CARTOON THE TATTOO ARTIST ...

From tagging to piecing to gang graffiti to clothing styles to the art of tattoos.
REEBOK

CARTOON THE TATTOO ARTIST ...

Unread post by REEBOK » September 28th, 2008, 9:46 pm

WHAT GANG DOES HE BELONG TO

thebasher
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: los angeles

Re: CARTOON THE TATTOO ARTIST ...

Unread post by thebasher » October 12th, 2008, 10:25 pm

whos is he ?

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » October 13th, 2008, 6:55 am

My man who is LK out here in New York was talking about getting some work done by Cartoon, he said it's hard as hell and you gotta pay like 6 bills to even make appointments with that dude. Obviously that's if you some dude of the street not a known rapper or artist or you have connections.

I think to a certain degree his fame has made it the trendy popular thing to get a 'Cartoon Tat' while you are visiting LA... the same as people seek out work by the those traditional tattoo artists in Japan. he's internationally known.

SCULLYLONDON198
What city do you live in now?: LONDON UK

Unread post by SCULLYLONDON198 » October 13th, 2008, 8:53 am

DON'T THINK HE'S IN ANY GANG, JUST A CHICANO, THAT POSSIBLY GREW UP IN DOG PATCH 13 AREA, DUNNO WHERE THAT IS, BUT I READ HIS AUTOBIOGRAPHY SOMEWHERE, HOW DO YOU BOOK OVERSEAS WITH HIM, I MSG'ED HIM BEFORE, BUT HE DIDN'T GET BACK TO ME.

I DON'T WANT TO BOOK IT OFFICIALLY AND HE GETS ONE OF HIS WORKERS "JUST AS GOOD AS ME" TO DO IT ..

ANYBODY HELP OUT..

AztecNinja
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: San Gabriel

Unread post by AztecNinja » October 14th, 2008, 7:26 am

I was under the impression that he was from the UTI crew, a old skool well respected tagging crew in L.A. I could be wrong.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: LA

Unread post by 282828 » February 14th, 2009, 10:29 pm

rancho san pedro

xxx
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by xxx » February 15th, 2009, 10:07 am

Back in the 1980's he was from D.E.F (Doing everything Fresh) he used to write/Tag Flame DEF with a black dude named Clever (RIP) who lived off Imperial & Van Ness.

If any of yall local cats were around back then, they had a memorial on a garage right on Imperial & Van Ness for Clever it said Danny, DEF, etc.... It was there for years. They used to spary paint that whole are where the 105 Freeway is now. They called the area Devil's Dip, local dudes used to ride their bikes and motorcycles in the area, b4 the Freeway was built. a bunch of tore down /abandon houses and open fields. Same area they filmed Colors in IVC hood.

Flame lived in San Pedro, but i cant see him gang bangin like that, he was a Muralist.

Unless he started gang bangin in the 1990's as an adult.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 282828 » February 15th, 2009, 9:50 pm

the older vatos from rsp claim him, and im pretty sure he would claim it if he was asked, he might not have been active or anything, maybe they just let him claim it cause hes cartoon haha i dont know.

NewMission
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NewMission » February 17th, 2009, 11:08 am

SCULLYLONDON198 wrote:DON'T THINK HE'S IN ANY GANG, JUST A CHICANO, THAT POSSIBLY GREW UP IN DOG PATCH 13 AREA, DUNNO WHERE THAT IS, BUT I READ HIS AUTOBIOGRAPHY SOMEWHERE, HOW DO YOU BOOK OVERSEAS WITH HIM, I MSG'ED HIM BEFORE, BUT HE DIDN'T GET BACK TO ME.

I DON'T WANT TO BOOK IT OFFICIALLY AND HE GETS ONE OF HIS WORKERS "JUST AS GOOD AS ME" TO DO IT ..

ANYBODY HELP OUT..
I've talked to other artist that know him well, If you want to book him, you have to leave a deposit JUST to discuss what you want your tac desighn to be, HA HA and that deposit doesn't even go toward your tat price. And if you want a portait done, prices start around $2000 - $2500. LOL

FelonOne
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: USA

Unread post by FelonOne » March 30th, 2009, 1:10 am

God damn...didnt know that gettin blasted would be that much shit...guezz datz cartoon 4 ya!
?

