Two men shot, one fatally, at Compton Metro station
By Molly Hennessy-Fiske, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
9:44 AM PDT, April 29, 2008
A fatal shooting at the Compton Metro Blue Line station Monday left one man dead and another seriously wounded, authorities said.
An unidentified male opened fire on the station about 6 p.m., killing a man in his 50s, said Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Sgt. Rich Pena.
One victim died at the scene, Pena said. The other was shot twice but was able to run into a nearby grocery store to hide, Pena said. He was later taken to a local hospital where his injuries were not considered life-threatening this morning, deputies said.
No arrests had been made this morning, and investigators have not released descriptions of the shooter or the names of the victims, Pena said.
The attack marks the sixth fatal shooting in Compton since April 17, including the double homicide of a man in a wheelchair and the man who was pushing him April 20. Andrew Lemus, 19, has been charged with murder in connection with that shooting.