Made in America / The Baron Davis Project

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
Ice
What city do you live in now?: SF

Made in America / The Baron Davis Project

Unread post by Ice » May 20th, 2008, 4:50 am

SpotRusherACE
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by SpotRusherACE » May 31st, 2008, 4:56 pm

Naw, but thanks for the headsup. Looks dope.
I don't bang an I ain't from Cali so those documentarys always interest me cause it shows me some mess I don't already know about.

wattsygsnoop
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Re: Made in America / The Baron Davis Project

Unread post by wattsygsnoop » June 16th, 2008, 7:18 pm

no but watt was it about ?????

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » June 30th, 2008, 5:27 pm

I saw the movie last week at the McCarty Memorial Church at 4101 W Adams on June 26, 2008.

HisHighness
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by HisHighness » August 18th, 2008, 3:03 am

that first old guy talking was very true about the whole racial alienation from police,white,blacks etc. i agree that it builds up to a ticking time bomb and anyone one, any race would react the same way.

KINGFEAR62
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by KINGFEAR62 » September 21st, 2008, 8:46 pm

When is this comming out on dvd?

freebanger
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Baltimore

Unread post by freebanger » October 13th, 2008, 12:52 am

the history and origin of crips and bloods from the Black Power movement the struggle from riots and racist police , and the results that are carried down today presently , baron davis from the NBA is the brain child of this project withe real members of LA black gangs.

Jinky08
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Glesga

Unread post by Jinky08 » February 3rd, 2009, 6:56 pm

Lil Wayne Talks About The Crips & Bloods: Made In America Documentary! "I Dont Know Too Much About The Bloods & Crips"

Description:
Skee TV reports "An exclusive sit down with Lil Wayne talking on gangs, violence, America, and on Baron Davis's acclaimed documentary movie "Crips & Bloods: Made In America," the inside look at gang's, violence & what's next"

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/v ... CC48nhpZhH

dubts
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by dubts » February 5th, 2009, 9:28 pm

its gon be screened in LA this weekend

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » February 19th, 2009, 12:08 pm

Saw this last week up on Sunset. POWERFUL piece. This had a little bit different perspective than 'Bastards Of The Party'. Bone more or less told the history. This movie, even though it showed some history, focused more on the personal lives of the people; those involved and the families of victims. There is a montage where they show nothing but mother's of murder victims, and that shit will have a lump in anybody's throat.

Black people gotta rise above the nonsense. This movie speaks to that need.

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » February 19th, 2009, 12:11 pm

On a side note, Kumasi's voice needs to be heard. He articulated the thoughts and feelings of so many disenfranchised Black men.

AllhoodPublications
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Montreal

Unread post by AllhoodPublications » February 19th, 2009, 1:01 pm

Kamasi actually made the movie. He's intelligent, and he's a real one in the prison system. But it was nothing more than the re-make of Bastards of the Party with more focus on slavery.

Baron Davis could have done much better..

He could have picked bigger names, with more credibility and bigger reputations..

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It didnt bring anything new to the table to me.

Kamasi can do his own film regarding the panthers and bgf and black ideology and beat this one easily.

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » February 19th, 2009, 2:03 pm

AllhoodPublications wrote:Kamasi actually made the movie. He's intelligent, and he's a real one in the prison system. But it was nothing more than the re-make of Bastards of the Party with more focus on slavery.

Baron Davis could have done much better..

He could have picked bigger names, with more credibility and bigger reputations..

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It didnt bring anything new to the table to me.

Kamasi can do his own film regarding the panthers and bgf and black ideology and beat this one easily.
When you say people with "more credibility and bigger reputations", are you talking about people better known on the streets? If so, they better known for what? If the purpose of the documentary is to effect change, do you think it makes a difference if the people telling their story killed 3 people or 30 people while they were in the streets? Essentially, I hear what you're saying, and since kids are impressionable, maybe they are to hearing a message from somebody who was more deeply rooted in the ganglife.

And while I can see where the movie wouldn't be news to anybody who has grown up in LA, and lived through much of this era, you have to realize that much of the gang phenomenon has unfortunately reached beyond LA. So there are still people who need/want to see it, even if it is a basically a remix of Bones documentary.

And when we talk about programs designed to give people an alternative to ganglife, I think a human element is much more effective just giving a history lesson. They have to see the faces of the people whose lives are effected right now. I can tell you, it was a theatre full of white folks when I went, and while it might not make much difference in the long run, you could sense that they were shook by some of the images.

SouljahGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: LA

Unread post by SouljahGirl » February 19th, 2009, 4:21 pm

The people in the film are known community leaders. Vicky and Skip are always on the front line. Demanding justice and Positive Change for us all:

COMMUNITY & MEDIA ALERT

IMMEDIATE RELEASE

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2009

URGENT: COMMUNITIES IN CRISIS!!!

HELP US TO BRING AWARENESS AND ATTENTION TO THE RASH OF SENSELESS MURDERS THAT ARE TAKING PLACE IN OUR COMMUNITIUES. WE NEED EVERYBODY'S HELP!

ON SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 21, 2009 @ 2PM, MURDERED VICTIMS' LOVED ONES, EDUCATORS, STUDENTS, ORGANIZATIONS, LAW ENFORCEMENT, POLITICIANS WILL STAND WITH EACH COMMUNITY AND SAY ENOUGH HAS BEEN ENOUGH!

THE FIRST OF THESE EVENTS WILL BE TAKING PLACE AT 102ND AND NORMANDIE IN LOS ANGELES AT THE EXACT LOCATION WHERE A YOUNG MAN WAS MURDERED A FEW DAYS AGO. WE WILL WALK THROUGH THAT COMMUNITY PASSING OUT INFORMATION REGARDING RESOURCES AND HOPE.

JUST A COUPLE OF HOURS WILL SAVE YOU A LIFETIME OF PAIN.
GET INVOLVED BY CHOICE NOT FORCE! IF WE DO OR SAY NOTHING, IT SHOWS THAT THESE SENSELESS MURDERS AND ACTS OF VIOLENCE ARE ACCEPTED. WE'RE ASKING THE COMMUNITY TO STEP UP AND STEP OUT. MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

FOR MORE INFO, PLEASE CONTACT
SKIPP @ (310) 916-1902 OR VICKY @ (310) 764-0165

###

AllhoodPublications
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by AllhoodPublications » February 19th, 2009, 9:48 pm

When you say people with "more credibility and bigger reputations", are you talking about people better known on the streets? If so, they better known for what?

I'm not going to point out the individual character flaws and attack anyones reputation or lack of, but the kids needs to see and hear from someone of a larger stature in the streets. It is what it is..'

If the purpose of the documentary is to effect change, do you think it makes a difference if the people telling their story killed 3 people or 30 people while they were in the streets?

Effect what change? Just because a few white people crowded the theatre for the pre-screening doesn't exactly indicate there will be any change.

in which kids will benefit. who didnt see bastards of The Partty now recognize there are killings in the black community

Anyone that doesnt know about the killing in the black community has no dealings with that community, and cannot relate. The story line could have specifically targeted the youth better, not grown white folk.

it was a theatre full of white folks when I went, and while it might not make much difference in the long run, you could sense that they were shook by some of the images.

Absolutely... thats because some fear the repercussions of their ancestors and some are appalled at the way their ancestors and police treated blacks- worse than animals.

If the movie was meant to make white people aware of the gang epidemic in south L.A. then thumbs up. It did that. But if it was meant to give something back to the community as Baron Davis said it was, then I just don't see that happening.

These people are so called community leaders, living positive lives getting government checks, city and state funding/buildings, what about the brothers in the trenches, the kids that are most active, the ones that dont get a paycheck, who lives are in danger? How about some social programs, success stories, some names that turn heads, brothers awaiting capital punishment, the grieving mothers, lets get the real deal in the field no extras, no ex dance crew, no strippers, - and no duplicate movies.

Its not the white males/females from Beverly Hills, Hollywood Hills, Chino Hills, Malibu, Film Producers and cheerleaders who ned schooling on what goes on across the city, but the kids who THINK their neighboring community is the ENEMY, whose mother grieves, brother brains blown out, post tramatic disorder, parapalegic, daughters murder in broad day light, entire familys wiped out, a family of brothers murked one by one, babies and pregnant women being gunned down...

Be about it, dont talk about it. Show the gruesome details, and clearly explain how senseless the killing is as opposed to saying, "I have no conscience, and the cycle continues." Not only is that extra'd out, it makes no damn sense. We have brains, they need to be stimilated and put to good use.

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » February 19th, 2009, 11:33 pm

I agree with what you're saying, but our youth sometimes have a tendency to take the wrong message when the "messenger" is straight out of those same trenches. Just speaking from my perspective (as somebody who grew up on the East Coast and say the migration of the "gang problem" across the country), the kids who couldn't get enough of Monsta Kody's book, and consumed it like it was the Bible and Quran all rolled in one, could care less about the change he talked about later on his book. They Googled him, read everything they could find on Eight Tray, and suddenly you have kids all over the country claiming to know about Florence and Normandy.