DISTEFANO
What city do you live in now?: LOS ANGELES

Unread post by DISTEFANO » April 24th, 2009, 4:49 pm

Toon$ is indeed from the Harbor Area of San Pedro,he started out as an illustrative artist/airbrush painter who would airbrush t-shirts and eventually fresh ass low low's with amazing murals,I dont know about his tagging /graff affiliation but he has been known to hang with TKO and Toomer and all of them.
I personally got a quarter sleeve back on 2000 before he officially blew up ,before he did Eminem,Travis Barker and most of the Rap scene today,back in the day he was pretty simple to book ,didnt take any deposit and so forth now it's a different story due to the demand and growing popularity he charges a nice dollar for his services rendered,dude's one of many who has style in the fine line black and grey of tattooing.

FelonOne
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: USA

Unread post by FelonOne » May 11th, 2009, 11:38 pm

I like cartoon's kanji style work.

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » May 19th, 2009, 12:18 pm

I would be surprised if you need to put down money just to TALK to him. I've talked to some big names in the tattoo business and I haven't had to pay a dime for it. Now to get work is another story. That usually ranges from $150-200+/hr. Then again, you get what you pay for. I don't know how many people have asked me about my work then freak out when they find out I've dumped thousands of dollars on it. If you're stupid enough to go to someone who will do work for $50, then have at it. Good art isn't cheap, and cheap art isn't good.

NewMission
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NewMission » May 20th, 2009, 11:16 am

EmperorPenguin wrote:I would be surprised if you need to put down money just to TALK to him. I've talked to some big names in the tattoo business and I haven't had to pay a dime for it. Now to get work is another story. That usually ranges from $150-200+/hr. Then again, you get what you pay for. I don't know how many people have asked me about my work then freak out when they find out I've dumped thousands of dollars on it. If you're stupid enough to go to someone who will do work for $50, then have at it. Good art isn't cheap, and cheap art isn't good.

I didn't say "Just to talk to him", I was told you had to leave a deposit just to discuss the design of your tac, which that money does not go towards your actual tat. Maybe if you know him personally, or know someone that knows him it may not go down like that,,but This comes out of the mouth of a pretty well known artist in the LA/IE tattooing community.

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » May 21st, 2009, 2:11 pm

NewMission wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:I would be surprised if you need to put down money just to TALK to him. I've talked to some big names in the tattoo business and I haven't had to pay a dime for it. Now to get work is another story. That usually ranges from $150-200+/hr. Then again, you get what you pay for. I don't know how many people have asked me about my work then freak out when they find out I've dumped thousands of dollars on it. If you're stupid enough to go to someone who will do work for $50, then have at it. Good art isn't cheap, and cheap art isn't good.

I didn't say "Just to talk to him", I was told you had to leave a deposit just to discuss the design of your tac, which that money does not go towards your actual tat. Maybe if you know him personally, or know someone that knows him it may not go down like that,,but This comes out of the mouth of a pretty well known artist in the LA/IE tattooing community.
I understand what you're saying now, I would still find it hard to believe that the "deposit" you put down doesn't go towards the final work which is common, accepted practice in the tattooing community. You essentially aren't paying a deposit for the tattoo anymore, but a deposit to just "talk" about the tattoo. I know a lot of artists want you to put a deposit down before they start to really hammer out details on a piece, but I just booked thousands of dollars worth of upcoming work at a convention in August and no artist would take my money until they at least found out what I was looking to get done. I'm not calling you a liar, or saying you're wrong, I would just be surprised if that was the case given how I've personally dealt with artists in the tattooing community.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » May 22nd, 2009, 6:21 am

That's the case with Cartoon

jdm894g
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by jdm894g » July 18th, 2009, 8:12 am

xxx wrote:Back in the 1980's he was from D.E.F (Doing everything Fresh) he used to write/Tag Flame DEF with a black dude named Clever (RIP) who lived off Imperial & Van Ness.

If any of yall local cats were around back then, they had a memorial on a garage right on Imperial & Van Ness for Clever it said Danny, DEF, etc.... It was there for years. They used to spary paint that whole are where the 105 Freeway is now. They called the area Devil's Dip, local dudes used to ride their bikes and motorcycles in the area, b4 the Freeway was built. a bunch of tore down /abandon houses and open fields. Same area they filmed Colors in IVC hood.

Flame lived in San Pedro, but i cant see him gang bangin like that, he was a Muralist.

Unless he started gang bangin in the 1990's as an adult.
i remember that mural...that is old skool for real. They even hasdd something on imperial and western behind the church's chicken. he used to go by flame? I remember at Washington one of them did a mural in the Art class. I can think of dudes name right now, but he was from DEF and they had a mural on the side of washington on 108th for years back in the day.

so flame is Toon...WOW!!!!