Mistrial declared in '49th Street Massacre' that shook South L.A.

Discuss general Black gangs in Los Angeles County which include Bloods, Crips, Hustlers, Crews and Independent groups in Los Angeles County here.
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Mistrial declared in '49th Street Massacre' that shook South L.A.

Unread post by alexalonso » December 2nd, 2009, 2:28 pm

This topic correspond to the post that can be found at http://www.streetgangs.com/news/120209_ ... ssacre/:by Richard Winton (LA Times)
December 2, 2009

A judge declared a mistrial today in the case of two gang members accused in the "49th Street Massacre" of three people in 2006.

The decision came after a jury deadlocked in the case, which sparked community outrage and became a symbol of the long reach of gang violence in South L.A.

Los Angeles Police Department detectives concluded that members of the Rollin' 30s gang fired at the victims -- who had no gang ties -- while driving around the neighborhood looking for members of the Eastside Trece. The suspects, who are black, fired on a group, all Latinos, standing outside a house on 49th Street.

The shooting was dubbed "the 49th Street Massacre" by then-Police Chief William J. Bratton.

The victims included David Marcial, 10, a fourth-grader at Hooper Elementary School, and his uncle, Larry Marcial, 22, a father of two and an aspiring singer of corridos, or Mexican ballads. Larry Marcial was included on a CD with other singers, and the shooting came as it was about to be released, according to the producer, who said he had hoped it would launch Marcial's career. The third victim, Luis Cervantes, 17, was a junior at Johnson High School and a neighbor of the Marcials.

Police said none had gang ties and were simply at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Attorneys for the two suspects, Charles Smith and Ryan Moore, insisted their clients were not involved in the shooting.

H572DSTA
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Mistrial declared in '49th Street Massacre' that shook South

Unread post by H572DSTA » December 3rd, 2009, 3:08 pm

the crazy thing is that Eastside 13 aint even near 49th street

youngspade
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Inglewood

Unread post by youngspade » December 3rd, 2009, 3:44 pm

[quote="H572DSTA"]the crazy thing is that Eastside 13 aint even near 49th street[/quote]

LOL maybe they had a tip or was on too something?

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » December 22nd, 2009, 4:36 am

Charles Smith, aka Crickett, 38, from 30s Piru was the main defendant along with a guy named Rockland. The jury was split, 9 guilty and 3 not guilty and the star witness, Alicia Merceron, aka LiLi from 30s Piru testified against Crickett admitting to driving the car when the 3 hispanics were killed on 49th & Central. She also admitted to driving the car in other murders and she recieved a deal of 7 years for and had admitted to participating to at least 6 or 7 murders.

The the will most likely re-try the case next year in March or April. Don't know what different approach they will attempt.

H572DSTA
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by H572DSTA » December 22nd, 2009, 9:17 am

alexalonso wrote:Charles Smith, aka Crickett, 38, from 30s Piru was the main defendant along with a guy named Rockland. The jury was split, 9 guilty and 3 not guilty and the star witness, Alicia Merceron, aka LiLi from 30s Piru testified against Crickett admitting to driving the car when the 3 hispanics were killed on 49th & Central. She also admitted to driving the car in other murders and she recieved a deal of 7 years for and had admitted to participating to at least 6 or 7 murders.

The the will most likely re-try the case next year in March or April. Don't know what different approach they will attempt.
damn fuccin snitches!!!!

you cant trust a bitch....it is like it is!!!

i wonder who they was searching on 49st cause ES trece is way up north

so i guess in retaliation they shot p-gangster from R'30s

youngspade
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by youngspade » December 22nd, 2009, 10:20 am

H572DSTA wrote:
alexalonso wrote:Charles Smith, aka Crickett, 38, from 30s Piru was the main defendant along with a guy named Rockland. The jury was split, 9 guilty and 3 not guilty and the star witness, Alicia Merceron, aka LiLi from 30s Piru testified against Crickett admitting to driving the car when the 3 hispanics were killed on 49th & Central. She also admitted to driving the car in other murders and she recieved a deal of 7 years for and had admitted to participating to at least 6 or 7 murders.

damn fuccin snitches!!!!

Im confused, I thought it was the Harlems 30s, not 30s piru! But I guess I was read this wrong!

H572DSTA
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by H572DSTA » December 22nd, 2009, 1:42 pm

youngspade wrote:
H572DSTA wrote:

damn fuccin snitches!!!!

Im confused, I thought it was the Harlems 30s, not 30s piru! But I guess I was read this wrong!
yeah i was too...but the article meant R'30s Ruz

it wouldnt make no sence that Harlems bangin on ES 13

youngspade
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by youngspade » December 22nd, 2009, 5:39 pm

^^^

Not Geography wise but BANGING wise I wouldnt put it past no hoods beefing with eachother no matter how far and I really thought it was them because they would get confused on finding actuall E13s because they are not familiar with them or there hood so I figured it was them. But thats a fucking shame R'30 Ruz cant get a enemey they arent that far from! Fucking sad then they got snitchs, boy I hate NEWAGE bangers!

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » December 23rd, 2009, 6:01 pm

The confusion was allowed and probably encouraged by LAPD...they would normally correct the media for this, but they allowed it.

Harlem 30's - large, reputable westside crip gang
30's Piru - small, eastside damu gang

These people are paid as gang experts to know this type of stuff....

youngspade
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by youngspade » December 23rd, 2009, 6:37 pm

Coup wrote:The confusion was allowed and probably encouraged by LAPD...they would normally correct the media for this, but they allowed it.

Harlem 30's - large, reputable westside crip gang
30's Piru - small, eastside damu gang

These people are paid as gang experts to know this type of stuff....

That rite there is words from a WISE man lol.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » January 17th, 2010, 10:46 pm

on one of the old articles they put it as harlem, they been confusin the two

OG Redbone
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by OG Redbone » February 13th, 2010, 10:16 am

DID TIME with CRICKETT KNOW HIS BIG BRO, the BITCH WOW THATS SUM FUCK UP SHIT :mrgreen:

H572DSTA
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by H572DSTA » February 13th, 2010, 12:55 pm

OG Redbone wrote:

DID TIME with CRICKETT KNOW HIS BIG BRO, the BITCH WOW THATS SUM fu-- UP SHIT :mrgreen:
you shouldnt let bitches get involved in your bizznes thats just how i feel

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Re: Mistrial declared in '49th Street Massacre' that shook S

Unread post by Quepolo3 » November 20th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Does anyone know what happened with this case. It got alot of attention all over the country, but I never heard what the verdict was.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Re: Mistrial declared in '49th Street Massacre' that shook S

Unread post by alexalonso » November 30th, 2011, 1:25 am

Quepolo3 wrote:Does anyone know what happened with this case. It got alot of attention all over the country, but I never heard what the verdict was.
Eventually Charles Smith and Ryan Moore were convicted for the three murders but after a couple mistrials. I think Ryan Moore was convicted after three trials and Charles Smith was convicted on his second trial. What was weird, was that the evidence used was identical for both defendants but on the second trial, they convicted Smith and hung on Moore, even though the evidence treated the two suspects as one, a team, together.

The the also tried to give them the death penalty, but another jury hung for both defendants on the death penalty. They may retry the penalty for Charles Moore. Not sure yet. It looks as if the two will be sentenced to life, 5 years after the initial shooting, this case looks over.

Final note on this case was that a girl named Alicia Merceron, claimed she was the driver, admitted to the triple murder, and admitted to participating in other shootings and at least one other murder, and one other attempted murder, but because she testified against the two, she was given only a 7 year sentence.