Second Suspect Held in Shooting Death of 13-Year-Old Queens Boy
by Anahad O’Connor
October 10, 2009
The police arrested a second person on Friday in connection with the shooting death last week of a 13-year-old Queens boy who unknowingly walked into the middle of a fight between two rival gangs.
The boy, Kevin Miller, a freshman at the Humanities and the Arts Magnet High School in Cambria Heights, was on his way to a McDonald’s restaurant on Oct. 2 when two members of the Crips gang fired at three Bloods gang members in front of a carwash near the corner of Linden and Springfield Boulevards, the authorities said.
Kevin turned to run when the first shot was fired, but he and another bystander — a 17-year-old attendant at the carwash — were hit, Kevin in the head and the worker, who survived, in the leg. On Friday, the Queens district attorney charged Gregory Calas, 18, with murder, assault, criminal possession of a weapon and tampering with physical evidence. He would face 25 years to life in prison if convicted.
Nnonso Ekwegbalu, 16, who is accused of being the other gunman, was arraigned on similar charges three days after the killing. He was ordered held without bail and is set to return to court on Oct. 19. The district attorney, Richard A. Brown, said Mr. Calas and Mr. Ekwegbalu were members of the Crips gang. Mr. Brown said neither Kevin nor the carwash attendant were affiliated with gangs, and they were not the gunmen’s intended targets.
“This case is another example of the mindless gun-related violence and street gang mentality that turns our streets into battlefields and too often takes innocent lives and recklessly endangers public safety,” Mr. Brown said in a statement. “The result of such gunplay is that a 13-year-old boy, who was taken far before his time, is being buried today, and his family must struggle with his loss.”