USC student’s 1994 shooting could be reopened as a homicide case

from Los Angeles Times
March 26, 2010

Times reporter Kate Linthicum has more on Lisa La Pierre, a 42-year-old white woman who died in a hospital Monday, Jan. 18, more than 15 years after she was shot at Santa Monica Boulevard and Sweetzer Avenue in West Hollywood. A gang member who pleaded guilty to attempted murder and served time in a juvenile jail could face new charges in her death.

In 2000, The Times wrote about the gun used in La Pierre’s shooting, a .380-caliber Beretta which had been stolen in a burglary and was then used by gang members to rake a bloody trail across the city from 1994 to 1996.

Linthicum has the story on her case since:

In 1994, someone walked up to Lisa La Pierre’s parked car in West Hollywood, thrust a gun through the cracked window and fired.

The bullet didn’t kill La Pierre, but it ended life as she knew it. Paralyzed from the neck down, the USC pre-law student dropped out of school and spent the next 15 years on a ventilator and in a wheelchair.

La Pierre died in January. Now officials are trying to determine whether it was the gunshot that killed her.

The coroner initially listed her death as a homicide and later deferred a final determination pending additional tests. If the death is linked to the shooting, a case that had been closed for a decade could come back to life.

The circumstances surrounding the case are very complex, said Det. Dave Gunner of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, who has spent the last two months reviewing the case in the event that it is reopened as a homicide investigation. “There is so much gray area here,” he said.

For one, the gunman has already served time in juvenile detention center for attempted murder. It’s unclear whether Frank Antoine Lewis, now 30, could be tried again.

Lewis, who was born in Inglewood, got his first gang tattoo when he was 10 and his first gun at 12. At the time of the shooting, he was 14.

The attack happened after a night of partying on July 11, 1994.

Bernard Nelson — a member of the MoneySide Hustlers gang, according to Gunner — asked Lewis to join him in a series of stickups. Lewis agreed.

Lewis later said he used Nelson’s handgun to rob three people before approaching La Pierre’s red Honda.

La Pierre lived in Torrance. Her mother was a baker at a supermarket. Her late father had been a truck driver. La Pierre was a junior at USC and worked three jobs to pay for school. She hoped to become a criminal lawyer.

She had gone out that night with several friends to the House of Blues on the Sunset Strip.

At 1:30 a.m. they had left the club, planning to eat at a nearby deli. But first La Pierre and her roommate, 21-year-old Samantha Holcomb, drove behind a friend as he took his date home in West Hollywood.

La Pierre pulled over to the curb at Santa Monica Boulevard and Sweetzer Avenue in West Hollywood. She was making a call on her cellphone when Lewis shot her. One bullet ripped through her spinal cord. Another lodged in Holcomb’s leg.

Holcomb’s injuries were not serious. La Pierre woke up in the hospital, paralyzed.

Detectives working the case tracked Lewis down three years later to a juvenile facility where he was serving a sentence for stabbing a gang rival.

Lewis pleaded guilty to attempted murder and served several years in a juvenile jail. He later testified in another murder case against Nelson, the gang leader, who now sits on death row at San Quentin State Prison.

In an interview in the Los Angeles Times in 2000, Lewis said he had not been able to shake the guilt over what he had done.

“I had a dream Lisa shot me in my neck,” he said, “and I was paralyzed and she was rolling me down stairs.”

Posted by on Mar 26 2010. Filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

7 Comments for “USC student’s 1994 shooting could be reopened as a homicide case”

  1. FYI, I can’t see this correctly on the latest Montif browser.

  2. I really feel bad for that young lady, but I just wonder if that was a minority who was in the same situation would they be trying so hard to convict the defendant? I never heard of this happening before!!! He went to jail, and did his time, and now they want to try and prosecute him again? Is this double jeopardy or not?

  3. CHEEZE

    I wouldnt say double jeopardy because of the fact he did time for ATTEMPTED murder. Now shes dead and they want to get him for MURDER if the shooting cause the death.

  4. never heard of the gang, its all BS

  5. Frank Antoine Lewis

    This commit is more of a question then a statement; I would like to respectful ask alexalonso on what grounds does he have to state taht Money Side Hustlers are BS because he never heard of them. Go to one of four yards in any major California prisons and you will see taht real Gang Historians know about The Side. For those who need more knowledge keep an eye out for the Journey OF Frank Antoine Lewis,

  6. reality check

    I don’t get what’s so difficult to understand here. There’s no statue of limitations on murder. A murder could have occured 50 years ago and they could still charge and convict you for it. And duh everyone knows that you will be charged with the murder in the event your victim dies even at a later date. I could shoot someone tonight and leave them in a day facilty unable to function on their own. so they charge me 1 count attempted murder and I go to prison. Then while in prison victim dies,well of course you are now looking at murder charges. This maybe a foreign concept to you gang memebers and SYMPATHIZER that writes this sh*%,but maybe stop kil#i*gg people then you wont’ be in this situation.

    • Frank Antoine Lewis

      First and foremost get your facts stright bro I am tired of all you supposed legal experts and your opinoins about the crime that i committed. I can not be retried because in Cali in 1994 I would have needed to be 16 years old to be tried as an adult; it was not until 1995 when Pete Wilson signed a bill that allowed 14 year olds to be tried as adults, thus the reason i was not charged as an adult for the attempt. There it is in a nut shell get your mind right. So worry about your own situation you devil.

Leave a Reply to CHEEZE

*

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google

Photo Gallery

Log in |
  • My Kingdom Come – 2015
  • Hispanic Gangs
  • Homies Figures – The Original Homies
  • Prison Gangs
  • The Inside Man – Confidential Informant, Los Angeles Gangs & the LAPD
  • Email
  • Connecticut Drug Threat Assessment report – 2003
  • Dianne Feinstein Report, The Gang Prevention and Effective Deterrence Act: Combating the Spread of Gang Violence – 2003
  • National Alliance of Gang Investigators 2005
  • L.A. Area Terrorized by Marauding Youngsters
  • Other Cities
  • Three persons were killed by shotgun blast in hotel on Vermont Avenue, 1979
  • Jamiel’s Law, proposed by Mayoral candiate Walter Moore
  • MAYOR VILLARAIGOSA, CHIEF BRATTON, AND LOCAL AND FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES ANNOUNCE MAJOR CRACKDOWN ON L.A. STREET GANGS
  • Los Angeles Police Gang Enforcement Initiaitives – 2007
  • Passing of Vincent A Alonso
  • SG Music Group
  • Crip Gangs
  • Bloods
  • Asian Gangs
  • Forums
  • Shop
  • Injunctions
  • contact
  • Resources