MAYATE-WHAT DOES IT MEAN

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

MAYATE-WHAT DOES IT MEAN

Unread post by 100 » January 19th, 2008, 10:09 pm

I ASKED A WOMAN WHO IS ACTUALLY FROM MEXICO THATS AFRICAN/FRENCH SHE SAID IT MEANS BUMBLEBEE.

BUT IN AMERICA WHAT DOES IT MEAN? WHO IS IT APPLIED TO?

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » January 19th, 2008, 10:49 pm

From what I gathered, it was the Spanish version of the N word...

VALERO
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by VALERO » January 20th, 2008, 12:26 am

A Ghost wrote:From what I gathered, it was the Spanish version of the N word...
I'm going to tell all of you what an old guy told me back in high school 6-8 years ago. Like me, he's black. We obviously know that in today's language it's a racial slur that many Mexicans use in a derogatory manner towards blacks. I'm sure many Sureno gangsters in Los Angeles refer to their black rivals or any black person as mayates. I'm sure when the Mexican Mafia starts riots in the L.A. county jail and in California prisons, their battle cry is "attack the mayates." So, in a way, it's the Mexican nigger.

However, this old guy, who like I said is black like I am, told me that Mexicans first started using mayate as a term of endearment towards blacks in relation to the zoot suit/jazz culture that was popularized by blacks. Many people know that Mexican guys in Los Angeles were known for wearing zoot suits. What a lot of people don't know is that black guys on the east coast and Midwest were the first ones to popularize the wearing of zoot suits in America, at least 10 years and maybe even 20, 30, or 40 years before Mexicans in Los Angeles started popularizing the look. A lot of this was connected to the jazz culture amongst blacks during this time period. A lot of black musicians wore zoot suits, and so did everyday black men when going out on the town. The zoot suit also had a bad rep amongst blacks on the east coast and Midwest like it did amongst Mexican-Americans in Los Angeles.

Just like Mexican L.A. guys wearing zoot suits were stereotyped as being gangsters, black east coast guys wearing zoot suits were stereotyped as being gangsters. L.A. had its Mexican-American gangbanging culture, while east coast blacks had their gangster culture of hustling and numbers, a type of gambling prevalent in many black communities in the early and mid 1900s. A great popular culture representation of all this is the movie Malcolm X, the one directed by Spike Lee and starring Denzel Washington. Notice how Denzel portraying Malcolm X and Spike Lee portraying his friend wear zoot suits while they are either in New York or Boston and the whole jazz culture/black gangster culture that surrounds them during this period (and yes, the black mobsters in many, if not most, of these east coast cities did have connections to the big-time Italian, Jewish, and Irish gangsters of the time).

Back to the old guy. He was saying that because so many Mexican-Americans admired the style and fashion sense of blacks in relation to zoot suits and the jazz culture, Mexicans coined the term mayate in relation to blacks as a term of admiration of the black culture, thus leading to the wearing of zoot suits by Mexicans since they liked the style as popularized by blacks. I think he may have told me (or someone else did) that the word mayate is an actual word that refers to a type of bug found in various Latin American countries, a bug that is appropriately enough black in color. Thus, Mexicans transfered the black color of the bug to black people themselves. Thus, the word mayate began as a term of endearment.

Somewhere, the meaning of this word changed. Mexicans started to use mayate towards blacks in a demeaning and racist manner. A bug is a bug, and the mayate bug is no exception. Bugs are considered ugly, annoying, and small, thus subject to extermination. Blacks came to be seen like the mayate bug itself-ugly, disgusting, annoying, and in the cases of Sureno gangsters and La Eme shotcallers, subject to killings, whether those "mayates" are Crips and Bloods or innocent, non-gang affiliated bystanders. Therefore, instead of the color of the bug just being used in reference to blacks, all of the negative features of bugs were transferred onto the word to be used in a racist manner towards blacks.

Like I said, this story of the word mayate was told to me by an old black man 6-8 years ago. The state I live in, Texas, has large black and Mexican populations like California so I assumed the guy knew what he was talking about. Just a possible theory about the word mayate and its history.

