The Black Hand, a Mexican Mafia book (book)

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

The Black Hand, a Mexican Mafia book (book)

Unread post by alexalonso » June 21st, 2008, 11:38 pm

If you have watched tv news in Los Angeles during the past 20 years, Chris Blatchford, from Fox 11 news has a book coming out called The Black Hand: The Story of Rene "Boxer" Enriquez and His Life in the Mexican Mafia..

http://www.streetgangs.com/bookclub/blackhand
Attachments
blackhand_op.jpg
blackhand_op.jpg (30.68 KiB) Viewed 33131 times

dinky
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: The Black Hand, a Mexican Mafia book - 2008

Unread post by dinky » June 22nd, 2008, 10:07 am

Hopefully it will be a good read,im not aware of there being many books on the Mexican Mafia.

Trickeration Station
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: San Diego

Unread post by Trickeration Station » June 24th, 2008, 1:01 am

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento

Unread post by StillNoScript » June 24th, 2008, 1:12 am

Tony Rafael's book is garbage. It's all about Pee Wee Aguirre's Avenues clique, and the team that prosecuted them. You can read his blog at inthehat.blogspot.com and I'm telling you there is nothing remotely interesting in the book that isn't already on the blog.

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by StillNoScript » June 24th, 2008, 1:20 am

alexalonso wrote:If you have watched tv news in Los Angeles during the past 20 years, Chris Blatchford, from Fox 11 news has a book coming out called The Black Hand: The Story of Rene "Boxer" Enriquez and His Life in the Mexican Mafia..

http://www.streetgangs.com/bookclub/blackhand
There was a DVD being sold at Amazon with that same photo on it, that already sold out. It just went up for sale like a month ago. Anyone seen that? Is it related to the book?

Anyhow, what's the release date for the book, Alex? Are you selling it? If so, I'll buy it here. "Boxer" and Blatchford can't be a worse writing team than Tony Rafael and the LA district attorneys office. It should be worth it.

necron
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: London

Unread post by necron » July 24th, 2008, 12:23 pm

If you type in "Gangster Confidential" in Youtube, it shows an interview Boxer did with the Feds. Very smart guy although he obviously wasn't like that when he went in. You might also want to see all the BS the wannabe surenos were talking about him being a "pinche rata" when they would have murdered or given their life for him when he was a godfather.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » August 12th, 2008, 1:25 am

Interview by Chris Blatchford on the book, Black Hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2XQ1SDTuIc

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » August 12th, 2008, 1:28 am

Rene Enriquez, former member of the Mexican Mafia
Attachments
gangster_confidential.jpg
Rene Enriquez
gangster_confidential.jpg (30.69 KiB) Viewed 32546 times

willihen
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by willihen » August 20th, 2008, 6:41 am

got it on preorder...

Dude sounds articulate, pretty smart.

necron
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by necron » August 23rd, 2008, 3:05 pm

willihen wrote:got it on preorder...

Dude sounds articulate, pretty smart.
He is. I bet he didn't go into prison like that though nor would he have reached godfather status if he hadn't have schooled himself. Sad thing is even though he's defected for a reason that I can relate to, there's every possibility that he will spend the rest of his life in jail, which on the other hand is warranted because he is/was a cold blooded killer. The real tragedy is he had to be on 23 hour lockdown in the SHU before he was able to educate himself. Personally I would have done the same but as a free man, not in the white mans penal system.

willihen
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by willihen » August 25th, 2008, 7:08 am

What city and hood was he from?

Sia20
What city do you live in now?: Berlin City

Unread post by Sia20 » September 23rd, 2008, 8:41 am

nice..

willihen
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by willihen » September 29th, 2008, 5:38 am

Just finished the book. Amazing.
Not just a great read, but makes you
realize you should think twice before
messing with La Eme.

I know everybody writes books and says something to the effect that hopefully it'll show
the real lifestyle and keep people from aspiring to be affiliated or join....well this one does.

I can't be sure, but this has to be the best book out there written on the subject.

Tricky69
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Desert

Unread post by Tricky69 » September 30th, 2008, 7:27 am

He is from Artesia,Ca .Artesia 13 gang.

