suspected gang members charged with killing L.A. Deputy

For news related to any city in Los Angeles County area read here.
1santo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Bell Gardens

suspected gang members charged with killing L.A. Deputy

Unread post by 1santo » December 17th, 2008, 2:31 pm

2 suspected gang members charged with killing L.A. County sheriff's deputy

They are accused of capital murder in the shooting of Juan Abel Escalante outside his parents' Cypress Park home. Both are alleged members of the notorious Avenues gang.
B
y Richard Winton
December 17, 2008

Two suspected Avenues gang members were charged Tuesday with capital murder in the shooting of Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy Juan Abel Escalante outside his parents' home.

Carlos Javier Velasquez, 24, the alleged gunman, and Guillermo Hernandez, 20, were charged with one count each of murder with the special circumstance that the Aug. 2 killing was carried out to further a criminal street gang, making it a potential death penalty case, prosecutors said.

Thousands attend slain deputy's...Slain deputy's wife pleads for witnesses to step forward
Prosecutors will decide later whether to pursue the death penalty against the defendants, said Jane Robison, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County district attorney's office.

Velasquez also was charged with possession of a firearm by a felon.

Arraignment for Velasquez and Hernandez was postponed until Dec. 30.

The two men were arrested Friday after months of investigation by a joint task force of Los Angeles Police Department robbery-homicide detectives, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Homicide Bureau and members of the Los Angeles High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas task force.

The two suspects are alleged members of the notorious Avenues gang, which has long feuded with the Cypress Park gang whose territory includes the northeast Los Angeles neighborhood where Escalante lived.

The Avenues gang is among the most powerful gangs in the city and retains strong ties to the Mexican Mafia, which is a dominant force in California prisons.

Despite the suspects' gang affiliation, investigators still don't know why Escalante was shot to death Aug. 2 near the 3400 block of Thorpe Avenue. At a news conference Saturday, police did not say whether the shooting was a random attack or whether Escalante was targeted.

"We are still seeking additional information," Los Angeles Police Chief William J. Bratton said Saturday, adding that the investigation has been "very, very, very difficult." He said police were aided by tipsters.

There is still "an effort to search for additional suspects that may have been involved in the murder of Escalante," according to a police statement.

Escalante, 27, who worked at the Men's Central Jail guarding some of the county's most dangerous inmates, was gunned down outside his parents' Cypress Park home about 5:40 a.m. as he prepared to go to work.

He was adjusting a child's car seat in a vehicle when he was shot in the back of the head.

Celeste Escalante heard the gunfire, looked out her window and saw her husband lying on the ground. Escalante had worked for the Sheriff's Department for 2 1/2 years and had served in the Army Reserve.

"When one of us is brutally killed, all of us grieve," Sheriff Lee Baca said at Saturday's news conference, speaking to Celeste Escalante and her family. "Hopefully, this will lift some of the pain that's on your shoulders."

richard.winton@latimes.com

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re: suspected gang members charged with killing L.A. Deputy

Unread post by alexalonso » December 18th, 2008, 2:04 pm

this was a shooting that happened a few months back, right?

1santo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 1santo » December 18th, 2008, 2:09 pm

Yeah. they just got a hold of these suspects. Lot of theories floating around about why this happened.

chupon106
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Texas
What city do you live in now?: Mission TX

Unread post by chupon106 » December 26th, 2008, 4:39 am

One of the theories is that La Eme had a hit on him cause he worked in the segregation unit in the county jail where several Eme members are held before they get sent upstate. A few Eme shot callers are from the Avenues. Probably this fool disrespected a carnal and thats why he's not around today.

dubts
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by dubts » December 26th, 2008, 5:56 pm

chupon106 wrote:One of the theories is that La Eme had a hit on him cause he worked in the segregation unit in the county jail where several Eme members are held before they get sent upstate. A few Eme shot callers are from the Avenues. Probably this fool disrespected a carnal and thats why he's not around today.
lol "carnal's" get disrespected daily in the pen, and nothings done about it... stop with the extras buddy boy

chupon106
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by chupon106 » December 27th, 2008, 12:05 am

dubts wrote:
chupon106 wrote:One of the theories is that La Eme had a hit on him cause he worked in the segregation unit in the county jail where several Eme members are held before they get sent upstate. A few Eme shot callers are from the Avenues. Probably this fool disrespected a carnal and thats why he's not around today.
lol "carnal's" get disrespected daily in the pen, and nothings done about it... stop with the extras buddy boy
Lol... Your a racist idiot who can never admit that raza puts in work... Eme members get disrespected on a daily basis?? I cant wait till you hit the pen and say the same shit you say on here. Doubt that'll ever really happen though 'nigga'! Lol...

