Detroit Mafia

American organized crime groups included traditional groups such as La Cosa Nostra & the Italian Mafia to modern groups such as Black Mafia Family. Discuss the most organized criminal groups in the United States including gangs in Canada.
Forum rules
This section discusses organized crime groups in the US and Canadian street gangs.

Re: Detroit Mafia

Postby Italian82 » July 10th, 2008, 9:12 pm

The detroit's mob is mostly on the upper eastside (burbs), most of the acting members do not hang out in the city of detroit they have a few small places
they report to pretty much evey day, Along with running there day to day business's. As for the "mob" side of business all of the members are not doing any kind of unlegitimate business. Mostly the guy's get togather and hang out, it has really changed in the last few years and i don't think it will ever be the same.
I'm a part of the younger group, i grew up with alot of these guy's son's & grandsons.

We are in the the works of opening an ITALIAN SOCIAL CLUB on the upper eastside, the place will be mostly a bar and club food kinda deal.
Italian82

What city do you live in now?: detroit

Postby Richboy17 » July 11th, 2008, 10:19 am

Isnt the Detroit mob one of the most powerful family in America. And what does the counselor emeritus do?
Richboy17
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Postby Italian82 » July 11th, 2008, 10:56 am

I would not say they are the most powerful, in the country but there is allot of money in the family
Italian82

Postby Richboy17 » July 11th, 2008, 12:51 pm

Italian82 wrote:I would not say they are the most powerful, in the country but there is allot of money in the family

Like they are more powerful than any other family besides New York and Chicago.
Richboy17
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Postby Italian82 » July 11th, 2008, 6:24 pm

Like they are more powerful than any other family besides New York and Chicago

that is true ...
Italian82

Postby thewestside » July 14th, 2008, 2:26 am

Italian82 wrote:The detroit's mob is mostly on the upper eastside (burbs), most of the acting members do not hang out in the city of detroit they have a few small places
they report to pretty much evey day, Along with running there day to day business's. As for the "mob" side of business all of the members are not doing any kind of unlegitimate business. Mostly the guy's get togather and hang out, it has really changed in the last few years and i don't think it will ever be the same.
I'm a part of the younger group, i grew up with alot of these guy's son's & grandsons.

We are in the the works of opening an ITALIAN SOCIAL CLUB on the upper eastside, the place will be mostly a bar and club food kinda deal.

The Detroit family has been known for a long time for delegating much of the running of the illegal activities (bookmaking, loansharking, high-stakes card games, etc.) to associates. That's one reason the family has been very hard to penetrate by law enforcement. The upper echelons are very removed from the day to day activities.

Richboy17 wrote:Like they are more powerful than any other family besides New York and Chicago.

I'd say they are rivaled by the New England and Philadelphia families. Also the DeCavalcantes at one time.
thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Postby thewestside » July 14th, 2008, 3:36 am

Here is a recent updated chart of the family -

DETROIT LCN FAMILY

Boss: Giacomo "Black Jack" Tocco
Underboss: Anthony "Tony Z" Zerilli
Acting Underboss: Vito "Billy Jack" Giacalone
Consigliere: Anthony "Tony T/Tic Toc Tony" Tocco

Counselor Emeritus:

Antonino "Tony the Exterminator" Ruggirello, Jr.
Joe Barbara, Jr.
Dominic Bommarito

Street Boss (oversees all captains): Jack "Jackie the Kid" Giacalone

Captains:

1. Anthony "Chicago Tony" La Piana
2. Anthony "Tony Pal/The Butterly" Palazzola
3. Anthony "Fat Tony" Giacalone, Jr.
4. Frank "Frankie the Bomb" Bommarito
5. Peter "Specs" Tocco - imprisoned
6. Vito Tocco (acting captain)

Non-captain running a crew: Isodoro "Teddy San Diego" Matranga (California)

Soldiers:

