techquest in Culver City provides terrible service

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
Anonymous20

techquest in Culver City provides terrible service

Unread post by Anonymous20 » October 2nd, 2003, 6:57 pm

I put my laptop in this shop in Culver City, CA and paid $300 but the work they did was shotty and they lied about thier claims.

Read article I wrote about this shop and the poor service they provided.
http://www.streetgangs.com/newsletter/techquest.html

Where are the good computer repair places at?
Last edited by Anonymous20 on October 3rd, 2003, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ice
What city do you live in now?: SF

Re: techquest in Culver City provides terrible service

Unread post by Ice » October 2nd, 2003, 7:06 pm

shit, never pay for sumptin like that man, i always give my computer to some friends thats good with computers, indian & pakistani cats or sum bulgarians to fix it...i would never pay for sumptin like that...same goes for my car...only in a real bad situation would i take it to a car repair place.......its a good article though...

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » October 7th, 2003, 4:50 pm

Business as usual for many computer resellers in SoCal in my opinion. Look it at it this way Alonso: you ARE surrounded. You are surrounded by uncaring ignorant people who don't give a rat's as_s about you as a person nor anything you are trying to do. It's easier to lie to a customer and hope they don't come back, come back after you have left the company for a better job, or at least come back after your lunch break which you are late for. And that's assuming the person you spoke with was smart enough to know that what they were saying wasn't even true (I mean there could have been someone they report to or a tech they asked about it who told them that and they believed it).

But either way it doesn't matter because you got screwe_d and they don't care that you tried to ensure the matter would resolve/be resolved before you sent your property clear across the country either because unless that contigency is covered contractually they don't have to. I bet they are telling you to "just bring it back" so they can fix it. ROFL!

Believe me I know. I run up across it all the time. Fortunately, as a certified degreed computer engineer I can do everything myself and only face a potential problem when I have to rely on "somebody else" for a part or something. But they usually manage to screw that up so I've become as detailed as yourself in my approach. Like I said: we ARE surrounded!

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » December 16th, 2003, 4:57 pm

UPDATE This company agreed to take another look at this laptop to see what they can do and they informed me today that they want me to pay an additional $400.00 to replace a bad bulb that they initially put in. I told them forget it. I am taking my laptop somewhere else.

Who knows of a good laptop repair shop?

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » December 16th, 2003, 6:06 pm

I don't know of any down by the University but who is the manufacturer of the notebook computer and what is the model type? Also what is the name of the bulb that needs to be replaced? Is there a manufacturer and part # associated with the bulb as well?

In my work, notebook computers are normally purchased from a notebook manufacturer such as IBM, Compaq, HP, etc.. They have maintenance agreements (typically 1 to 3 years depending on what you selected) that are included in the bundle that normally comes with the notebook when you buy it. So it's kind of easy to get hardware support when the warranty is still in effect as you just call them up, go through the troubleshooting steps on the phone and if the problem is not resolved, then you box it up and send it back to the manufacturer to fix.

Now the notebooks that are put together and sold, well, that's another story. Also, if you have a mainstream manufacturer notebook but it's out of warranty and you want to save money to have it repaired locally that is another story as well. So, ya usually fix it yourself or find the best place in town to have it done. Notebook backlight bulbs are not normally an item most people mess with as they are so difficult to get right. Good solid shops like Sky Computer Services, for example, will replace the screen but not the backlight bulb.

It seems in more out of the way places in the USA your hardware guys are more accustomed to replacing the backlight bulb in a clean room as they have to be more full service. But in these urban areas, less hardware guys get involved with that.

You could make a call and see if USA Computer repair could help. I believe they do this procedure.

http://ns1.unitedserviceapps.net/repair.htm

CaptainSaveAHoe
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by CaptainSaveAHoe » December 19th, 2003, 12:29 pm

Unless your laptop is new or was really expensive....its better to just get a new laptop instead of paying $400+ to repair the old one. YOu can get very nice latops for $600+ these days from Dell directly online.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » January 13th, 2004, 3:30 am

i'll keep you guys in mind.