How many of those same kids tried to find out what the New Afrikan movement was about? Why didn't they care that he had tried to move past the Crippin' stage of his life and onto something he thought was more positive??? You're right that we need someone who can command their respect, but we need for them to grasp the right message from that person.

In terms of the white folks, I agree that the vast majority are bound by the guilt of their ancestors actions, but if we're talking about giving the kids something positive to do, and have programs put (and left) in place by politicians, then these are some of the ones who are in position to do that. The right wing conservatives sure as hell don't care, so if it takes bleeding heart liberals to say "lets fund after school programs", then we might need to take them up on that.

SouljahGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SouljahGirl » February 20th, 2009, 10:07 am

creativemind wrote: if it takes bleeding heart liberals to say "lets fund after school programs", then we might need to take them up on that.
No the hell we don't. We need to start Volenteering in our communities and start running OUR OWN afterschool programs. Start volenteering durring school hours. We need to create weekend activities for the young people on our block.. We can do this shit one street at a time..

All we need to be is commited to Our Youth. It don't take no hell of a lot of money. Shoot. My broke ass got about 27 kids.. I take some to church, some to the park, sometimes we go to events sponsored by different gang intervention groups. What ever we do, it don't cost much. Most times all I can afford is a few taco's from Jack in the box but I give them Me.. I give them my time.. That's all it takes to start with.

People that give money want for their money to go to programs thay they THINK will work for us. Then if we tell them that it WON'T work, they pull the funds. Leaving the community raped once again. F^%$ That!! We can do this shit ourselves...

Look, the only way we are going to bring about positive change in these trenches is to get up off our asses and work with the youth our dam selves. I'm so sick of us as a people thinking that the white mans plan is better than any plan we can come up with .. HELL.. we are the ones living this shit. Who else knows these trenches like we do.. These young people are our children, our neices and nephews our next door neighbors our Young People.. We are the ones going to the funerals, visiting the folks in the hospitals, raising the money for the repasses. We are the ones living this shit.

So it is up to us to reach these young people on a daily basis. It's up to us to make a few sacrifices right now so that our youth will have a future that does not include a prison number.

We need to step our game up. Once we do that.. Change is inevitable... ( did I spell it right...In-e-vi-ta-ble.. LOL! )

Shut Up laughing.... Y'all know I caint spell..

AllhoodPublications
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by AllhoodPublications » February 20th, 2009, 10:27 am

creativemind: I am In absolute agreement with your last post.

I can only offer an assumption as to why the kids didnt want to join the New Afrikans and why they didnt pay attention to 'change' in his direction.

New Afrikans aren't on every corner in the hood, they're not the ones on the block with all the money, drugs, and alcohol. They aren't the ones low riding and popping pills. But more importantly, New Afrikans point toward a definitive Black Group or Culture, on the other hand any ethnicity can join the crips and bloods. Also, we are living in a violent and hateful society divided by color and/or financial status and with that there is this stigma in the world that says, "I'm Bad", not 'i'm good'. And Monster sounds more bad, than he did good.

Further, from a personal viewpoint; his conversion was just a small portion of the book and didn't stick out in my mind as much as the killing and the mythical limbs being cut off. Maybe had he focused more on his conversion and offered some proof that he had actually changed for the better- long term- maybe the New Afrikans would seem like the more obvious choice (For Black Youth).

Now, doing research over the internet could be disasterous for someone who has no actual links to inside going-ons in the streets of Los angeles. Your research will be tainted by many others speaking on Monster that don't know shit about him, and so the extras and the myths being repeated over and over seem to sound real. There is little question left as to who the person was that had his limbs cutoff, the police report, and the deaths of the many people he supposedly killed during the initial war years. Now all of a sudden, Monster is superhuman. Feel me? Because he is super human and there is no literature published to counter his claims, his word is now that of gospel. Mythically of course.

^ this whole scenario across the nation is a reflection of bad parenting, poor educational system, the power of Hollywood/Media, and the lack of government structure on a state and national scale. Lock them up and throw away the key obviously isn't an effective tool.

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » February 20th, 2009, 11:34 am

SouljahGirl wrote:
creativemind wrote: if it takes bleeding heart liberals to say "lets fund after school programs", then we might need to take them up on that.
No the hell we don't. We need to start Volenteering in our communities and start running OUR OWN afterschool programs. Start volenteering durring school hours. We need to create weekend activities for the young people on our block.. We can do this shit one street at a time..