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » January 20th, 2008, 12:31 am

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mayate

4. mayate 81 up, 14 down

literal definition is a dung beatle. little black beatle that rolls shit everywhere it goes. it's a derogatory term used in spanish slang to refer to dark skinned people.
no man, we don't use the word nigger, cause its a retardation of the word negro, and that just means black. we call you worse, we call y'all mayates.
by GSYBE Oct 2, 2006 email it
5. mayate 83 up, 23 down

Hispanic slang for a person of dark skin color
its like when you say hello in spanish
to a black person.....as in "orale mayate"...the word originates from the slow moving,large insect that seems to just "bumble around" as it flies...its coat is colorful but the insect seems purposeless in its movements
by Humberto De Maricones Nov 24, 2003 email it

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » January 20th, 2008, 11:17 am

It is a bug that rolls in shit. LOL dirty ass word.

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » January 20th, 2008, 11:24 am

How the hell you going to call someone a bug that rolls in shit as a term of endearment lolz. Its like calling an asian a panda or a hispanic a donkey. Yea endearment ok.

VALERO
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by VALERO » January 20th, 2008, 1:53 pm

NikexCortez wrote:How the hell you going to call someone a bug that rolls in shit as a term of endearment lolz. Its like calling an asian a panda or a hispanic a donkey. Yea endearment ok.
NikexCortez, I'm just telling you what the old guy told me. He said when Mexicans first started using it they weren't referencing it in relation to the disgusting and negative features of the bug (as in rolling around in shit, not having any purpose, etc.), just in relation to its black color and I guess its colorfulness also. If you read Justice League's explanation, he mentions the bug being described as colorful. I guess what the old guy meant was that the zoot suit dress and jazz culture of blacks was colorful and fashionable in the eyes of Mexicans, just like the colorful mayate bug itself.

You can agree with it or disagree, just relaying what an old black man told to me, a young black man, back in high school. I'm from Texas, so maybe its usage was totally different out in Cali. Texas, like California, has large numbers of both blacks and Mexicans.

twocost
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: MAYATE-WHAT DOES IT MEAN

Unread post by twocost » January 26th, 2008, 8:36 pm

100 wrote:I ASKED A WOMAN WHO IS ACTUALLY FROM MEXICO THATS AFRICAN/FRENCH SHE SAID IT MEANS BUMBLEBEE.

Mayate is spanish slang for Nigger. It could also mean Faggot, or Fagget I don't know how its spelled. There are also verriations of the words.

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » January 27th, 2008, 12:29 am

twocost wrote:
100 wrote:I ASKED A WOMAN WHO IS ACTUALLY FROM MEXICO THATS AFRICAN/FRENCH SHE SAID IT MEANS BUMBLEBEE.

Mayate is spanish slang for Nigger. It could also mean Faggot, or Fagget I don't know how its spelled. There are also verriations of the words.
i thought Puto was a faggot.

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » January 27th, 2008, 2:06 pm

that means bitch^

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » January 27th, 2008, 11:01 pm

Mcminister wrote:that means bitch^

I thought putA means whore.....

and if we wanna get technical... a boy bitch IS a faggot! :twisted:

twocost
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by twocost » January 29th, 2008, 10:27 am

justice league wrote:
twocost wrote:

There are different ways to say faggot. Just like in english. Gay, faggot, homo, dohnut puncher, queer ext...

Puto means faggot and puta means whore, female slut.

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » January 30th, 2008, 12:51 am

twocost wrote:
justice league wrote:
twocost wrote:

There are different ways to say faggot. Just like in english. Gay, faggot, homo, dohnut puncher, queer ext...

Puto means faggot and puta means whore, female slut.
yeah... .thats what i said.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » January 30th, 2008, 1:40 am

in its literal meaning, I think it is a "knat" one of those tiny flies. Mexicans love using this term for blacks, but I heard it used among central americans too.

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » January 30th, 2008, 1:48 am

alexalonso wrote:in its literal meaning, I think it is a "knat" one of those tiny flies. Mexicans love using this term for blacks, but I heard it used among central americans too.
I dont mean to split hairs....but you mean "gnat", right?

twocost
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by twocost » January 31st, 2008, 9:35 pm

alexalonso wrote:in its literal meaning, I think it is a "knat" one of those tiny flies. Mexicans love using this term for blacks, but I heard it used among central americans too.
You can't say Mexicans love using this term for blacks because not all Mexicans are like that bro. Some hate it. Shit my hommies chick flips the fuck out when she hears that shit. She says it makes us look like animals and makes the race look bad. But yeah the Mexicans that your thinking of, more Chicano "americanized" thug Compton Mexicans do. Some say it not meaning offense in any way thats just how they refer to a black person. I'm not saying its right, I ain't gonna lie I slip some times to because where I'm from every one uses the word. Kinda like how some blacks have to call whites "white boy" not knowing that it offends a lot of lite skinned people. Notice how I said some because not all are like this. Just like not all Mexicans will refer to a black as a "mayate"

