CARNALES clique near Pico & Fairfax?

Many neighborhoods can not maintain themselves with the level of competition. They may get pulled into other neighborhoods or they just fade out. Only discuss those areas from LOS ANGELES that are gone.
TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

CARNALES clique near Pico & Fairfax?

Unread post by TheAngels » February 4th, 2013, 11:11 am

I know there used to be a Carnales clique around Pico & Fairfax in the late 80s and early 90s.

A homie was talking about this hood like they're still there but I think he might be mistaken... others said they died out in the 90s. I don't see any hitups on walls and I drive through this area every day.

I think they occupied the strip of apartments just north of Pico and along Fairfax. This strip of apartments are still mostly Latino. The areas surrounding those apartments to the West and East is made up of Whites and a few Blacks. Black neighborhoods are mainly South of Pico.

Anyone got info on them... are they no longer around?

On an unrelated note, I also see more and more Whites living in the area just south of Pico -- the neighborhood south of the Vons on both sides of Fairfax. Seeing White women jogging through there and White people riding bikes... I would have never seen that in the late 90s. That area still seems mostly Black though. Not "hood", but not far from Mansfields Crips and Drifters 13 further east. I consider this area the border of where "White LA" and "Black LA" meets.

This area brings back memories... Anyone remember Joe Connolly the "Graffiti Guerrilla" and his crazy ass? Is he still gung ho on that anti-graffiti shit? I know he was still doing it in the mid 2000s. And remember Mo Better Meaty Meat Burger that's now the Walgreens? Never ate there but that was a funny name. I heard they just reopened near La Brea & Olympic. Then Carl's Jr. on Olympic & Fairfax was a legendary writer's bench on back in the 80s and early 90s.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: CARNALES clique near Pico & Fairfax?

Unread post by Coup » February 4th, 2013, 12:18 pm

I remember the BYSH were around there. Isn't the northside of that area Little Ethiopia. There is a popular cake spot over there too.

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » February 4th, 2013, 12:57 pm

I always tripped out on the name “By Yo’Self Hustlers”

I ran into a few back in the halls in 1986 and 87

Yup… they were around back then

They straight Crip’n, Saggin, who-bangin’ …

but I tripped out cus the name implies “your by yourself” = don’t need nobody; goes vs. the gang/ mob/ group mentality

they still around huh? Crazy…

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » February 4th, 2013, 1:55 pm

Oh yeah, forgot to mention Don Magic Juan lives/lived in that neighborhood just southwest of Pico & Fairfax... near that McDonalds on Pico. I used to see his green & gold pimp mobile parked out front a few years back. Don't know if he still lives there or not.

Made me think he ain't exactly rich.

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » February 4th, 2013, 1:57 pm

Coup wrote:I remember the BYSH were around there. Isn't the northside of that area Little Ethiopia. There is a popular cake spot over there too.
Yeah Little Ethiopia is just north of there. Between Olympic & Whitworth.

I heard BYSH were around there but I was never sure. I would see some of their tags further south in Mid City.

Young Nile
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: LOL

Unread post by Young Nile » February 6th, 2013, 8:56 am

I used to go to school with a cat named Mono from CXL right there on Fair Fax... And back in 04 I worked with a dude who claimed that CXL as well but he said his homies got evicted from over there back in the 90's...

BYSH was on the other side of Pico...

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » March 7th, 2013, 1:08 am

I used to take the bus right there with some Carnales going to Fairfax High School.

SHYSTER
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by SHYSTER » April 1st, 2013, 1:39 pm

My neighbor used to be from ws CXL mtls. He did 8 yrs for stabbing a ws Rebel way back in 83.

NewChinaTown626
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: WestSide LA

Unread post by NewChinaTown626 » May 4th, 2013, 10:54 am

Didnt they have a varrio around Lincoln Heights?

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » May 7th, 2013, 3:18 am

cxl i heard of are south central 80's were the swans and msc meets not far from bms mojados and also who noticed that hood v sur 13 all over were msc 84 is

clown323

Unread post by clown323 » July 10th, 2014, 1:56 pm

West up to the homie PRIMO WS CARNALES TinyDuKeS

HappLoccc
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: LosAngeles

Unread post by HappLoccc » July 26th, 2014, 10:47 am

I was cool with them from across from us, I am By Yo S3lf 86/87-91 era,
I use to chill with a few in the mid late eighties, at times when my homies left out to go to party or function they had cars and I did not have one yet, I would walk from 3rd and La Cienga to Pico and Fairfax, I had a few routes from different directions to get to the turf, sometimes I would just walk or catch 16 bus on 3rd st to Fairfax and walk or catch the bus and get off Olympic from there and run into some CXL or if my Homies was out when I got to the turf would hang out with a few, just can not remember name from Carnales right now, I remember them and there turf well. BYSH/BYGC was Pico/Fairfax area CXL was Olympic and Fairfax.

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » July 30th, 2014, 10:45 pm

HappLoccc wrote:I was cool with them from across from us, I am By Yo S3lf 86/87-91 era,
I use to chill with a few in the mid late eighties, at times when my homies left out to go to party or function they had cars and I did not have one yet, I would walk from 3rd and La Cienga to Pico and Fairfax, I had a few routes from different directions to get to the turf, sometimes I would just walk or catch 16 bus on 3rd st to Fairfax and walk or catch the bus and get off Olympic from there and run into some CXL or if my Homies was out when I got to the turf would hang out with a few, just can not remember name from Carnales right now, I remember them and there turf well. BYSH/BYGC was Pico/Fairfax area CXL was Olympic and Fairfax.
Did you live near 3rd and La Cienega or did you work there? Just making sure you didn't mean another intersection because that's not the hood; that's a yuppie area near the Beverly Center. Then again you never know, I just couldn't picture BYSH staying up there.

Olympic and Fairfax Carl's Jr. was a big time writer's bench for graffiti heads back in the 80s. I don't know if it still was in the early 90s. I know it wasn't by the mid to late 90s.

HappLoccc
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: LosAngeles

Unread post by HappLoccc » July 31st, 2014, 12:26 am

TheAngels wrote:
HappLoccc wrote:I was cool with them from across from us, I am By Yo S3lf 86/87-91 era,
Did you live near 3rd and La Cienega or did you work there? Just making sure you didn't mean another intersection because that's not the hood; that's a yuppie area near the Beverly Center. Then again you never know, I just couldn't picture BYSH staying up there.

Olympic and Fairfax Carl's Jr. was a big time writer's bench for graffiti heads back in the 80s. I don't know if it still was in the early 90s. I know it wasn't by the mid to late 90s.
3rd and Lacienga is where I first lived at and use to catch the bus to go to Pico and Fairfax and hang out on OG Ave and Saturn. I thought I was clear on that I use to catch the bus or walk from 3rd and La Cienga. And later moved to Mid Wilshire area. I did not say I lived in the actual turf, I caught the bus from where I live near the Beverly Center to the turf, then a few years later moved to Vermont and 3rd, the Virgil and 1st and Hollywood, now the Valley,