All we need to be is commited to Our Youth. It don't take no hell of a lot of money. Shoot. My broke ass got about 27 kids.. I take some to church, some to the park, sometimes we go to events sponsored by different gang intervention groups. What ever we do, it don't cost much. Most times all I can afford is a few taco's from Jack in the box but I give them Me.. I give them my time.. That's all it takes to start with.

People that give money want for their money to go to programs thay they THINK will work for us. Then if we tell them that it WON'T work, they pull the funds. Leaving the community raped once again. F^%$ That!! We can do this shit ourselves...

Look, the only way we are going to bring about positive change in these trenches is to get up off our asses and work with the youth our dam selves. I'm so sick of us as a people thinking that the white mans plan is better than any plan we can come up with .. HELL.. we are the ones living this shit. Who else knows these trenches like we do.. These young people are our children, our neices and nephews our next door neighbors our Young People.. We are the ones going to the funerals, visiting the folks in the hospitals, raising the money for the repasses. We are the ones living this shit.

So it is up to us to reach these young people on a daily basis. It's up to us to make a few sacrifices right now so that our youth will have a future that does not include a prison number.

We need to step our game up. Once we do that.. Change is inevitable... ( did I spell it right...In-e-vi-ta-ble.. LOL! )

Shut Up laughing.... Y'all know I caint spell..
I certainly commend your being a doer instead of a talker. Unfortunately, far too many of us only wanna show up when its a "town meeting" (with TV camers) or to hold up a candle at somebody's vigil. We need more people who will roll up their sleeves and be there for the kids.

I didn't grow up out here, but I know in Philly, the people who were consistenly committed were few and far between. We had the Malik El-Shabbazs, the Herman Rice, the CB Kimmons. Hell, one of my mentors and I, used to drive all over the city in a minivan picking up kids on Saturday morning, and we'd do a two hour martial arts/life skills class. But unfortunately, far too many parents, instead of helping out and wanting to be part of a program that benefitted their own kids, just saw it as a time where they could get out of dodge. We'd go to drop the kids back at home, and nobody was there, parents aren't answering cell phones and all kinda shit like that. And the thing is, you can't stop doing for the kids just because the parents are f'ed up.

And I don't think that white folks have any solutions for us. But we should see out time as being just as valueable as their's is. Why should you have to "volunteer", when its money allocated for programs and people that run them. You should be paid for your time, just like the little Russian guy who teaches gymnastics to little white girls. Why is him time paid for and your's not???

If we could talk some rappers and athletes into giving money to some communities, instead of Jakob the Jeweler, or convince them that they don't need a car for every color outfit they were, then we might not have to get money from gov't agencies. But in the meantime, while some guys idea of giving back is a celebrity basketball game, so THEY can be seen, then we don't really have much choice.

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » February 20th, 2009, 12:07 pm

AllhoodPublications wrote:creativemind: I am In absolute agreement with your last post.

I can only offer an assumption as to why the kids didnt want to join the New Afrikans and why they didnt pay attention to 'change' in his direction.

New Afrikans aren't on every corner in the hood, they're not the ones on the block with all the money, drugs, and alcohol. They aren't the ones low riding and popping pills. But more importantly, New Afrikans point toward a definitive Black Group or Culture, on the other hand any ethnicity can join the crips and bloods. Also, we are living in a violent and hateful society divided by color and/or financial status and with that there is this stigma in the world that says, "I'm Bad", not 'i'm good'. And Monster sounds more bad, than he did good.

Further, from a personal viewpoint; his conversion was just a small portion of the book and didn't stick out in my mind as much as the killing and the mythical limbs being cut off. Maybe had he focused more on his conversion and offered some proof that he had actually changed for the better- long term- maybe the New Afrikans would seem like the more obvious choice (For Black Youth).

Now, doing research over the internet could be disasterous for someone who has no actual links to inside going-ons in the streets of Los angeles. Your research will be tainted by many others speaking on Monster that don't know shit about him, and so the extras and the myths being repeated over and over seem to sound real. There is little question left as to who the person was that had his limbs cutoff, the police report, and the deaths of the many people he supposedly killed during the initial war years. Now all of a sudden, Monster is superhuman. Feel me? Because he is super human and there is no literature published to counter his claims, his word is now that of gospel. Mythically of course.

^ this whole scenario across the nation is a reflection of bad parenting, poor educational system, the power of Hollywood/Media, and the lack of government structure on a state and national scale. Lock them up and throw away the key obviously isn't an effective tool.
You hit the nail on the head with a couple of points here, bruh. Bad parenting allows kids to develop a warped set of values, a bad educational system does nothing to alter that, and the machine that is Hollywood/Media reinforces the worst Black images as the coolest.