Its kinda offensive for someone to say that because not all of us are like that just the ones you've came in contact with.

abc543@
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by abc543@ » February 11th, 2008, 1:38 am

Y THEY CALL US THAT

HarrisAve1600
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by HarrisAve1600 » April 2nd, 2008, 11:53 pm

PRETTY MUCH IT'S A DISS 2 A BLACC PERSON, JUS LIKE SAYIN "NIGGER".

Black_Kingz86
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Black_Kingz86 » April 3rd, 2008, 2:13 pm

85% of LA Mexicans can eat my dick fuck em.

GLS

Unread post by GLS » June 12th, 2008, 4:09 am

The N word

TheReal
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re:

Unread post by TheReal » June 12th, 2008, 11:38 am

VALERO wrote:
Back to the old guy. He was saying that because so many Mexican-Americans admired the style and fashion sense of blacks in relation to zoot suits and the jazz culture, Mexicans coined the term mayate in relation to blacks as a term of admiration of the black culture, thus leading to the wearing of zoot suits by Mexicans since they liked the style as popularized by blacks. I think he may have told me (or someone else did) that the word mayate is an actual word that refers to a type of bug found in various Latin American countries, a bug that is appropriately enough black in color. Thus, Mexicans transfered the black color of the bug to black people themselves. Thus, the word mayate began as a term of endearment.

Somewhere, the meaning of this word changed. Mexicans started to use mayate towards blacks in a demeaning and racist manner. A bug is a bug, and the mayate bug is no exception. Bugs are considered ugly, annoying, and small, thus subject to extermination. Blacks came to be seen like the mayate bug itself-ugly, disgusting, annoying, and in the cases of Sureno gangsters and La Eme shotcallers, subject to killings, whether those "mayates" are Crips and Bloods or innocent, non-gang affiliated bystanders. Therefore, instead of the color of the bug just being used in reference to blacks, all of the negative features of bugs were transferred onto the word to be used in a racist manner towards blacks.
Interesting historical spin...

Most mexicans I've known, admitted that the word has negative racial under and overtones. I view the word similar to the word "nigger."

Vincetheprince
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Riverside

Unread post by Vincetheprince » June 25th, 2008, 4:35 pm

Racial derrogatorry term used by hispanics when they talk about African Americans

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento

Unread post by StillNoScript » June 25th, 2008, 5:11 pm

It doesn't mean the N word. Mexicans racist against blacks use the same N word white racists use. It means beetle. But, it's still insulting. It's an attempt to equate black people with small, pestering bugs.

Vincetheprince
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Vincetheprince » June 25th, 2008, 5:44 pm

You're right but that still means it's derrogatorry

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento

Unread post by StillNoScript » July 6th, 2008, 2:02 am

Vincetheprince wrote:You're right but that still means it's derrogatorry
Unless black people perfectly accept being compared to small, pestering bugs, I'd have to agree. It basically means "n*gger", and there's not a black person in the SW United States that doesn't know it. It's a fighting word if said around blacks.

Vincetheprince
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Vincetheprince » July 6th, 2008, 2:07 am

True, "them be fightin' words"

Tre
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tre » February 4th, 2011, 3:06 am

justice league wrote:http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mayate

4. mayate 81 up, 14 down

literal definition is a dung beatle. little black beatle that rolls shit everywhere it goes. it's a derogatory term used in spanish slang to refer to dark skinned people.
no man, we don't use the word nigger, cause its a retardation of the word negro, and that just means black. we call you worse, we call y'all mayates.
by GSYBE Oct 2, 2006 email it
5. mayate 83 up, 23 down

You are right, the definition of mayate is dung beetle or what Egyptians call a scarab. Dung beetles give new meaning to the term 'get your shit together!'

The word is not derogatory, unless you're just ignorant. Dung beetles are considered the world's strongest and toughest insect (due to their outer shell). These mayates are resilient, active, even the smallest among them don't have to compete so much for female attention due to their "substantially bigger testicles".

