Dear Father, Dear Son by Larry Elder, Two Lives Eight Hours

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Dear Father, Dear Son by Larry Elder, Two Lives Eight Hours

Unread post by alexalonso » April 21st, 2013, 3:13 am

Larry Elder has a new book about his relationship with his dad. There is an interesting photo on the cover, his Dad's cafe on the corner of 12th & Valencia in the Pico Union area near the 110. I found that corner on google maps for what it looked like now. #dearfatherdearson

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19364 ... 6b1f8cda80
Attachments
Elder-book-cover.jpg
Elder-book-cover.jpg (206.29 KiB) Viewed 16259 times
12th-valencia-book.jpg
12th-valencia-book.jpg (197.74 KiB) Viewed 16259 times
12th-Valencia-2011.jpg
12th-Valencia-2011.jpg (230.24 KiB) Viewed 16260 times

xxx
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: Dear Father, Dear Son by Larry Elder

Unread post by xxx » April 21st, 2013, 9:04 am

i used to listen to this dude a lot...only some times know.

i challenge him on FB on why he calls blacks Victocrats over the issue of Racism & Slavery, but brown noses Jewish People embraces their cries over the Holocaust and their cries of Anti-Semitism as not be victocratic....We went back and forth, on that...He is a smart dude, but has some issues, some self-hate issues... to hate his own Tribe like that....He reminds me of the Samual Jackson Character in Django...If you can point to a character in that movie that would fit Larry Would , it would be that nigga!

Who's Neighborhood is on 12th Street Today?

You know he went to Crenshaw High and lives in the 60's right now. That surprised me. i thought he grew up in Windsor Hills or one of the other Areas up in the Hills and pretended to be the Sage of South Central that went to Crenshaw. he is a Ghetto Child of Los Angeles. Thats why its mind Boggling on his views of his own People. You can have Conservative Views with out Publically Smashing your own Tribe in order to be embraced by another Tribe.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » April 21st, 2013, 12:29 pm

his views on black folks certainly comes from his relationship with his dad and this new book reveals where the source of what you call "self-hate" comes from. I think most black folks with similar upbringings suffer from the same self hate, and to Larry Elder's credit, he didnt take that anger and bully kids at school, or rob folks, or even worse start killing other black folks because they bumped into him, stepped on his shoes, or looked at him sideways.

He is a smart man, but he certainly needs to understand the plight of black folks from another angle and have more compassion for the reasons why the Dads are absent, or why some turn to drugs and violence and why over 50 percent of the prison population is blac and why the justice system today creates another challenge for black.

For Larry Elder, its the welfare state that created all these problems, which is flat out WRONG. The welfare state does no help, certainly, but did not create the problems that started with blacks after WW2. He never mentions that drastic loss of jobs for blacks in the late 40s and 50s, he never mentions how drugs flooded the black ghettos after WW2, two factors that probably have had more of an impact on the black male than the welfare state.

12th & Valencia is currently 18th Street hood, the original 18th Street, Hoover Locos, Grand View locos, Red SHield and a couple other clicks. When Larry Elder lived there, which I guess was in the 1950s and early 1960s, it was WS Clanton 1st Hood.

Link to book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19364 ... 6b1f8cda80

lachica69
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas

Unread post by lachica69 » May 28th, 2013, 11:37 am

Larry Elder certainly sounds and spews message that sounds like racism against people of color, mostly African Americans. I, too listen to Larry, and I think I've come to understand his harsh response to his own ppl. I believe it's because his parents were no different from any other black person living in Los Angeles or anywhere else. They had struggles with discrimination and racism, with poverty and everything else that came along with the sign of the times.

He just assumed that if his parents could make it out of the Los Angeles neighborhood and have ambitious children, then anyone could. NO EXCUSES! I guess the questions lies is "What made his life different from the rest"? Ok, he had 2 lovely hard working parents to raise him, they were ambitious and generated their own income.

As Alonso state earlier that the problems that the Angeleano's faced were more difficult.

I somewhat see what Larry tries to convey, basically if they could you can too. Stop with the excuses and just do it. You have to be born with that get it mentality or taught at a young age. His parents obviously were taught that. But, i guess the excuses continue to handicap the African American community. Slavery was over, get over it. He is not sympathetic at all to the reasons why the African American community allows themselves to be oppressed.

