be more effective with his aggression the Hatton was, so he might get some early rounds on aggression alone. Plus, he hits far harder than Hatton too, so while his shots may not pierce PBF's defense, they'll move him from sheer force; again, something that my sway judges.

I think in the end though, Mayweather's is too slick and will outpoint Cotto. Its almost reminds you of Chavez and Meldrick, but PBF isn't as offensive minded as Mel and won't leave himself open to the counters, and I also don't think that Cotto is as durable as Chavez and will have some of his power taken as the fight progresses.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » December 13th, 2007, 10:20 am

creativemind wrote:
ManifestTruth wrote:
I tend to agree with manifest truth. You have to think of how the refs will view the fight. I think he can be more effective with his aggression the Hatton was, so he might get some early rounds on aggression alone. Plus, he hits far harder than Hatton too, so while his shots may not pierce PBF's defense, they'll move him from sheer force; again, something that my sway judges.

I think in the end though, Mayweather's is too slick and will outpoint Cotto. Its almost reminds you of Chavez and Meldrick, but PBF isn't as offensive minded as Mel and won't leave himself open to the counters, and I also don't think that Cotto is as durable as Chavez and will have some of his power taken as the fight progresses.
Good Insight and comparison.

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ManifestTruth » December 13th, 2007, 12:32 pm

oso1 wrote:
creativemind wrote:
ManifestTruth wrote:

Good Insight and comparison.
No doubt, good historical parallel by Creative.

el clavo

Unread post by el clavo » December 13th, 2007, 2:31 pm

well, i think that cotto will pressure mayweather, but with his short t-rex arms, his punches will be bouncing off of mayweathers shoulders all night. also, cotto is always getting hurt by weak right hands to the head. corley, who hits lighter than a feather, made him wobble very badly across the right. mayweathers right will land at will, eventually knocking him out, or winning by a WAYYYYYY easy decision.

you can't use the taylor/chavez example in this case. chavez actually had an iron chin while cotto's is weak, and mayweather hits way harder than meldrick did. taylor pitty patted chavez all night while floyd will do some damage.

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » December 13th, 2007, 8:08 pm

el clavo wrote:well, i think that cotto will pressure mayweather, but with his short t-rex arms, his punches will be bouncing off of mayweathers shoulders all night. also, cotto is always getting hurt by weak right hands to the head. corley, who hits lighter than a feather, made him wobble very badly across the right. mayweathers right will land at will, eventually knocking him out, or winning by a WAYYYYYY easy decision.

you can't use the taylor/chavez example in this case. chavez actually had an iron chin while cotto's is weak, and mayweather hits way harder than meldrick did. taylor pitty patted chavez all night while floyd will do some damage.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that Mayweather hits WAY harder than Meldrick. Meldrick relied on his speedy combinations, whereas PBF places his shots better. Mel was busy try to throw an 8 punch combo, while PBF throw a good 3 piece.

I don't necessarily think Cotto has a weak chin. Anybody can get caught. The thing is he has no defense and don't really care, so he gets hit more often. Trust me, Shane would have stretched him if he had a weak chin, and Shane hits harder than PBF.

I don't know why were pretending that Hatton was gonnd be a tough fight for Floyd. Luis Collazo rocked Hatton world, but HBO made sure that Ricky got a gift decision so they could cash in on the Floyd fight. The plan work but Hatton got exposed. Anybody who knows boxing knows that Hatton is the European Arturo Gatti. He not only got KTFO by Floyd, he would get mopped up by Tony Margarido, Paul Williams, Zab Judah, Shane, and a few others.

Cotto would be a good, hard fight, but he can't beat PBF.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » December 19th, 2007, 10:47 pm

How many 1st round KOs does Floyd Mayweather have?

I believe Ricky Hatton gave Mayweather one of his toughest fights ever. Hatton had him on the ropes, Floyd was on the defense and turning his back like he always does when he does not want to get hit and cant use his movement to avoid a punch, Floyd was doing all the holding for the first seven or eight rounds, and Hatton was dictating the fight up until round 8. Ricky Hatton just fought a bad fight and used very little defense and head movement, and threw punches that were missing.

Cotto, is much stronger, does defend much better, moves slower than Hatton, but punches as fast. Thats would be a great fight but Mayweather wants no piece of Cotto. He is smart to just take a layoff and retire undefeated. Will Mayweather come back? we'll see.

el clavo

Unread post by el clavo » December 20th, 2007, 9:55 am

Cotto does not defend much better than Hatton. He is hit easily with the overhand right. Mayweather would have a field day.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » December 20th, 2007, 8:10 pm

el clavo wrote:Cotto does not defend much better than Hatton. He is hit easily with the overhand right. Mayweather would have a field day.
Hatton walks right into the straight right hand. What fight did you see Cotto walking into jabs throughout the fight?

rocstar
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by rocstar » December 20th, 2007, 11:42 pm

alexalonso wrote:Floyd was on the defense and turning his back like he always does when he does not want to get hit and cant use his movement to avoid a punch, Floyd was doing all the holding for the first seven or eight rounds, and Hatton was dictating the fight up until round 8. Ricky Hatton just fought a bad fight and used very little defense and head movement, and threw punches that were missing.
I didnt see that at all. Hatton may have won 1 round at the most. And thats without Mayweather fighting his normal fight. He didnt do much moving around and dancing. He could have made the fight much easier if he fought his normal style.

I think Cotto will give him a much better fight. Cotto impressed me against Shane Mosley. His defense is way better than Cotto's and his counterpunching was good. He is also faster than I thought.