REEBOK

Unread post by REEBOK » October 4th, 2008, 12:36 am

cant wait to read it

SlicedAlone
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: 661

Unread post by SlicedAlone » November 17th, 2008, 10:07 pm

Damn good book. I haven't read a book in ages and I went through this one in a little over a day. Page turner.

necron
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by necron » November 22nd, 2008, 1:35 pm

It's on Play.com for about £12. I'm gonna get it shortly.

Old_man07
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Old_man07 » February 22nd, 2009, 6:15 pm

I just read this book, damned good book. Probably one of the best gang autobiographies out there, along with 'Home of the Bodybags' and Monster Kody's book.

More than any other book this really tells you the devastation the gang life takes not only on the victims, but also the gang members themselves. The media loves to hype up the gang lifestyle and promote it as if it's something cool, but the reality is far, far less pleasant. He talks about his many demons including drug addiction (seems like many gang members have a severe problem with drug addiction with heavy narcotics like heroin that follow them behind the walls). What's really striking is that no matter how 'down' you may be with your homies or with your gang/movement, you can still be targeted to die. It could be anything and everything, maybe you pissed off the wrong person, or something you said, but one day you are cool with everyone, next day you are on the hit list. I thought it was pretty interesting that Rene (Boxer) mentions numerous times about the fear he felt when confronted with certain situations. With all the drug use, constant threat of death and violence, and always worrying if you will be on the hit list, it's no wonder some just burn out or go crazy.

There are many interesting revelations in this book. The history of the Mexican Mafia, and how and why they chose to unite all the Surenos. What it took for him to survive and be an EME leader. The infamous hit in 1995 that killed several innocent children, what led to it and the aftermath, stomach turning stuff. The Pelican Bay racial riot in 2000, the biggest riot in California history (Boxer and the senior EME members weren't even aware of the planned riot; it was planned separately by EME associates who were in control of that yard). Why he flipped and turned witness.

The one thing he didn't really discuss in depth was the current racial conflicts between blacks and mexicans on the streets. As he was one of the head honchos during that time when EME decided to take over the drug operations from black gangs, you would think he would have more insight on this current conflict. It was funny though how he recalls a Crip actually saved his life one time when he OD'd on heroin, the Crip threw some scalding coffee on his legs to wake him up as he had stopped breathing.

Overall, a must read if you want to know the history and life of one of EME's biggest turncoats.

crm
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: District of Columbia
What city do you live in now?: Miami

Unread post by crm » September 11th, 2009, 11:38 pm

This was an excellent book. What struck me was how people can be so loyal to an organization that could turn on you so easily. It seemed like they were killing each other at every turn. They preach loyalty but they dont practice it.

crm
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: District of Columbia
What city do you live in now?: Miami

Unread post by crm » October 2nd, 2009, 10:27 am

Tony Rafaels book was not that bad. Don't get me wrong, the black hand was a lot better. It provided details from an insider, an actual eme member. But tony rafaels book gave the reader a pretty good idea of how the mexican mafia operates. People say that the guy went off on a tangent by going into details about the avenues, but I think the author did this because he used the emes infiltration of the avenues to demonstrate how the eme enforces its will on the streets through street gangs. The book mentions how this is not unique to the avenues. The book is also interesting because he discusses street gangs in general, and again he uses the avenues as an example to show how street gangs function and how they are tied to more organized crime (eme). His descriptions of how law enforcement and how it operates are also interesting.

MCD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: East Side Sacra

Unread post by MCD » February 22nd, 2010, 8:11 pm

I been reading this book for a couple weeks its one of the most interesting books I've read. I like how different stories and people pop into the book like peewee aguirre and Character and the crew that shot up that family. I think anyone looking to learn more about La eme and the prison system needs to pick up this book.

19DAGO04
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: 1904

Unread post by 19DAGO04 » February 22nd, 2010, 10:12 pm

One thing that bugs me about this book...and its fuckin nit picky...but...

Del Sol is not a Chula Vista gang. VDS is on the outskirts of CV in South San Diego.

