Bird Rock Bandit White Gang Ruled Not a Gang

This section will discuss the West, defined by the following states; Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
Forum rules
Excluding Los Angeles, discuss all other California cities and counties.
blackandbrownpower

Bird Rock Bandit White Gang Ruled Not a Gang

Unread post by blackandbrownpower » May 30th, 2008, 1:58 pm

this is some BS! yeah, true they aren't a REAL gang... but under the law in Cali they definatley could be considered that, this is another case of rich white boys not getting prosecuted for shit that anyone else definately would

National Briefing | West
California: Judge Rejects Gang Label
Sign In to E-Mail or Save This Print Reprints Share
DiggFacebookMixxYahoo! BuzzPermalink

By JENNIFER STEINHAUER
Published: May 23, 2008
A San Diego Superior Court judge ruled that five men accused of killing a professional surfer should stand trial for second-degree murder, but rejected the prosecution’s claims that the accused men constituted a criminal street gang. The group, known as the Bird Rock Bandits, are accused of beating Emery Kauanui Jr., 24, to death last May after an altercation at a local bar. Judge John Einhorn said he had carefully deliberated the notion of the surfer groups as a gang but had concluded that such charges would be akin to putting “a round peg in a square hole.” The next hearing in the case is set for June 10; four of the five men are free on bail.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Re: Bird Rock Bandit White Gang Ruled Not a Gang

Unread post by Silencioso » June 6th, 2008, 2:39 pm

I don't know the details of this case but part of the CA penal code's definaition of a gang includes "an ongoing pattern of delinquency or criminal activity". I think the defence's argument was based on the lack of any ongoing criminality on the part of the Bird Rock Bandits apart from the one homicide.

I agree with you, though. It's BS. one of the reasons the CA penal code's definition of a gang is so broad was so the defintion would include tagging crews. If a tagging crew is a gang then certainly a gang of delinquent surfer boys qualifies. Basically the defense attorney played the system.

19DAGO04
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: 1904

Unread post by 19DAGO04 » May 3rd, 2010, 3:17 pm

blackandbrownpower wrote:this is some BS! yeah, true they aren't a REAL gang... but under the law in Cali they definatley could be considered that, this is another case of rich white boys not getting prosecuted for shit that anyone else definately would
Just a little background on these fools. They are not all white. One was Mexican (maybe half white) and Seth Cravens, the one that delivered the fatal blow, is part Samoan. But-I get the point. RICH and AFFLUENT is the keyword. Any other kids from -SESD- or -SBSD- would have been tagged as a street gang.

Look at the facts:

-BRB- =claimed a territory, had a territorial name for the group, used the group name for intimidation purposes, yelled and/or threw hand signs during assults, marked their turf with graffiti

Any other street gang =claims a territory, has a territorial name for the group, uses the group name for intimidation purposes, yells and/or throws hand signs during assaults, marks there turf with graffiti

No difference between the two.

I had a chance to look at the search warrant and background info on the case. The main fool Cravens was trying to impress the Hells Angels. His homeboy is the treasurer for the Dago charter. HAMCD is AKA as "Dago Mob." But HAMCD also has a puppet gang that backs them up that also goes by the name "Dago Mob." This gang is basically HA without motorcycles. Full of gangsters/supporters that support HA that don't ride, or that won't/can't prospect for the club, or that may be in the very initial stage of prospecting for the club. That fool Cravens was trying to work his way into Dago Mob before he killed Emory Kauanui.

I wonder what HAMCD thinks of all of this. That fool Cravens brought even more unwanted heat on HAMCD. Especially since they have absolutely nothing to do with this case, but Dago Mob and HAMCD is repeatedly brought up in the search warrant and the background facts. Just more fodder for law enforcement. Every fuzz agent in Dago already has a hard on for 1%'ers (especially 81's!)

19DAGO04
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 19DAGO04 » May 3rd, 2010, 3:25 pm

And anyone in Dago will remember the good old days of the Pacific Beach Rats in the 1980's. That was a real surf/sui gang. Those fools would go toe to toe with any hood in San Diego. They were always brawling with -SE- and -SB- hoods, and some of those gangs were ran the f*ck out of PacBeach. -BRB- would not have lasted 5 seconds with the the Rats.

19DAGO04
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 19DAGO04 » May 3rd, 2010, 3:38 pm

Silencioso wrote:I don't know the details of this case but part of the CA penal code's definaition of a gang includes "an ongoing pattern of delinquency or criminal activity". I think the defence's argument was based on the lack of any ongoing criminality on the part of the Bird Rock Bandits apart from the one homicide.

I agree with you, though. It's BS. one of the reasons the CA penal code's definition of a gang is so broad was so the defintion would include tagging crews. If a tagging crew is a gang then certainly a gang of delinquent surfer boys qualifies. Basically the defense attorney played the system.
Here's the warrant/background fact. Background shows clear ongoing pattern.

http://legacy.signonsandiego.com/news/m ... search.pdf

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » September 6th, 2010, 2:57 am

if you follow the California definition of street gang, 186.22, the history of the Bird Rock Bandit would fall right in line with other groups being called a street gang, but because the 5 members were white or appeared white, and from middle class / upper middle class backgrounds, the Judge rejected the gang label.

I would object to calling several crimes, "gang related" even among gang members, so it was ridiculous to suggest that the Bird Rock Bandits a gang, but I was surprised that the Judge rejected it. If these guys were black / hispanic believe me that the Judge would apply the gang enhancement 186.22 to their crimes.

These guys even had predicate criminal acts, previous dirt they committed, so I thought the Judge would have called them a gang.

scrub1819
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: San Diego

Unread post by scrub1819 » September 15th, 2010, 12:57 am

19DAGO04 wrote:And anyone in Dago will remember the good old days of the Pacific Beach Rats in the 1980's. That was a real surf/sui gang. Those fools would go toe to toe with any hood in San Diego. They were always brawling with -SE- and -SB- hoods, and some of those gangs were ran the f*ck out of PacBeach. -BRB- would not have lasted 5 seconds with the the Rats.
was PB Vermin around back then too?

idonno why but, im sooo interested in learning about these types of krews lol

19DAGO04
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 19DAGO04 » September 15th, 2010, 5:41 pm

scrub1819 wrote:
19DAGO04 wrote:And anyone in Dago will remember the good old days of the Pacific Beach Rats in the 1980's. That was a real surf/sui gang. Those fools would go toe to toe with any hood in San Diego. They were always brawling with -SE- and -SB- hoods, and some of those gangs were ran the f*ck out of PacBeach. -BRB- would not have lasted 5 seconds with the the Rats.
was PB Vermin around back then too?

idonno why but, im sooo interested in learning about these types of krews lol

PBV-I thought was only around back then. Some dude told me that PBV is active again.

scrub1819
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: San Diego

Unread post by scrub1819 » September 17th, 2010, 12:15 pm

im not really sure if they're around, they might be, but i dont think they're active n runnin around like they used to or anything. i seen a fresh looking PBV hitup in a alley in PB a couple weeks ago tho..