Why Do People Join Gangs

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

LionTheOracle
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Why Do People Join Gangs

Unread post by LionTheOracle » November 23rd, 2017, 9:50 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5u_AQpoC3k

Dj Ghosts give a great perspective on why people bang in L.A.
I went exactly through that self conscious thinking, but I wasnt pushed into the gang direction until guys tried to bully me. I knew I could hold my own but I also no out here they didnt respect anything but the color.

protect your youth before they become a recruit.

LionTheOracle
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re: Why Do People Join Gangs

Unread post by LionTheOracle » November 23rd, 2017, 10:04 pm

How To Survive In The Hood REACTION!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuWo978wKp4

OziHomie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Florida
What city do you live in now?: Sydney

Unread post by OziHomie » December 12th, 2017, 5:46 pm

for what its worth i will tell you why i joined a gang in sydney,australia ... and why many of my homies also joined ... as i see it thereare two types of people who join ... the first are. like myself .. i was a victim of bullying and assault by age 14 id had over 30 street fights id been smashed across the head with a 2by4 by one kid and anothertime got king hit with a bat acrossthejaw... i then becameviolent and went on to break one kids arm in a fight and left 3 others with broken legs in various fights... when hiphop dropped ... people like me who were alreaddy prone to violence and who came from poor heavily disadvantaged homes formed gangs .. when i say i was poor im talking no food no electricity poor and with a violent father who neglected his duty to b a father .. many of my fellow homies fit in this mould ... the second group were the posers and wannabes... we had a lot of kids who got into graff then crime who came from good homes werent poor and werent victims. they were just dumbasses who wanted a reputation and often went on to make the most trouble though most of these heads had an easy out and when the heat was really on they disappeared and got their tatts removed and became good citizens ... i personally never got along with that group and they always seemed to vie for my respect but never really got it... to me they were idiots coz i was on the streets coz i had few choices but i hated it ... why someone would piss a good life away to b on the streets just to get a rep made no snese to me ... so i dunno howthisrelates to la gangs but in sydneys gutters thats pretty much how it went down.. that wa s our microcosm as i witnessed it

OziHomie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by OziHomie » December 12th, 2017, 6:08 pm

i should add a third group.. which crosses over into the first which is minority groups... whilst in australia themajority of heads were white usually from poor dysfunctinoal and violent homes anothernotable group were minority groups, this included Indigenous who really took to hiphop and its messages, polynesians who in the 80s were getting established in society(and today are very successful and highly respected citizens), the “browns” such as italians and latinos who were often racially vilified and to a lesser degree asians who usually stayed out of street gangs but formed thier own powerful gangs , should also add arabs/muslims and africans who made up another smalll but potent subset of our hmie mix and in the 80s weredefinatly minorities struggling to fit into white australia.. these minorities intermixed among most gangs and really formed the backbone with the white homies of australian hiphop and to this day function together as one ... as ivesaid australain gangs werent racist but tended to be location so if u came from an area you joined with th elocal gang and race wasnt an issue ... in our gang we had aboriginals arabs whites africans asian latinos italians kiwis all togetherdaily for years and rarely fought amongst each other .. most of us werebound by broken imppoverished homes, violent parents or being targets of bullys .. as a gang we were untouchable and went on to have more fun laughs than even most rich kids had so growing up was memorable and as some of us got older our reps stayed on and the meremention of our affiliations gave us instant respect even to this day in some circles ... for example i used to go to thebest clubs and not wait in line nor pay and when joints got raided i was tipped off but i guess it depends who u knew .. i was lucky i suppliedsecurity to some big players back then so had access to knowledge about shit very few know about

OziHomie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by OziHomie » December 12th, 2017, 6:13 pm

[quote="OziHomie"]i should add a third group.. which crosses over into the first which is minority groups... whilst in australia themajority of heads were white usually from poor dysfunctinoal and violent homes anothernotable group were minority groups, this included Indigenous who really took to hiphop and its messages, polynesians who in the 80s were getting established in society(and today are very successful and highly respected citizens), the “browns” such as italians and latinos who were often racially vilified and to a lesser degree asians who usually stayed out of street gangs but formed thier own powerful gangs , should also add arabs/muslims and africans who made up another smalll but potent subset of our hmie mix and in the 80s weredefinatly minorities struggling to fit into white australia.. these minorities intermixed among most gangs and really formed the backbone with the white homies of australian hiphop and to this day function together as one ... as ivesaid australain gangs werent racist but tended to be location so if u came from an area you joined with th elocal gang and race wasnt an issue ... in our gang we had aboriginals arabs whites africans asian latinos italians kiwis all togetherdaily for years and rarely fought amongst each other .. most of us werebound by broken imppoverished homes, violent parents or being targets of bullys .. as a gang we were untouchable and went on to have more fun laughs than even most rich kids had so growing up was memorable and as some of us got older our reps stayed on and the meremention of our affiliations gave us instant respect even to this day in some circles..