On average a dung beetle can pull about 1141 times its own body weight which is equivalent to a human... bench pressing fifty times his own weight!!!

Tre
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tre » February 4th, 2011, 3:16 am

justice league wrote:http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mayate

Hispanic slang for a person of dark skin color
its like when you say hello in spanish
to a black person.....as in "orale mayate"...the word originates from the slow moving,large insect that seems to just "bumble around" as it flies...its coat is colorful but the insect seems purposeless in its movements
by Humberto De Maricones Nov 24, 2003 email it
Earthworms, microbes, dung beetles... Purposeless in its movements?? Wow!

If it wasn't for these unappreciated janitors that run shit and help dispose of waste, garbage and dead matter, this ball of mud you call a planet would be in deep SHIT!
In Kemetic culture the ancient Egyptians found certain properties of 'mayate' as being like God or God like, and so mayate became a part of the royal script in which Kings and Queens used to capture their names in 'cartouches'.

Mayate was literally the face of ancient Kemet!

viewtopic.php?f=233&t=41486&hilit=mayate

mayugastank
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Whittier

Unread post by mayugastank » February 14th, 2011, 8:39 pm

TRE,

STOP. You are constantly insinuating Mexicans as racist-but every race in the world has a term for blacks'.......Moolian -Italian, Mayate -mexican, Nigger-Whites-French call them bullfrogs-everyone.........sad but true Blacks and Jews have been the most stereotyped races on earth-Jews for their ability to generate and prosper wherever they land and for their customs that defy any nation they land in. They are known for an arrogance-and superiority complex that makes Gentiles want to humble them. Blacks are stereotyped as on par with animals or the lowest human form of man -yet still man. The world has lived this way for at least 2000 years and multiculturalism and respect for others is still a fairly new school of thought.

Given equal oppurtunity blacks have throughly dominated-every physical sport/feat and competition. No other race even comes close-be it running/weightlifting/boxing/jumping/.........whatever*

They havent scored as well in academia because like every animal ( of which humans fit into this category )(bred for either weight/height/strength) their physical strengths have been more so prounnounced over giving them intellectual capacity.

Imagine a brother built like Adonis-strong as a bear, agile-quick and healthy up until his 60s with intelligence? Whew.....their would be no stopping the black race! But seriously what really as form of oppression have Mexicans done to blacks? I dont know if your flaming the fires-but hatred for blacks has been preached from time immortal till what the 1960s? when blacks were first starting to be viewed as humans? what do you think is going to happen in 50 years as compared to at least 2000+? when these racist die or die off and when their children begin to interbreed we will have an expansion of thought---but in my and your lifetime much has changed and even teh younger generation of Mexican Americans have begun to accept blacks as mates and friends....just drive through a middle school and you will see teh amount of interracial black kids are most equal to the amount of pure black children. I get that you grew up in another time but you must release the helium in your brain.

FAVELA9
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: san diego

Unread post by FAVELA9 » February 15th, 2011, 10:52 am

whoa !

mayate is a black bumble bee and no its not the same as nigger mexicans dont really care about the slave issue

its like anything if a guy is from mars

people are gonna find a name thats kind of funny but has something to do with them at the same time

el ufo
el omni
etc etc

Tre
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tre » February 18th, 2011, 10:54 am

--WHOA-- All I did was suggest MAYATE IS A GOD IN EGYPT!

ImageImage

Next thing I know Mayuga is going off the deep end!
Half the shit you post Mayuga doesn't even relate to anything I'm talking about, or for that matter what anyone else here is talking about. I don't like black and Mexican children going to school together? WTF?? LOL! Where did that shit come from?? I don't know where you get your info from bruh, but certainly not from anything I've posted. Please Mayuga before you check what's seeping out my head, you should first check the helium in yours first bruh!

Any brutha on this planet with any knowledge understands the allegorical context of the word Mayate with GOD... and I'm not just talking about black folks, certain Indian tribes like the Chaco Indians in South America also affiliated the word Mayate with the creator, they called him Aksak...

Tre
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tre » February 18th, 2011, 11:03 am

... and no Mayuga I'm not saying ALL Mexicans are racist, but what I am saying is that those few that believe they are insulting folks by calling them Mayate are very ignorant. Throughout many cultures, some right in your own backyard, if you think calling them Mayate (GOD) is a form of disrespect... peeps may just smile, or simply LOL at your ignorance :lol:

World Cup: South Africa vs Mexica