Singapore gangs

Discuss Afghanistan [Afġānistān, افغانستان], Bahrain, Brunei, Cambodia, China [中华/中華, Zhonghua], East Timor, Indonesia, Iran [Irān, جمهوری اسلامی ایران], Iraq [al-‘Irāq, العراق], Israel [מְדִינַת יִשְׂרָאֵל, Yisrā'el], Japan [日本国], Jordan [Al-Mamlaka al-Urduniyya al-Hashemiyya], Korea [한국, Hanguk], Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nippon, Oman, Pakistan [Pākistān, اسلامی جمہوریۂ پاکستان], Palestine [As-Sulṭa Al-Filasṭīniyya,السلطة الوطنية الفلسطينية], Philipines [Pilipinas, pɪlɪˈpinɐs], Qatar, Saudi Arabia [as-Su‘ūdīyah, as-Su‘ūdīyah], Singapore [Singapura, 新加坡共和国], Syria, Taiwan, Thailand [Thai, ราชอาณาจักรไทย], United Arab Emirates [دولة الإمارات العربية المتحدة], Vietnam [Việt Nam].and Yemen.
MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » October 13th, 2005, 7:32 pm

wutevr wrote:oh nows theres gangs ? didnt sum kid get cained for throwing gum on the street....hate ta see wut happens ta gangbangers when dey get caught for robberies!
I heard about that, and you get fined $1000 dollars for not flushing the toilet, and if the dude that reports its (like the dude behind you in line) gets a $200 reward!

But this was like 9 years ago. Not sure if it's the same.

I remeber some American kids did GRAFFITTI there, they pounded that dude out.

wutevr
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by wutevr » October 14th, 2005, 2:49 am

End Violence NOW wrote:
wutevr wrote:oh nows theres gangs ? didnt sum kid get cained for throwing gum on the street....hate ta see wut happens ta gangbangers when dey get caught for robberies!
I heard about that, and you get fined $1000 dollars for not flushing the toilet, and if the dude that reports its (like the dude behind you in line) gets a $200 reward!

O yah that wuz it, HAHAH, i shouldnt laf that was aired live, wuznt it on TV?

Mont4gue

Unread post by Mont4gue » October 14th, 2005, 8:15 am

Nah you don't get fined for not flushin the toilet or shit like that. Yea there was this guy i believe his name is Michael Fay or somethin like that, what he did was vandalize dozens of cars. Think he was fined but he continued doin it so he got caned and sent back home.

wutevr
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by wutevr » October 15th, 2005, 5:06 am

Mont4gue wrote:Nah you don't get fined for not flushin the toilet or shit like that. Yea there was this guy i believe his name is Michael Fay or somethin like that, what he did was vandalize dozens of cars. Think he was fined but he continued doin it so he got caned and sent back home.
so iz it true that if u get kaught stealing they cut you hand off!

Mont4gue

Unread post by Mont4gue » October 15th, 2005, 5:16 am

hell no man... you just get locked up. there isn't any choppin of anythin at all for any crime.

wutevr
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by wutevr » October 16th, 2005, 7:26 am

Mont4gue wrote:hell no man... you just get locked up. there isn't any choppin of anythin at all for any crime.
o alright thanks 4 klearin that up!

Mont4gue

Unread post by Mont4gue » October 16th, 2005, 7:51 am

anytime dude

dkey
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by dkey » October 21st, 2005, 9:09 am

End Violence NOW wrote:

yeah i guess your referring to michael fay he was given 3 strokes and 3 months jail sentence for doing graffiti (fucking sucks for him) caning is mandatory for certain crimes(armed robbery, rioting, kidnapping , murder, vandalism, arson, firearms, drugs trafficking etc etc)

dkey
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by dkey » October 21st, 2005, 9:14 am

