Judge hints gang injunction will be permanent
By Ventura County Star staff
July 9, 2004
A Superior Court judge indicated today that he plans to make an injunction against an Oxnard gang permanent, but not before a “full exploration” of the restrictions on the Colonia Chiques.
Judge Frederick Bysshe said he would allow defense attorneys to formally challenge terms of the injunction, which he indicated could be used as a road map for crackdowns on other Ventura County gangs.
Deputy District Attorney Karen Wold, who is leading the injunction effort, said outside court that she was encouraged by the judge’s ruling.
“I’m extremely pleased,” she said. “The injunction will protect the community. It’s already proven to be a tremendous success.”
Chief Deputy Public Defender Michael McMahon, however, also declared victory, noting Bysshe had previously turned down his office’s request to step in on the case.
“It was a day of great vindication,” McMahon said.
Bysshe approved a temporary injunction in early June. It imposes restrictions on gang members in a 6.6-square-mile patchwork of Oxnard neighborhoods, parks and businesses called a “safety zone.”
Only those served with a court order can be later arrested for violating terms of the injunction, which include prohibitions on possessing drugs, making gang signs, wearing Dallas Cowboys attire, staying out past 10 p.m. and associating with other gang members.
According to Wold, the district attorney is looking at the Chiques injunction as a test case.
“It’s safe to say, if this is successful, of course we would consider future injunctions” against other gangs in the county, she said.
Copyright 2004, Ventura County Star. All Rights Reserved.