Too often nowadays, the emphasis is on having things. People don't care how they get them, the object is to have them. So if I got to kill you to have your car, or if I got to sell poison to my own people to have a MTV-type crib, then so be it. The rap industry has convinced our kids that even if you get caught, you just charge it to the game. We just do our time, write some rhymes while we in there, and come out with new 'street cred', new tats and enough songs to release a CD. And our kids by into the BS.

With regards to the "legend" that is Monsta, I hate the think that he embellished his story just for the sake of selling books. We all know how word on the street gets altered. One sucker punch can turn into "we heard he whooped that ass". But its important that he didn't put extras on it because its the relentless, uncaring, fear-inspiring Monsta that kids will want to emulate. Like he said in his own book, when you don't have respect forthcoming, you create what is respect for you. And that's what this generation of kids has done trying to using fear of violence and violence itself as their tool.

I would say that you sound like an intelligent brother, but us being surprise at each other's intelligence level is played out too. What I will say is that after reading your posts, I plan to order some of your magazines to get more on your perspective.

SouljahGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SouljahGirl » February 20th, 2009, 1:10 pm

creativemind wrote:
I certainly commend your being a doer instead of a talker. Unfortunately, far too many of us only wanna show up when its a "town meeting" (with TV camers) or to hold up a candle at somebody's vigil. Truth Be told.. We need more people who will roll up their sleeves and be there for the kids.

I didn't grow up out here, but I know in Philly, the people who were consistenly committed were few and far between. We had the Malik El-Shabbazs, the Herman Rice, the CB Kimmons. Hell, one of my mentors and I, used to drive all over the city in a minivan picking up kids on Saturday morning, and we'd do a two hour martial arts/life skills class. But unfortunately, far too many parents, instead of helping out and wanting to be part of a program that benefitted their own kids, just saw it as a time where they could get out of dodge. I know. But trip.. I use that as a way to offer to the parents some free tme. Some of us Parents need a break. I use to fuss and complain that the parents were using me for a babysitter. So then I said F^^%$ it , I WILL be the baby sitter. And I 'll watch the kids for free, every Friday night, but in return the parents had to volenteer with us occasionally. After I implemeted this, Mothers were dropping off snacks and crafts and supplies and stuff. They came a little early for set up and some even stayed to help. As a single womwn who reared her children on her own. I feel for single parents. I use to fuss and complain, now I take every obsticle and make it work for all We'd go to drop the kids back at home, and nobody was there, parents aren't answering cell phones and all kinda shit like that. And the thing is, you can't stop doing for the kids just because the parents are f'ed up.We do get fed up. But thats because we dont have the right parenting toos

And I don't think that white folks have any solutions for us. But we should see out time as being just as valueable as their's is. Why should you have to "volunteer", when its money allocated for programs and people that run them. You should be paid for your time, just like the little Russian guy who teaches gymnastics to little white girls. Why is him time paid for and your's not??? Volenteerism comes from the heart. Why should we ? Because we have too. We have to be the ones on the front line because most of the funded programs are funded for a specific area. Example: The Prevention $'s. The grants say that I can reach the children who have good grades and are model students. But I can not work with young thugs and thuggstresses. As if to say it's too late for them, lets worry about our " Good Kid's and stop them from being influenced by the others. The system tells me that I can get this money if I follow their rules.. I say: I'ma reach whom ever crosses my path. Weather they get good grades are a drop out, on drugs What-eva...

If we could talk some rappers and athletes into giving money to some communities, instead of Jakob the Jeweler, or convince them that they don't need a car for every color outfit they were, then we might not have to get money from gov't agencies. I don't want Gov money.. But I totally agree with involvng the industry. They are slowly but surley comming.. Watch.......But in the meantime, while some guys idea of giving back is a celebrity basketball game, so THEY can be seen, then we don't really have much choice.

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » February 20th, 2009, 3:08 pm

SouljahGirl wrote:
creativemind wrote:
I certainly commend your being a doer instead of a talker. Unfortunately, far too many of us only wanna show up when its a "town meeting" (with TV camers) or to hold up a candle at somebody's vigil. Truth Be told.. We need more people who will roll up their sleeves and be there for the kids.