Mont4gue wrote:hell no man... you just get locked up. there isn't any choppin of anythin at all for any crime.
yep the prisons here are shitty there are 3 different kinds of cells; 1-man cell,4-man cell and 16-man cell. 1-man cell is for those who have killed someone. theres no beds in the cell u sleep on the filthy floors u share a toilet bowl among other inmates and u get your water from the toilet bowl too!!. theres this emergency "button" in the cell u can press it if ur in need of serious help.. and if u like deliberately press it for fun u will be transfer to the
a cell where u will be kept alone for 2weeks(i think) and i heard for some prisons inmates are allowed an hour out of their cells a day. they are required to not to have clothes on(this is true)

dkey
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by dkey » October 21st, 2005, 9:18 am

Mont4gue wrote:Nah you don't get fined for not flushin the toilet or shit like that. Yea there was this guy i believe his name is Michael Fay or somethin like that, what he did was vandalize dozens of cars. Think he was fined but he continued doin it so he got caned and sent back home.
caning is mandatory for vandalism if paint is involved.. but your like physcially unfit for caning then u wont be caned and u will just get a longer sentence..

Mont4gue

Unread post by Mont4gue » October 22nd, 2005, 4:00 am

yea and the person that canes you actually has to go through proper training to hit the same spot every single time and there has to be a doctor beside you the whole time.

counter106
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

yo

Unread post by counter106 » October 23rd, 2005, 12:34 am

im 18 from singapore got many friends from salakau.yea theres rudeboy.they are not so hard.

dkey
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by dkey » October 23rd, 2005, 6:29 am

counter106 u local or wat?

dkey
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by dkey » October 23rd, 2005, 6:31 am

Mont4gue wrote:yea and the person that canes you actually has to go through proper training to hit the same spot every single time and there has to be a doctor beside you the whole time.
i thought they werent supposed to cane the same spot??

Mont4gue

Unread post by Mont4gue » October 23rd, 2005, 9:49 am

the exact opposite...they have to hit the same spot every single time...they were trained to do so...they would even have to go through the whole figure 8 shit to guarantee maximum force. there's a rumour or story goin around that the cane is actually soaked in horse urine first before canin...i dont know what for and cant confirm this...oh yeah and the circumference of the cane is calculated through your weight.

dkey
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by dkey » October 24th, 2005, 1:08 am

Mont4gue wrote:the exact opposite...they have to hit the same spot every single time...they were trained to do so...they would even have to go through the whole figure 8 shit to guarantee maximum force. there's a rumour or story goin around that the cane is actually soaked in horse urine first before canin...i dont know what for and cant confirm this...oh yeah and the circumference of the cane is calculated through your weight.
isee that was some interesting shit i dind know that.. yeah they keep in soak in a chemical to prevent it from spiltting apart... ever been in there before?

Mont4gue

Unread post by Mont4gue » October 24th, 2005, 2:14 am

nah not me...fortunately...my friend did though...the scars remain there for life

counter106
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by counter106 » October 26th, 2005, 11:06 pm

dkey actually im not 18 im 16 and im a local.

dkey
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by dkey » October 27th, 2005, 4:52 am

Mont4gue wrote:nah not me...fortunately...my friend did though...the scars remain there for life
oh that sucks man wat happened to him?? how many strokes??

dkey
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by dkey » October 27th, 2005, 4:53 am

counter where u studying at?

Mont4gue

Unread post by Mont4gue » October 27th, 2005, 8:15 am

Think he got 4.All in one session.It definitely sucked man...but the guy's strong.

harafish

Unread post by harafish » October 27th, 2005, 11:11 am

All these silly urban myths about singapore need to be clarified. The totalitarian idea of the government seems to be what the whole world views singapore as. Not ture though, the law IS strict. But since our judiciary laws are based on the british system, it isnt a case of get caught, get caned and end of story. Street gangs in singapore used to be an ethnic thing when they first started, different racial groups banding together to get through the tough times, welfare for the poorer sections and stuff like that. Slowy they denigrated from that ideal with a more enforced and concientious law and policing power, to become what they are today. Drug traffickers, brothel runners and so on.

The younger aspirants of the generation are just confused in their own way i guess. Everything is more or less pretty good, maybe economically Singapore may not be doing that well, but it isnt a case of life and death on the streets due to poverty for most folks. So they channel their energies into different avenues of rebellion.