TarHeelRED
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: North Carolina
What city do you live in now?: New Jerusalem

Unread post by TarHeelRED » May 28th, 2013, 5:02 pm

lachica69 wrote: I somewhat see what Larry tries to convey, basically if they could you can too. Stop with the excuses and just do it. You have to be born with that get it mentality or taught at a young age. His parents obviously were taught that. But, i guess the excuses continue to handicap the African American community. Slavery was over, get over it. He is not sympathetic at all to the reasons why the African American community allows themselves to be oppressed.
We have 2 be accountable 4 our own faults & failures & cease blaming the white man, the Hebrew man, & the 'system'. It's our fault if we don't try or give an effort. If 1 attempt don't work try something else till u get it. Feeling like America owes us something b/c of slavery is what keeps us oppressed. That's looking 4 hand outs & entitlements.

lachica69
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by lachica69 » May 31st, 2013, 11:32 am

We have 2 be accountable 4 our own faults & failures & cease blaming the white man, the Hebrew man, & the 'system'. It's our fault if we don't try or give an effort. If 1 attempt don't work try something else till u get it. Feeling like America owes us something b/c of slavery is what keeps us oppressed. That's looking 4 hand outs & entitlements. [/quote]

How and when will the majority of African Americans get it? The immigrants that come to America such as the Mexicans for example, come from nada, nothing, zilch but most come with a different work ethic. They come to make it happen.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » May 31st, 2013, 2:54 pm

After the 1960's Blacks don't look out for each other. There is a haves and have nots in the Black community as a whole with those in between faking the funk on where they belong. Black folks should have never fallen into the while society issues of feminism, women, gay and religious rights. The Black community was not together as a unit and we were out trying to "fit in" and fight for causes that were really not our main issues. Blacks usually fall at the bottom of any essential social poll/ranking you can name (education, employment, etc.) ...or at the top of the ones that we dread (Aids, crime, murder, imprisonment).

This all goes to show that since the 60's Black leadership has been shit....too late to change.

lachica69
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by lachica69 » June 3rd, 2013, 11:27 am

Is it possible that things are changing or on the rode to change now that we have a black president? I would like to think so. Black ppl haven't had a real leader since the late 60's and the msg being pushed them probably wasnt the best anyway. MLK's msg was non-violent but use laws and protest to get what we wanted, Panthers, basically fight for what you want, etc.

These msgs were all about social justice, but who was really teaching how to be a family unit and with ethics? NOONE! This is where the 60's went wrong. The lets help each other but actually the message should have been help your family, make a difference there.

MLK didnt raise his kids, Malcolm X didn't either. Hmmmm that's food for thought wouldn't you say. I believe in focusing on the family. Especially now too, with the whole social media thing. Pple go crazy over watching OTHER ppls, instead these moms and dads need to be watching and raising their own children, taking care of the home.

I think with the president of today, that there may be some change. SOME! Which is better than NONE!

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » June 3rd, 2013, 11:41 am

Completely disagree with you....Obama is not and cannot change anything in the Black community!

He is the President of the UNITED States...he has to represent everyone. Here is some Black man barbershop talk for you...Obama is not a real Black American!!! :shock: His daddy was a Kenyan national...his momma white...dude is a true African American....not a BLACK American. He has no roots to American slavery or the lineage of the "suffering" that it caused. His people have never been American slaves.

He is a great role model and idol for Black kids...all kids really, but he will not be a change for the Black community.

In today's world, if I opened a Black Christian/Muslim heterosexual only school in LA, every Mexican, Salvi, Korean, and fag would have a problem...they would bitch about separation instead of working together. What has working together with Blacks since the 60's gotten us?????

People forget that even though racism was "open"...Blacks had real communities. There was a Black Wall Street...Blacks had businesses that catered to Blacks....I know it was out of necessity but they existed and were profitable....Blacks wanted to get a piece of the white pie...maybe the crust had more butter and looked more crispy..but you throw in the social politics and the growing Black separation and you have us where we are now.

