Injunction Targets Hollywood Gang
Authorities Say “Mara Salvatrucha” Gang Terrorizes Residents
LOS ANGELES, Posted 7:50 a.m. April 14, 1998 — Members of a Hollywood street gang are prohibited from gathering in public, blocking sidewalks and other activities under a preliminary injunction issued Monday.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Patricia Collins issued the order in a public nuisance lawsuit filed last month against the “Mara Salvatrucha” gang. Los Angeles City Attorney Jim Hahn said the lawsuit seeks a permanent prohibition.
“The residents of this community have had their rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness usurped by the Mara Salvatrucha gang, which is a marauding criminal street gang,” Hahn said.
The injunction prohibits defendants from, among other things, being seen together in groups of three or more. They also cannot harass, intimidate or threaten neighborhood residents. Those who violate the order risk a jail term of up to 60 days.
County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky has said the gang uses “murder, rape, robbery and extortion” to terrorize residents in the Hollywood area. He said the county would set aside $184,000 in anti-gang funds to pay for a prosecutor and a probation officer to accompany police during patrols of gang hot spots.
There are 80 members of Mara Salvatrucha, 16 to 25 years old. The injunction places a curfew on gang members under 18. The gang has ties to the notorious Mexican prison gang, La Eme, authorities said.
Authorities say the gang makes money chiefly by selling drugs. Mara Salvatrucha has a reputation for extreme brutality and is second only to the 18th Street gang in terms of violent crimes, officials said.
Copyright 1998 by The Associated Press/KCBS