dubts
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by dubts » December 27th, 2008, 1:32 am

chupon106 wrote:
dubts wrote:
Lol... Your a racist idiot who can never admit that raza puts in work... Eme members get disrespected on a daily basis?? I cant wait till you hit the pen and say the same shit you say on here. Doubt that'll ever really happen though 'nigga'! Lol...
how am i racist? you don't ese's get disrespected in the pen? you a complete idiot, whoever they go to war with is trying to stab and kill them, but i guess in your eyes thats not disrespect

chupon106
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by chupon106 » December 27th, 2008, 10:42 am

Lol... Your a racist idiot who can never admit that raza puts in work... Eme members get disrespected on a daily basis?? I cant wait till you hit the pen and say the same shit you say on here. Doubt that'll ever really happen though 'nigga'! Lol...[/quote]
how am i racist? you don't ese's get disrespected in the pen? you a complete idiot, whoever they go to war with is trying to stab and kill them, but i guess in your eyes thats not disrespect[/quote]

I called you a racist cause' I seen about hundred posts on this site with you dissing Mexicans. The stabbings and killings are not an everyday thing but when they do occur a lot of the time it is over disrespect. Saying that, it's a real possibility that was the motive for the deputies' murder.

dubts
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by dubts » December 27th, 2008, 12:23 pm

chupon106 wrote:Lol... Your a racist idiot who can never admit that raza puts in work... Eme members get disrespected on a daily basis?? I cant wait till you hit the pen and say the same shit you say on here. Doubt that'll ever really happen though 'nigga'! Lol...
how am i racist? you don't ese's get disrespected in the pen? you a complete idiot, whoever they go to war with is trying to stab and kill them, but i guess in your eyes thats not disrespect[/quote]

I called you a racist cause' I seen about hundred posts on this site with you dissing Mexicans. The stabbings and killings are not an everyday thing but when they do occur a lot of the time it is over disrespect. Saying that, it's a real possibility that was the motive for the deputies' murder.[/quote]
where did i diss mexicans on this site?

pistolslanga
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by pistolslanga » December 27th, 2008, 7:31 pm

well......it happened by cypress park so.....it probably had ties with la eme..

1santo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 1santo » January 2nd, 2009, 1:14 pm

That's one theory. The definition of "disrespect" is what's really up for debate. Did he try to humilate a powerful individual, fooled around with his lady, or harrased his visitors? Other theories are he may have stolen something; i.e. drugs or money. Maybe he he was too good at his job and was preventing certain communications or movements from happening. Who said the beef started with Carnal? It could've been started with an AB or BGF and the contract carried out because of the neighborhood the man frequented. Still others say it could have been two crazy fools just trying to make a name for themselves and nothing more and nothing less. Whatever the case, I don't think these guys are gonna rat anybody out. They are looking to be career criminals and ratting is a sure way to shorten that career choice. They are looking at a serious sentence and the best they can hope for at this point is Life Without Parole.

AllhoodPublications
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Montreal

Unread post by AllhoodPublications » January 2nd, 2009, 3:15 pm

1santo wrote:Who said the beef started with Carnal? It could've been started with an AB or BGF and the contract carried out because of the neighborhood the man frequented.
BGF is not prevalent in L.A. and definitely don't have a presence in the L.A. County Jail...

AllhoodPublications
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Montreal

Unread post by AllhoodPublications » January 2nd, 2009, 3:40 pm

"Who said the beef started with Carnal? It could've been started with an AB or BGF and the contract carried out because of the neighborhood the man frequented."

The BGF is not prevalent in L.A. and they don't have a presence in the L.A. County Jail... more importantly, two members of the Avenues wouldn't be carrying out a hit for the BGF...