Other racial groups pool their $$...work together and help each other. You can see the separation here and there, but overall Asians and Hispanics will help each other...Blacks not so much. How else do you explain it. Blacks need to smell the coffee and work together more and continue to get left behind.

lachica69
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by lachica69 » June 3rd, 2013, 1:35 pm

[quote][/quote]Obama is not a real Black American!!! :shock: His daddy was a Kenyan national...his momma white...dude is a true African American....not a BLACK American. He has no roots to American slavery or the lineage of the "suffering" that it caused. His people have never been American slaves.

This is so true, I didn't say it but by using a Spanish immigrant, i believe i sorta made that same point you did. I'm from Belize and I always wondered why my family who immigrated to America made a better life than the Black Americans who were already here. I guess I really just want to dismiss this but you cant hide from it. When we came we all worked together to get here and to succeed. Then, tell me why didn't the black community learn to help each other like the immigrants here in the US?

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » June 3rd, 2013, 3:10 pm

Maybe passing out that County money just does not work =, maybe it makes you more lazy. Immigrants dont qualify for Section 8, welfare, county money, food stamps, etc. So they have no choice to work harder.

Link to Book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19364 ... 6b1f8cda80

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » June 3rd, 2013, 3:34 pm

Tell me why didn't the black community learn to help each other like the immigrants here in the US?

When I talk to some old timers...they laugh when the term "Black Community" is used. As a whole...whether you break it down by Country, State, County, City or neighborhood I cannot think of one thing that the entire Black Community of LA agreed or united for as one unit. Tom Bradley? 92 Riots? OJ? Obama? We are going to have different opinions about any and everything, but as a Black Community, when was the last time we stood as one. Not in my lifetime...not once that I can remember. My homies in Ladera or View Park could give a fuck about any homies I have in Compton or the eastside...even if they Granny still live there.

White causes and white people problems was a trojan horse that broke the unity that Black folks had.

Immigrants pool their $$. Stay true to their culture for the most part...and even though they have serious generational issues..in particular the 2nd or 3rd generation that is US grown...they respect their community. South Americans, Mexicans, and especially Asians fully understand and reach for that "American Dream". Inner City Blacks hope they don't get arrested or shot before they turn 21.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » June 6th, 2013, 12:22 am

Coup wrote:Tell me why didn't the black community learn to help each other like the immigrants here in the US?

When I talk to some old timers...they laugh when the term "Black Community" is used. As a whole...whether you break it down by Country, State, County, City or neighborhood I cannot think of one thing that the entire Black Community of LA agreed or united for as one unit.
Thats exactly what i have always been thinking. People make the mistake to believe that whites stick together because of their color of skin, when they absolutely dont.
They stick together because of culture or a nation or a religion, whatever.
You wont see Italians mingling all the way with anglos or germans, or catholics with orthodox people etc.
And that obviously also goes for blacks, they are culturally diverse and therefore cant be counted as one.
Thats whats completely ridiculous about all this black power, white power stuff.
It absolutely doesnt work on a bigger scale, because the premise is wrong.

lachica69
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by lachica69 » June 17th, 2013, 11:10 am

Black people don't have to stick together, I don't think that's the biggest issue in that community of people. The biggest issue is changing their mindset, period. By far, the majority has been raised to see and think that what they have is all there is, and to just accept what has been handed down to them. To achieve and aspire is useless.

Once this mindset is challenged then possibly there is a chance for change. I have a friend who has created an organization to do just that. To go into the black community, and set up workshops to do so. To bring parents together and question what they were taught, to analyze what has worked with that ideology and what could work. I wish her luck!

TarHeelRED
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: North Carolina
What city do you live in now?: New Jerusalem

Unread post by TarHeelRED » August 27th, 2013, 4:43 am

lachica69 wrote:Black people don't have to stick together, I don't think that's the biggest issue in that community of people. The biggest issue is changing their mindset, period. By far, the majority has been raised to see and think that what they have is all there is, and to just accept what has been handed down to them. To achieve and aspire is useless.

Once this mindset is challenged then possibly there is a chance for change. I have a friend who has created an organization to do just that. To go into the black community, and set up workshops to do so. To bring parents together and question what they were taught, to analyze what has worked with that ideology and what could work. I wish her luck!

^^^ Again, good perspective.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » September 4th, 2016, 12:58 pm

Link to book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19364 ... 6b1f8cda80