The Mexican Mafia by Tony Rafael

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

The Mexican Mafia by Tony Rafael

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » June 2nd, 2007, 9:59 pm

Amazon is primed to sell this in the hat guy's book. I don't think he's going to make many fans with this though. Check out the Editorial Review on at Amazon.

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento

Unread post by StillNoScript » June 2nd, 2007, 10:33 pm

Somebody posted a review in his blog comments section, too. I guess his main source is a the. This book is definitely coming from a right wing point of view.

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » June 2nd, 2007, 11:00 pm

In my opinion so far (admittedly I haven't had a chance to read it as it's not released to the public yet), it's coming from the law-and-order point of view which is typical for the genre (which is fine if someone in law and order were writing it and not Wally). How much of this is his publisher's marketing department doings and how much of it is his is still in question. There's often some tug-of-war there. I haven't been impressed by this guy to be honest. Despite all his "gumshoe" investigating, I don't think he ever really took the time to learn the real like Alonso did. There was a time when Alonso risked life and limb to get at the real. You have to respect that. This guy talks like he likes to mix it up but I wonder if he didn't get most of his info from the cops?

Sort of like that Brit did recently on his expose` on Peni. He flys over here, goes to The Shack, gets the cold shoulder, runs to the police and busts in on Mar Vista looking for a story. Then he pieces that mess together with a bunch of stuff off the internet. What a waste of time. Looked like he was trying to make a quick buck while vacationing in the states if you ask me.

Wally dug deeper than that, I have to admit, but did he ever get at what's real? I guess we'll have to read the book to know.
StillNoScript wrote:Somebody posted a review in his blog comments section, too. I guess his main source is a the. This book is definitely coming from a right wing point of view.

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by StillNoScript » June 3rd, 2007, 10:38 pm

I check out the inthehat blog all the time. Everybody's anonymous there so it's hard to tell who's really who. There was one commenter there named "Tijuana Jailer" who's a former CO, but he was hella cool and didn't take that hard line attitude. He would break down the beginnings of both the Mexican Mafia and Nuestra Familia, giving the good and bad of both, as he worked in Quintin in the '60s and' 70s.

Wally always takes the pro cop approach, no matter what. A lot of cops sit in that comments section (or perhaps Wally himself even though he claims he doesn't respond to people in there) and wait for someone to post anything blaming anyone other than the gangs themselves for the entire gang problem. And when someone does, they just tear that person apart and label them as being a cop hater, etc. Trying to morph them in with terrorist types. I just check the blog out every now and then because once in a while some old school homeboy will come in there and tell a good story.

willihen
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by willihen » June 6th, 2007, 5:39 am

I've already got in preordered.
can't wait.

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » June 6th, 2007, 12:56 pm

Yeah I wondered if that Tijuana Jailer was LoneWolf... lol. And there are a lot of cops in there too doing exactly as you say. Did you see that Mongols thread when Lucifer (the guy who introduced the ATF agent to the San Fernando Valley Mongols) came on line to defend himself against some ex-Mongol kicked to the curb that was just raging about Doc. He sounded like The Real back in the day... lol. I tell you I was R O L L I N G. And then Hippo came online crying that nobody ever visited him except Lucifer (who left CA to stay with him in AZ for six months while the heat cooled down). Haha, I was like these guys need to call a church meeting and straighten this out. It was like junior high school time in there man. Way too funny.
StillNoScript wrote:I check out the inthehat blog all the time. Everybody's anonymous there so it's hard to tell who's really who. There was one commenter there named "Tijuana Jailer" who's a former CO, but he was hella cool and didn't take that hard line attitude. He would break down the beginnings of both the Mexican Mafia and Nuestra Familia, giving the good and bad of both, as he worked in Quintin in the '60s and' 70s.

Wally always takes the pro cop approach, no matter what. A lot of cops sit in that comments section (or perhaps Wally himself even though he claims he doesn't respond to people in there) and wait for someone to post anything blaming anyone other than the gangs themselves for the entire gang problem. And when someone does, they just tear that person apart and label them as being a cop hater, etc. Trying to morph them in with terrorist types. I just check the blog out every now and then because once in a while some old school homeboy will come in there and tell a good story.

KING KONG
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by KING KONG » August 4th, 2007, 8:49 am

FUCK THOSE MEXICAN MAFIA RACIST FAGGOTS!

philip691

Unread post by philip691 » August 13th, 2007, 9:32 pm

WACK! waste of money he should of called it "Life in Highland park" by the Los Angeles the.

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by StillNoScript » August 16th, 2007, 12:46 am

It really is boring. And, yes, it was more about former D.A. Manzella than it was even about either gangs or the Mexican Mafia.

willihen
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by willihen » September 23rd, 2007, 11:23 am

I disagree. I found the book very interesting and a good read. It does focus mainly in NELA but tells alot of MM.
Great book, well written.

Not action packed, and geared more for regular readers.
good job, rafael.

jesuschrist
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by jesuschrist » September 27th, 2007, 6:42 pm

willihen wrote:I disagree. I found the book very interesting and a good read. It does focus mainly in NELA but tells alot of MM.

good job, rafael.
THAT BOOK SUCKED !!I WAS WAITING FOR THE STORY TO BE DEALING WITH THE MM IT WAS TOTALLY ABOUT THE AVENUES NOT EVEN THE MM-THE MM WAS HARDLY COVERED HE DIDNT DEAL WITH THE LARGEST RICO CASE OF THE MM WHEN FOOLS FROM OTHER AREAS WERE UNITING ALL LATINO GANGS AND BASICALLY CONTROLLING ALL LA--IT WAS SIMPLY ABOUT THE MM WHO WERE AVENUES MEMBERS I WAS REALLY DISAPPOINTED I WANTED TO SEE HOW THEY OPERATED AND WHAT THEY WERE ABOUT INSTEAD I GOT A BOOK DEALING WITH GANGS-ONLY 1 MEMBER OF THE MM WAS ACTUALLY COVERED IN THAT BOOK--GANGSTER FROM AVENUES AND HE DIDNT EVEN BECOME AN MM MEMBER TILLAFTER HIS TRIAL-WHAT A CROCK OF SHIT!!THEIR WERE 5 MM MEMBERS FROM THE AVES AND THE BOOK DIDNT EVEN SPEND TIME ON THEIR ACTIVITIES OR DEALINGS ------TO EVERYONE INTERESTED OUT THERE DONT BUY THIS BOOK!!!!!

274soldier

Re: The Mexican Mafia by Tony Rafael

Unread post by 274soldier » November 29th, 2008, 6:01 pm

Yeah book is written from a Law n Order point of view and mainly focusses on the Highland Park area and Avenue gangsters.
Was interestin but also found to be repeatative

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: The Mexican Mafia by Tony Rafael

Unread post by StillNoScript » November 30th, 2008, 4:14 pm

Go to inthehat.blogspot.com. That's the author's blog. Almost everything in that book is in that blog's archives, and the blog isn't half as boring. Much less of the mundane LE specifics. Just gets right down to the street drama.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re:

Unread post by alexalonso » June 22nd, 2012, 2:49 pm

willihen wrote:I disagree. I found the book very interesting and a good read. It does focus mainly in NELA but tells alot of MM.

good job, rafael.

I found the book interesting too, He really went in hard on Tom Hayden's version of events regarding La Eme in his book, Street Wars, which I also enjoyed reading.