I didn't grow up out here, but I know in Philly, the people who were consistenly committed were few and far between. We had the Malik El-Shabbazs, the Herman Rice, the CB Kimmons. Hell, one of my mentors and I, used to drive all over the city in a minivan picking up kids on Saturday morning, and we'd do a two hour martial arts/life skills class. But unfortunately, far too many parents, instead of helping out and wanting to be part of a program that benefitted their own kids, just saw it as a time where they could get out of dodge. I know. But trip.. I use that as a way to offer to the parents some free tme. Some of us Parents need a break. I use to fuss and complain that the parents were using me for a babysitter. So then I said F^^%$ it , I WILL be the baby sitter. And I 'll watch the kids for free, every Friday night, but in return the parents had to volenteer with us occasionally. After I implemeted this, Mothers were dropping off snacks and crafts and supplies and stuff. They came a little early for set up and some even stayed to help. As a single womwn who reared her children on her own. I feel for single parents. I use to fuss and complain, now I take every obsticle and make it work for all We'd go to drop the kids back at home, and nobody was there, parents aren't answering cell phones and all kinda shit like that. And the thing is, you can't stop doing for the kids just because the parents are f'ed up.We do get fed up. But thats because we dont have the right parenting toos

And I don't think that white folks have any solutions for us. But we should see out time as being just as valueable as their's is. Why should you have to "volunteer", when its money allocated for programs and people that run them. You should be paid for your time, just like the little Russian guy who teaches gymnastics to little white girls. Why is him time paid for and your's not??? Volenteerism comes from the heart. Why should we ? Because we have too. We have to be the ones on the front line because most of the funded programs are funded for a specific area. Example: The Prevention $'s. The grants say that I can reach the children who have good grades and are model students. But I can not work with young thugs and thuggstresses. As if to say it's too late for them, lets worry about our " Good Kid's and stop them from being influenced by the others. The system tells me that I can get this money if I follow their rules.. I say: I'ma reach whom ever crosses my path. Weather they get good grades are a drop out, on drugs What-eva...

If we could talk some rappers and athletes into giving money to some communities, instead of Jakob the Jeweler, or convince them that they don't need a car for every color outfit they were, then we might not have to get money from gov't agencies. I don't want Gov money.. But I totally agree with involvng the industry. They are slowly but surley comming.. Watch.......But in the meantime, while some guys idea of giving back is a celebrity basketball game, so THEY can be seen, then we don't really have much choice.
I meant to say Malik Aziz when I mentioned the brother doing good work in the Philly Stop The Violence Movement. But again, I commend. You're right volunteerism does come from the heart, but you're human. And when parents take advantage of your kindness and disappeart 3-4 hours longer than their supposed to, then anyone's patience can be tested. When you're dropping off a bus load kids in West Philly, and little Jamar's parents ain't home, so you drive on up to North Philly to drop those kids off, then double back to Jamar's hours two hours later and they're still not there and not answering the phone, its a problem. Especially if you've got to go to work or you worked all night the night before and just want to go home and get some rest. Thats the kind of crap we would go through week after week.

AllhoodPublications
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by AllhoodPublications » February 20th, 2009, 3:41 pm

creativemind wrote: You hit the nail on the head with a couple of points here
So did you.
after reading your posts, I plan to order some of your magazines to get more on your perspective.
Great. The things is, the magazine is a platform for all to speak on behalf of or against the community. If it lacks what you are looking for then blame the communities in which we live in.

SouljahGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SouljahGirl » February 24th, 2009, 9:22 am

Movie Night at Chuco’s
1137 E. Redondo Blvd. Inglewood
Chuco's is located on the Corner of West Blvd. and Redondo. 1 Block north of Florence just West of Crenshaw

Every 3rd Tuesday Starting

March 17th 6:30 PM
This month we will be showing

“Made In America”

There is no cover for this showing but we greatly appreciate donations. All donations will go to the Youth Justice Coalition

To RSVP contact Mothers Of The Community (323) 492-6422
Please RSVP, we hate to have to turn anybody away because of limited seating arrangements. Chuco's can hold a good 500 people. But we will have to order chairs. So work with us Ok..Just call and let us know how many guests you will be bringing. I'm working on getting a panel of experts together to hold an open discussion after the film..( wish me luck )

Oh!! Y'all thought I was playing when I said I needed to see it again. I know you thought I was playing. I wasn't playing

SouljahGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SouljahGirl » February 24th, 2009, 2:05 pm

creativemind wrote:
SouljahGirl wrote:
creativemind wrote:

I meant to say Malik Aziz when I mentioned the brother doing good work in the Philly Stop The Violence Movement. But again, I commend. You're right volunteerism does come from the heart, but you're human. And when parents take advantage of your kindness and disappeart 3-4 hours longer than their supposed to, then anyone's patience can be tested.Agreed When you're dropping off a bus load kids in West Philly, and little Jamar's parents ain't home, so you drive on up to North Philly to drop those kids off, then double back to Jamar's hours two hours later and they're still not there and not answering the phone, its a problem. You got a Bus.. I need a BusEspecially if you've got to go to work or you worked all night the night before and just want to go home and get some rest.I feel you Thats the kind of crap we would go through week after week.
I'm sorry to hear that. Like I said. I faced simuliar problems in the begining. and I'm sure that as I move forward with M.O.T.C. I will face such issues once again. But since you reminded me, I think what I'll do is host sleepovers. I'll try to make all of my outings on a Friday night, then we can have slumber parties at the Center and give the Mothers the time off they need. Yeah.. that sounds like a plan.. I think I'll start something like that.. But watch.. somebody aint gonna be home on Saturday!!

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » February 24th, 2009, 2:13 pm

I commend you, Sis. But be prepared for that phone call from Vegas talking 'bout "All the buses are booked, so I can't get back home 'til Sunday afternoon". That's our people, but we still love 'em though.

SouljahGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SouljahGirl » March 2nd, 2009, 10:08 am

creativemind wrote:I commend you, Sis. But be prepared for that phone call from Vegas talking 'bout "All the buses are booked, so I can't get back home 'til Sunday afternoon". That's our people, but we still love 'em though.
Yeah we do. I find myself laughing off the anger these days. It really makes no sense for me to get upset. Some folks are not going to change. But that's on them. If they continue down a road of destruction, it won't be because they did not have the oppertunity or the tools to work with in order too Change. It will be becasue of their own self will.

I hope to see all or some of you at Movie Night. I've been trying to get this going for over a year now. The man from that OTHER forum told me that it was a stupid idea. My thought was to offer conciouse, political and motivational films free to the public once a week.

We can make it a family night out. We provide the movie and the snaks, you provide your family.. It's something that the inner city needs. More free family fun activites. ( educational ones of course )

Next week we'll be having a double feature.. Superfly and The Mack. I can teach y'all how to be a pimp like me. hahahahhaaa!!!

I'm just playing y'all...

no I aint!........

okay dang..Yes I am.. I'm just playing we aint showing the mack.. Y'all make me sick. But I am a pimp dammit... aint I !!

SouljahGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SouljahGirl » March 17th, 2009, 12:10 pm

Bloods & Crips: Made In America
mothersofthecommunity@yahoo.com you were invited by VICKY LINDSEY

Hosted by Mothers of the Community & Youth Justice Coaliion
Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 (6:30 PM to 9:30 PM) at CHUCO JUSTICE CENTER
1137 W. REDONDO BLVD., INGLEWOOD, CA Google Yahoo Mapquest
(818) 376-9183 mothersofthecommunity@yahoo.com
Socializr URL: http://www.socializr.com/event/960328398
Posted by VICKY LINDSEY

Women of the Community have come together in Solidarity to make a difference in our communities. We are not stepping in front of or behind our men but by their sides.

After viewing the Documentary, "Bloods & Crips: Made In America", there will be a panel of Women who have been working tiredlessly to turn negativities into positivities in our communities.

Panelists confirmed:

Magg Simms (APUU)

Pamela Newsom (Black Women United)

Sister Herron (Cease Fire)

Donna Graham (It's Time For A Real Change)

Denise Williams (Mothers of the Communities)

Meschelia Johnson (Much More Bounce, Inc.)

Bonnie Williams-Taylor (One Way Outreach, Inc.)

Vicky D. Lindsey (Project Cry No More)

Kim McGill (Youth Justice Coalition)

Comments DeNiece Williams (Yes)
Personal message from DeNiece: Since the age of 25 I have spent much time organizing traveling across this country teaching people to stand up for their rights. Organizing communities to fight injustice and to get more involved in local and state politics. For the last two years I have been in search of Women who will ' By Any Means Necessary ' bring to the various tables , solutions that will assist in bringing an end to the senseless murders of our children and loved ones. Loved ones who have died because of this vicious epidemic called Gang Banging. This epidemic that some of us at this table helped to create. I?ve searched high and low for women who will work together in a Peaceful fashion with out all the backstabbing and tongue lashing against each other. Women who will not wait for grant dollars or federal funds, but that will see the need and attack it. Women who are secure enough in themselves that they are not threatened by the success or advancement of another sister. But will instead show support and solidarity. I wanted to bring together former / non-active ( women ) Gang Members and Sisters who have programs that deal with these issues. I have found in these sisters an honest and true dedication to not only ridding our streets of violence, but also a dedication to the Mothers who have lost their children, the youth of Los Angeles and a dedication to our Communities as a whole. These woman have a commitment that I have found to be unmatchable. I invite you to meet with us and view the film Crips & Bloods : Made in America. After the film we will discuss the issues surrounding Gang Violence in Los Angeles and I will introduce to you their respective Programs. I am honored to Present to you Sisters in Solidarity

Love & Blessings
DeNiece Williams
Mothers Of The Community

SouljahGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SouljahGirl » March 20th, 2009, 6:34 pm

All I have to say about last night is: Right On ! with the Right On.