But Bat did grow up in Chula Vista 's Castle Park neighborhood. How the hell did Bat end up riding with Del Sol instead of Otay if he was from the Castle Park hood? Now that's a trip!

nmarie17
What city do you live in now?: Porterville

Unread post by nmarie17 » June 23rd, 2010, 10:32 pm

I've read in articles and posts that Boxer is now a guest speaker in classes..does anyone know where he is being held (prison) ? I'd love a chance to sit in or at least write to him. I've read the book and the near the end where he describes the first time he cried really affected me. I enjoyed the reading very much and am now "obsessed" with learning more.

youngspade
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Inglewood

Unread post by youngspade » June 23rd, 2010, 10:34 pm

nmarie17 wrote:I've read in articles and posts that Boxer is now a guest speaker in classes..does anyone know where he is being held (prison) ? I'd love a chance to sit in or at least write to him. I've read the book and the near the end where he describes the first time he cried really affected me. I enjoyed the reading very much and am now "obsessed" with learning more.

Either Homosexual Or A Dumb Cop, But hes already locked up and told all, so hes gay, yup! Im sure he would be happy to sit next to you too!

MCD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MCD » June 27th, 2010, 3:59 pm

youngspade wrote:
nmarie17 wrote:I've read in articles and posts that Boxer is now a guest speaker in classes..does anyone know where he is being held (prison) ? I'd love a chance to sit in or at least write to him. I've read the book and the near the end where he describes the first time he cried really affected me. I enjoyed the reading very much and am now "obsessed" with learning more.

Either Homosexual Or A Dumb Cop, But hes already locked up and told all, so hes gay, yup! Im sure he would be happy to sit next to you too!
haha

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by StillNoScript » July 12th, 2010, 12:31 am

This book's garbage. Some law enforcement and journalists have been trying to make EME look like an east coast Italian mafia for years. I'll tell you right now, if they were, you wouldn't see gang banging the way you see it in LA.

MCD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MCD » July 12th, 2010, 5:18 pm

StillNoScript wrote:This book's garbage. Some law enforcement and journalists have been trying to make EME look like an east coast Italian mafia for years. I'll tell you right now, if they were, you wouldn't see gang banging the way you see it in LA.
they're not like the italian mob its a whole different breed. a group of mobsters that control thousands of street soldiers, the only thing preventing them from being the most powerful organization is lack of discipline and order

stickupkidakaBIGBANDIT
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by stickupkidakaBIGBANDIT » July 12th, 2010, 6:24 pm

DEL SOL WAS A CLICK OF OTAY. FROM RIVERBOTTOMS TO BEYER. I KNOW HIS FAMILY REAL WELL. HIS SONS ARE FROM OTAY. HIS BEST FRIEND IS FROM OTAY. THERE'S A RUMOR HE HAD AN OTAY TATT.

OTAY IS OLDER.
19DAGO04 wrote:One thing that bugs me about this book...and its fuckin nit picky...but...

Del Sol is not a Chula Vista gang. VDS is on the outskirts of CV in South San Diego.

But Bat did grow up in Chula Vista 's Castle Park neighborhood. How the hell did Bat end up riding with Del Sol instead of Otay if he was from the Castle Park hood? Now that's a trip!

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by StillNoScript » July 12th, 2010, 9:05 pm

MCD wrote:
StillNoScript wrote:This book's garbage. Some law enforcement and journalists have been trying to make EME look like an east coast Italian mafia for years. I'll tell you right now, if they were, you wouldn't see gang banging the way you see it in LA.
they're not like the italian mob its a whole different breed. a group of mobsters that control thousands of street soldiers, the only thing preventing them from being the most powerful organization is lack of discipline and order
I don't know if I'd call it control. I think they just extort them. When I hear the word "control", I think of a man walking his dog. "sit dog", the dog sits, etc. If EME is controlling all of these gang members, EME's giving them orders to tag everything, put the number 13 by their tag, which is now common knowledge that it represents their loyalty to EME? EME's ordering all of these random, day to day murders over nothing more than turf? Why? I don't see anything "controlled" about the Chicano gang scene in Los Angeles. Out of control is more like it.