Another point of note I think is very enlightening would be the tribalized culture and the signifiers of tattoos and body art. (Fighting buddha, the "tiam" on the forehead, the dragons with red eyes, guan gong and so on)

Other than that, there is alot about car and bike culture as well. Bike gangs are notorious and terms like "rounding" which basically just means cruising the streets for the richer kids ( whom, in any elitist grouping, regardless of race, have banded together and labeled themselves gangs).

Well, thats it for now. For the record, Im from lo guan.

harafish

Re: The true side of singapore gangs

Unread post by harafish » October 27th, 2005, 11:24 am

Mont4gue wrote: 1. 369
2.18 Sio Yi Ho
3. Hai Lok San
4. Omega
5. 303
6. Ang Meng Tong
7. Hai Khim
8. Pak Hai Tong
9. Gi Lian Kiat
10. Gua Sum Sia
11. 24 Leng Hai San
12. Lo Kuan
13. Ang Soon Tong

Sorry, there are more but I can't seem to remember them right now.
I remember the indonesian gangs as well. What was that? Lido Kids? So many more. They arent really splinter groups in the case of the the bloods and the crips so to speak. They are more or less just kids with too much time on their hands, and as everyone knows, when you are that age, belonging in certain factions that borders on outright rebellion always pulls the chicks.

And I guess the drug trade is mostly interstate. Malaysia, thailand, cambodia and so on. Music played a big part too. Im a way that tupac released his anguish and life's hard knocks unto rap and hip hop, there is a certain attraction for the singaporean chinese gangs to trance, the other ethnic groups have their own genre of choice.

Any comments?

I would hazard that if you are singaporean and you are young, the gang scene is not what is commonly portrayed in the media. Especially in our times of western capitalist television. Alot of time is spent waiting for that "xia lan xiao eh" to show up. And more often than not, you will find yourselves sitting around the coffeeshop doing nothing in particular. Nothing really constructive. I think going to the beach to get a tan is much more rewarding.

dkey
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by dkey » October 28th, 2005, 7:27 pm

harafish wrote:All these silly urban myths about singapore need to be clarified. The totalitarian idea of the government seems to be what the whole world views singapore as. Not ture though, the law IS strict. But since our judiciary laws are based on the british system, it isnt a case of get caught, get caned and end of story. Street gangs in singapore used to be an ethnic thing when they first started, different racial groups banding together to get through the tough times, welfare for the poorer sections and stuff like that. Slowy they denigrated from that ideal with a more enforced and concientious law and policing power, to become what they are today. Drug traffickers, brothel runners and so on.

The younger aspirants of the generation are just confused in their own way i guess. Everything is more or less pretty good, maybe economically Singapore may not be doing that well, but it isnt a case of life and death on the streets due to poverty for most folks. So they channel their energies into different avenues of rebellion.

Another point of note I think is very enlightening would be the tribalized culture and the signifiers of tattoos and body art. (Fighting buddha, the "tiam" on the forehead, the dragons with red eyes, guan gong and so on)

Other than that, there is alot about car and bike culture as well. Bike gangs are notorious and terms like "rounding" which basically just means cruising the streets for the richer kids ( whom, in any elitist grouping, regardless of race, have banded together and labeled themselves gangs).

Well, thats it for now. For the record, Im from lo guan.
how long you been in there for?

harafish

Unread post by harafish » October 29th, 2005, 11:44 pm

dkey wrote: how long you been in there for?
Hmmm about 5 years? After which my family moved to the states in NY. I went to australia to study intermittenly and now Im pretty much just free travelling and free lancing. How about yourself? ;)

counter106
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by counter106 » October 30th, 2005, 6:22 pm

where u studying at dkey

counter106
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by counter106 » October 30th, 2005, 6:28 pm

eh isn't salakau part of 369

Mont4gue

Unread post by Mont4gue » October 31st, 2005, 6:26 am

salakau is 369...salakau means 369 in hokkien(dialect)

counter106
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by counter106 » October 31st, 2005, 7:02 pm

ok.eh mont4gue u know satangjambul

counter106
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by counter106 » October 31st, 2005, 7:03 pm

i mean sarangjambul and budak busuk

Mont4gue

Unread post by Mont4gue » October 31st, 2005, 9:19 pm