Jack "Little Jackie" Tocco, Jr.
Anthony "Little Tony" Tocco, Jr.
Paul Tocco - may be inactive
Joe Tocco
Salvatore "Mops" Tocco
Carlo Bommarito
Jack "Jackie Two Guns/The Builder" Russo
Joe Messina
Pete Messina
John Schirotta
Paul "Big Paulie" Corrado
Paul "Cousin Paulie" Corrado
Peter "Fat Pete" Corrado
Peter "The Baby Bull" Corrado
Dominic "Chicago Dom" Corrado
Vincenzo "Vinnie Meat Balls" Bronzino
Phillip Zerilli
David "Ace" Aceto
Eugene "Genie Boy" Baratta
Joseph Ruggirello
Antonio "Toto" Ruggirello
Salvatore "Little Sammy Pal" Palazzola
Dominic "Big Dom" Vivio
James "Jimmy the Golfer" Nerra
Don Fragale
Joey Tringale
Sam Ventigmillia
Jack "Jackie the Nose" Giacalone
Joseph "Joey Jack" Giacalone
Anthony "Little Tony Long" Cimini
Patrick "Pat the Pimp" Gatt

Inactive:

William "Billy Lee" Loiancano
Joseph "Little Joey Jack" Giacalone
Joseph "Joe Gravel" Gargalino
Robert "Bobby the Animal/Bobby the Tiger" La Puma
Jack Lucido, Jr.
Sam Lucido
Danny Triglia

Unknown Status:

Joseph "Big Joe V" Viccari
Girolamo "Jerry the Manager" Vitale
Tommy Vitale
Vincent "Vinnie Jack" Giacalone
Anthony "Little Tony Pal" Palazolla

Top Associates:

Frederick "Freddy the Saint" Salem
H. Allen "The General" Hilf
Irving "Red" Schwartz
David Feldman, Jr.
Bernard "Bernie the Jew" Schrott
Edward "Baldy" Sarkesian
Mel Boxman
Alan "Shorty" Russell
Norm Bagdasarian
Thomas Lenhart
Michael "Superfly" Krystoff
Charles "Chuckie G" Goldfarb
Leonard "Sports Club Lenny" Schultz
Mike Katranis
Frank Stevens
John "J.J." Jarjosa
Emmett "Eddie the Arab" Denha
Edward "Skinny Eddie" Samouna
Ronald Yousef
Charles "Stosh" Maloney
Allen "Fat Al" Sandelman
Lenny Silbert
Alan "Al the Toupe" Sherman
thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Postby cugine0883 » September 15th, 2008, 2:15 pm

Saseetz has a lot of info on this shit, its amazing. I hope one day the family is bigger and better than any of the others, I would like to see it grow. Its too bad its not as big 'cause I would be a member for sure.
cugine0883

Postby thewestside » September 15th, 2008, 4:49 pm

cugine0883 wrote:Saseetz has a lot of info on this shit, its amazing. I hope one day the family is bigger and better than any of the others, I would like to see it grow. Its too bad its not as big 'cause I would be a member for sure.

The New York Families have always been and will always be the largest and most powerful LCN groups in the nation. There you are looking at five large Families compared to a single smaller one in other cities. About 750 of the remaining 1,100 (70%) LCN members in the country belong to the five Families. Long after the LCN has faded away in other cities, it will still have a presence in New York. Detroit is what you would call a "2nd tier" Family, being in the same general category as New England, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Chicago.
thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Postby sort241 » November 22nd, 2008, 11:56 pm

How common is the name "Tocco" in the Detroit area? I live about two and a half hours north, in Polish/German country-- and around here, even now, when I tell people my last name is Tocco, they look at me and ask "How do you spell that?" And I swear, for such a simple spelling, you would think common sense would prevail when it comes to pronounciation....For 30 of my 35 years I've heard so many different variations, some rather insulting, that it's not even funny....