Initially, I was thinking LA Eme may have been upset that he didn't assist them with contraband while in high powered, but It seems more like a random act- mistaking him for a member of Cypress.

chupon106
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by chupon106 » January 3rd, 2009, 1:05 am

One of theories is that La Eme had a hit on him. Knowing what I know about La Eme and the prison gangs in my area, I think that's probably why it occured. Am I psychic? No, I don't know for sure this was the case but that's what I think. My 2nd guess is that it was a random gang murder since it took place in an area known for street gang violence.

dubts
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by dubts » January 3rd, 2009, 2:14 am

chupon106 wrote:One of theories is that La Eme had a hit on him. Knowing what I know about La Eme and the prison gangs in my area, I think that's probably why it occured. Am I psychic? No, I don't know for sure this was the case but that's what I think. My 2nd guess is that it was a random gang murder since it took place in an area known for street gang violence.
they already said its a random gang hit you idiot
la eme is way overhyped on this board like they got some magic powers to get people killed, in reality they nothin but another prison gang thats startin to fall apart at the seems........

1santo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 1santo » January 3rd, 2009, 9:43 pm

AllhoodPublications wrote:"Who said the beef started with Carnal? It could've been started with an AB or BGF and the contract carried out because of the neighborhood the man frequented."

The BGF is not prevalent in L.A. and they don't have a presence in the L.A. County Jail... more importantly, two members of the Avenues wouldn't be carrying out a hit for the BGF...

Initially, I was thinking LA Eme may have been upset that he didn't assist them with contraband while in high powered, but It seems more like a random act- mistaking him for a member of Cypress.
My bad I was thinking in terms of prisons.

1santo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 1santo » January 3rd, 2009, 9:53 pm

they already said its a random gang hit you idiot
la eme is way overhyped on this board like they got some magic powers to get people killed, in reality they nothin but another prison gang thats startin to fall apart at the seems........[/quote]

How are you arriving at these conclusions? Historically speaking it would be an ideal socio-political climate for organized crime to rise: Bad economy, understaffed police department, big budget cuts in the state. And since 9/11Feds have been busy with the war overseas not focusing much on domestic affairs, and whatever is left in terms of "Homeland Security" busy focusing on "terrorism".

vaperloks
What city do you live in now?: los angeles

Unread post by vaperloks » January 5th, 2009, 1:50 pm

One of them is psycho he lives down the street from me, i was in the varrio kickin it and a bunch of cops were all around and the homies got tickets for possession and one spent a night in jail lmao..... that foo puts in work though and is respected around here..

dubts
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by dubts » January 8th, 2009, 1:24 am

1santo wrote:they already said its a random gang hit you idiot
la eme is way overhyped on this board like they got some magic powers to get people killed, in reality they nothin but another prison gang thats startin to fall apart at the seems........
How are you arriving at these conclusions? Historically speaking it would be an ideal socio-political climate for organized crime to rise: Bad economy, understaffed police department, big budget cuts in the state. And since 9/11Feds have been busy with the war overseas not focusing much on domestic affairs, and whatever is left in terms of "Homeland Security" busy focusing on "terrorism".[/quote]
society is becoming more and more indvidualistic and that effect carries over to gangs, nobodys going for that taking orders BS anymore and living by the codes, snitching is rampant, Special Needs Yards are popping up everywhere, certain factions of eme are startin to turn against each other, its a wrap, organization with that many individuals doesn't last long...

1santo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 1santo » January 13th, 2009, 7:50 pm

dubts wrote:
1santo wrote:they already said its a random gang hit you idiot
How are you arriving at these conclusions? Historically speaking it would be an ideal socio-political climate for organized crime to rise: Bad economy, understaffed police department, big budget cuts in the state. And since 9/11Feds have been busy with the war overseas not focusing much on domestic affairs, and whatever is left in terms of "Homeland Security" busy focusing on "terrorism".
society is becoming more and more indvidualistic and that effect carries over to gangs, nobodys going for that taking orders BS anymore and living by the codes, snitching is rampant, Special Needs Yards are popping up everywhere, certain factions of eme are startin to turn against each other, its a wrap, organization with that many individuals doesn't last long...[/quote]

I agree that society is becoming more individualistic and that is being reflected in gangs. Alot of tagging crews are now claiming X3. The fact is that older more established Varrios are recruiting younger tagging crews and cliques. Codes, rules, faces etc.. have changed.That "follow the leader" mentality is still present at least on some subconscious primitive survival manner. May not be MM as we have come to know it. But the influence, knolwedge and basic structure is there. How, who and where things are operating you know we won't know for another 2 decades as is always the case.