Looks to me that by the time were finished we'll have taught the young girls to become graceful and elegant woman. ( That'll be somebody else's department. Cause you all know that "God aint finished with me yet ":-) and the boys will be suave and debonair.. That's the plan . Rearing the next generation of parents and leaders.

One day people.. Beleive That!!! One Day!

Well last night was beautiful. I'm not quite sure how many people attended but I rented 100 chairs , the school had 70 and then we needed to get more from the classrooms. So I estimate close to 200..

It was " Off the Chain"..We showed the movie and then I brought in 4 of the stars of the movie to speak to the youth. I had the 1st 2 women to ever be enducted into the Crips. Donna Graham ( eastside ) her organazation is " It's Time for a Real Change " and Bonnie Williams ( westside )her organazation is " One Way Outreach inc. . " We also had my Soul Sister, Sister Sherell from the blood car ( Much More Bounce inc. ) She shared with us that she will be ordained as a Minister next month. ( Prasie God!) She also talked about her gender specific program designed to make ladies out of a Thuggstress. ( I'll be the first one on that list too.. hahah!! )

Yup!! God brought the heat out for them youngsters.. haha!!

And Much props goes out to Brother Skip Townsand for his support. He spoke directley to the younger sisters and reached them in a way that we as women can not do. I am a firm beleiver that it takes MUCH input from a man to teach a woman how to be a woman. And he helped to do that last night.. So much Props to you Skip.. ( and as a personal note to Skip. I know that I can be hard woman to deal with. So for dealing with me so well, and always being respectful, helpful and supportive to me ( even through all my maddness) you get an extra Gold Star. I know that you do not hear me say it all the time, but I truly appreciate what you do, and on behalf of Mothers of The Community & H.O.O.D. Ministries I Thank you)

All of the guests talked to the youngsters about making better choices and gave some of their testimonies.

We had the mothers who have lost their children ( Vicky Lindsey - Project Cry No More ) along with one of her Mothers, Sister Pam. They reached out to the actives and other youth who were in the audiance. One panelist asked, do we have any actives in here..

Why one of MY BABIES had to be the only one to raise their hand. ---- I'll have to remember to tell them not to do that again. One never knows who is looking ( wink)

But all in all it was a good night. Crips and Bloods started right here in LA and have infected this whole nation. It must stop right here in order to affect this entire nation.

and when it does, some of you will know that YOU did your part...

Thank you all for all of your support..

DeNiece Williams
Mothers Of The Comminity
No Hood Left Behind

SouljahGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SouljahGirl » May 13th, 2009, 12:02 pm

KCET
CHANNEL 16
Independent Lens: Crips and Bloods: Made in America
Tuesday, May 12, 10:00pm
A look at the Crips and the Bloods.

Independent Lens: At Home in Utopia

KCET World
CHANNEL 28.4[D]
Wednesday, May 13, 8:30am

Wednesday, May 13, 2:30pm

Wednesday, May 13, 7:30pm

Thursday, May 14, 12:30am

Sunday, May 17, 12:00pm

Independent Lens: Na Kamalei: The Men of Hula
Monday, May 18, 9:00am
"Na Kamalei: The Men of Hula."

Monday, May 18, 3:00pm

Monday, May 18, 8:00pm

Tuesday, May 19, 1:00am

Independent Lens: Stranded: The Andes Plane Crash Survivors
Wednesday, May 20, 8:00am
The survivors of a 1972 plane crash in the Andes.

Wednesday, May 20, 2:00pm

Wednesday, May 20, 7:00pm

Thursday, May 21, 12:00am

Sunday, May 24, 12:00pm

tysuave
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: vegas

Unread post by tysuave » May 13th, 2009, 12:03 pm

I think this was one of the best gang docs ever done!

HiloBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by HiloBoy » May 13th, 2009, 12:54 pm

I thought he was more informative and historical than gang related...

It really didnt featrue too many bangers...

I liked the background info on blacks and stories from Kumasi, Bird, etc...

It is very sad and disheartening how blacks are/were treated here in Amerikkka...