19DAGO04
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: 1904

Unread post by 19DAGO04 » July 12th, 2010, 9:53 pm

stickupkidakaBIGBANDIT wrote:DEL SOL WAS A CLICK OF OTAY. FROM RIVERBOTTOMS TO BEYER. I KNOW HIS FAMILY REAL WELL. HIS SONS ARE FROM OTAY. HIS BEST FRIEND IS FROM OTAY. THERE'S A RUMOR HE HAD AN OTAY TATT.

OTAY IS OLDER.
19DAGO04 wrote:One thing that bugs me about this book...and its fuckin nit picky...but...

Crazy! I heard about that too. That DS split off of Otay in the late 1960's. I always thought that was a rumor. I asked a Yato about that. He wouldn't confirm it. But I heard of that split off. I heard that's how -RBLS- started up. Some inner beef in Otay..some spit off to form DS and then RBLS click formed from the rest that stayed with Otay.

My family lived in Otay way back in the day. They said that the gang Otay was around since the 1930's. They beefed with Sidro and Nacional back then. It was before your hood (-OTNC-) popped up. Well, it was pretty much your hood. They were supposed to have gone from just claiming Nacional to OTNC. Is that true? The Nacional->OTNC?

mayugastank
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Whittier

Unread post by mayugastank » July 12th, 2010, 10:00 pm

StillNoScript wrote:
MCD wrote:
I don't know if I'd call it control. I think they just extort them. When I hear the word "control", I think of a man walking his dog. "sit dog", the dog sits, etc. If EME is controlling all of these gang members, EME's giving them orders to tag everything, put the number 13 by their tag, which is now common knowledge that it represents their loyalty to EME? EME's ordering all of these random, day to day murders over nothing more than turf? Why? I don't see anything "controlled" about the Chicano gang scene in Los Angeles. Out of control is more like it.

Yes they have a hard toime controlling anything due to a lack of members --they have their pick of thousands of soldiers and they supposedly got 100 real actual members. Thats why they run into such disarray in controlling anything. They dont have much say in the day to day gangbanging because they are too spread out and lack numbers! During the early part of the 1990s -they were extremely active and had total control of the streets. But those big busts in 1995 and 1999 basically took all of them out. Boxer said that during his time in the 1990s their were only some 20 EME out in the free world . 20 to control thousands of gangs?! No way ....the old heads were saying that their were too many new members being made for the wrong reasons so at their peak of power they pulled the plug on any new member . They went close to 7 years during the 1990s that not a one new member was inducted. When they finally did get numbers ...BANG! a new indictment and a 4th EME snitch....who basically singlehandedly wiped all members on the streets out.They need to make a good deal of new guys to get shit back in order again and I guess their so much resistance in making new members that its virtually impossible to get a full vote, on an incoming street member meaning that if that guy isnt already in Pelican Bay doing time with the main heads he is NEVER going to be considered for membership!What a waste of a power system they have ....people were actually almost killed over being made members during the time they closed their books.
I understand being selective but this is their biggest vaccuum -they can use guys to have a say so --but then other hoods are like he isnt even a real EME....fuck him! which happened in some citys in fountain valley and pomona.....

MCD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MCD » July 14th, 2010, 2:26 pm

StillNoScript wrote: I don't know if I'd call it control. I think they just extort them. When I hear the word "control", I think of a man walking his dog. "sit dog", the dog sits, etc. If EME is controlling all of these gang members, EME's giving them orders to tag everything, put the number 13 by their tag, which is now common knowledge that it represents their loyalty to EME? EME's ordering all of these random, day to day murders over nothing more than turf? Why? I don't see anything "controlled" about the Chicano gang scene in Los Angeles. Out of control is more like it.
Well the biggest difference between italian mob and eMe n NF is that most of the bosses are locked up and send orders from prison, not like the mob where they operate best outside of prison and are destroyed by incarceration. At least that's how i see it. Also, i heard mob families have an actual screening process before they accept members at the street level, so that cuts out alot of the half-asses and punks. So they got a core of people who are straight business so they work more effectively, and the boss is physically there. Just more communication and order I think. And like mayugastank said there's way too many members for them to control, n you gotta figure most surenos or nortenos don't know all the bosses very well personally.