When I was in grade school and high school, I'd get teased about my "funny last name". I'd tell folks that "Tocco" is an Italian name, a name that even has association with Mafioso, but it was like the biggest joke ever told. Of course, the only reason I found that out was from a "Mafia Encyclopedia" I found in the school library. If I remember right, it only mentioned one guy, William "Black Bill" Tocco. Not really much to be impressed with, but what did I care. A couple of years later, somebody brought me a news article they had found in the Detroit News that mentioned a few of the Tocco name, in association with alleged Mafia-related activity, indictments and sentencing. That might have been back in 1996. But it was enough for me to have more than a few "I told you so" moments.

I asked my Dad about it, if he knew about or had direct relatives that might be "family", but he said no, and if there were, those people were distant relatives. Very distant.

That's all I have. I'm just curious to see what other information is out there...
sort241

What city do you live in now?: Midland

Postby justafriend » January 13th, 2009, 7:33 am

As for Chico not being a rat, he testified against Jackie Giac for the feds in an attempt to drag Jackie into a party that wasn't his - even the judge told Chico he knew he was lying - and Jackie was found Not Guilty in this case. And for someone to be so disrespectful of some of the members of Peter's Crew, obviously doesn't know who's who, what their standing is, their family connection, or their history, just because they may have other jobs, pursuits or interests. For the record, Tom Mackey pleaded guilty, and went away in the mid 90's, in the case when the feds tried to get Peter the first time around.
justafriend

What city do you live in now?: Clinton Twp

Postby Detroiter » February 14th, 2009, 9:10 pm

I met many of the mentioned names on this board through various business gatherings and family parties. The Motorcity Mafia book is a history book, many of top ranking gentlemen are very old and/or in failing health. If fact, one on the top of the list was granted early parole due to his failing health. Sure they still shot call, but with each generation that "Family" gets smaller. It's not like Goodfellas or the Sapranoes. Even in the cities that surround Palermo such as Terrasini, where many of the people on this list hail from, is no longer a mafia hot bed. The younger generations are going to college and not living the same life styles their dad's or grandfathers did when building the family wealth.

It makes me laugh when people ask where the "Mafia" hangouts are, even if you were told where these old men hang out at, you would never be welcome there anyway, because you are an outsider. This life Hollywood portrayed in the movies is not a glamorous one by far, these men took great risk in their endeavors and often did lengthy stays in federal prison, away from their families. Books and movies fuel the fantasies of men who never had the courage to take an incredible risk.
Detroiter

What city do you live in now?: Detroit

Postby Detroiter » February 14th, 2009, 9:19 pm

Oh yeah, the poster "Italian82" is full of shit. He is the kind of person that sits in front of the tv too much. I'm from the eastside and nobody calls east Detroit or the eastside the upper east side. He's a bullshiter.
Detroiter

What city do you live in now?: Detroit

Postby CheGuevara » February 14th, 2009, 10:12 pm

It makes me laugh when people ask where the "Mafia" hangouts are, even if you were told where these old men hang out at, you would never be welcome there anyway, because you are an outsider. This life Hollywood portrayed in the movies is not a glamorous one by far, these men took great risk in their endeavors and often did lengthy stays in federal prison, away from their families. Books and movies fuel the fantasies of men who never had the courage to take an incredible risk.

Well said. Couldnt agree more.
CheGuevara
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

What city do you live in now?: Nunaya

Postby Cranberry25 » March 27th, 2011, 6:16 pm

Two years since the last post, any updates. wanted to thank anyone providing information, specifically thewestside.
Cranberry25

If in the United States: Massachusetts
What city do you live in now?: 313

Postby Cranberry25 » March 27th, 2011, 6:44 pm

Also saw somewhere that the andiamo restaurant chain is mobbed funded.. any clout to that?
Cranberry25

If in the United States: Massachusetts
What city do you live in now?: 313

Previous

Return to Canada street gangs & US Organized Crime